Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > I Never Told You What I Do For A Living

You Can Say A Prayer If You Need To

by KilljoyOnFire 2 reviews

Mikey's gonna be grounded for awhile...

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Mikey Way - Published: 2012-07-27 - Updated: 2012-07-28 - 715 words

0Unrated
Chapter 3

Donna’s POV

April 3rd, 2012

11:13 A.M

“I want it to be a bit shorter than last time…” Lauren, one of my regular customers, tells me. She gestures to her wet hair that falls just below her shoulders.

“Alright!” I say just as my cell phone begins to ring. I silence it and place it back in my pocket. Customers first.

I pick up a pair of scissors and begin to snip away at Lauren’s hair. “So, Adam’s in his senior year, isn’t he?”

“Yes, and he’s on the honor roll. He’s been accepted into Carnegie Mellon!” Lauren beams.

“Oh, that’s amazing! What does he want to major in?” I ask.

Just then, the receptionist pokes her head around the door. “Um, Donna? The Belleview Police Department is on line 2. They want to talk to you.”

I freeze. Lauren stares at me in the mirror. “I-Is it urgent? B-Because I’m kind of busy.” I stammer. I feel like a kid being called to the principal’s office.

“They say it’s important.”

I slowly set down the scissors. “Alright. Thank you, Hannah.”

The walk of shame to the phone is mortifying. I can feel Hannah and Lauren’s eyes boring into my skull. I pick up the phone hesitantly.

“H-Hello?”

“Is this Donna Way?” a gruff voice asks.

“Speaking.” I reply.

“Please come down to the station. Your son is in custody.”

I open and close my mouth like a fish out of water. My son? Which son? Before I can ask, he hangs up. Hannah is still staring at me. I quickly regain my composure. “I’ll be back.” I say briskly, striding out the door. I fish my keys out of my pocket and climb into my car.

The ride to the police department feels like a million years. And it’s not just because I hit every red light. I drive a little faster than usual, due to nerves. Who’s in custody? It’s probably Gerard. Michael would never break a law. Well… neither would Gerard. But he is the more reckless of the two boys. Last year, he and his friends got a lecture from a police officer for burning their old school assignments in a public park.

Neither of them are in trouble. There’s a lot of scummy teenagers in this town, surely it’s a mistake. Some bastard framed my little angels. I plaster a smile on my face as I walk into the station. Several police officers are in the lobby, talking to each other in hushed voices. They all fall silent when they see me. My smile falls.

“H-Hello.” I say nervously to the nearest officer.

“Donna Way?” he asks.

They know me? “Yes.” I tell him.

“Come this way, please.”

I follow him down a series of hallways and into a dimly lit room. Metal bars line each wall.

“Mom.” a little boy says in a voice that chills me to the bone. The voice sounds so broken, so terrified…

I turn to the sound of the voice. It’s not a little boy. It’s my little boy.

Michael.

He’s sitting in the corner of a holding cell, hunched over and hugging his knees. His face is pale and looks too small for his glasses. I suddenly recall a memory from when Gerard and Michael were much younger. They were playing outside in one of those little inflatable pools. A large wasp had flown too close to Michael for comfort, and he had clung to me for a half hour afterwards. Ice cream had eventually calmed him down. Ever since, he grows pale at the sight of bees.

“Mikes?” I ask stupidly. I know it’s him, but I can’t believe it. My little boy looks so out of place in that cold cell. I reach forward and wrap my fingers around the scratched bars.

“Mom.” Michael repeats. He begins to shake. “Mommy.”

The officer pulls me aside. He begins to speak, and my entire universe is twisted and shattered.

Then, for the first time in a long time, I sink to my knees and begin to cry.

--

Donna Way is Gerard and Mikey's mother. Just in case you didn't know. :P
Sign up to rate and review this story