Categories > Cartoons > X-Men: Evolution > Revolution

Chapter 02

by Mikari 0 reviews

Chapter 02: Hidden

Category: X-Men: Evolution - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Nightcrawler,Professor Xavier,Shadowcat,Spyke,Storm,Wolverine - Published: 2012-06-12 - Updated: 2012-06-12 - 2567 words - Complete

0Unrated
KurtxKitty and LancexTabitha were tied in the poll. In second place there was ToddxWanda and a tie between two different Logan pairings, Rogue and Ororo. In terms of reviews, most people agree that it should be KurtxKitty. RoguexRemy was also suggested, albeit it was not in the poll, but I added it now. So far I'm going with KurtxKitty as the main pair if that's what you guys want.

I'll probably add some secondary pairings later, so keep letting me know what you want to see. You can still vote in the poll. Don't worry if you've used up your votes (you get 3), you can still express your opinions via review. Without further ado, on to chapter 2! There's plot in the first half of it, then the beginning of the KurtxKitty side of the story in the second half. Enjoy! :)

Revolution

Chapter 02: Hidden

With wary and very overheated expressions, Ororo, Logan, Hank, Rogue, Kitty, Kurt and Evan headed inside the institute to talk to Professor Xavier about the weather's unwillingness to cooperate. However, after taking one look at Xavier's attire as he sat in the living room reading a book, most of them decided that just looking at his long sleeved shirt was enough to feel hotter and promptly made a detour towards the kitchen hoping to find some ice, popsicles or to simply stand in front of the open refrigerator to cool off.

"Is something wrong?" Xavier didn't even need to use his psychic abilities to reach such an obvious conclusion. The sweaty dejected faces in front of him spoke volumes as he looked up from his book. He had a feeling that this would be more than just a few passing words. Thus he picked up a bookmark from the small table next to him and placed it in the book, closing it and setting it on the table next to his cup of tea. The tea had been sitting forgotten for a while as Xavier had become absorbed in the book, rich in cultural and historical information, but the tea was, not surprisingly given the temperature, still steaming.

"Yes, there's something wrong!" Logan nearly growled, while Hank stood open mouthed and Ororo shook her head. "How can you be dressed like that in this heat?" Logan himself was sporting a pair of shorts and a tank top, being unable to bear the heat in his usual attire. Ororo was also dressed in summer fashion, with her cheeks exhibiting a very rosy tone as a result of the heat and recent effort.

"Mind over matter," Xavier simply explained and Hank couldn't resist the need to run his hand down his face. Knowing all too well that this was not the only thing they were there to communicate, he prompted, "was there something you wanted to say?"

Ororo began to explain what had just transpired in a very summarized way. "The weather is not responding to my powers. I don't feel different and at first it looked like it was working, but then there was resistance." I'm not sure if it's because nature doesn't have any rain to give because of all this heat or something else... I'm worried that it's something else."

With his face turning serious and analytical, Xavier inquired, "you're sure this lack of responsiveness is not due to being tired?"

Ororo nodded, "I'm sure of it."

Xavier wasn't sure what to think of it. For it to be a natural phenomenon was unexpected, but there was no reason to suspect the involvement of another mutant, more so one that could influence the weather. Plus Ororo had made it clear that she thought her powers were functional and this was something else, outside interference not directly linked to her. "I can't be certain about what's happening yet, but I'll begin a search with Cerebro."

xoxox xox xoxox

A few minutes later, Xavier placed Cerebro's helmet on his head, with Logan and Ororo watching standing left and right of him. Hank had taken a much needed divergence to the kitchen, where he hoped to find some cold water to alleviate his dehydration... if the students had not yet consumed it all. Then, if there were no immediate emergencies to tend to, he would probably spend the rest of the afternoon trying to find ways to stay cool.

Cerebro responded to Xavier as usual. He could sense the energy signatures of several mutants; however, those were mutants that the X-Men were already aware of. Things seemed to be relatively calm for the Brotherhood and there were no unusual energy signatures near them. The neutral mutants and other known mutants seemed to be going about their normal lives with nothing about their presence standing out. Xavier focused more, but he still couldn't find anything that was out of place, at least not in Cerebro's range.

The Professor extended the range beyond New York, covering a vast area of the United States and a considerable portion of Canada. If there was another mutant interfering with Ororo's abilities, then it would only be reasonable that they could be found within a certain range of her location. Yet despite the range being greater than what one would think was needed to affect the area, there was still nothing out of the ordinary to be found.

After one last check to be sure and a pause, Xavier opened his eyes, which he had closed in concentration and removed Cerebro's helmet. "I wasn't able to find anything..." He revealed, though given his silence and expression during the scanning process, Logan and Ororo expected as much. "Let's try a meditation exercise," he suggested, just in case.

"Alright," though Ororo was sure that her powers were indeed working as usual, she decided not to discard the possibility that the problem did lie with her. Maybe she was dehydrated or just mentally exhausted from the unpleasant heat and it was somehow affecting her, despite not perceiving any change in the flow of her own energy.

"Well, I guess I'll leave you to that." As no further information was available at the time, Logan took his leave, hoping to get back to finishing his food.

"Logan," Xavier called out unexpectedly, but in a tone that lacked the urgency that would come if he had just noticed something imperative.

Logan turned to look at him from the entrance to Cerebro's room. "Yeah?"

"Could you give Jean and Scott a call?" Xavier requested.

Logan nodded, "sure." Jean and Scott were off visiting their respective families for a few days, but it wouldn't hurt to tell them to keep their eyes open just in case.

xoxox xox xoxox

When the next day came, there was still no new information to be found. Ororo's meditation exercise went well; her powers should in fact be functioning normally. Xavier wondered if this was all somehow a natural phenomenon, if the planet itself was simply exhausted. He wouldn't discard the possibility of outside interference, but right now, there was no proof of it.

For the time being, life went on with a summer vacation that was not as enjoyable as it should be due to the stubborn heat wave that refused to end. While dealing with the heat and considering the prospect of shaving off all his fur, Kurt decided that he needed to go out and do something before he lost his mind. It had been a long time since he had gone on a date with Amanda. Though she was as sweet and kind as ever, their relationship had always been calm and slow, a detail that didn't really bother him, albeit as of late it felt slower than usual.

Even so, Kurt wasn't sure he was really up for a date with how the heat made him somewhat cranky. He didn't want to appear in a bad mood that would make Amanda think he wasn't enjoying her company. His thoughts drifted to Kitty and how she was always able to cheer him up. He smiled at the image of her smiling face in his memories. Perhaps he should make this a sort of group outing instead. With such a plan decided on, Kurt went to invite a few people to tag along and go... somewhere, perhaps he would ask Kitty for ideas.

Making his way out of his room and down the hall, the first person that Kurt crossed paths with was coincidentally the one he was looking for. He greeted her with weary cheer, glad to see her, but still annoyed by the heat wave. Somehow she could discern that the hint of displeasure was not at all directed at her and immediately took it upon herself to get rid of that bother altogether. "How about we go somewhere to cool off?"

"Music to my ears!" Peculiarly, Kurt found that his bad mood was already evaporating in Kitty's optimistic aura. "I was actually thinking about the same thing, but I'm not sure where to go. Hanging out at the pool didn't work out as well as I hoped yesterday."

Kitty nodded in agreement, "the water is like boiling because of the sun. Going to an outdoor pool now would just make things that much worse. There aren't that many indoor air-conditioned pools, it's a long drive and not worth it because of the crowds. The mall is crowded too, people are like gathering there just for the AC." After another moment of thought, an idea occurred to her. "How about the amusement park?"

"I bet there's a great breeze at the roller coaster!" Kurt enthusiastically agreed. "Thanks Kitty; I knew you would come up with a great idea."

xoxox xox xoxox

As Kurt and Kitty left the institute, they saw Evan pestering a very irate Logan, who was trying to repair the building's central air conditioning system. "C'mon man, can't you fix it? Please? The AC's been broken for three days, we're all dying here!"

"You're not making it any better by complaining!" Logan growled. He was at the end of his patience. "Shut up and hand me that screwdriver!"

With a tired breath and a frustrated pout, Evan handed over the requested tool and decided it was time to stop pestering the temperamental man with the sharp claws. Self preservation was a strong instinct and very difficult to ignore. Instead, Evan approached the passing Kitty and Kurt inquiring with mild curiosity, "where are you guys heading?"

It was then that Kurt remembered that this was supposed to be a group outing, but he just naturally agreed to go with just Kitty and she didn't seem to notice, or didn't mind. 'Of course she doesn't mind,' Kurt mused, 'we're friends, it's okay for friends to go out together... just two friends.' Though the thought was supposed to be comforting, it wasn't. He had stopped trying to ignore the fact that he had feelings for Kitty, feelings that he buried deep and tried to erase completely when he was sure she would never return them. Denial could only get so far, but silence, he thought, could be eternal.

"The amusement park," Kitty replied casually and cheerfully.

"Long lines and big crowds," Evan frowned, "you two must be really eager to go on a date if you're willing to face that!" He teased.

Kurt blushed, though it was not noticeable under his fur. Kitty's rosy face was easy to see, but if Evan dared to point it out even under her warning glare, she could attribute the color to the heat. "It's not a date," she spoke as casually as she could muster. Then she remembered that there was in fact a good reason why it shouldn't be. "Kurt has a girlfriend you know." A girl who didn't waste her time with stupid insecurities and worries about how complicated things could get and how a precious friendship could be lost. A girl who didn't waste her opportunity, a sweet girl that kind Kitty couldn't find it in her heart to resent. Her statement only made Kurt feel guilty, though it was certainly not her intention and she didn't really notice the change in his expression.

Kitty looked away for a moment, trying to compose herself, then smiled as she looked back at Kurt, albeit the smile didn't reach her kind yet slightly regretful eyes. "You should invite Amanda to come along," but she didn't want to feel like the third wheel, thus Kitty quickly added, "I'll go get... Rogue," she wasn't sure if Rogue would be up to going to the amusement park. Quite frankly, if Kitty had to take a guess about Rogue's most likely answer, it would be no. Evan had already basically stated that he didn't feel like going before a direct invitation could even be made. "I'll like be right back!" With the convenient excuse of finding Rogue, Kitty dashed back inside, leaving Kurt and Evan standing there to the sound of Logan insulting the faulty air conditioner.

A moment of silence passed between Kurt and Evan, with only Logan's angry voice being heard. The lack of conversation stretched into an apparent eternity until finally, Evan spoke. "I said something I shouldn't have, didn't I?"

Though Kurt wasn't usually one to snap, his sour mood returned the second Kitty was gone and the guilt that hung over him wasn't making it any easier. None the less, there was little aggression behind his tired and sarcastic, "you think?" Which only prompted Evan's curiosity further. Not wanting to invite any unwanted questions, especially questions that he didn't even know the answer to in the privacy of his own mind, Kurt tried to sound relaxed. "It's nothing," he attempted to show that there was nothing going on with a casual invitation. "Are you sure you don't want to come to the amusement park with everyone?"

Evan considered it for a moment. He didn't have anything to do and if it was a group outing rather than a date, he would perhaps tag along. Yet he didn't think Rogue was likely to agree to go and then maybe Amanda would be coincidentally busy or something in which case, curiosity aside, he didn't want to interrupt those two. Then there were the factors of the long lines, bright sun and large crowds. Albeit maybe most people thought that and the crowds were actually more so in the pools and at the mall. Maybe the amusement park wasn't so crowded after all... After another moment of consideration, Evan finally replied, "nah, I think I'll pass."

To be Continued

The title of this story is a reference to the latest Slayers series that has seasons titled "Revolution" and "Evolution-R." The story itself is not related to it, only the title is a reference. Speaking of Slayers, I'm almost done posting the chapters to my longest fanfic, "Slayers: Alive" which will be 150 chapters long and about half a million words. If you like the Slayers series, be sure to check it out and let me know what you think.

As for this story, it won't be that long, albeit it will very likely reach at least twenty chapters, possibly more. Those who have read my stories before know they tend to grow a few extra chapters beyond the plan. I do have the basic outline all the way to the end, so you don't need to worry about this story being abandoned.
Sign up to rate and review this story