Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Just an offer?

Idea 3

by AstroZombies7 0 reviews

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2012-05-26 - Updated: 2012-05-26 - 2934 words

0Unrated
6
I saw him in the park first. He was sitting on the swings, not swinging, just sitting there with a huge sketchbook balanced on his knees. I remember his black hair was hiding his face from view, and I wanted to see it. With the unshakeable confidence only an six-year old kid dressed as Spiderman can have, I walked over. “Hey! What are you drawing?” I asked curiously. He looked up. His face was pale, and he was wearing eyeliner. I privately thought that makeup was for girls, but he was about sixteen, and he didn’t tell me to go and play with my friends, so I kept my mouth shut. Lucky, really, as I hadn‘t got any friends anyway. He turned his sketchbook around so I could see.

“Wow!” I gasped as I saw his creation- a comic book, involving brightly coloured superheroes fighting black and red villains. I reached out with small hands, looking at this older boy with the question written across my face. He gently placed the large pad into my hands. I sat on the grass, intently studying each panel. “It’s just like a real comic book!” I whispered in awe. The older boy laughed. “That’s the highest praise possible coming from Spiderman.” I handed the big book back to him, with new respect for this eyeliner-wearing boy.

“Do you want to know a secret?” I whispered, leaning my head towards him conspiratorially. He leaned closer too. “I’m not really Spiderman, I’m Frankie.” I looked up at him in sudden panic. “But don’t tell!” I quickly shushed him. “I wont tell.” He smiled back. “Do you want to play on the swings?” I yelled excitedly, hopping up from the grass. The big boy grinned, and said “Race ya!” I immediately began running, my gaze fixed on the swing set. I didn’t notice the large stone in front of me, and promptly fell over it.

I pulled up the leg of my Spiderman costume to reveal an impressive scrape, bleeding and red. I sniffed back tears. It hurt, but I wanted to be one of the big boys, and boys don’t cry.

He came running over. “Frankie! Are you okay?” He knelt down beside me to inspect the damage. “I’m okay.” I told him, my voice wobbling slightly. He looked at me, concerned. “Really.” I assured him. He started fumbling in his jacket pocket, and pulled out a little box of Spiderman plasters. I looked at him in wonder. He had to be god. “Not quite god.” He smiled, deftly sticking the plaster over my terrible wound. “But you can make comic books, and you like Spiderman!” I said, confused. He smiled.

“FRANKIE!” Came the yell from my mother. “I gotta go!” I said, turning to the boy. He was gone. I looked around in confusion. “Where’d you go?” I asked thin air. “There you are!” My mom smiled in relief. “You know you shouldn’t run off like that!” she scolded. “What were you doing?”

“I was talking to a big boy!” I smiled, my little chest puffing out with pride. “He’s my friend.” She looked down and smiled indulgently. “Come on, it’s time for your bath.” I began to whine. “Aww, mom, do I have to?” As she steered me towards the house, I couldn’t help but look back over my shoulder.

He was there! Sitting on the swing again. I raised my hand in a tiny wave, and so did he. I smiled. He was my friend.






11
It was the last day of the summer holidays. I was due to start secondary school the next day, and I really didn’t want to go. I couldn’t eat any dinner that night, but mom put it down to being excited. “Do try and get some sleep tonight, won’t you?” She joked. I just nodded. I went up to my bedroom, and got a fresh wave of anxiety as I saw my new school uniform hanging on the back of my chair. I sat cross legged on the bed, and began to chew at my nail.

“Don’t.” A voice said, a cool hand gently pulling mine away from my mouth. “Hey Mattie.“ He hadn’t changed a bit since our first meeting, and he’d looked to be about sixteen or seventeen then. “Frankie, I know you’re worried about starting at a new school.” I shook my head. “I’m not scared!” I said fiercely.

Mattie reached out to touch my shoulder or something, and I cuffed his hand away, with the growling sound of a small, unhappy tiger. “Everybody gets scared, .” He said softly. I looked up and met his sympathetic hazel gaze. “What if they don’t like me?” I blurted out. “What if they tease me because I’m small? Or flush my head down the toilet!”

“Frank, some people will tease you for being small. But it’s a good thing, right? You’ll be better at rugby, because you won’t get squished by all the tall people, and you can get through smaller gaps, and hide in places where other people can’t.” I thought about it for a minute. It was true I liked to hide in small spaces, and it was also true that I was really excited about starting rugby…. And people had teased me in primary school, and I guess I’d lived….

“You’ll make loads of friends really quickly, and after the first few days, you’ll wonder what you were ever worried about.” He assured me. “And the head down the toilet thing is just a myth. It’s never happened to anyone.” I looked up with big eyes. “Promise?” His hazel eyes looked sincere. “I promise.” I flung my arms around his waist. “Thanks Mattie.” I mumbled into his soft black hoodie. He nodded, his long black hair tickling my cheek. “You’re welcome.” I pulled away. “You should get some sleep. Big day tomorrow.” Mattie said with a smile as he moved towards the window. I assumed that was how he came to be in my bedroom, anyway. “Don’t go!” I said, out of bed in a flash.

He hesitated, then agreed to stay for a little while. He sat on the edge of the bed, and stroked my hair just like mom used to. I felt my eyelids drooping, but tried to stay awake. My eyelids won, and I fell asleep.

The next day, when I woke up he was gone. I felt the usual sense of loss. I felt better when he was around. I put on my new uniform, grimaced at myself in the mirror, and went downstairs. 15 minutes later, I was hurrying out of the door, still munching on a pop-tart. Mattie fell into step beside me. “Morning, Frank.” I could manage only a “Mumph…” in reply. “Frankie, listen- try not to talk to me too much in school, okay? I’ll be able to sit in the classroom with you, but I have to stay quiet.” I nodded, and swallowed the pop-tart. “Why? ‘cause we’ll get in trouble for talking?” I asked. He hesitated, and then said “Something like that.”

I sat next to some kid with a really big, fuzzy afro on the bus. Mattie was in the seat behind. I went to say something to him, but he shook his head, and raised a finger to his lips. I was confused, but I complied. We got off the bus and walked to registration. There seemed to be people everywhere, shouting and yelling, and I was glad when we got to the sanctuary of our form room. Our form tutor, Miss Roberta Smith, was already in there. I was even more confused when she seemed to totally ignore Mattie, and started to wonder what was going on when none of my teachers, or, for that matter, classmates, seemed to notice him. At break time, I dragged him into the deserted library for an explanation.

“Mattie! Why can’t anyone else see you? What’s up with that?” I asked in a panicky whisper. The answer he gave me knocked the breath out of me. “I’m not real.” My jaw dropped. “Don’t be stupid! Of course you’re real!” I shook my head. Although it would explain a lot, it just wasn’t true. Stuff like this just didn’t happen in real life. “Frankie.” “No!” I said fiercely, putting my hands over my ears. I was not going to let my best friend make me look stupid, by believing his joke. I would know if he wasn’t real, someone would have told me by now, it wasn’t true…. It couldn’t be true. My imagination wasn’t that good. “Frank.” I ran a shaky hand through my already messy hair. This was just crazy, but I was reluctantly starting to believe it. It would explain so much, like why he didn’t seem to age, why he never changed his clothes, never ate, never slept…. Well dammit, now it was obvious he couldn’t be real.

I tried it out for size. “My only friend for the past 11 years is a figment of my imagination.” I said slowly. I turned to Mattie. He nodded. “So why did you not tell me before now!?” I asked, dangerously close to tears. He shrugged. “You needed me. But Frank, you have to grow up. You have to make friends, real ones, and make your own way in the world.” I shook my head. “But I don’t want to grow up! And I’m fine on my own, thanks!” Mattie regarded me with sympathetic disbelief. I scowled, because of course he was right. I went to pieces if I stayed so much as one night on my own. My parents were nice enough, but they weren’t really that big on family time. My dad was never home from the office, and my mother had various clubs and meetings. I had had to be pretty much self-sufficient from when I was about eight.

I thought about it for a while longer. “So, what happens now? Do you go poof and vanish? Or do you stick around for a bit?” Mattie gave me that crooked smile I had grown to love, and said “Stick around. But, I‘ll start to sort of fade away as you forget about me.” I nodded. That I guess I could live with. I reasoned that the only way I would forget was if I had other friends to distract me, and more friends could only be a good thing. I hesitated, and said, “So, I’ll make other friends?” Mattie nodded emphatically. “The kid on the bus, with the afro? His name is Ray, and he likes Iron Maiden.” I looked up, suddenly more interested. I was a big fan, having been stuck on my own with only music channels for company for a lot of the time. I had discovered an intense hatred of bubblegum pop, and realised that I loved punk music with every cell of my admittedly small body. So that was a conversation, right there. “Thanks Mattie.” I said sincerely, thinking that even if he wasn’t real, he really seemed to care about my happiness, way more than my parents ever had.



16
“Morning baby.” Said an oh-so familiar voice in my ear. The best I could do was “Mrlf.” I rolled over to look at my imaginary friend as he smiled, then pouted as he asked “Don‘t I get a good-morning kiss?” I let out a laugh that was half-groan. “C’mon Mattie, we’ve been through this…. I’m not going to make out with a figment of my imagination.” Again. His laughter followed me into the bathroom. I was in the shower, standing under a jet of steaming hot water when I felt him press up against me, naked and cool. “Or fuck you.” I added. Again. My resolve weakened as fast as my knees when he began to suck on my earlobe. “Funny. You didn’t seem so sure last night.” I fumbled for the words, gave up, and closed my eyes. I made my way out of the bathroom half an hour later, feeling simultaneously clean and dirty. Imaginary or not, Mattie was the perfect boyfriend. It was like a twisted friends with benefits deal, although I preferred to think of him as an elaborate fantasy, and the best part? Technically I wasn’t even cheating on my obligatory girlfriend. Said obligatory girlfriend, Jessica, was waiting for me outside the school gates, highly polished fingernails tapping the wall impatiently. “Frankie, baby, what took you so long?” She almost yelled, striding over, attracting the attention of our fellow students. Jess was basically the queen bee, and attractive if you go for that sort of thing- shiny brown hair, brown eyes, the curvy figure girls envy and guys drool over.
If I was totally honest with myself, I didn’t even like her all that much, let alone love her like I was supposed to. She took way too much pleasure in ostracizing people, singling them out and making them feel bad. God only knows what she’d do if she knew I wasn’t really into girls at all, let alone her.

As I shuffled over, head hanging and hands thrust into my pockets, I noticed Ray, looking at me over her shoulder, and for the third time that week carried on walking, right past Jess. “Frank!” She cried, spinning around and giving me daggers. “Sorry, I told Ray we’d study together.” I shrugged, giving her my best ‘I was forced into it’ expression. She let out an angry sigh, and said “I swear you spend more time with your geeky friend than you do me. I’ll meet you at lunch.” I motioned Ray to walk with me, saying “Sure, sure.” Over my shoulder as I left.

I could feel her eyes boring into my back, but I said nothing until I was sure she was out of earshot. “God, what a bitch. I don‘t even know why I got with her in the first place, let alone why I‘m still with her.” I exhaled, shaking my head. Ray kept silent. He’d heard my little rant all too many times. “I mean, honestly, I can’t even get a new hairstyle without consulting her first.” It was true. I’d recently gotten my hair trimmed, nothing drastic, just a little shorter, and she’d flipped out, right in the middle of the canteen I might add. I sort of hoped she’d dump me, but no such luck.

I continued to complain until Ray finally said “Why don’t you just date someone else?” I sighed, and said “She’d rip my heart out and eat it.” Ray snorted. “That I can believe.” I let out a reluctant smile. I wanted with all my heart just to dump her and be done with it. I didn’t like her, she didn’t like me. We weren’t happy together by any stretch of the imagination, yet part of me just kept screaming that I couldn’t be alone. Besides which, Jess was the one thing between me and Jack. Jack, the resident gay-basher, hated me with a passion. I was camp, short, and hated football- all punishable by death in his mind, and yet I was dating the most popular girl in the year, which gave me automatic ‘cool’ status. The minute I stopped dating Jess, I was dead meat according to the rules of high school.

Ray shook me out of my thoughts, literally, yelling “Hey! We’re late for chemistry!” I sighed, and swung my battered backpack over my shoulder. I truly don’t know how I managed to get into the same, higher, class as Mikey and Ray, but somehow I did. Needless to say it was not my best subject. I walked into the lab, followed by a sense of impending doom. I slouched over to my seat at the back, mentally preparing myself for an onslaught of unnecessary knowledge. I closed my eyes as the teacher walked in, trailed by a new kid. There seemed to be a new kid every class, so I didn’t pay attention as he was introduced. I did however glance up, just an automatic thing to check if he was hot.

“Holy shit!”


I walked to 2nd period, jumpy, and immensely rattled. New kid was hot. In fact, he was as hot as my imaginary boyfriend, because guess who he was the mirror image of? You guessed it. If it wasn’t for the fact I knew full well he was a real guy, I would have believed they were one and the same. The resemblance was unnerving, and on more than one occasion I nearly addressed my question to Mattie rather than Gerard. I just got a sweet smile and a metaphorical kick to the chest. I don’t know what was going on there, but it didn’t feel bad- it was like my heart skipped in my chest, like I was excited, or- or something. I couldn’t quite figure out the something. It was like nothing else I’ve ever felt but I wanted to keep feeling it.



The numbers at the top of each section are Frank's age at the time :) xx
Sign up to rate and review this story