Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Fury's Initiative

Chapter 3: Drop and Give Me Twenty

by ZombieSlayer13x 3 reviews

“I know what I’m dealing with when it comes to you kids. You are all special, but if any of you tries anything with me, you will all regret the day you were born.”

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2012-07-25 - Updated: 2016-07-22 - 2708 words

2Exciting
A/N: Hello! If you're still following this story, I'm sorry it took so long for an update. I'm a huge procrastinator :( Thank you for all the reviews!! I hope I will get a few more lol

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

07:30

Level 2, Commissary


Cadel, Matthew, Alex, Kendall, and Ethan all sat together at a table towards the back of the mess hall, away from everyone else. They were still a bit wary of each other, but they enjoyed having the company.

The makeshift team sat together in silence. They poked at their food, not particularly hungry but trying to eat nonetheless. Fury had said that this training would be the hardest they had ever been through, and they didn't know when their next meal would be.

As Kendall looked around the commissary, scanning and memorizing all the unfamiliar faces, she spotted the Avengers walking in. She gently nudged Matthew, who alerted the others. They stared. As much as they hated to admit it, deep down they really admired the team. The Avengers were brave, loyal, fearless, and always seemed to know what they were doing. The younger team doubted any of them would be taking down an army of Chitauri anytime soon.

The Avengers were lucky enough to be able to wear civilian clothes. They looked relaxed and comfortable, unlike the younger team who were sporting the uncomfortable gray training uniforms. They felt as if they were about to burst out of the ill-fitting second skin at any given moment.

As Natasha looked around the dining hall, she spotted them staring and spared them a quick nod of the head. The collection of youngsters nodded solemnly back at her.

After a few more minutes of attempting to eat in silence, Matthew stood up and threw his food away. "We should get moving. The last thing I want to do is be late."

"Yeah…" Cadel agreed reluctantly. The five deposited their trays and headed out. They had less than ten minutes to make it to the training area.

Cadel stopped at the doors leading from the commissary. "Where were we supposed to meet the trainer again?"

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

07:59

Level 2, Gym


The team made it to the gym with exactly one minute to spare. Their trainer, who was waiting for them when they arrived, was an aging man, probably in his mid-forties with graying hair. His eyes were hard but held a flicker of mischief. He was of average height, very muscular, and bore an intimidating demeanor. A woman stood next to him. She was fairly tall, with dark brown hair pulled back into a tight bun. She had bangs straight across her forehead and analyzing eyes. She wore a standard navy blue S.H.I.E.L.D. uniform and held a clipboard.

"Well, wasn't that close?" The man said with a smile.

"No kidding," Cadel said, slightly out of breath from running.

The trainer's gaze hardened. "No sass here. Every comment I hear, the longer you train. Trust me, you don't want that." Cadel straightened up as he continued. "Now, let me lay down the rules. You are to only address me as Sir. Anything else and you will be doing pushups until your arms give out." he said. Nothing in his voice suggested he was joking. "I know what I'm dealing with when it comes to you kids. You are special, but if any of you tries anything with me, you will all regret the day you were born."

The team cringed.

He continued. "You will be here every morning at 0800, not a minute late or else you'll be scrubbing the bathrooms in your free time with a toothbrush. Your own toothbrush," he added with a sneer. "Do I make myself clear?"

The team nodded.

"Good," he said curtly. "Ms. Hill here," he motioned to the woman, "will be monitoring you and keeping track of your results." The team nodded once more, not knowing exactly how to react. "Now, we start with your warm-ups." He gave them a smile that left them quaking in their boots.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

10:14

Level 2, Gym


Ten minutes of stretching, 50 pushups, 100 sit-ups, 200 jumping jacks, and a five mile run later, the team was sprawled out on the floor. They were sweating buckets and exhausted, both mentally and physically. Most of them could barely stand.

"I really hate exercise…" Kendall muttered under her breath.

"Did you just say you want to drop and give me twenty more?" The trainer barked at her.

"No sir," Kendall replied back. The response was almost automatic- she just wanted this torture to end.

"Good, that was just a warm-up." The team groaned. "You will always start your training with this routine. Over time we can only hope you'll get better and faster. Now," he said while walking towards the other side of the gym, "we get to our last event of the day." The team hoisted themselves and each other off the ground and shuffled towards their trainer and Maria Hill. None of them wanted to do anything more than go back to their beds and sleep for a week. The trainer stopped in front of a two story obstacle course. The kids almost collapsed into tears.

"When each of you completes this you will be dismissed for the day. You should be just in time for lunch, if you're lucky. When you're done you are to meet Director Fury back here for round two." The man smiled devilishly. "Good luck."

He sent them one at a time. They went in in order of who had finished the full warm up fastest. Maria had documented their scores. Ethan was up first. His street life had prepared him for the 5k run, so he had finished first. Kendall was second. She had finished the initial warm up before everyone else, but only came in third for the run. Cadel went third. He had finished with an average time on the strength exercises and second on the run. Alex went fourth. She had been pretty speedy with the jumping jacks and sit ups, but the pushups slowed her down a lot. On the run she came in tied for third with Kendall. Matthew was last. He didn't care. He was definitely more brainy than brawny, and was at peace with the fact that he held no athletic skills whatsoever.

The obstacle course consisted of three separate parts. The first was the classic crawl under barbed wire (for safety purposes, the barbed wire had been replaced with regular wire). There were exactly twenty inches between the gym floor and the wire, which went on for fifteen feet. To encourage them, the trainer told the kids he would make them do twenty pushups every time someone hit the wire. When they had finished with the wire, they were to clamber through a small set of monkey bars. He would add fifty jumping jacks for every person that fell off of them.

The second part was a rock wall. It was exactly thirty feet tall and fifteen feet wide. When a team member finally reached the top, they found themselves on a small platform. They had to take off their rock climbing harness and toss it down to the next person. They then proceeded to put on another harness in order to rappel down the wall on the opposite side.

There they found the third and final exercise of the day. It was deceptively easy. By this point the person taking the course would be exhausted, their muscles would be screaming and their legs about to give. The last obstacle was a ladder. However, this was no ordinary ladder, it was twenty-five feet high and looked fit for a giant. It was ten feet wide and the rungs were placed exactly two feet apart. Once you got to the top you had to climb over and go back down. After that you were finished.

The trainer made each recruit repeat a section if they failed it.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

12:43

Level 2, Gym


Like the trainer said, the team just barely made it through the course in time for lunch. Once they completed the last part, they had to do an extra fifty jumping jacks and forty pushups. They ended up with seventeen minutes left to take a quick shower.

Nobody wanted to get up off the floor where they had happily made camp after finishing their exercises, but after a few minutes Kendall, Alex, and Matthew decided to go and shower quickly before lunch. Cadel and Ethan sucked it up and headed to lunch. Why bother when they were just going to go at it again later that day?

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

13:08

Level 2, Commissary


Once again the team found themselves in the back of the mess hall.

Alone.

They had received a few sympathetic looks from higher ranking agents, but nothing more. There was no chatter at the team's table. They were all busy either nursing their sore muscles or devouring their food.

"Well," Kendall said, breaking the silence that had settled upon them while they were eating, "that was brutal."

"Brutal doesn't even begin to cover it," Alex said as she sat back down, fresh water bottle in hand.

"I will never take my musculatory system for granted again," Matthew said as he adjusted his glasses. He had struggled to keep them on and in one piece throughout the whole ordeal. "The first thing I'm going to do when I get back to my room tonight is investing in contacts." He received a few half-hearted laughs.

"I can't believe we have to put up with that drill sergeant for the next month," Ethan said with a groan.

"Maybe your attitude will improve by then," Kendall added with a snicker. Ethan shot her a glare in reply.

"Please, just nobody get on that man's bad side. I don't want to do more manual labor than I need to," Cadel said. He started rambling on about self-preservation and common sense until Alex put a hand up to stop him. They savored their last few moments of nonmoving bliss, and then dragged themselves back to the gym to meet with Director Fury.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

13:48

Level 2, Gym


The team sat on some benches towards the side of the gym while they waited for Fury. They didn't have to wait long. He and Agent Kelson entered the room as the doors opened with a swish. They both had smiles on their faces.

"I see you all survived basic training," Fury said with a grin. "It'll only get worse from here, I promise. Now, the next part of your training should be the easy part. You will all be tested on your weapons and hand to hand combat skills. Afterwards you will go one-on-one with an Avenger to test your abilities. They will note where you need practice and improvement." The kids nodded, most excited to finally work with the Avengers.

"If you will follow me, we'll start part one." They team was led to a target range on the upper deck of the gym. There were ten targets lined up. In front of the first five targets were Glock 19 handguns. In front of the next five targets were bows with three arrows each. Upon closer inspection, some of the adolescents noticed that the bows were the same model as Hawkeye's. They were black Hoyt Buffalo bows.

"You will fire five rounds from the gun and use all your arrows. Try to get as close to the bullseye as you possibly can. After that you will go and wait by the mats downstairs," Fury gestured towards the area, "and then we will begin the hand to hand combat practice. Now, if you will all claim a target in a nice, orderly fashion."

The kids eagerly walked up to a target of their choice. They were all itching to get their hands on the weapons. Kendall was up first with Ethan next to her. Alex was third with Cadel and Matthew further down the line.

Kendall put on safety goggles and earmuffs and picked up the Glock. Taking the safety off the gun, she took aim and shot off five rounds into the target, hitting the bullseye each time. Pleased with herself, she moved on to the bow and arrow. As she waited, Ethan got ready to shoot.

He also had no problem with the firearm. Three of his five shots hit the bullseye. Alex was up next. She already had her protective gear on. She fired the weapon with ease, but only two of her rounds made the bullseye. Cadel made four of his five shots. A few of the bullets mysteriously hit the bullseye when they seemed to be going in another direction, but the Director brushed it off.

Matthew was up last. He felt very uncomfortable with weapons, but tried anyways. One of his shots made the bullseye by a fraction of a centimeter. The rest were wide. He was a bit frustrated with his results, but accepted his lack of experience with grace.

As Agent Kelson, the Director, and the team moved down to the archery section, Kendall geared up. She put on gloves and arm guards, grabbed an arrow and nocked it, then took her stance and drew back. It looked a bit sloppy and awkward, but she shot anyway. Kendall hit the bullseye once. The other two shots were wide. She sighed and put the bow down, then proceeded to walk downstairs.

Ethan was next. He had no experience with a bow and arrow, but tried anyway. He was fairly good considering his lack of training, but didn't make the bullseye. Alex was up next and very eager. The only weapon she really had experience with was the bow and arrow. She put on her gear and set her stance straight. All three of her arrows hit the bullseye and made a neat triangle in the center. After the demonstration she walked off happily to join the others.

Cadel wasn't half bad. One of his arrows made it completely in the center, another went wide, and the last landed right on the border of the bullseye. Matthew didn't really want to try, but he did anyway. His shots were fairly close to the bullseye, but didn't make it.

Once Matthew finished, he, Director Fury, and Agent Kelson went back downstairs to the rest of the group. They were all standing awkwardly around one side of a slightly springy blue mat. A group of teens a bit older than themselves lined the other wall.

"Now, you will step up one at a time and fight one of them," Fury said as he gestured to the group against the wall. "You can surrender any time you want. They are trainees just like yourselves, only more advanced." The team lined up to face off with the older teens. A few offered encouraging smiles. The rest just offered glares.

"So, who wants to go first?" Agent Kelson asked, smiling brightly.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

14:56


The team handled the hand to hand combat well. It only took around twenty minutes to get through the five of them. Kendall was eager as ever to go first, faced with a lanky girl who was probably no older than herself. She beat the other girl in minutes. Ethan had the same luck. He faced a boy of average build. Ethan's form and strategies from street fighting were inelegant, but brutally effective. Cadel was beaten, but left his opponent with bruises that would last for a while.

Matthew told the Director that he had no experience whatsoever with hand to hand combat and asked if he could be exempt from the exercise. He didn't want to enter a fight he knew he wouldn't win. Fury was a little annoyed, but complied respectively. Alex went last and was also beaten, but she fought well. She preferred to play defensively instead of offensively, occasionally getting a jab or two in.

Afterwards the team headed down another mysterious hallway, dreading what lay ahead.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

A/N: Sorry for ending it here! I have more to write definitely, but it's going to be pretty long. I didn't really want to keep going and have like, a mega chapter.

Thanks for the reviews! I hope you keep on reading lol :D
Sign up to rate and review this story