Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > Strangeland

Chapter Nine

by ArielMaria 0 reviews

Something about Shannon begins to unnerve Jared

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2012-05-29 - Updated: 2012-05-30 - 771 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter Nine

He wasn't sure why the thought seemed absolutely ridiculous but it did and it drove him crazy standing there letting it fill his mind. He had begun to try to make sense of everything, trying to piece together each piece that was beginning to appear. But a man? It made no sense. Why would a man do something like that? Why would a man write something like that above her body?

H e watched the detective walk away and began to leave himself. Stuffing his hands into his coat he lowered his head. A fear coursed through him, the thought that something like this could happen to Emma scared him. How would he be able to protect her against that if he wasn't even sure what was going on?

His phone rang, taking it out he saw it was Shannon. "Yeah?" He answered trying to keep the rasp of emotions from his voice.

"Jared, where are you?"

Jared stopped walking, remembering he hadn't gone back to work. "Something's happened." He pushed out, undecided if he was going to tell anyone of what had happened exactly. He knew everyone would know sooner or later.

"You alright?" Shannon asked, a little worry filling his voice.

He let out a sigh and pushed his hand back through his hair. "I'm fine. Are you at home?"

"Yeah..."

"I'll be there in a while, alright?" And then he hung up. He dropped his phone into his pocket and ignored it when it rang again.

He drove for a while, not knowing where he was going but just wanting all the thoughts in his head to go away. He kept seeing Alessandra, the way she was sprawled so brutally on the bed. He read those words again, felt the guilt rise up like some kind of pain inside. He parked outside of the local bar and sat back in his seat. H e hadn't drank in quite a long time but the need to just forget overwhelmed him

------------------------

"He said he'll be back in a while...he sounded alright." Shannon put the phone onto the counter and shrugged his shoulders.

Emma sighed and raised her mug to her lips. Worry was written in her eyes as they watched the phone almost willing it to ring.

"He'll be alright." Shannon r reassured, going to stand beside her. "He can take care of himself."

She looked up at him and smiled a little, thankful for how nice he was being. "You've been different." She said softly.

"Have I?"

She nodded and took another drink of her tea. "Very talkative. I think even your mom is surprised."

Shannon laughed a little. "You're right. Not too sure what's come over me. Need a little change, I guess."

"Change is always wonderful."

Shannon nodded, smiled and then looked down. "Are you in love with him?"

Emma was quiet for a moment before she sighed softly. "Haven't gotten that far yet I think."

"I bet he never will..."

She looked away, visibly affected by his words but not responding.

"I'm sorry." He said, facing her then. "We can change subjects..."

"I'd like that." She replied, smiling a little.

A couple of hours passed with them talking, falling into a comfort with one another that hadn't been formed before. Jared pulled up into the driveway of the house, not entirely drunk but feeling the weight of it painfully. It hadn't been enough to numb what had happened or to help him forget all it had done was make his thoughts more vivid than before.

He pushed open the door and was met immediately with the sound of Emma's laugh and Shannon's low voice coming from the kitchen. His brows furrowed very lightly as he continued into the kitchen. Emma was sitting at the table and Shannon was standing in front of the table, talking with more animation than he had shown in a long while.

"Hey..." He threw it out, unsure why the scene before him nearly angered him.

"Jared, where have you been?!" Emma called out, getting up from her chair and going to him.

Shannon looked away, turned his back on them and retreated from the moment.

"Nowhere." He replied and took her in his arms. He looked across at his brother who seemed to sense somehow that his gaze was on him. They met each others eyes and Jared was startled by the look he was met with. All he could be reminded of was that moment two years ago when everything had changed between them and that in itself was enough to make him fear even more...
Sign up to rate and review this story