Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Give 'Em Hell Kid

Chapter 10

by TheatreGeek 4 reviews

Hayley and Mr Way continue their friendship, but she's having a really tough time on holding back her feelings.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2012-05-13 - Updated: 2012-05-13 - 1686 words

2Exciting
I kept re-running the image of Gerard’s apartment in my head. I ran over every tiny little detail, from the coffee stains on the tables to the cracks in the sofa. Even the air there smelt amazing. I could still sense it up my nose, the scents of instant-coffee, aftershave, paint and just him in general made my skin prickle and my chest tighten. I sat on my bedroom floor flicking through magazines. I was quite fashion conscious, though I hated the trends that were popular among the girls at school. Unfortunately, all the things that I thought were unique and what people like me wore, all the girls at school were wearing. I ached for a pair of Doc Martens, they suited my style so well, yet I’d seen pretty, generic girl after pretty, generic girl wearing them when I’d been shopping in town at weekends. There was no such thing as individuality these days. I looked at one of the models on the glossy page, her short and perfectly messy hair looking amazing. I looked at my own hair in the mirror and tugged on the ends. My hair was really long, but it was quite thin. I wished I had gorgeous, thick hair like most of the girls at school had. I wished I looked like the girls at school, then maybe Mr Way….Gerard….would notice me. I shook the stupid thought from my mind. I was a student to him. Nothing more. But I hated feeling so confused and was fed up of the tugging of my heart whenever I was around him. I squeezed my eyes shut and took a deep breath. I had art tomorrow, last lesson. Then he’d be driving me home again. I couldn’t stop myself from smiling and my whole body flooded with warmth. I yawned and decided bed was a good idea. As I lay there in the dark, my heart beat faster and faster until I eventually drifted into sleep.
The next morning, Ally bounded up to me, her ponytail bouncing around with her energy. “Heeeeeyyy! How’s it gooiinnn’?” She purred in my face. I pushed her away, sighing. I had no patience for her anymore. I didn’t know what was happening to me, but I suddenly felt so much older, more superior than any of my classmates. I no longer pondered over the trivial things that flitted around in their heads. I had far more interesting things to think about. Ally sat down opposite me, her bottom lip protruding in an expression of faux hurt. “What’s the matter? You’re so boring now man. Always moping around and stuff. Smile or something bro!” She reached out and squeezed my shoulder, and I couldn’t help but smile at her. She was my best friend, she was only looking out for me. “I’m sorry Al, just that time of the month…y’know.” Even so, I was lying to her.
“Oh, I see. God, I feel sorry for you.” Ally slapped me on the back as Mr Bryars came in to take register. Ah, the perks of being a girl and being able to whip out the period excuse every single time.
English, and I was actually somewhat enthusiastic today. I was sat on my own today, the girl I normally had to sit with, Kelly, had a dentist appointment. We didn’t have assigned seats, and I’d so much rather have sad alone, but Kelly was slightly special needs, so I felt obligated to sit with her. She got teased enough as it was. I settled into my seat and waited for sir to arrive. David came into the room on his own, as usual. I never understood why a guy like him liked solitude so much. “Uh…hi…can I sit with you Hayley?” I saw his fingers anxiously grip at the file he was carrying. I stared at him, his face was going red. I felt mean to turn him away. “Sure…” I mumbled, moving my crap to my side of the table (I’d been hoping to be able to spread out today and take advantage of Kelly not being here.)
“Thanks.” Dave said, smiling at me and sitting down. He bent over to get out his stuff out of his bag and Sir appeared in the doorway. “ Hello, mein leiblings!” He cried, swooping into the room in his usual fashion. I grinned, I always had a thing for slightly eccentric teachers, I always felt that I learned the best with them. Maybe that meant I was a little bit eccentric too. Surprisingly, I enjoyed sitting next to David. He was clever, quiet and quite funny, in his own way. I guess I considered him as a friend now.
“You seem happy.” Mr Way said as he started the car engine. I looked at him, “Do I? Maybe it’s because I can feel summer coming. I don’t know. I just love the fresh air and…and…”
“The whole scent and taste of the air changes in the summer. I know what you mean.” He took in a deep breath through his nose, as if trying to get as much of the air around him into his lungs as possible, not that there was any fresh air in the car as it always held the scent of cigarette smoke. This normally would have bothered me, but I must have been getting used to it. “What would you say to going to my flat again? Would your dad mind, you think?”
I hesitated, but only for a tiny fraction of a second. “Naaah, dad’s not home for ages yet. I’ll be fine. I wanted to look at your drawings again actually.” Anything to get back in his flat and smell that beautiful coffee-cigarette-Mr Way scent all over again. “Great! That’s what I was thinking, you seemed pretty interested last time. What do you think?”
“I think they’re beautiful! I wish I could draw like that!”
“But Hayley,” Mr Way said, taking his eyes off the road for a second to look me straight in the eye, “You can”
I resisted the temptation to squeal with delight as we rounded the corner into the parking space outside the block of flats. He’d said I could draw. He thought I had talent. This meant more to me than I could even explain. “Up we go then.” I heard the jangle of keys as Mr Way pulled them from the ignition and got out of the car. I followed him up the dank staircase again, our footsteps echoing in time with one another’s . It was like some odd yet perfectly put together piece of music. Once inside his flat again I felt more at home than I ever did in my own house. “My drawings are by the couch, I got the box out for you. I’m gonna make a coffee, you want one?”
“Yes, please.” I replied, slowly walking over to the box he had mentioned and slipped my hand inside. There was so much paper inside, loose sheets, big and small. I pulled out sketch after sketch, each one perfect in his own way. Each line joined on to the next and the next, all eventually morphing and forming an art piece in itself. Mr Way joined me on the saggy couch, a mug of coffee in each hand. “Black, two sugars alright?”
“Perfect.” I answered, taking the mug from him and taking a sip of the brown liquid. It was amazing.
We sifted through each drawing, Gerard telling me what each one meant, how he’d felt when drawing it and how long each one had taken. I was so drawn in, I hung on his every word. I looked at his face, his dark hazel eyes and saw everything there. I saw so much about this man in his eyes, yet I still knew so little about my new, black haired art teacher. After about an hour, the sun began to sink, casting a gorgeous pinkish-yellow light over the floor. “Wow, summer really must be on its way. Look at that sky.” I said, wistfully. I got up from the sofa and went to the window. I rested my hot forehead against the cool glass and looked out at the loveliness outside. “You want to go for a walk before you go home?” Gerard was carefully packing the drawings back into their box, smoothing them out and then carefully closing the lid. “Sure, I’d love to.” I said, the stupid smile coming back again. Stop it. He’ll think you’re weird. Mr Way drained his coffee mug and picked up his keys from the table by the door. I followed him and we made our way back down the stairs to the outside world.
The fresh air in my lungs felt great as I strode alongside my art teacher. His long legs cast even longer shadows in the setting sun, his messy hair looking like a weird sun around his head. He looked beautiful in this light, my heart began beating faster than it had before. “Stop a minute.” I said suddenly as we reached a corner. “Is something wrong? What is it?” he asked, looking worried. “Nothing…I just wanted to take this in. Can’t you feel it? I just feel so….alive….and happy.” I closed my eyes, breathing in deeply. I prayed he wouldn’t find this weird, realise what a nutjob I actually was. “Me too. It’s beautiful.” He came and stood beside me, then suddenly nudged me “Hayley, look! The sun’s setting.” I opened my eyes again to see the orange-pink sky change to a bright red and purple burst of colour. “Wow…..I mean…wow.” Was all I could say, and suddenly, a huge rush of energy rose up inside me, and I reached up and placed my lips on Gerard’s. I kissed him. I kissed him. I kissed him.
Sign up to rate and review this story