Categories > Games > Zelda > Childhood Ashes

Touches

by Sylvara 0 reviews

Category: Zelda - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Romance,Sci-fi - Characters: Link,Zelda - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2012-08-27 - Updated: 2013-03-31 - 1936 words - Complete

0Unrated
They settle on the roof, close to the mill. At their feet, the village is buzzing with the men's voices and tools, very slowly growing into a real town under their eyes.

"Commerce is very active," the Queen says in a distant voice. "But the prices have deflated a lot, and traders think exchanging with other countries again will help it. It would not be a good idea to let outsiders know about our situation, though. Some of our neighbors are ambitious, and what is left of Hyrule would not even see the danger coming." After a moment, she blinks and chuckles. "I don't know why I'm told you that. It cannot be of your concern anyway." Her lips tremble a little and she bit her lower, feeling foolish for speaking so much. But what are private affairs in a kingdom without a court, an army or anything but an unsteady crown?

"Can you govern if you are totally alone? Could it not be time to drop useless customs?" he probes to her surprise as they make their way down to head for the fields.

"Customs are a luxury we've long stopped affording," she says, gesturing to show her garb. "We only aim to survive and stay free for now." She contemplates the situation for a while before adding, "The people seem happy. Hopeful."

"But you are not?"

She looks up to his face, her eyes glazing over her thoughts. "It is..." She hesitates and smiles. "It is untrue. I am, but I also want to be prudent."

He nods, apparently oblivious to her lie. The boy...man takes on responsibilities bigger than himself without sparing them a thought. If she tell him even half of her management problems, he will probably refuse to go. Staying vague is the best she can do if she wants his mind at peace.
At that point, not even the discretion with which he voiced his answer would surprise her if he had not drunk a...respectable amount of milk but an hour ago. She cannot help but wonder where his body is stocking all of it.

.

"Link." When she stops, he turns back in surprise. "Will you find your way in the forest after..." she trail off, "After the milk?"

It takes him a couple seconds to register her concern before he has to restrain himself from laughing. "I could fight an Octorok right now, my Queen," he assures her with a bright smile. "Don't worry..."

Before she can answer, the earth begins to tremble behind them with laughter. They turn toward the source of the clattering and find one of the Hylian builders, who sat on a stone with tears in his eyes.

When he can speak again, he slowly gets up and bows before her, still chucking. "Sorry, my Queen," he giggles, "Sorry! It is silly – huhu – but it's this kid! He is pretty, no?" The man puts his hand on his knees and grins down at him. "You are strong enough to kill Octoroks, kid, right? Huhuheehee! Are you going to blow some Dodongo and protect the Queen too? Bwahahaha!"

They can only look and blink in silence. Link closes his fists and his cheeks are slightly reddening when the Queen applies a hand against his back and politely ushers them out of the village.

They had been walking toward Zora's River for a while now, but she still will not look at him for some reason. He wonders if she worries about the man's words, about the reputation of a Queen who confides in a kid...reputation matters a lot to Hylian people. Just as having a fairy in the Kokiri's glade, he muses.

.

Bitterness still fills her mouth by the time they climb the large mounds by the riverside.

She feels too mortified by her people's ignorance to look him in the eyes yet, so she gathers some water, refreshes her face, and give him time to climb. His short height gives him trouble with the tallest mounds, and she does not think he would be overjoyed if he knew she noticed.

Maybe, she muses, maybe the wrong thing had been to try to protect him. The world he had freed had been his as much as hers, and it may have been quite pretentious of her to sell a Triforce-bearer so short...

As they lie on the grass of the Zora River bank, she tries to summon faith. She cannot exactly change history, but right now, right here, their story can be different.

"How do you eat?" she asks, knowing perfectly that her questions cannot change anything. "Do you have a reliable shelter?"

"I can take care of myself just fine, my Queen."

"Of course, Hero of Time," she says, whispering his title in a humbled tone. But he is obviously hiding things from her, and she cannot help but ask. "Are you still living with the Kokiri?"

"I went back, but it felt like lying about who I am. Children without a fairy have no place there."

She had not realized his discreet but ever-present companion was no longer with him until he removed his hat to scratch his neck. From the little she has learnt about the forest children, she can only guess at how he might have felt about his loss. She does not need to ask; weariness and hurt are written in his body language.

"Where do you live, then?" she whispers to break her thoughts.

His face is blank for a second, and then he gives a huge wondrous grin. "Anywhere I want, my Queen."

She is too fascinated by the strength of his effort to spare her guilt to dare argue. After examining him a few seconds, she nods.
" 'My Queen'... Is that all I am to you, Hero? Have you forgotten my name?"

She didn't expect the smile he answers her with, nor the effect it has on her pounding heart. How can a child have such a gaze? The contradiction of his appearance and what lies beneath his eyes is a deep, tragic paradox; an unforgivable error. Still, it does not prevent her from loving - loving? ...loving. - him for it.

She has never felt physical attraction to him - or to any Hylian, in fact. Yet, her heart is no match for the balance of his courage and vulnerability; of his honesty and fierce nature. When he exited the first temple, the first thing she realized was being desperately in love with his spirit.
She remembers the Hero as a charade; his body but a tool, a lie fit for his quest, and she had become accustomed to guarding herself from the illusion. In this form, through, the cold tempest swirling in his blue eyes shows that his body is just a mask. Yet, he seems more real, authentic, and she feels at ease with him, with his touch.

His eyes tell her tales of a man- of a person she still does not know. It stokes her desire to know him better, to get closer to him in a different way.
Curiosity gets the best of her.

Focusing on his hand against her, she closes her eyes. The ability is hollow compared to what was once her family's heritage, but she remembers more than enough to find her way through the fogs of his thoughts. She cannot decipher their meaning, but the emotions are enough. Knowing that there is no worse intrusion than connecting one's aura without the person's knowledge nor a solid reason, she goes no farther than the edge of his mind. There she simply nudges at his consciousness, sending familiar stimuli that she hopes will tell him her identity.

She is ready to repeat the mental command when he takes a slow breath, apparently still unaware of what is happening.
Her consciousness slides deeper than intended, stumbling into the center of his aura, the heart of the storming emotions raging against each other. Some of them drape over her, press and overwhelm her mind so violently that she needs all of her discipline not to strongly yank back - an action likely to leave lasting damage.
He definitely has no clue.

She tries to send comforting, peaceful feedback to the emotions groping for answers, but she already knows she would not be able to stall longer before being impaired herself.

She slowly, but firmly, pulls away from his subconscious, slightly breathless and pulse ragged.

He is insensible to telepathy. Of course, Sheik remembers. How could she even forget?
A couple of hours ago, she would even have considered teaching him... But she gets a hold of herself at long last. There is an important decision for her to express first.

Her hand leaves his, spreading against the grass as if groping the earth for support. It is her turn to doubt, but she quickly steels herself.

"Link." The word sounds somber, wearier than she expects, as if she does not want him to hear it.

"Zelda?" She hears him shift toward her. "What is it?"

"Are you willing to go?"

The question feels off somehow, out of place and time, like an aberration of sort. But she has to ask. She needs to be able to sleep again after he goes back.

He stays silent for so long that she is not sure she has really voiced these words.

"What?"

For a while, she talks of natural laws and their consequences; about chaos and death and the fate of two worlds. "The duty of Nayru's Triforce is to fight for order; for this world's balance more than for my people's safety. This duty comes before my life," she whispers. "Yet today, I will not." She swallows, lips trembling. "Because you are not just one of my subjects." Her sigh is still ragged while she tries to get ahold of herself. "I think... the Hero of Time has earned the right to decide his life; to decide to stay where and when he wants."

He frowns. It is easy to speak without looking her in the eye, but he does not feel the strength to do otherwise. He can barely trust his voice right now.
"Since I woke up in the Temple of Time, I had always hoped for a quiet life among Hylians, but I...I have no name... Ah, Zelda, how can you ask those kinds of things?"

"I am sorry. Really sorry." She shakes her head. "I don't think it is my place to force you to do anything. You are not only the people's hero. You are the Goddesses' chosen and has the responsibility to defend the laws of Time as much as I do. As such, the decision should fall to you."

"Please, Zelda," he rasps, and his voice is so grave... "Do not lure me with false choices. Time and destiny's ties are not your fault. It is our duty," he spats, as if the words were a curse, but then sighs deeply. "I can-I will not make that kind of decision myself."

"It is no easier for me, Link. If there is any other solution, I-"

"I don't resent you." Never you, he thinks, and it is true...even when he can count the reasons to do otherwise.

Trying to restrain the tears, she does not feel them glide down her temples while gratitude feels so sweet on her heart. Her mind is weightless and more peaceful than as long as she can remember.

She slides a hand under his, and their fingers lock, fierce and clumsy and desperate in the heavy silence.
Sign up to rate and review this story