Categories > Anime/Manga > Full Metal Alchemist > Separation and Reunion

To Have and To Hold

by brynn_parker 1 review

IT'S THE WEDDING!!!

Category: Full Metal Alchemist - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Alphonse Elric, Edward Elric, Elysia Hughes, Envy, Gracia Hughes, Izumi Curtis, Pinako Rockbell, Riza Hawkeye, Rose Tomas, Roy Mustang, Winry Rockbell - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2006-07-06 - Updated: 2006-07-06 - 2741 words

2Moving
Separation and Reunion

Chapter 12: To Have and To Hold

----

Listening to: "After an Afternoon" - Jason Mraz

----

Annaliese and her father respectfully attended Hohenheim Elric's funeral. Mostly everyone in the Thule Society was there, but few tears were shed. He hadn't exactly been well-known or well-liked by other, more competitive magicians.

His remains were buried in the snowy graveyard inside of Munich, a gray, dismal place that smelled like the city and collected dust like an old book. Edward's name was inscribed on the tombstone as well, as the boy had disappeared shortly before his father's death. Annaliese cried for him.

The men of the Society left quickly, dispersing to go to a warm pub or to their own homes. They were obviously disconcerted by Elric's death...and they had good reason. The mysterious man had been murdered in his own home, his body mutilated almost past recognition. The authorities couldn't determine who had done the deed, and no one in the Society cared to help; he had enough enemies, and they didn't want themselves to fall under suspicion.

"He was a good man," a voice said from beside Annaliese. She jumped, turning towards the source to see a young man with yellow hair.

"Who are you?" she asked, not as politely as most young women her age should.

He smiled at her, and it sent a cold shiver down her spine - although she couldn't tell if it was from the cold or the man. "You know me, Annaliese."

The way he said her name...she recognized it from somewhere...

"I'm Hohenheim's other son." He stuck out a hand. "Emmat Elric."

----

Winry looked out of the window at the sunny weather, smiling and playing with the satiny material of her dress. She felt a hand on her shoulder and she looked back to see Pinako's smiling face. "Beautiful day for a wedding, isn't it?"

The younger woman's smile widened as she looked out again. "Yeah, it is." The yard had been decorated with red and white flowers, and chairs had been put out to make an aisle. Winry's idea of a simple wedding had won in the end, overriding all of the other women's plans on rushing an order from bridal magazines.

Riza and Roy had bowed out for the prospect of a double wedding, insisting that they go back to Central for the ceremony. "We couldn't have our own wedding without our friends," Riza had explained, "We'll stay for you and Ed's wedding and then go prepare for our own."

"Winry Rockbell," Pinako said, flipping the name a little, "Last time I'll ever get to say that."

Winry laughed. "Don't worry, Aunty! Everything's fine!"

"Then why are you trembling?"

Winry blushed. "Guess I'm excited..."

Pinako gave the girl a wry smile. "Well, I guess I don't know what it's like to get married." She sat down next to her, looking out the window as well. "Your old spinster grandmother...I was too wild in my youth." She laid a comforting hand on Winry's shoulder. "I guess I did a good job raising you."

Winry glanced at her grandmother. "I guess you did."

Abruptly she threw her arms around the small old woman. "Thank you Aunty..."

"Now, Winry, don't cry or you're going to ruin your makeup!"

"Aunty, I'm going to miss you!"

"It's not like I'll never see you again! Now stop crying or I will too!"

Winry drew back, looking at the bespectacled old woman and wiping her nose carefully. "Alright...I guess that's true..."

Pinako brought a hand up to stroke it through her granddaughter's hair. "You won't regret this?"

"Never...I mean, I'm marrying Ed!"

----

"Mustang," Ed said quietly as he messed with his tie a little more. He'd never done this without help, and his nerves weren't helping either. "I...I can't get my damn tie..."

Mustang walked around to the young man, raising an eyebrow and taking the tie. "Look, Ed," he said calmly, "It's a clip-on. Even I can see that, and I only have one eye."

Ed glared after the dark-haired man, unable to think of a comeback with all the stress he was already under. He should have known that growing taller wouldn't help his situation with Mustang at all...

He swung around to see Al laughing along with Mustang. "Some brother..." Ed muttered, looking back into the mirror. He'd pulled his hair up into a thin ponytail, because he didn't have the ability to braid it himself and he thought it looked neater. A non-descript black suit that was a little too big for him completed the outfit, along with the blue tie and old boots.

"To tell the truth, kid, you don't really look like you're going to a wedding," Roy said, smirking. Ed turned on his heel, his signature glare painted on his face.

"Look, Winry said it was just supposed to be simple..."

"I think you look fine."

All three of the males turned to see Izumi standing in the doorway, a smile on her face. "Hey teacher," Ed said, grinning, "Thanks for being my mom today."

"No problem," she said. She'd been growing weaker and weaker since Ed's disappearance, and had had to leave Wrath and her husband home this trip, unable to keep up with them and take care of her homunculus child. Ed winced when he saw her stumble at the door a little.

"You alright?"

"I'm fine," she said, nodding slowly, "This is your day, Elric, don't worry about me."

He nodded, losing the will to argue. She wouldn't accept help anyway.

Winry hadn't wanted him to wear gloves at the ceremony, and his metal hand poked out of his right sleeve awkwardly. Izumi watched him examine his hand.

"You really do look fine," she confirmed, "It's not as if we had much time to prepare."

"Yeah, I know."

Roy rolled his eyes from the corner. "You know I'm just messing with you Elric," he said, grinning.

"Shut up." The blonde's voice and hands shook now, his automail slightly rattling. Al laughed.

"Make sure you don't shake as much during the wedding, or everyone'll know!" Al said gleefully. The boy was probably more excited than anyone else about the whole affair, and had barely even slept the previous night.

"So run through the basics with me again," Ed said, letting out a breath and rocking back on his heels. Izumi shook her head, laughing.

"You wait for her at the altar."

"And she walks up and you listen to the priest say a bunch of stuff!" Al chimed in.

"And then you say your vows...put on the rings..." Roy added.

"...and you kiss her," Izumi said, and then thoughtfully added, "You'll have to do the first dance at the reception though."

Ed's eyes widened. "WHAT!"

The room stood still for a minute and Al finally told his brother to calm down. Izumi glared at the young man. "You just have to hold her and rock back and forth. That's it."

But Ed didn't seem to be listening. "Crap...I can't dance..."

"Well then," Roy said, putting a hand out to Izumi. "You might as well start learning now."

----

"So that must mean your Edward's brother?" Annaliese asked as Emmat sat outside the bakery with her. He nodded.

"Yes, I am...or, I'm really his half brother. My mother died and Hohenheim married Edward's father later."

"Mm," Annaliese acknowledged. Emmat seemed like a perfect gentleman, but there was something about him that really put her on edge. Something definitely wasn't right...even if he did resemble Edward so much. He was taller and lankier, but had the same long yellow hair. "So, tell me about yourself. Where have you been before now?"

"I lived in England for a few years," Emmat explained, "That's where the accent comes from...I attended university there."

"Did you really?" Annaliese said, raising her eyebrows, "I would love to go to university...but many women are still not accepted to most."

Emmat laughed good-naturedly, "Your confidence impresses me."

Annaliese smiled. "Oh really? It scares most men away."

"Well, I'm different," Emmat said, smiling.

"Quite different."

----

Ed shifted his feet nervously as the music started. He knew that Winry would be walking down that aisle soon, and he still hadn't seen her dress. And his automail was making more noise than he would've liked. He'd never known it could actually tremble before.

And there she was. Pinako walked with her in her father's stead, the older woman wearing a long floral dress that didn't really suit her. However, Winry was a vision.

Her white satin dress trailed behind her, picking up rose petals that Elysia had thrown on her way up to the alter. Tiny opals seemed to splash across the bodice of the dress, making his soon-to-be wife sparkle in the sun. Her hair was down, spilling down her back and all the way down to her waist in golden waves.

All of it was for him.

----

Winry tried to keep her head up and not glance around as she got closer to the altar. Ed was staring at her, and she had to keep from laughing nervously at the astounded look on his face. Riza, Gracia, and Rose all stood waiting for her in their own unique dresses, decorated in different shades of blue, while Roy and Al stood with Ed.

They were all watching her, making her a little nervous. She walked up and stood across from Ed, pulling her dress up behind her in frustration. "Didn't think I could look this good?" she muttered as the music continued.

Ed shook his head, grinning. She could hear his automail pieces clanking together and she almost laughed again. "You're beautiful," he whispered, reaching out and brushing his metal hand over her skin quickly.

She gave him another quick smile before they both turned towards the priest and he began speaking.

----

"I, Winry Rockbell," Winry repeated.

"Take you Edward Elric..."

"Take you Edward Elric..."

"...to be my husband..."

"...to be my husband..."

Winry curled her fingers nervously as she continued to repeat after the priest, gazing into Ed's eyes. He was smiling at her and she could tell that he felt exactly the same way...ecstatic, but a little nervous at the same time.

"...to have and to hold from this day forward..."

"...to have and to hold from this day forward..."

"...to love and cherish..."

"...to..." She paused, thinking about her words and smiling, before continuing. "...to love and cherish..." She finished the rest without the priest. "Forever." She already knew that not even death could tear them apart.

----

Ed repeated the vows as well, and then delicately took the ring from the priest, pulling Winry's hand up just as gently and remembering its origins.

"Come with me, Edward," Pinako said roughly, pulling him up the stairs. He walked into a musty old closet at the end of the hallway and looked around.

"Where are we?"

"This was Winry's parents' room," Pinako explained. Dust covered everything, as if the room had been untouched since the couple's death. "And these were their rings."

She turned towards him holding a box and his eyes widened.

A silver ring with an opalescent stone sat in the box, along with a small silver engagement ring to match and a more reserved, masculine ring that went along with the set as well.

"You want me to use these?" he asked, picking up the wife's ring and examining it.


Pinako nodded. "I didn't think you could afford a ring anyway, and I don't want her using that little stone circle forever."

He smiled, scratching his head. "Uh...thank you."

"Now repeat after me," the priest said, "With this ring, I thee wed."

"With this ring, I thee wed," Ed said quietly, quickly slipping off the stone ring and replacing it with the two silver rings. They fit perfectly. Winry looked down and then back up at him with tears springing up in her eyes.

She did the same, putting the silver band on his finger. He didn't even have to wait. "You may now kiss the -"

But they were already in each other's arms.

----

After the wedding, everyone happily went back into the house for the reception. The winter wind was picking up outside, and it looked like it might snow. The weather had barely been warm enough for them to hold the ceremony outside.

"That was beautiful," Riza said quietly to Roy as they walked inside after the newlyweds with the small crowd.

"I must say that you look stunning yourself..." Roy murmured into her hair, "Although I can't say you won't look better after I take that dress off of you."

She rolled her eyes at him and shoved him in the chest playfully. "And how do you know you're getting anything from me tonight, Roy Mustang?"

"I wasn't expecting this to be different from any of the other nights we've been here..."

----

"Alright everyone, clear the floor," Pinako's voice said loudly, "The bride and groom will start the first dance."

Ed held out his hand and Winry took it, grinning sheepishly at him. "You plus me equals four left feet..." she muttered playfully.

"But I can just blame it on the automail," he whispered in her ear as she put her arms around his neck and looked into his eyes.

They swayed gently back and forth to the music and Ed planted a light kiss on her lips, disregarding the crowd. "They tried to teach me to dance today," he said quietly.

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah...it didn't work."

She laughed. "Well, you're in luck. I can't dance worth a damn."

He laughed along with her and they both closed their eyes as other couples walked out onto the floor. A local band had kindly offered to play for the reception and ceremony, and almost all of Rizemboul had turned out for the wedding.

"This is the beginning of our life together," she said, opening her eyes and leaning her forehead against his.

His fingers lightly trailed along her figure and he pulled her closer, kissing her again. "When do we get to leave here and start this life you talk about?"

"After the party," she said against his lips, "Live with it."

"As long as I'm home," he said.

She laughed. "What do you mean?"

"You are home," he said quietly, "I realized that the other night...when we were together. It made me realize that I want you, and need you at the same time...and that I just can't live without you."

"Mmm...thanks," she said contentedly, "Same for you...but did I really have to do it with you to make you think that?"

He blushed. "No! I mean when I first came back-"

She silenced him with a kiss. "Shh...I know what you mean. It's OK."

----

The rest of the reception went perfectly. When he was drunk enough, Roy proposed a toast, managing to thoroughly embarrass both Ed and Winry. The children were sent to bed and Al casually reminded Ed about that baby he'd promised. Ed wondered if his little brother really knew more than he was letting on.

"Well, you two...where do you plan on going?" Pinako asked them as they got into the car that another townsperson had provided.

Winry glanced over to Ed as she spoke. "I was thinking we could just ride the train wherever it takes us...maybe get some shopping done with all that money Ed has saved up at the bank in Central...?"

Ed nodded, "Whatever you want to do, I'll go for it."

Pinako laughed at the happy couple, knowing what he was really thinking. "You mean as long as you've still got my granddaughter in your bed," she said effortlessly. He stared at her and Winry burst out laughing as they shut the door and rolled down the window. "You better take good care of her, boy."

"I will!" Ed called behind them.

And with that, the car rode away.

Pinako's only living relative wasn't alone anymore.

----

A/N: I hope that was nice and fluffy enough for you! I sure did think it was...of course, I don't know much about weddings, but I thought I did a pretty good job and made it fairly romantic...

So please TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. That means that you should...

REVIEW!

Hehe...thanks for your time.

--Kat
Sign up to rate and review this story