Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Title in the Making

Nothing before Noon

by CafeConLeche 0 reviews

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2012-06-20 - Updated: 2012-06-21 - 488 words

0Unrated
"Mmrg..." was Maira's most eloquent response. "You bastard, you know I have a strict policy of not doing anything before noon."

She blindly reached for the blanket that was in a heap at her knees and pulled it swiftly over her head. Maira and I have traveled to many places and suffered many harsh trials that I can attest all took place after noon. I grinned at her lazy shape as I strode over to her side of the room. The small inn was humble but homey and the smell of country breakfast permeated the air. The sun was winking at me through the closed curtains, telling me it was time to leave and keep moving towards our destination. I sat on the edge of the bed, admiring for a moment how the sun caught the white blonde wisps of hair on the pillow. It reminded of how lucky I was to have someone on this crazy adventure with me.

"I mean it," I said in a jokingly stern tone as I tickled her feet. "You may dislike getting up before noon, but I know for certain you loathe starting a day without breakfast." Her foot twitched in my hand and I knew I had her attention. Grinning I added "Sure is starting to smell like fried lizard eggs down there."

Attent at once, she sprang into motion, limbs flying every which way as she looked frantically for some fresh attire, mumbling curses to herself all the while. I combed my fingers through my brown hair as to not appear to under polished for the day either.

"Alright, I'm ready." Maira called from the door. "Let's get some grub then hit the road, Zeph. We shouldn't stay in one place for too long." I couldn't help the snort that escaped my throat. Depend on this woman to take credit for any leadership. I'm sure if she retold the tale of how we met, I'd be the enslaved dancer whom she managed to pry from the clutches of a greedy slave trader, and I only mean that as half a joke because I really wouldn't put it past her. Maira was basically through the door when she came to a sudden halt and turned to me in disdain. "What are we again? I can't remember our damn story to save my life."

"Newlyweds this time," I wrapped my arm around her shoulder as we exited the suite with our few things. "And I believe our hosts are quite curious as to our beautiful love story, Honey, so I hope you are prepared to talk your little lips off." I gave her my best rakish smile which turned genuine when I saw her scratch the back of her head in frustration.

"Oh, goody." She mumbled as we cracked open the door to the communal dining area.

((-Grins- Your move, L. And to anyone reading, thank you for dropping by!))

-C
Sign up to rate and review this story