Categories > Cartoons > X-Men: Evolution > Revolution

Chapter 15

by Mikari 0 reviews

Chapter 15: Sky Lights

Category: X-Men: Evolution - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Gambit,Nightcrawler,Rogue,Shadowcat,Wolverine - Published: 2012-07-17 - Updated: 2012-07-17 - 2190 words - Complete

0Unrated
Revolution

Chapter 15: Sky Lights

"It looks like Mr. Logan is leading them away," Kitty concluded. Surely, Wolverine must have noticed their scent in that direction, as his powers didn't seem to be affected by whatever was interfering with the others. "Let's wait a little longer before we go back down there."

Kurt gave her a look of disbelief. "We just got out and you want to go back in there? Shouldn't we be calling for reinforcements?" He took out his communicator as he suggested the idea. Unfortunately, there was nothing but static to be sent or received. "Something's jamming the signal."

"Okay, I think it's been like long enough..." Kitty started down the tunnel again. "C'mon, we need to find Rogue, Remy and the device, then meet up with Mr. Logan."

Kurt followed Kitty down the tunnel with disbelief mixed with fascination. She wouldn't stop at reuniting with the others; she wanted to do something about what was interfering with their powers too. Albeit finding it would be hard if they didn't know what the device looked like or even its range. It's not like they had been testing their powers every few steps when they were on their way. Plus actually destroying such a thing might be difficult without their powers. Actually, if another group ambushed them, surviving might be more difficult.

It looked like most of the forces were concentrating on chasing Wolverine, thus Kitty and Kurt didn't run into anyone. However, they didn't really know where they were going either. Coincidentally, they ended up in the same chamber from before, in the middle of which there was the missile. "This isn't what we were looking for, but we might as well get rid of it too." Kitty approached it, if only she had her powers, she could easily reach beyond the metal covers and rip off the cables and finer circuitry from inside.

"Careful not to set it off," Kurt warned when he saw Kitty go for the control panel on the missile's side.

Kitty froze as doubt invaded her mind. "Maybe we should let Mr. Logan like check this out and make sure it won't explode before we try to do anything with it." She stepped back from the missile. "Where could Rogue and Remy be?" She looked around the chamber not really expecting to find anything, but something caught her eye above. "What's that?"

Kurt looked up. There was a strange device sticking out from the icy ceiling of the chamber. They couldn't see it when they first arrived, so they reasoned the recent earthquake must have loosened the snow and ice around it enough to uncover it. "That," Kurt mused, " is very suspicious."

"Do you think that's the machine affecting our powers?" Kitty theorized hopefully.

"Could be," Kurt also hoped that it was. It would certainly make things a lot easier if they could get that thing out of the way. With great agility, Kurt climbed on to one of the metal beams that formed a cage around the chamber. He held on to another beam that went across the cavern's ceiling and approached the strange machine. He looked down at Kitty, "step back."

Kitty moved out of the way from under Kurt in case more ice rocks or the whole machine fell. She watched from a safe position as Kurt dug around the machine with bits of ice and snow falling. Finally, he could see some kind of screen with numbers, most likely something that was operated by remote control. He checked further until he was able to move a panel next to it and uncovered a small control board. He didn't know what each number stood for, but his first guess was to set them to zero. He messed with the controls until he managed to do so and tried to teleport, but nothing happened. He kept poking at the controls until the machine shut down and still nothing happened. Finally he climbed down. "It's off now, but I still can't teleport."

Kitty touched the solid wall next to her. "My abilities aren't working either. I guess maybe that machine wasn't what's blocking our powers, but what is it then?"

"No idea," Kurt shrugged. "Maybe it's a shield of sorts, like a cloaking device or something." The machine Kurt deactivated had been a shield alright, but not a cloaking device. Unknown to Kitty and Kurt, it served a very important purpose and they had done exactly what they had been entrapped into doing. Somewhere far away a countdown began...

Footsteps were heard as someone approached from another tunnel. Kitty and Kurt hurried to hide and hold the element of surprise in their favor in case they had to fight. However, the one that had entered the icy cavern was Logan. "You two can come out of there now," he greeted, as he had been following their scents. Kitty and Kurt came out of hiding glad to see Logan was alright. "For non-mutants they put up a fight, but it's nothing I couldn't handle. I did pick up an interesting piece of information," he revealed. "It sounded like some of them were pretty angry at Magneto and others mentioned Mystique. I tried to get more out of them, but they refused to cooperate saying mutants were the cause of this and only non-mutants," or 'real humans' as the man had said, "could solve this."

"This?" Kurt and Kitty asked in unison.

Wolverine shook his head. "There's some kind of trouble going on. There's something dangerous out there that they don't want to talk about. Magneto and Mystique must know something. If I had to take a guess, I would think that they're competing to obtain whatever is at the center of all this."

"Does that mean that..." Nightcrawler shifted uncomfortably. He was suddenly shy and unsure, almost embarrassed to ask. "Could she be..."

"Mystique? Alive?" Logan finished for him with a huff. "I always thought it was suspicious that the pieces of stone vanished. Maybe she is alive; it wouldn't make much sense for them to give so much thought and anger to a dead woman." Kurt held a small smile, though he quickly suppressed it. His mother was alive, but she was up to no good. Wolverine looked at the missile, deciding not to further speak of the subject for the time being. They could discuss things in detail when he knew everyone was safe.

Before he could follow the scent of Remy and Rogue to their location, Logan had something to take care of. He extended his claws and sliced through the missile's cover and circuitry until it was in pieces. Kurt and Kitty gasped in open mouthed shock. So much for letting Logan check out the missile to make sure it didn't blow up! Well at least it had not exploded and it had been successfully destroyed... "Let's hurry and regroup," Wolverine led the way.

xoxox xox xoxox

Meanwhile, Remy and Rogue were still hiding in the storage room. Remy knew it would be difficult to fight and protect the unconscious Rogue at the same time, it was too risky. But waiting there for someone, preferably someone from the X-Men, to find them was getting on his nerves. Should he risk going out of hiding and hope he could lead Rogue to safety before the enemy finds him? Should he stay and wait longer? How were the others doing? He sat on the floor with Rogue on his lap.

"I'm really getting impatient, cherie..." Her head rested on his shoulder and with a slight shift of his weight to get more comfortable, her head slipped slightly, her forehead brushing his chin. Then he felt it, there was that slightly stinging sensation that came before his energy was drained, but only slightly as the contact had been brief. "Your power is back?" Perhaps his power was back too, but he didn't want to test it in such close quarters. First things first, he kissed Rogue and allowed her to absorb his energy onto herself. He was exhausted afterward, but it looked like it worked.

Rogue slowly opened her eyes and tried to make sense of her surroundings. The last thing she remembered she had been fighting, but her powers wouldn't respond, then there was pain. She saw herself falling, she saw a dark tunnel, then she realized that those images weren't hers. She had been unconscious and Remy had seen those things. He gave her his energy hoping that the jolt of vitality would help her recover enough to regain consciousness. "Remy..." She looked at him and he grinned. "Thanks," she blushed slightly.

"You're welcome, cherie," he was exhausted, but relieved. Now they just had to regroup with the others and get out of there.

The sound of footsteps set them on the alert, but they relaxed when they saw who it was. Finally, Rogue and Remy had been reunited with Kurt, Kitty and Logan. The five set out to make their way out of the area. "We'll move the X-Jet close and I'll have another look around to collect clues. Maybe I'll find some files or something to take back to show Charles." Where there was technology and engineering, there were computers. There might be important clues to be found if he could find them and collect their hard drives to be studied in detail at the institute.

xoxox xox xoxox

The five X-Men made it back to the X-Jet, where Logan insisted that Rogue took the rest of the mission off even if they were all curious about what was going on and all too willing to accompany Wolverine in his next expedition. Seeing that Remy looked like most of his energy had been zapped out of him, Logan connected the dots and concluded he had given that energy to Rogue. "You're staying too," he ordered. Before Kitty and Kurt could protest, Logan silenced them with a firm, "guard the X-Jet."

The humans down at the tunnels were not dangerous for someone as strong as Wolverine. Though some were armed, they could hardly aim in the darkness anyway. Logan was pretty sure he had knocked out most of the people there and if a few were left, he could handle them. Yet he didn't want to risk there being another device that could block mutant powers down there. Peculiarly, the timing in which their powers were restored was aligned with the destruction of the missile.

The X-Jet took off towards the area in the snowy fields where the entrance to the hideout had been found. But before the flying vessel could get close, a golden light as bright as the sun in the middle of a summer day made them close their eyes and shield their faces. The beam of light struck the ground, leaving nothing but water where there had been ice and snow. Steam rose from the area and the X-Jet's alarms went off full force, warning the crew that the vessel was rapidly over heating. Logan turned around as fast as he could and put some distance between the disaster zone and the X-Jet.

The engines protested, but Logan knew he couldn't land. The snow was shifting, the mountains were covered in avalanches and the whole area was a mess. If they landed now, they would be swallowed by the snow, but it was too hot and one of the engines caught on fire. The X-Men felt hazy, they held on to their seats as they struggled to shed their coats before they suffocated and passed out from the heat, without being tossed around the jet. The other engine caught on fire as the vessel continued to demand an emergency landing that Wolverine knew would be suicide to attempt. They had to get as far as possible from the land that had been so oddly and extremely disturbed by the inexplicable light from the sky.

"I'm taking us down as close to the ground as possible!" Logan yelled over the commotion of the multiple alarms going off on the X-Jet. He knew that trying to teleport from such a great height was dangerous because of the accumulated momentum, but Kurt's teleportation was their only choice now. "Then you'll teleport us to the ground and forward again as fast as you can go without spilling anyone's brain out."

Everyone gathered around Kurt, who teleported with Wolverine's signal. The X-Men were saved at the last second from the force of the crash. The continuous teleportation eventually got them to semi solid ground, where the group could finally take a breath, but then it was cold in that area and they knew they would soon miss their coats. They were dizzy from the continuous teleportation and it was obvious that they shared a collective headache, but at that moment, they were just thankful to be alive.

To be Continued

About the teleportation, I remember Kurt explaining something like that in an episode. I enjoy reading people's theories about what's going on in the story. What are your theories about this chapter? I will tell you this, it's not aliens.
Sign up to rate and review this story