Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > 100 Ways To Torture Gerard Way

62. The Escapist

by theescapist99 15 reviews

All is over, at last.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Mikey Way - Published: 2012-06-20 - Updated: 2012-06-20 - 1741 words - Complete

4Moving
62. The Escapist

Mikey Way read through the short article for what must have been the thousandth time. Beside him, his cell phone had been ringing endlessly for the entire afternoon, and he thought he may have heard the doorbell once or twice. But his eyes could not remove themselves from the words on the screen, despite how much he hated what they told him.

Maybe he still didn't believe what they said.

Maybe this was all another dumb hoax or silly fanfic made up by another psychotic fan.

But no fanfiction would be posted on every major news websites, or reported on television news, or have gripped the nation like this had. And again, Mikey read the words, unable to escape them no matter where he turned.

MASS MURDER-SUICIDE AT IRVINE MEDICAL CENTER

January 3 2012 -- Authorities are still investigating how mental patient Gerard Way, 34, managed to get a hold of a security guard's gun, with which he shot 10 different staff members before shooting himself.

Way, former lead singer of the rock group My Chemical Romance, had been placed at the facility after assaulting a nurse at the Intercommunity Hospital in Covina. In the previous year, Way had been held captive by a cult based in Arizona that centered around experimentation of the human body. He was rescued during a rogue operation led by his own friends Frank Iero and Michael Pedicone on October 20, 2011. The cult had since disbanded, ring leader Angelo Kristine placed under arrest and now awaiting trial. However despite physical and psychological therapy, sources believe that Way continued to remain mentally unstable.

Journal entries from the previous month reveal that Way believed that he still remained with his captors, who he called "blackbirds". Hospital staff says that Way would react as though "being tortured" to even the simplest of procedures.

"He was always screaming." says Angela Palmer, a medical assistant who worked with Way. "It was like we were attacking him every time we administered an injection, but we obviously weren't. It was difficult because there was a lot that had to be done with him, he was in really bad shape."

While Way had been taken to the hospital immediately after rescue, he had been forced to return a second time when he attempted suicide by swallowing a variety of hospital prescribed pills.

"He had gone to stay with his brother Mikey." says a close friend who has requested to remain anonymous, "Everything had been going well. We had this big reunion feast for him where he finally got to see his wife and daughter again, and that same night we find him in his room, overdosing. I don't know what went wrong."

Dr. Normand Guttenpalli, Way's psychologist during his confinement in Irvine believes it was merely a bad case of psychosis. "You can't go through the kind of trauma he did, as long as he did, and suddenly go back to your old life like nothing happened. While I'm not saying Gerard would have never recovered, he had a long way to go before he could accept that he was truly safe. I think it was a foolish decision to discharge him the first time they did."

Also revealed in Way's personal journal was a possible hint as to who may have kidnapped Way in the first place. It reads: "I think I remembered something today, about before I got here...I was meeting someone...I was meeting someone named Bert, I met someone named Bert... but then my memory blanks, and it's all just darkness again..."

Responding to this lead, police have arrested fellow rockstar and former close friend Robert McCracken and are currently holding him for questioning.

The general census is that the shooting was not premeditated.

"I think he saw a gun, saw an opportunity to 'escape', and just went for it." Way's former wife, Lindsey Ballato believes. "My husband, or whatever he is... I know him, and I know he would never kill anyone that didn't do something truly horrible to him. He was a very gentle and kind soul, and I think he was until the very end. It's hard to imagine him being anything but."

Way's mother Donna wholeheartedly agrees, "My son was a good person. He took care of those he loved. He took care of those he didn't even know. He would worry about fans at his shows, if someone looked hurt or sick he would try to help them. With everything going on, at the very least, I don't want his baby girl to grow up ever thinking otherwise. I don't want her to look at what the media says and think that her daddy was some monster that shot people. He had gone through something horrible and he just didn't think he had another way out."

Gerard's brother and closest friend Mikey Way has yet to be reached for comment, but bandmate Ray Toro insists that they are all in need of a time for healing. "Gerard was a brother to us all. Frank has secluded himself too, and to be honest, I don't much care for answering questions these days either. I will always vouch for Gerard, that he was a wonderful, wonderful person -- but that is all I want to say. I hope that that at least is enough for our fans, because I think they know it too."

Memorial services for Way are currently being planned, as well as a mass service for all those who were involved.


Mikey shut his eyes, opened them again, but the headline still stared back at him. His heart ached with the desire, the longing that this had all been some terrible nightmare. He needed Gerard more than ever, to tell him that things were going to be okay. To give him that crooked smile of encouragement he used to give him before every show, when they were just starting out.

But there was no one around, and certainly no Gerard. There never would be again. Mikey knew he would have to go forward onto the stage of the world without him.

He remembered one of the last meaningful things Gerard had told him, maybe a month before he disappeared. A mug in his hand and a cigarette in the other, he said, "I am incredibly proud of you. When we went on that first tour mom kept nagging me about watching out for me. But really, you were the one who ended up looking out for my ass most of the time. I don't really think...I don't think you ever needed me much at all."

"That's silly." Mikey had scoffed, "I wouldn't have made it out without you either."

"I did my best." Gerard took a sip, "But you're the one who did way better than even you expected. You doubt yourself too much, kid."

"Better to doubt than to be big headed and foolish." Mikey retorted.

"I think..." Gerard smiled, "...everyone needs a little bit of both."

In a sudden spark of inspiration, like a warm cup of coffee poured by your best friend, Mikey got up out of his chair, feeling weak and tired. He walked to his front door, and clenched the doorknob. His hand shaking, he unlocked it and turned the knob slowly. Pulling the door back, Mikey stepped forward. He squinted at the sun but smiled at the wind, and he stepped outside for the first time in an eternity.


END.






No, really this time.







A/N: Okay, so let's face it.

My time here had been coming to end for a while, and is coming to an end, if it hasn't already. I wanted to make sure I used whatever writing juice I had, however little, in at least giving this story it's ending. I still plan to write now and then, depending on how things go, but just to be safe, let's seal this thing off.

Like I had said at the very beginning of this story, I never thought this story would reach 100 chapters.
And the fact is, I really need to start leaving this man alone --- even besides the fact that he would have died a LONG, LONG time ago if this story was ever striving to be realistic. I like Gerard, I really do. But I don't know, I feel like my passion to do horrible, violent things to him is fading, and at this point, I might just want to be "friends". I will still continue to run Gerard Way Confessions for as long as I have the pictures for it, but I think the fanfiction at least needs... a break.

Rest assured, I will still try to write your requests. If one day, I truly know I can't do it anymore, then I will post all my requests in a note on here and see if anyone else would like to pick up the plots so at least some of them shall be written.

Currently, I'm entering my last quarter of college, starting today. Who knows, getting back into school my get me back into writing too. But that will be for other stories. I've invested a lot in this one, we all have, and it's been a long time coming --- but I truly feel that this needs to be put to rest. For anyone who that disappoints, I am sorry.

Oh and if you didn't get the ending, here is the email I sent out to everyone who had asked for it: "Gerard was rescued in Chapter 50. After he swallowed the pills, he was rushed to the hospital by Mikey, where multiple surgeries were preformed on him. Unfortunately his mind is so damaged at this point, similar to what his physician had said, he could not tell the difference between where he was (back with the blackbirds) and where he is (at the hospital). He eventually attacks a doctor, thinking it is a blackbird and is then moved to a small cell in a mental facility. This imprisonment only feeds his delusion further. He does begin to notice differences from the first half of the story (changes in the room, the tortures become more invasive) etc. But for the most part, it feels almost the same -- weird injections, invasive touching, restraints, surgeries, random people coming in and out in coats."

Welp, I guess that's it then. I will see you when I see you.

- Alexandra (my actual name)
Sign up to rate and review this story