Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Under City Lights

6- Unexpected Consequences

by XxPerfectTomorrowxX 10 reviews

“I don’t even know your name.”

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Published: 2012-04-21 - Updated: 2012-04-22 - 2715 words

3Exciting
(Brendon’s POV)



The directions Ryan gave me were less than perfect but I finally found the place. It was far from what I was used to and the front yard looked... tattered.

I checked the numbers, which were barely staying on the front of the house, and they were correct.

I nearly made it to the front door when it opened. “Oh... Hi.” Juliet smiled awkwardly, as if she hadn’t been expecting me.

“Ryan said you wanted me to pick you up at six.” Some well played innocence went a long way. I watched as she relaxed, assuming I was just as nervous as she was. She’d never know just how great I was at this game until it was over. “Did I get the time wrong?”

“No, six was the plan.” Juliet responded, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

I stared, openly.

“So, is this where we will be holding our date?” Juliet asked, biting her lip. “Or are we leaving at some point in the future?”

She looked stunning and the fair amount of shown cleavage was doing wonders in my mind. “What happened to this place?” The words slipped out, before I even realized she could possibly take them as an insult.

A frown crept it’s way on to her face, “I’m not sure what you’re trying to ask.” She finally replied. “If you’re wondering why it’s not perfect... My dad works a lot. He doesn’t really have the time to repair everything.”

“Why not hire someone then?”

“I think I’m having second thoughts on this whole date thing...” Juliet muttered, taking a step backwards.

“No, wait. Come on.” I gestured towards my car. “Let’s go.” Why was she so sensitive? It was a fair question.



“This is... nice.” Juliet commented, as she buckled her seat belt.

“You’ll find I don’t own many items that fall short of excellence.” I leaned over, pretending to test the buckle. With a quick wink I added, “Just want to make sure the most important thing in this car is safe and secure.”

Juliet said nothing but a pink flush crept up her face.



The silence was starting to stick as I drove past the sign notifying us that we were leaving town.

“So, where are we headed? We’ve been driving for like fifteen minutes now.” Juliet shifted, looking out the window.

“We are going to the next town over. There’s this really amazing restaurant I wanted to take you to.” I was prepared to completely blow her mind.

“Oh, cool.” Juliet’s tone hinted at things not being ‘cool’.

“What’s wrong?” I turned the music down so that I could hear whatever it was that she had to say.

“I just didn’t know we were leaving town.”

“Is that a problem?”

“No, it’s fine.”

“I made reservations but I could cancel.” I knew she wouldn’t have me cancel after going ‘through the trouble’ of making a reservation.

“No way.” Out of the corner of my eye I could see Juliet pull her shirt up a little, as she tried to conceal some of the showing cleavage. “It’s not a bad thing at all. I’m just surprised.”

“I’m full of surprises.”

It got silent as I waited for Juliet to say something. It usually wasn’t this hard to get girls to talk. Generally it was harder to get them to shut up, unless I pressed my lips against theirs... Sometimes even that wouldn’t work.





“Hey Brendon?” I wasn’t even prepared for her to speak after the long stretch of silence.

I was already pulling in to the restaurant parking lot. That’s how long she took to speak.

“Yeah?”

“Why did you decide to go out with me tonight?” She was avoiding eye contact.

“I like you.” Those three words had the ability to send any girl in to a state of uncontrollable bliss.

Apparently, Juliet was not ‘any’ girl. “No, you don’t.”

“Huh?” Hiding my confusion wasn’t even an option.

“You don’t even know me Brendon.” Juliet finally faced me. “Why’d you really go out with me tonight?”

“I like how you look. Is that such a bad thing?” That was what she was getting at, after all. I was still complimenting her. There was still hope with this girl.

“It’s not really a bad thing.” Juliet was now basically chewing on her bottom lip. I couldn’t help but wonder if it hurt to do that. “But you know that all you had to do was ask me out yourself, right?”

“Huh?” That word/grunt- like sound was becoming far too common in this conversation.

“I know you asked Ryan to set us up. He’s a little obvious.”

“I just-“ Think of something! “I thought you’d turn me down. You know, after that stupid rumor?”

“The stupid rumor in which you told the entire school something personal about me? Yeah, I know that one.”

“Do I have to apologize again?”

“Did you actually apologize?” Juliet raised her eyebrow quizzically. “I’m sorry; All I heard were excuses as to why you weren’t to blame.”

My eyes narrowed, just slightly. “I did apologize.”

“But did you mean it?” Juliet asked. “Do you even mean it right now?”

I took a moment to let her words sink in. “I do mean it.” I replied, licking my lips. “I didn’t want to hurt you but I was excited about meeting you and... in my excitement that detail slipped.”

Juliet sighed but said nothing.

“Shit.” I placed my fingers against her arm. “I don’t mean to make excuses for myself. I’ll stop. All that matters is I’m sorry and I really hope you’ll forgive me.”

“I accept your apology.” Juliet smiled at me. “Let’s just forget it, okay?”

I doubted anyone in our school would forget it but, “Okay.”





***



(Juliet’s POV)



“This place sure is fancy.” I commented as the waiter set our food in front of us. I still wasn’t quite sure as to why we had to come to a different town to eat but... Brendon seemed happy in this expensive atmosphere.

“It’s the fanciest restaurant within fifty miles.” Brendon stated.

Who knows that kind of stuff? “Is this your favorite place to eat?”

“Yes. What is yours?”

“I really like Taco Bell.” An awkward silence fell over the table as I took a bite of my pasta.

“I keep forgetting you’re poor.” Brendon blurted out.

I nearly choked on my pasta. “You’re clearly not very tactful.”

“Probably not seeing as how I don’t even know what that means.”

“Do you even want me to explain it?”

“Not really.” I didn’t think so.

“So, Ryan said you two used to hang out a lot.” It was a conversation starter. Or, it was supposed to be.

“Yeah.”

“Why did you two stop hanging out?”

“Ryan turned out gay.” Brendon was now checking his cell phone. Was there even a point to this date?

“... So his sexual orientation was grounds for friendship termination?”

“Why are we talking about Ryan?” Brendon set his phone down and plastered a charming smile on to his flawless face.

“What do you propose we talk about?” Brendon’s hand inched forward until he was holding my hand across the table. It seemed awkward, but maybe that was just me.

“How about us?” Brendon proposed.

“Well, I could talk about me and you could talk about you I guess.” That’s all I could figure he was talking about. Otherwise it just wouldn’t make sense.

“Individually we mean nothing; Together... would be much more interesting.” Brendon winked.

“Are you even trying to sound like a decent human being now?” I snapped, throwing my fork down on to the table. I was done eating. Brendon had killed my appetite.

“I’m... trying to be like what you’re used to.” Brendon said, frowning.

“What the hell does that mean?”

“I’m acting how a poor boy would with his girl.” Brendon stated, completely infuriating me.

“You don’t know anything Brendon.” I stood, regretting each second I’d spent even talking to Brendon.

“What?” Brendon stood as well. “Are we leaving now?”

“I’m leaving now.” I looked around for the waiter. “As soon as I pay.” I couldn’t see anyone and I wasn’t entirely sure when the check would come.

“I’m paying.” Brendon muttered, suddenly looking away.

“Thank you.” For just a moment I felt bad but then I thought over tonight and those feelings evaporated. “Money isn’t everything.” I informed Brendon, feeling as if I had to explain myself before leaving. “You’re trying to act like an asshole because that’s how you think poor boys act, or so I’m assuming. If I’m correct in my assumption then you’re completely wrong in yours. I’ve never been treated like this before. As for us? There is no such thing and never will be.” The last thing I said was something of a regret.

I didn’t regret it immediately however, since I completely missed the look of a sudden challenge that sprang in to Brendon’s eyes.

He didn’t say anything else; Neither did I.

Tonight had been a disaster and I wasn’t entirely sure as to why.





****



Why did I just walk away from the restaurant? I barely knew the town my family had just moved to. I definitely didn’t know this town. I didn’t even consider temperature when leaving for my supposed date so I wasn’t wearing a jacket.

All in all tonight was turning out to be a major fail attempt at being a teenager.

Now I wasn’t sure where I was headed and I had no way to get home.

I didn’t want to bother my mother and the only person I really knew near here was Ryan. The same Ryan who had set me up with Brendon.

Before I caved in and called him my cell phone began vibrating and much to my appreciation it happened to be Ryan.

“Where are you?” The words flooded my ears before I could even speak, or gather the courage to attempt to calmly say ‘hello’ or anything that qualified as a greeting.

“I’m not sure. I don’t see any signs.” I replied, feeling truly stupid.

I’d made many mistakes tonight.

But to not even know where I was?

Now that was tragic.



“Brendon said you left. He went to pay the bill and thought you were out at his car but he couldn’t find you anywhere in the parking lot.”

“I just want tonight to be over.” I admitted, looking around for a sign of some sort. “Can you pick me up?”

“Of course. Just... find a sign, or something identifying.” I heard jingling keys and felt relief wash over me. “I’m on my way.”

I let out a shaky laugh as I walked down the unfamiliar road. “My date sucked.”

“Brendon’s not an easy guy to go out on a date with. I should never have set the date up. I’m sorry.” Ryan replied.

“You know what sucked the most?”

“What?”

“The date didn’t suck because of Brendon, not entirely.” It was something I tried to deny but I just couldn’t. I was socially inept. The entire date could have gone smoother had I at least tried. Brendon seemed to be trying, even if his attempts... failed.

“Was the food terrible?”

“No.” I finally found a sign and walked closer.

“Okay, I give up. What made it suck so much?”

“This sign says I’m on Blarse-“ I paused, noticing a figure I hadn’t seen before. It was still relatively light out but that didn’t make the situation any less creepy as he approached me.

“Juliet?” Ryan waited for a response, sounding as nervous as I now felt.

I jumped as an unfamiliar voice whispered, “You look lost.”





It took me a minute to find my voice, though in my clumsy state of fear I had already disconnected my phone call to Ryan. “I actually am lost.” I informed the stranger.

“Oh.” The creepy look upon his face became a friendly smile. “Well, where do you want to be?”

“Home.” I awkwardly stated.

The man laughed, “Yeah well, I don’t really know where that is... So you’re going to have to be a little more specific.”

“Oh, of course!” I responded, blushing. As the man got closer I realized he was my age and didn’t really look creepy at all. He actually looked quite harmless, not that... that meant anything. Even serial killers looked like normal people. They usually didn’t wear tags on their head, informing the world of their extra-circular highly illegal activities. “I live in the town over. Um, Newport.”

“I live there too!” The boy’s smile got bigger. “What are you doing here?”

“Date gone bad.” I admitted, feeling no need to lie about the nights events.

“Damn.” He stuffed his hands in to his jean pockets. “Well, need a ride home? I was going home tonight anyway. I just got back from a family vacation and came to a party but... it didn’t go so well.”

“What happened?”

“Turns out my girlfriend was cheating. I found out the fun way.” His smile slipped away.

“Wow.” I didn’t really know what to say. “She wasn’t worth your time then.” The words weren’t really planned. I was never this forward but this boy... He made me feel confident. I’d never felt so comfortable around a boy my age before. It made it even more surprising since he was a stranger to me.

“What makes you say that?”

“You’re obviously a nice guy. I mean, we don’t even know each other and yet you’re willing to help me find my way back home.” He smiled, the action causing me to melt inside a little. He had a beautiful smile. “So, you deserve someone who won’t treat you like shit.”

“Thank you.” His eyes burned in to mine, making me a little uneasy. “That’s the nicest thing I’ve heard all night. Also, just for the record... I’m sorry that your date didn’t go so well. Maybe I could make it up to you?”

“How?”

“Are you interested in re-crashing a party with me?” He had a twinkle in his eyes now.

“Um...” I’d never partied before. “I don’t even know your name.”

He laughed. “Oh, forgive my lack of manners. I’m Jon Walker.” He did a small bow. “May I ask your name?”

“I’m Juliet.”

“Well, fuck.” Jon grinned. “My middle name just happens to be Romeo.”

I laughed at the lame joke and felt myself giving in to the party suggestion. “I’d love to go to the party with you, if seeing your girlfriend won’t make tonight suck some more.”

“With you by my side? It’ll make tonight worth the pain.”

At least someone would have a good night then.





**



“Are you sure you heard someone in the background?” Brendon nervously checked each street for Juliet. His car was parked on the corner, since he figured on foot he might have a better chance of finding her.

“I swear!” Ryan responded. “The street she’s on starts with ‘Blars’ but I didn’t catch the full name.”

“Why didn’t you tell me that before?” Brendon snapped, heading back to his car. “She’s on Blarsel street.”

“I was panicking!” Ryan was nearly in a full out panic. “I’m almost there though. Tell me if you find her and I swear if someone hurts her I’ll-“ Brendon hung up on Ryan before he could continue.

He was already worried enough. He didn’t need Ryan’s concern to get to him. He just needed to find Juliet and more than anything he needed her to be alright.
Sign up to rate and review this story