Categories > Celebrities > Savage Garden > Night and Day

6

by Rose_Angel 0 reviews

Darren and Daniel in 1920s America.

Category: Savage Garden - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Colby Taylor, Daniel Jones, Darren Hayes, Kathleen de Leon - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2005-05-29 - Updated: 2005-05-29 - 1626 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: Names have been taken to create two extremely fictional characters. No harm is intended and no money is being made.
Rating: PG-13
Warning: Drug use.
Night and Day 6/20
"Safe in your arms, far from alarms, daylight shall come but in vain. Tenderly press close to my breast, kiss me, kiss me again." Kiss Me Again, Frank Sinatra
"You're staying home for Christmas, right?" Colby asked from her dressing table where she was brushing her hair.
Darren shrugged. "I don't know. I haven't talked to Daniel about it."
"You're going to spend Christmas with him?" Colby swung around to stare at her husband.
"You spent my birthday with your gentleman friend," Darren countered. "He may be able to get away. If so, I'm going to spend Christmas with him."
"What about me?"
"What about you, Colby?" Darren retorted. "You assured me nothing would change. I've never been with you on Christmas, why should it change?"
"Did you spend your money on him?"
"Darling, the only person I've spent my money on this Christmas is you," Darren walked forward and kissed her forehead. "Now, good night."
"You're going to him?"
Darren paused at her door. "Colby, you said nothing would change."
"Nothing is changing."
"Colby Taylor Hayes, I may be a freak of nature, but I am still the man of this house and I will not have my wife questioning me or telling me who I may or may not see. I married you because you did not have a jealous nature."
"Are you going to him, Darren?"
"No, I am not," Darren sighed. "But I am going out."
"To do what?"
"No more questions, Colby. None. Do you understand?"
He marched out of her bedroom and out the door. His driver was waiting for him. "The hotel, sir?"
"No," he sighed. "Just The Star."
He wasn't sure what he was doing, though Charles had told him that a man at the club was selling cocaine and though Darren had never tried the drug, he felt it was the only way to separate from the life he was leading. It had never bothered him before that he was having affairs with men while married, because Colby was doing the same. But now that his wife was pregnant and was no longer having affairs, he was starting to wonder what would be best for both of them. A small part of him wanted to end all affairs and be there for his wonderful, supportive wife and her child, but it was the selfish part of him that was winning the battle. His self-seeking side was telling him to run. To take Daniel back to Australia and never have to think about Colby again. His head was aching with all of the possibilities and he just wanted to quiet his conscience.
"Good evening, Darren," Charles greeted him when he came in. "Where's that Daniel fellow?"
"With his fiancée," I reply. "Is he here?"
"Darren, I don't know if you should do it," Charles sighed. "I mean, with Colby and Daniel and all of that."
"Charles, those are perfect reasons to do it."
"It's more for fun."
"I adore fun."
"Look, Darren, go home. Think this over."
"Charles, listen to me, I am going to buy some of this stuff and then I am going to go to my hotel and I am going to use it. I will go home tomorrow morning."
"If that's what you want to do, fine," Charles sighed. "Take mine. I have to go home tonight and don't have time to feel the effects."
Darren took the little bag of the drug and told his driver to take him back to his hotel. He had never used cocaine before, but had seen it used, and he knew what to do. After just a few sniffs, he felt himself drifting away into nothingness, and that was perfectly fine.
He woke up several hours later to a banging on the door. His head ached and he felt like shit, but he would never forget how wonderful he had felt the night before. It had been the best feeling ever, better even than sex. "Go way!" he shouted at the door.
"Darren, it's me! Open the door!"
"Go way!" Darren couldn't exactly make out the voice on the other side of the door, but it sounded like Daniel.
A second later the door opened and Daniel marched inside. "You know, Darren, I really don't like when my lover's wife has to call me to ask where you are. And I also don't like it when I have to tell my fiancée that something has come up and I can't eat lunch with her. And I really don't like that I have to come here and drag you out of bed."
"Go way, Daniel," Darren murmured.
"Are you drunk?"
"No."
Daniel started to look around the room and then noticed the white powder on the bedside table. "Oh, Darren."
"Hmm?"
"Did you take some of this last night?"
Darren forced himself to open his eyes and look at his lover. "Yes."
"Why?"
"Daniel, let's go away together," Darren suddenly said.
"What?"
"You and me. We can run away. I'll take you back to Australia, and we can have a house and we can be together and not have to worry about anyone in the rest of the world. We'll live on the beach."
"What about Kathleen and Colby?"
"Kathleen is just your fiancée. Break off the engagement."
"And your wife?" Daniel sat down next to Darren.
"What about her?" Darren shrugged.
"Darren, she's pregnant."
"Daniel, it's her fault. I specifically told her to make sure that did not happen. And she got pregnant. It's not my responsibility to take care of the little bastard."
Daniel stared at his lover for a moment, unable to believe what he had just heard. Darren was so caring and loving and now he seemed to be taking a depraved indifference towards his inspirational wife and her unborn child. It couldn't be right, Darren loved children, and Darren knew his place in the world. Darren knew they could not escape to Australia. "You don't mean that."
"I do," Darren nodded and got off the bed. "I'm not going to stay here anymore, Danny boy. I'm going to leave. I'm tired of being the actor, the player. I don't want to be Lord Robert Hayes's son. I don't want to be responsible. I could have gone back to London at any moment I wanted, but I stayed here because if I go back, then I have to be responsible. I would be in the public eye and a good friend of the king. I would be in the House of Lords and not be able to have affairs and I'd be horribly unhappy. I stayed here because here, I am barely known. If Colby hadn't been so dedicated to being a socialite, do you think I'd be at all the parties? Of course, not. I hate this place, Danny. And I hate who I am and I hate who my wife is. I just want to be happy. And I want to be happy with you in Australia. Because I know you hate it here too. And I know you do not want to be part of the social circle. You're not cut out for it, Danny boy. I know you're not. Let's go, Daniel. We can leave tonight and never come back."
"No, Darren, we can't," Daniel stood up and walked to the door. "I made a promise to Kathleen and I don't want to break it. I'm not like you, Darren. I love Kathleen. I really do. She's beautiful and intelligent, and at times, she can be very witty. I'm not going to leave someone I love."
"Don't you love me?" Darren sighed, walking to the blond man. "I thought you loved me. That's what you tell me every day."
"Darren, I do love you," Daniel opened the door. "But I love Kathleen and I can't just break a promise to her because I love you as well."
"You have to choose who you love more, Danny."
"God, Darren, don't ask me to do that. Please. I'm confused, I don't understand this. I've never loved anyone as much as I love you, but it wouldn't be fair to Kathleen. None of this is fair to Kathleen." He turned to leave. "Maybe we shouldn't see each other anymore, Darren."
"Don't say that, Daniel, please," Darren ran forward and embraced his lover. "I don't know what I'm saying. We can continue just as we are. We can. I'm sorry I even suggested it. We both have promises to uphold. I can continue acting. I can continue as the world's greatest husband. Just don't leave me, Daniel. I love you. I was bored before you and now I know what life is. I can be the actor. Shakespeare himself said 'all the world is a stage and all the men and women merely players' and I can do whatever you want. I can be the Darren you fell in love with. I'm never like this. I'm never insecure. For God's sake, I'm a Lord in England. I'm Lord Darren Stanley Hayes. And I will not succumb to this. I will not be weak."
"Darren, darling, hush," Daniel murmured as he kissed the rambling man on the lips. "You're extremely tense. Go home and spend Christmas Eve with your wife. I will see you Christmas evening."
"Of course you will, Danny boy. You can't resist me." And in that moment, Darren Hayes became the witty man he had been before. And Daniel wasn't sure what to think as he kissed his lover goodbye.
Sign up to rate and review this story