Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > Strangeland

Chapter Fourteen

by ArielMaria 0 reviews

Jared gets disturbing news from the detective as he tries to cope with everything falling apart.

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2012-06-20 - Updated: 2012-06-21 - 645 words - Complete

0Unrated
Jared opened his eyes, his mind a blur of inconsistent sleep. His eyes were heavy and his stress had yet to leave him. The inn he had stopped in was small, kind of rank and completely not the kind of place he wanted to be in. The images on the sun danced in the newly lit room and the small air conditioner hummed softly. Heavily he sighed as he sat up, unable to sleep and not really wanting to anymore. He had given up on trying to do anything normal. He would have just loved to live somehow without the burdens of any abnormalities but that seemed to have gone out the window when everything had started happening.

He dragged himself into the bathroom and looked at his face in the mirror. He was completely unkempt. But what was expected from an unemployed bastard? He had only recently lost everything. Wasn't he entitled to looking like crap?

He raked a lazy hand through his hair and went to shower, putting on some casual clothes once he was finished. He wasn't sure what to do today, nothing and no one was waiting for him. He was sure that no one cared at this moment if he fell off the face of the earth. His phone hadn't rang, no texts flooded in, not even a damn email. Of course he hadn't expected anything like that after what had happened. But hell where was his sympathy?

He took a candy bar out from his bag, he had bought it the night before, and sat on the edge of the bed. He didn't allow himself to think as he sat there biting off parts from the bar but still millions of thoughts poured in and he was lost to them as usual.

His phone rang then snapping him away from his tired thoughts.

"Hello?" He was a little unsure. It had been a week since he had left his moms house and everyday had passed without a call. He was almost too thankful to be away. Nothing had been happening since then.

"Mr.Leto? This is Detective Hiddleston."

The voice rang a shock through Jared as his mind began to wonder what could have happened for the detective to call. "Hey, Detective...."

"Mr.Leto, your brother....he's gone missing."

Jared sat there, speechless, lost in whatever thoughts began to pour in through his mind. "Shannon?" He croaked out, his voice small, shaky.

"He's been gone a little over three days now...You didn't know?"

The thought occurred to Jared that neither his mom or Emma had thought to tell him. Were they really so upset with him. "For how long?"

"About three days...Your mom said that you might know where he is?"

"I haven't seen him in a week, detective."

There was a drawn moment of silence before the detective spoke again. "Would you mind coming to the station? Help us out with some details?"

"Of course...anything." He could feel the burn of tears ravaging his eyes, could feel them forming in his throat.

"One more thing Mr.Leto....we have a fingerprint it was sent to the lab."

Jared realized only then that for a while he had somehow suspected Shannon of doing it, that on top of everything he felt that his brother had the ability to do something so heinous. But now with the detective telling him that Shannon was missing how could he have thrown anymore accusations his way?

"I'll be there in a few minutes..." And with that Jared hung up his phone, letting it slide to the floor from his hands. He leaned forward on his knees and let out a cry as he buried his face in his hands. Everything in his life seemed to be falling apart. The thought that Shannon was gone cut him fiercely to the core.
Sign up to rate and review this story