Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > Heavy In Your Arms by Nemo, Morrigan Campbell and Elin Roberts

You Know What They Say About Guys With Bad Handwriting

by Nemo_xo 0 reviews

Elin's POV. Written by my good friend Elin Roberts.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2012-05-16 - Updated: 2012-05-16 - 580 words

0Unrated
ELIN – Science was utterly boring. And yes, I know I’m a scientist for SHIELD, America’s top secret organization working to save the world, but that doesn’t mean I enjoy it. I was just good at it. I don’t even believe I’m that good either. Ok yeah, I might be able to remember equations and I might have gotten A’s and A*’s in my GCSE’s and A levels at school for biology, physics and chemistry but I wasn’t half as good as some people I know. For example, Tony Stark, the guy who invented and built the first ever suit made of Iron in a cave in 3 months. Iron Man. I wasn’t even close to being half as good as him. “You are nearly 10 years younger than me” He had told me when I explained my issue. “You learn a lot in ten years.” He winked at me. This was a sexual innuendo, of course, coming from Tony, but I chose to ignore it. “You also learn a lot being held captive by some Arabs that insist you build them a bomb.” I told him back, adding some concentrated nitric acid to a small vase of Mercury. “Yep, you do. We could test that theory on you, actually. You get the Arabs; I get the rope.” Tony peered into the solution and wrote something on a piece of piece of paper. “So, if you mix –“He pointed to a scrawled 2Hg on the paper “and –“He again pointed to an almost illegible 2HNO2 “you get…?” The door to our shared lab walked in, and in came Nick Fury, the head of all of this. He stared at us in our lab coats and safety goggles, and then strolled over. He looked over the paper, and then looked up at Tony.“Not even Albert Einstein could read this.” He picked up my notes, neatly dated and titled, with bullet points written in a fine pencil. “You’re a scientist, Stark. You neat to be neater.” Picking up my HB orange pencil, I wrote next to Tony’s equation Hg2 (NO2)2 + H2. “You’re right, Verney, that’s exactly what you get.” Tony tapped the page with his two index fingers, and then strolled across the room to type it up on a computer. As Nick turned, Tony pulled a face at his back, and then stuck his middle finger up at him. Tony winked again at me, smiling. Nick turned around, not looking amused, and was about to start telling him off for that too, when the door opened again. It was Rain Haile, the young girl who worked in combat with Steve Rogers, that is, ‘Captain America’. I have to say, I’m extremely jealous of what she gets to do. Training how to kill and fight people sounds a hell more interesting than adding two elements together and recording what happens. Her and Nick had a discussion about the fact she was over tired and needed to go do more training, and she left a little later, mumbling about the fact it was almost ‘child abuse’ and she should ‘be able to get enough sleep at night.’ Nick left shortly after, realizing it was going to be another boring day in the lab for us, and me and Tony worked in silence, occasionally hearing a bang or crash from the floor below, or Tony nearly dropping a couple of beakers.
Sign up to rate and review this story