Categories > Games > Zelda > Childhood Ashes

Stew and Milk

by Sylvara 0 reviews

Warning: Underage drinking.

Category: Zelda - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Romance,Sci-fi - Characters: Link,Zelda - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2012-08-27 - Updated: 2012-09-02 - 1617 words - Complete

0Unrated
The day slowly rises, warming colors and smells beneath the old trees. Soon, their quick footsteps crushing dried leaves is the only sound disrupting the Lost Woods' silent atmosphere.

They still don't find the portal after walking for about three miles, and she can feel his frustration as they leave the deepest part of the forest. He is very reluctant to give up. Probably only agrees to avoid having her turn into a Stalfos, she muses.

It's a shame that she cannot study the portal. She does not doubt his words, of course, but still, it would have been interesting to approach the frontier of another dimension... She only has a vague knowledge of time magic, but she is curious and confident enough. She will try to open her own sort of portal for him to cross back. It will be a good occasion to test her skills, she thinks.

No matter what, he has to go back. It's not a matter of what she wants; it is not a matter of feelings anymore. She has learned the hard way that the currents of time are no playground for mortals. Over the past three years, she has learned many other things, too, but she is not sure of the extend of the consequences of having him trapped in another era...

"Princess?"

When his voice interrupts her thoughts, she is glad for the diversion - she does not need the anticipation of loneliness to somber their time together.

"Are the people still at Kakariko?" He turns toward her as they are about to reach her shack again. "Are you still..."

"A Princess?" she offers without answering. "Let us have a day. Let me show you the kingdom you have fought for, my friend."

There are fewer monsters in the field as they near inhabited areas, and they are quick to reach the gates of Castle Town. "The Gorons have come to help us rebuild. They are a valuable asset for us here," she says, without a word about the Re-deeds who used to roam the borough. He does not need any more regrets to weigh down his mind.

"Impa has been the one to present me as royal heiress." It would shame the people and the Goddesses for their land to remain without an official ruler, the Sheikah had said. But who is to stop Yule's Queen from wandering the countryside? "Hyrule is a small kingdom of few noble houses; even fewer that survived the tyrant's fist," she explains in the middle of the building site where Gorons and Hylians move girders, passing nails and tools around.

They finally reach the old gardens. The air is hot and heavy with sulfur, the landscape a scorched mess around the island of the ruined fortress. When he bends over the lava pit, she grasps his small shoulders to steady him before she thinks. Shock, incredulity and confusion show on his face when he turns around. She realizes her mistake -blushes- and removes her hands. "I... Sorry."

For a few seconds, they watch the steaming lava many yards down. "We are throwing everything down. It will take months at least to fill up the pit... The view is hurting the people's spirit."

The atmosphere still makes him wary, and he can only look around in trepidation before slowly nodding. He feels like making as much distance as he can from the sight.

.

They are crossing the plains again, heading for Kakariko this time.

The habit of walking great distances in a hostile environment did not only sharpen her senses but made her steps swifter, and a few times, she wonders if she is too quick. But as soon as she slows down, he sweeps past before stopping a few feet ahead of her, perplexed. To imagine he has kept that pace since they left her shack, she cannot help but admire his endurance because such tiny legs and not even a sweat?

It's not long before they spot and join Malon on the road. She alleviate one of the huge baskets from the girl's weary arms -faint aroma of fresh milk and warm cakes- and slow down to get used to the weight.
"But who is he?" The redhead asks after a few words with the new Queen. Her and Zelda's paths have crossed more often than not since the land had been freed. The roads are never sufficiently secure to carry milk and eggs...

Link stays silent - and that is another thing she notices: he does not speak to anyone unless urged. The crushing responsibilities of the Triforce are absent from the people's eyes. Perhaps the Hero resigned himself to the same conclusion as her; that being understood was a lost cause.

He, at least, can afford to stop pretending: today there is no smile on his face; not even for the ranch girl he had spoken of so lengthily and fondly to Sheik... and, well, that thread of thoughts will not get her anywhere now.

"The son of Link," she offers to the other woman. "The knight who gave his life to kill the tyrant was his father." From his look, she can tell he is considering her answer. She heaves a breath when he seems content with it. - She heaves another, quicker, when the other does not ask about Link's age.

"Poor thing," the redhead murmurs. "There are so many orphans..." Before he knows it, he has a hug, a piece of cake and a knife in his hands. He hears her thank the Queen and by the time he blinks, the busy ranch girl is already far ahead of them with her two baskets. He notices how the knife looks better fit to kill than to cook with and looks up, perplexed.

"Deku sticks don't offer any help to stray children in our times. Fighting knifes have become a trend," Zelda explains and he nods, deadly serious.
"I needed a story," she adds. "The Hero they know has died for them." And her eyes slide over to his face before slipping away. "I deeply regret... that the people will not know their champion. They have much admiration for your deeds. They would have loved to be able to express it."

"Don't worry, Zed- my Queen. I trust you to make the wise decisions."

She frowns, unsure if she is being mocked, but he quickly adds, "Even if I don't agree or don't understand all of these decisions." (She perfectly reads the euphemism in his eyes this time.) "Still, I believe in your Triforce."

She weighs the murmur of his words.
Is it not strange, if one thinks about it? Ironic, actually. How can he sound even older now that he lives in a child's body? Had this land called Termina done that to him? ... Had she?
She is not sure she would like the answer, but she cannot deny that this contrast of maturity in him might be somewhat appealing.

Short on words, she feels her face warm up, gropes for an answer... any now - and is glad to realize they are about to pass through Kakariko's entrance.

"Son of Link," she murmurs with shining eyes, "Be my guest of honor, today." He can only blink before she climbs up the remaining stairs, ready to call for the people of the village.
He has to hurry and tug on her dress to present her a polite smile and a shake of his head. He knows enough to tell she is disappointed, even if she can tame her expressions with Sheikah discipline.

They enter without word and while she shows him around the busy village, some people bow low when she salutes them. None ask about the boy at her side.
Eventually, the aroma of a hearty beef stew reach his senses, and his mouth waters after a month of eating half-cooked meat, mushrooms and berries. Just as they reach the largest house where the aroma is strongest, a thin, angular man trots toward her. He curtly nods to the Queen before clearing his throat.

"Your kindness befits Your Majesty. But you don't have to take care of all the stray children yourself. This one will do fine in the village by himself now, my Queen."

"This one," she says aloud for passersby to hear, "is the son of the man to whom we all own our freedom today. His father was among my dearest friends, and he will spend the day with me."

The man shrugs and strides back to sit at the well's edge, as Link now hears whispers of his name slowly crawling over the people's lips across the streets. While Zelda seems used to such publicity , he feels crowded and edgy from the huge amount of attention.

They are finally able to enter the large house, where they are quickly seated closest to the fireplace. Stretching a little on his stool, he sees Malon seated a few chairs away, happily chatting with the apothecary.
In the next minutes, he has to restrain himself not to eat too quickly until the Queen draws milk close to his reach. She is barely surprised that no one seems to care when the boy gulps down a huge goblet of "Cuvee Talon" without pause.
Her brows raise - then crease - when he fills himself a second...but he flashes her a knowing smile and flips their knife in three loops from one hand to another, without breaking their gaze. When he sets it down, her worries follow as well.
She drinks little and mostly out of politeness, really, yet she stifle a chuckle because of the thin milk mustache on his lip.
Sign up to rate and review this story