Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > Strangeland

Chapter Two

by ArielMaria 0 reviews

Shannon's birthday is coming along with the memories of a wrong Jared did and a disturbing discovery.

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2012-04-28 - Updated: 2012-04-29 - 839 words - Complete

1Original
Chapter Two

"So what exactly are we doing for your birthday?" Jared asked Shannon from across the room getting their moms attention away from the TV screen.

Shannon looked up at him, a hint of a smile on his lips. "I don't want anything."

Jared laughed, his eyes brightening with it. "You always say that and you know I never listen...I guess I'll just have to make it a surprise."

"Come on Shannon, let your brother do this for you. You never want to do anything." Their mom looked at Shannon with persistence in her eyes.

Shannon looked at her unimpressed and unmoved. He held her gaze until she looked away and then he looked back to Jared. "Fine, do what you want. You always do anyways." He stood up off the couch and heavily walked away.

"Shannon, wait come on." Jared called out, following after him. "We don't have to anything, I'm sorry." He gripped his shoulder softly with an apologetic smile.

"it isn't you...you know it isn't..."

"She's not picking favorites Shannon, we all just want you to be happy. You know?"

"Who's you all?"

Jared laughed and nodded as if he had been caught. "Emma, she wants to set you up with her friend."

"Hell no. I don't date other girls like her. Not my type."

"Then who is your type?" Jared's smile faded then when he said it and he looked away. Silence hung between them and guilt pulled inside of Jared. "Sorry..." He muttered, gathering enough courage to look Shannon in the eyes.

"Don't be. You can't help it, you're you." Shannon slapped Jared on the back, allowing a smile back onto his lips. "Tell Emma no and do something small okay?"

Jared nodded, his smile returning Shannon's as he disappeared into his room. He let out a sigh and gathered his composure before he went to say goodnight to his mom. He went on into his room and dropped down on the bed.

The nights light danced across the ceiling in a silver streak and when he lifted his hand it caressed his skin as well. He tried not to think of that night nearly two years ago, his throat still felt constricted and he often still felt breathless. He could still remember her but every time he did it wasn't her beauty that stayed there permanently in his memory. It was his brothers anger, and the guilt he knew he would die with.

He closed his eyes and let the memory slip away with the wind that poured in through the window. It had been a long time but how does one make up for something so horrible as that? How much does one pay until a hurt is finally soothed? Until a relationship gets back to how it should have always been? But why was it him thinking of all this? He had caused the hurt, he had ruined the bond that had always been there with his brother. Every time he tried to apologize, tried to see where he stood with Shannon it was always the same answer. Shannon would always tell him he he was him and he just couldn't help it. As if that were some kind of an excuse.

The doorbell rang causing Jared to sit up in bed. He heard his mom call out for him to get it and so he left his room. He looked out the peephole but saw nothing and so he twisted the lock and opened the door, the chain preventing it from opening wider.

He looked out and saw nothing. Only the night. As he shut the door though he saw a yellow envelope laying on the doormat. He undid the chain and pulled open the door. The envelope was heavy and he opened it, letting the items inside slip out.

It was pictures. Candid shots of him walking the streets, eating at restaurants, running errands, even him in hid bedroom window. A mixture of worry and fear flooded through him and he tried to tell himself to calm down. They were just some stupid pictures. That was until he came to the last one. It was one of him and Emma. He had his arms around her waist and she was smiling up at him. He remembered that day, could smell that floral perfume she always wore. He swallowed harshly at the dark markings covering her face and body. On the bottom was scrawled "I'm going to kill the whore, you bastard!". The pictures fell from his hands and he looked out the door frantically. Nothing was out there but the quiet hum of the night. He slammed the door shut and picked up the pictures.

Fear presented itself in the form of sweat on his forehead as his eyes lingered on the picture of him and Emma. He wanted to disregard it but it was the obviously angry way the words had been written, the markings had been made that scared the hell out of him.
Sign up to rate and review this story