Categories > Celebrities > Savage Garden > Night and Day

5

by Rose_Angel 0 reviews

Darren and Daniel in 1920s America

Category: Savage Garden - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Colby Taylor, Daniel Jones, Darren Hayes, Kathleen de Leon - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-05-29 - Updated: 2005-05-29 - 2214 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: This is entirely made up. Don't sue.
Rating: PG.
Night and Day 5/20
"I'll get by as long as I have you, through the rain and darkness too, I'll not complain, I'll see it through...as long as I have you." I'll Get by (As Long as I have You) by Frank Sinatra
The sun had risen over New York City when Daniel finally woke. He lay in bed for a moment, breathing deeply, and then opened his eyes. For a minute, he had no idea where he was and then he remembered. "Shit!" he jumped up and began dressing.
"Where are you going, Danny boy?" Darren asked as he sat up.
"Darren, it's morning. I spent the night!"
"Yes, I know," Darren smiled. "And it was absolutely amazing. You certainly know what you're doing."
"Aren't you at all concerned?" Daniel nearly shouted. "We spent the night here. Your wife will be wondering where you are, and if Kathleen decided to stop by my home, she's wondering where I am."
"My wife knows fully well where I am," Darren growled. "And Kathleen should know as well."
"Have you lost your mind? If she finds out, if her father finds out, I'll be shipped back to Australia, third class, no questions asked. I cannot tell her. She will not put up with it."
"Daniel, darling, calm down," Darren got out of bed and put his hands on Daniel's strong shoulders. "You are extremely tense. Just breathe for a few moments and then we'll have a repeat of last night," he kissed Daniel's lips, "and then you can go home."
"Darren, I'm sorry. I can't. You know that," Daniel sat down the bed to put his shoes on. "And you should go home as well. We both have daily obligations. During the night, you are mine."
Darren sighed and picked up Daniel's jacket, searched the pockets, and pulled out a cigarette and a match. He lit the cigarette and took a deep, long drag. "Fine then, I'll see you tonight, darling."
"Yes, at the de Leon's Christmas party," Daniel nodded. "And I thought you don't smoke."
"There are plenty of things I've recently picked up, Daniel my boy. All right then, go. I'll see you at the Christmas party. Another acting job for the great Darren Hayes."
Daniel kissed him roughly and then left, leaving Darren to smoke his cigarette at the window. The hotel was not a pleasant one, no, it was extremely near The Star, and did not have the rich clientele of most of the hotels he had stayed in during his life. It looked over the much shoddier part of New York, a part of New York that wasn't at all proper and strict, but actually was extremely relaxed. Heroine and cocaine traveled around this part of New York, where youthful couples had petting parties and women wore shorter and shorter skirts. This was a place of cultural revolution and yet, as Darren dressed, he realized he was still trapped in the culture he had left behind in London. He was still ensnared in a marriage, still could not openly love men, he was still a societal taboo.
He walked home; the driver had left long ago in case Colby needed the car to go shopping. He loved walking in New York, much more than he liked having a cab take him back home. People were awake and running their businesses. Women were already out and beginning their shopping days, though as he came closer and closer to his home, he understood these women were the maids, ensuring everyone was happy in the household. He had never known poverty. His entire life had been beyond comfort, and yet, sometimes he craved destitution. Sometimes, he wondered if he would be happy without the so-called trappings of the rich and powerful. But he knew he would never survive. He loved having money. He loved his clothes and the ability to buy whatever he needed or desired. This was the beauty of being ridiculously rich. Getting whatever your selfish heart desired.
Upon coming to his house, he noticed a car in the front that certainly was not his own. He came in through the front door and heard two women laughing. He took a deep breath and then called out, "Hello?"
"Darren, darling!" Colby called. "We're in the breakfast room!"
Darren walked to the little breakfast room, a room made entirely of windows. It was a lovely sight first thing in the morning when the sun was shining and the pink and orange came through the glass. But it was also rather bothersome when the sun was risen and hot, and glaring. He almost jumped back when he saw Kathleen sitting at the table with Colby dressed in a black dress. "Well, aren't I the lucky one?" he laughed. "I come back from a walk and am greeted by the two most exquisite women in all of New York. Hello, my dear," he kissed Colby on the forehead, "and good morning, Miss de Leon. You look absolutely radiant this fine morning."
Kathleen giggled, something Darren found horrifically annoying, and found himself wondering how in the world Daniel put up with it. "Good morning, Mr. Hayes. I hear congratulations are in order."
Darren mixed some sugar and milk into his coffee. "Hmm?"
"Colby just told me about the child! Congratulations! I'm sure you're very excited."
He caught the cup before it smashed to the floor, but suddenly felt an irrepressible anger towards his wife. "Thank you, Miss de Leon, we are indeed extremely excited."
Kathleen turned back to Colby. "Daniel absolutely hates children. He says they are annoying, oppressive little demons that never give you a moment's peace. Maybe if he sees how eager your husband is, Colby, he will open his eyes to the joys of fatherhood."
"Well, you still have a bit before children, Kathleen. Daniel is still young, just give him time," Colby sipped at her coffee. "Speaking of Daniel, have you decided a wedding date?"
"Oh yes!" Kathleen nodded. "May seventh. I very much wanted a June wedding, but I think Daniel is getting a bit impatient, and we can't have that happening."
"Certainly not," Darren replied. "I know before my wedding day, I was so impatient to spend the rest of my life with the most beautiful woman I had ever seen." He smiled at Colby and took her hand, acting every bit the dutiful husband. "I'm sure Daniel is impatient for the same reason, Kathleen. And, of course, he may very well miss Australia."
Kathleen nodded and then stood up. "Well, whatever the reason is, he will soon find himself a married man. Colby, thank you for the coffee. And both of you, my sincerest congratulations. I shall see you tonight."
Their butler led her out and the second Darren heard the door close, he jerked his hand away from Colby's and stared at her. "So I suppose this means you won't be doing anything about it?"
"What would you have me do, Darren?"
"I wanted you to take care of it, Colby! I do not want to be a father, especially when the damn thing isn't even my son!"
"I am not going to take care of it, Darren. I want to keep it. It's my child."
Darren got up and began pacing. "We had a deal, Colby. We had a deal that there would be no children. We had a deal that mistakes would not happen. We had a deal..."
"Darren, I do not want to spend my life without children just because you love men instead of women! I do not want to be lonely just because I must cater to your tastes! I've been catering to them for six years now. I will not do it anymore."
"And what of your gentleman friend? Have you told him?"
"I have."
"And?"
"He does not want to be a part of its life. He asked me to take care of it and I refused."
"So the responsibility would then fall to me?"
Colby looked up from her coffee cup. "And would that be so horrible, Darren? Would it be so horrible for the son of Robert Hayes to finally take some responsibility in his life?"
"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"
"Oh come now, Darren, you and I both know you are irresponsible. You go out every night with Daniel, making love to him, and drinking and doing God knows what else. Last night, you stayed out all night and come home in rumpled clothing looking like hell. He's engaged, Darren. Engaged. What will happen after May seventh?"
"We haven't spoken about it," Darren growled. "And mine and Daniel's relationship is not the point right now. What is this child going to do to me, Colby? Will I be forced to give up Daniel and live in a marriage where I am not happy?"
"If you want to be a part of my life, have me and this child as a cover up, then I will allow you to do so. I am not asking you to give up anything," she stood. "And if you're so unhappy in this marriage, Darren, imagine how I feel."
Darren watched as she walked away and then fell into a chair, suddenly getting the feeling that his whole world was falling miserably apart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Daniel came to the de Leon house ten minutes before the Christmas party was supposed to start. "Daniel, darling!" Kathleen smiled at him. She was dressed in an emerald green silk dress, with a dark fur over one shoulder. He was dressed in a more formal suit than ever before and felt extremely uncomfortable. He had spent the majority of his day preparing for his "performance" as Darren called them. "You look wonderful, darling."
"As do you, Katie girl," he kissed her gloved hand. "Now, tell me, is there anything specific I must know for tonight?"
"Well, be sure to say hello to everyone, and please try to hold a decent conversation, Daniel. You are very quiet. Oh! And do not forget to congratulate the Hayeses. They are expecting."
"Expecting what?" Daniel asked.
"A child!" Kathleen giggled.
"A child?" Daniel felt the world spin. "Darren and Colby are expecting a child?"
"Yes," Kathleen nodded. "Though, and do not say a word about this to anyone, Daniel, it may not be his."
"Why do you say that?"
"Because she has been having a bit of an affair for several months now. But yes, they are expecting, and Mr. Hayes is absolutely thrilled. The poor man is completely oblivious to his wife's horrible doings. He worships her."
Daniel nodded. "Of course. I will remember to congratulate them both when they come in."
"Good," Kathleen nodded. "I will be watching you, Daniel. Please try to be sociable."
She went away and Daniel stood in the middle of the foyer, his heart pounding. If Colby was pregnant, what did it mean for his and Darren's relationship? And why hadn't Darren told him? Anger started to boil within him. What right did Darren have to keep secrets from him? Love was all about sharing secrets and trusting each other, something Darren obviously was not doing. He stood in the foyer until the guests started arriving and then he moved into the rather large ballroom, standing next to Kathleen and her parents, greeting the guests. When Colby and Darren came, he made sure to congratulate them, and also made sure not to even look at Darren. He spent most of the night dancing with Kathleen, talking to other people in the room, and avoiding his lover. "Daniel."
Daniel turned from a conversation he was having with a business associate of Mr. de Leon's. "Ahh, Mr. Hayes. How are you this evening?"
"May I speak to you in private?" Darren asked.
"Of course," Daniel excused himself and led Darren out to the gardens. "What do you want?"
Darren took a deep breath. "Do you have a cigarette?"
Daniel reached into his pocket and lit two cigarettes. "Is that why you dragged me out here?"
"No," Darren shook his head, but took a drag. "I'm sorry you had to find out that way."
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"Because I thought Colby and I had an understanding that she would take care of the problem. Obviously, I was wrong."
"How will this change us?"
"It won't," Darren nodded as he put the cigarette to his mouth again. "Colby has ensured me that I can continue with my way of life without any worries. I will just have a child now."
"Good," Daniel nodded.
"I don't want the baby, Danny boy. I don't know what I'm going to do."
"You'll be fine. You adore children."
"I know," Darren nodded. "I just never thought I'd end up with one. But, I'll be just fine as long as I have you. Promise me you'll never leave me, Daniel."
"I won't," Daniel nodded. "I promise."
"Good," Darren sighed. "Well, let's get back inside. And, Daniel?"
"Yes?"
"I love you."
"I love you too, Darren."
The two men went back inside, both feeling only a little better, but both of them knowing their lives were about to change forever.
TBC
Sign up to rate and review this story