Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Don't Hold Your Breath

Chapter 5

by BlueEyedEskimo 1 review

New chapter up! Sorry this took so long, basically I'm a lazy fuck for not writing this sooner:)

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Humor,Romance - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way - Published: 2012-06-09 - Updated: 2012-06-09 - 2589 words

0Unrated
A/N Okay, so I'm a lazy fucker and I didn't finish this for ages. I'm sorry:')
Stupid exams are over in two weeks, then I have loads of time for writing this, hopefully thats good news for some people who are reading. On an unrelated note: OMFG I WENT TO SEE COLDPLAY ON MONDAY. Yup.
Anyway, tadaaaah!! :) R&R, I'd love to know what you guys are thinking:3


Chapter 5

Despite the good night’s sleep, I still managed to be late this morning. I had to skip my shower and ruffle my hair about as best I could to salvage the mess it had become after sleeping on it. A glance in the mirror as I was heading out the front door with a piece of toast hanging out my mouth confirmed I looked as bad as I felt. I munched the toast down quickly and swiped some eyeliner over my waterlines, pocketed the pencil and leapt out the door, smiling like a maniac. Eh, who cares what I look like?
Oh, wait.

**

“Run, Frank, run!” Gerard hollered at me as he and Mikey were climbing on the bus behind a group of old biddies. I was running towards him, flailing my arms about like an idiot, my backpack slamming into me with every footstep.
“Please tell me you picked up your report, Frank.” I came to a stop and hunched over in front of him, clutching my side and trying to regain my breath. I straightened up just long enough to give him a pained look and shake my head, wobbling my bottom lip slightly before tucking my head back down to hide my smirk.
I felt a hand lay on my shoulder, one that trailed down my back and rubbed gently up and down in a soothing manner. I savored the moment and stifled a giggle as his hand brushed over the small of my back. I figured it was an accident, but probably enjoyed it a little too much. Peering up through my fringe, I flash him a cheeky grin and his expression softens, his smile mirroring my own. His hand seems to linger a little too long, but disappointment floods through me when he removes it.
“You little fucker.” He said with a smile, and punched my arm playfully. I faked huge amounts of pain, staggering backwards and groaning, causing one of the old women in front to turn round and glare at us. The whole time, Mikey just stands there looking embarrassed, shaking his head and tutting like one of the old crones he’s surrounded by.
Gerard’s smile widens and he reaches out and grabs me by the elbow, jolting me forward and onto the bus before the doors close. We find seats half way down the quiet bus, Gerard taking his usual seat next to me and Mikey sitting in front of us with his headphones jammed in his ears, blaring music and watching the road flit past the window. I returned my focus back to Gerard to find him staring at me and grinning like he’d just eaten a tube of blue Smarties.
“So, what’s your idea?”
I was hoping he’d forget. Turns out my plan wouldn’t work with just the two of us, maybe three if we bribed Mikey with ice cream. We needed more people, and it’s not like there was anyone I could ask to help. Gerard was my only friend.
“Well, I had a couple of ideas actually. But…I don’t think any of them are going to work.”
“Why not?” His smile shrunk a fraction, but I noticed.
“I…um…I didn’t really think them through.” Another fraction. “We need more people…to help.” I stuttered my way through the explanation, watching Gerard’s face flood with disappointment and feeling blood rush to my cheeks at the embarrassment of building up his hopes. He looked thoughtful for a second, then his little white teeth shone as the smile rippled across his face again.
“So if I can get people to help, your ideas are good to go, right?” I nodded in response, completely unaware as to where this was headed.
“Well then, I have a plan.”

**

“Fuck you, Gerard Way.”
The taller boy had been clinging to my wrist since the minute we walked out of home room and has been hauling me along the corridor. I could feel warmth from his hand where his flesh met mine at the gap between my gloves and the sleeve of my jacket. Such soft hands…
I tumbled out of my daydream when my shoes snagged on a loose tile, Gerard’s grip keeping me upright. Without warning, we swung abruptly to the right and into a classroom. Oh brilliant, 1st period is Geography. I almost forgot.
“So you dragged me all that way so we wouldn’t be late for Geography? Oh you’re so considerate.” I grumbled sarcastically, pathetically attempting to pull my wrist from Gerard’s grasp. To my surprise, he just tightened his grip.
“Frankie, listen. I have an idea, just wait for me here until I call you over, okay?” I drag my gaze to his eyes, trying to obtain any hints they might hold. But as usual, they just glowed a perfect hazel green. I didn’t have to look away from his eyes to know he was smiling at me, when he smiled, his eyes did too. To avoid melting anymore than I already had, I looked away and he took it as his queue to initiate his plan, whatever it was. He tucked his hands into his front pockets and strolled towards Andy and his gang who were sprawled out over the back desks, laughing together. As much as I dislike Andy, I guess I sort of have some messed up respect for him. I mean, he is completely himself and no one gives him any shit for it. He was sat on one of the central desks surrounded by his mob, one tight black denim-clad leg connected to a scuffed biker boot balanced on an upturned chair, a pack of cards being shuffled aimlessly in his gloved hands. He noticed Gerard’s approach and smiled in his direction, his deep voice carrying the word “Hey” across the room. Gerard leaned his weight on the desk opposite Andy, obscuring my view of the tattooed rebel. I couldn’t hear their conversation from where I stood, but the occasional hoarse chuckle from Andy was audible. Eventually Gerard turned around and his gaze settled on where I was stood and nodded in my direction. I tipped my head down and shuffled awkwardly to the group of boys, blushing furiously. Without looking up, I stumbled towards where Gerard was leant against the desk and hoisted myself onto it next to him, crossing my legs and still keeping my gaze down. A gentle nudge to the ribs from Gerard made me look up to where everyone was staring expectantly at me. I didn’t know what to say.
“Uh…I…” I was too nervous to string a sentence together, only mumbled words escaped my lips.
“Frank, this is Andy, Jake, Ashley, Christian and Jerem-”
“Jinxx.” One of the boys corrected him, reaching up the brush his messy black hair from his face and staring at me curiously. I looked back downwards, unsure how to react. Andy cleared his throat in an attempt to get my attention. I peered up at him, surprised at how calm he appeared.
Andy smiled genuinely at me, “Yeah, I know Frank. You’re the kid Gary likes to slam around, right?” I nodded sheepishly, attempting to keep my gaze anywhere but his darkly outlined blue eyes.
“Bastard thinks he runs this place. No one should have to put up with his shit.”
“It’s harder to get away from than you think.” I felt Gerard relax slightly, the blush fading from my cheeks. A spark of shock ignited in my mind; I just spoke to him.
“You should stick around with us more often. There is no way he’d fuck with you then.” I felt a smile curling up on my face; no one had ever given a shit about me before. Even if Gerard had told him to say that to make me feel better, I didn’t care. And I knew Gerard well enough to know that wasn’t true anyway. If Andy and his gang could stop Gary getting to me, then he would have less chance too. Dark thoughts swirled into my head and ripped the smile from my face almost as soon as it appeared.
No.
No one could stop him.
The banter around me resumed, Jinxx and Jake arguing loudly. I wasn’t really listening, my mind was too polluted with horror that it consumed me. I shuddered internally, trying to force the intrusive thoughts back into the dull murmur I had grown accustomed to.
No, no, no…
“No!”
It took me a moment to realize I’d opened my mouth by mistake. The argument stopped and I felt six pairs of eyes boring into me, including Gerard’s. I uncurled my fingers from the tight position they had arranged themselves in, and looked over at Gerard. He looked as confused as the others, but there was an unmistakable look of concern in those familiar eyes.
“I…uh….I think…um…” I stuttered over an unformed sentence as I rattled my brain for an excuse for my outburst. “I…I think I left my phone on the bus.”
Before anyone got the chance to question my statement, Mr Kennedy slammed the side door shut and silenced any conversations. People scrambled to their desks, but before I could flee Gerard grabbed my sleeve and yanked me down into the seat next to him. Shrugging my bag off my shoulder, I slouched into the chair and threw my books on the desk. Mr Kennedy was a scary fucker, when he was in a bad mood; no one tested his patience unless they wanted a month of detentions. Today was one of those days.
“Right, children.” I never really understood why he called us ‘children’. I guess since he was around when dinosaurs roamed the earth it makes sense that we’re merely babies to him. “Watch this. Don’t talk.” He rubbed small circles on his temples and nudged his wide frame glasses further up his pointy upturned nose before turning on the TV and putting on some DVD about Africa. I leant my elbows on the desk and put my chin in my hands, relaxing a little.
About halfway through the video, I received a gentle nudge from Gerard as he slipped a note onto my desk. I unfolded it in the darkness and stared at the scrawled handwriting, lit slightly by the light from the television.
Gerard said you had some ideas to raise money for the ski trip and we said we’d help. Meet us at the benches by the tennis courts and we’ll talk?
Andy signed his name with a small smiley face with fangs. I smiled slightly and looked in his direction. He was looking at me, obviously waiting for a response. I nodded and he gave me a thumbs up to acknowledge my response. I went to fold the paper up, then noticed there was writing on the other side. I recognized it quickly to be Gerards.
Are you okay? G xo
He was staring at me when I looked at him. I gave him what I hoped was a convincing smile, tucked the paper in the side pocket of my jeans and balled my fists under the table.

Fuck.

**

“So. Ideas, Frank?” Andy raised a questioning eyebrow at me.
All seven of us were sprawled out in the gap separating the tennis courts and the maths block, shielded from the rest of the school by a waist height brick wall which I was currently perched on, thudding my feet against the brickwork because they didn’t reach the floor. Gerard swung his legs in time with mine, the soles of his shoes scraping the concrete floor every so often. Andy was crouched to my right with his back against the tennis courts fence and a lit cigarette drooping from the left side of his mouth. The other four guys had assumed what I guessed was their normal positions, leaning on the fence or with their backs against the wall Gerard and I were sitting on. I squirmed a little under Andy’s gaze.
“Oh…Okay. Right…but they’re a bit stupid…”
“Frank.” Gerard sighed next to me, folding his arms and gripping my forearm reassuringly for a second. I turned to look back at Andy.
“Okay.” I paused, steadied my breathing and tried to act as confident as I could. “Right, well my cousin raised money for a trip to Croatia a few years back. I think he did laser tag or something.”
“What do you mean?” Andy’s confused face matched the others.
“Well, I think he hired out some gear and charged people per game to use it.” I looked round at Gerard to see his reaction. His mouth was turned up in a smile, a glint of white appearing between his lips.
“A bake sale?” I wasn’t sure this was a good idea, but hey, no idea is a bad idea!
“Well I can’t see this,” Andy held his arms forward and gestured to his pale face, leather jacket, and biker boots, “enticing little kids into buying cupcakes. Sorry, Frank. Anything else?”
Okay, so maybe that was a bad idea. But I didn’t let his response knock me back, “Car washing?”
“Cliché, but it could work.” The other boys nodded in agreement. “Okay, so that’s two ideas, when do you want us to- ”
“Actually,” I cut him off, “I had one more idea, but I only thought of it last period. You guys can say no, but I figured I might as well ask.” Andy blew a cloud of smoke upwards before grinding his cigarette to a stump on the concrete and flicking it at Jake. “You’re in a band, right?”
“Yeah! You been to any of our gigs?” Ashley spoke up for the first time today. He doesn’t seem interested in conversation most of the time, because he’s too busy staring at some girls tits across the classroom.
“No, but I know you’re good.”
“What’s your point?” Christian asked. His monotone voice lead me to believe he wasn’t as into helping Gerard as the rest of them.
“I was thinking, if you charged extra, you could-”
“Give some of the earnings to me!” Gerard burst out next to me, realizing what I was trying to say. He jumped up off the wall to face me, a spectacular grin splitting his face. I smiled back, pleased I had made him so happy.
I slipped down off the wall and stood next to Gerard. Jake, Ashley and Jinxx were chatting excitedly about their band, Christian stood beside them, listening but not contributing to their conversation. I turned back to Andy who was still sat on the floor. He reached up a leather glove clad hand towards me, which I took, and hauled him up off the floor. He grinned madly.
“That, Frankie boy, is the best fucking idea I’ve heard all day.”
Sign up to rate and review this story