Categories > TV > Xena: Warrior Princess > Pebbles

Creation

by ukeueue 0 reviews

The water ripples and churns. A series of ficlets. 50 - Here. Now.

Category: Xena: Warrior Princess - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Characters: Ares,Xena - Published: 2012-10-02 - Updated: 2012-10-03 - 409 words - Complete

0Unrated
50. Creation
22 September 2006
X/A

Ares enjoyed the times Xena asked him to spar. She'd tease him about something like growing old and fat, and just how old was he, anyway? And he'd retort something obvious about being a god, as if he wasn't terrified of losing her some day, and she'd laugh and say something disrespectful that'd give Zeus righteous constipation.

And they'd be moving, muscles screaming at their demands, breath rasping through their lungs, minds racing to keep up with each other, and their bodies just moving, filled with living in the here, and it was now.

He knew that gods had a shakier grasp on reality than most, but that was largely due to the fact that reality had only a given amount of real and a large amount of whatever's inside people's heads, and when truth jumped around like a target on a string, history rewrote itself every so often when what was inside the heads ambushed the real, and some idiot's come up with yet another wild story accusing him of something Ares did not and would not do, it was easier to leave the existential dread to the wimpier gods. Like Apollo. But when she reached out her hand to him and pulled him into a world that sharpened into focus and filled in with colours that he couldn't remember seeing before, he understood a bit. He'd never known before that this was how mortals felt to be alive every single moment of every day.

He thought maybe he envied them. He thought maybe he should blame her for changing him.

But not like this, with his body dodging the fluid weave of her sword, her laughter ringing in his ears, and life rushing through his veins.

"Hey, Xena?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

He savoured his victory when she stumbled, and he pinned her to the ground and breathed in the here and now.


AN -
Stopping at 50 for tonight. This series has been complete for the past five years, so I'll keep uploading soon. Just wanted to take the chance to talk about what I was doing here.

As the title suggests, each moment, each event changes the person receiving the experience. This series is about things that change, things that stay the same. Things that matter. (With the exception of the occasional ridiculous crack.)

Not my best writing, of course. It has been five years. But I think the premise still stands.
Sign up to rate and review this story