Categories > Celebrities > Savage Garden > Night and Day

7

by Rose_Angel 2 reviews

Darren and Daniel in 1920s America.

Category: Savage Garden - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Colby Taylor, Daniel Jones, Darren Hayes, Kathleen de Leon - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2005-05-29 - Updated: 2005-05-29 - 1558 words

2Ambiance
Disclaimer: A silly made up story with stolen names. This never happened and is not being used for profit. Enjoy.
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: Mentions of abortion
Night and Day 7/20
"What moments divine, what raptures serene till clouds came along to disperse the joys we had tasted." Begin the Beguine, Ella Fitzgerald
Darren spent Christmas Eve with his wife, the two of them sitting in the parlor, not speaking at all. Colby had put some music on the phonograph and she sat now, reading, as Darren stared out the window. They sat like this for nearly half an hour until Colby threw down her book. "What's happening with us, Darren?" she asked.
"Whatever do you mean, darling?"
"Don't act with me, Darren. I know you're not cultured and suave. I know you much too well. Now, what is the matter?"
"Colby, you know what the problem is."
"You don't want me to have this child."
"Your powers of deduction are stunning," Darren retorted. "It wasn't in the plans, Colby."
"What would you have me do, Darren?" Colby asked. "I refuse to just make it go away."
"Colby..."
"Darren, it's dangerous and illegal!"
"You should have considered that before getting pregnant."
"Darren, you adore children. And I know this isn't your child, but I honestly believed you would treat him as your own. Now could you please tell me what is really going on in that mind of yours?"
Darren stood up from his chair and began to pace before he finally turned to his wife. "I don't love you, Colby."
"Not in the way most husbands love their wives, yes, I know."
"Colby, I love Daniel."
"Darren, honestly, you cannot love another man, you know that."
"Colby, I love him. I want to be with him. I want to take him back to Australia where we can live together."
This caught the pregnant woman's attention. She stared up at the man she had married six years earlier, a man she had grown to love over the years as he took care of her and showed her the affection several of her lovers often hadn't. They had never actually made love and yet, she did love him and was attracted to him. "I-I-I don't understand," she murmured. "We're married, Darren. You and I. We promised forever six years ago. And Daniel is engaged. He is going to promise forever as well. We took vows, Darren. Sacred vows."
"Oh Christ, Colby, they were a farce and you know it!"
"A-a farce?" she repeated.
"A lie. A show. Pretension. We were two children playing house to satisfy our families. Can you honestly tell me you think I meant a word of those vows? Neither of us has forsaken anyone else. We have committed adultery again and again. And yet, now that you are not and probably will never be with another man again in your life, you want me to suddenly become faithful as well? I will not do that, Colby. I love Daniel Jones. Not you."
She continued to stare at him, tears beginning to splash onto her cheeks. "I don't understand, Darren. You always tell me that I am stunning and magnificent and inspirational and yet I am not good enough for you. You must have men. What exactly do they offer you that I cannot?"
"I refuse to go into any lewd details."
"Is it sex then?"
"Not only that," Darren shrugged, "I am just not attracted to females."
"Then how could you lie to me and call me those wonderful things?"
"Because they are true, Colby. You are magnificent and stunning and inspirational. Those are not lies. I see who you are, I am just not captivated by your brand of stunning."
"Do you tell Daniel he is stunning?"
"You very rarely tell a man he is stunning, Colby, but yes, he is stunning."
"Are you going to leave me then?"
"I cannot answer that for sure yet, my darling."
"If you walk out of here," she found strength somewhere deep inside, "I will make your life a living hell. Everyone will know here about your debauchery. They all believe you are the perfect husband, but you are wicked and sinful, Darren. And everyone will know."
"You will not."
"I will," she nodded and stood, almost taller than him, "and I will tell Mr. De Leon as well. And then what will happen to your poor Daniel? Sodomy is a crime, darling, punishable by law. If God will not punish you, the state of New York shall."
He stared at her, his entire body quivering and suddenly, she knew the fear of possibly being struck. Anger flashed in those fantastic blue eyes and she realized she had gone much too far for that evening, but it was too late to apologize and now she must allow Darren to do whatever it was he wished to do. He clenched his fist and then took a deep breath. "You will never threaten me in my own household, Colby. If you so much as jest about telling anyone about Daniel and me, I will have to take action. Now, go to bed." He turned on his heel and began up the stairs and then turned to her, "Good night, dear girl. Happy Christmas Eve."
Daniel spent most of the next day with Kathleen and the rest of the de Leons, opening presents and eating. Kathleen had given him a pair of leather gloves and a cashmere scarf and now, they sat around, talking about the upcoming wedding and other entirely meaningless things. Daniel let his mind wander as he listened to the family blather on. He had never, in his entire life, been able to afford leather gloves and cashmere scarves and while he was thankful for the chance to own such beautiful things, he couldn't help wondering if the next forty years of his life would be as meaningless as this Christmas. Expensive presents and little else. In his own family, his parents had not been able to afford wonderful gifts, but they had always made due and sometimes, Daniel's ridiculous homemade presents were much better than these. His mind than wandered to Darren, wondering what his lover was doing this Christmas morning. He worried about the man, especially after the cocaine incident. Darren seemed to be losing his mind under the stress of becoming a father to another man's child, but also their love affair. He loved Darren, he knew that with every ounce of his being, but as he looked at Kathleen he knew he could never hurt her. He knew he could never leave her for his true love, because then she would be left with the stigma of her fiancé running away with a man. And yet, he couldn't stand hurting Darren either. He sighed deeply and ran his fingers through his blond locks just as Kathleen begged for him to go ice skating with her. He would have to make his decision another day.
That night, Darren escaped from Colby's cold stare to the hotel and waited for Daniel to join him. Christmas had been hell as Colby had spent more than half the day crying in her room. He felt horrible about making her cry and worry, but he just did not love her, and wasn't sure he ever could. He had spent the last six years of his life trying to make everyone around him happy, and yet, he had never once been happy himself. For the past two months, he had been happy with Daniel but all of that now was about to be ruined by the other people in their lives. People society demanded they should love. But Darren could not love Colby and he was sure Daniel didn't really love Kathleen. "Darling, what are you thinking about?" Daniel suddenly appeared behind him.
"Nothing," Darren smiled. "Happy Christmas, Danny boy."
"Happy Christmas, Dare," Daniel grinned. "I have a present for you."
"Oh?" Darren laughed.
Daniel removed a box from his coat pocket and handed it over to Darren. "It's really very special, Dare, I hope you like it."
Darren opened the box to reveal a beautiful pocket watch. "Oh, Danny..."
"It's engraved as well."
Darren turned it over and read, "With all my love, Daniel." He kissed his lover on the lips and then turned to his own coat. "I also got you a gift."
Daniel opened the box and found beautiful golden cufflinks. "Oh, Darren, this is too much."
"I also had them engraved," Darren smiled. "With two D's. For Darren and Daniel. Will you wear them, Danny?"
"Of course I will," Daniel smiled and then kissed the shorter man. "How was your Christmas?"
"Horrific, but let's not talk about it," Darren shrugged. "I see you have a cashmere scarf. From Kathleen?"
"Yes," Daniel nodded.
"Beautiful." They stood in silence for a minute and then Darren said, "Do you really love her, Daniel?"
"Darren."
"Just answer the question, Daniel, and then we can sin in peace."
"I don't love her the way I love you," Daniel replied.
"Then why won't you leave her?"
"Because shame is a horrible thing to deal with," Daniel answered. "Isn't that the same reason you haven't left Colby yet?"
"I haven't found anyone to leave Colby for yet," Darren sighed. "Until now that is."
TBC
Sign up to rate and review this story