Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > The Chimeras

Hakuhatsu Island

by CheshireMusing 1 review

Seeking refuge from their own nation, General Iroh and his nephew Prince Zuko must now rely upon a very old friend of the General's. Iroh has brought Zuko to an island unknown to the Fire Nation to...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Zuko, Other - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-07-17 - Updated: 2006-07-17 - 2098 words

2Ambiance
Prologue: Traitors

It is only a few days after the triumph of the Northern Water Tribe over Fire Nation invaders. General Iroh has been declared a traitor and now he and his nephew, Prince Zuko seek shelter. The crew of Zuko's ship remains loyal to him and Iroh, but it was only a matter of time before the Fire Navy finds them. Iroh has given coordinates to the helmsman for a small island near the Northern Earth Kingdom coast. It is an island that no one aboard the ship has been to save for Iroh himself.
_______________________


Zuko looked across the Pai Sho board as his uncle concentrated on his next move. Iroh has been unusually quiet since they began their course to the island. It was as though something were continually weighing upon his mind. His strange silence prompted Zuko into asking for a game. He wasn't a great fan of Pai Sho, but he hoped that it would prompt some conversation from Iroh, perhaps even the old general's reasons for wanting to go to this island that Zuko had never even heard of.

Iroh reached out to move a piece, but before he touched the tile, the captain appeared in the door. "Sirs, we're nearing the island."

Iroh smiled and got to his feet. "Time to go, Nephew."

Zuko followed his uncle and the captain out onto the deck. Not far in the distance was a green isle. He looked over to Iroh and was surprised to see an expression of nostalgia on the general's face.

"Hakuhatsu Island," Iroh murmured, as though speaking only to himself. "Exactly where she'd said it would be."


Part One: The Island


Chapter One: Hakuhatsu Island


Zuko ducked under a low branch, following Iroh through the thick forest. They'd left the ship nearly an hour ago and Zuko had yet to see any signs of life on the island at all. Iroh seemed to be looking for something, but didn't quite know what it was.
"Uncle, why are we here?" he finally asked. "We've been wandering around for an hour now."

"This island is a place to take refuge from the world, Zuko," Iroh replied as they entered a small clearing. "I was given the location a very long time ago by a trusted friend. They told me that if there ever came a time that one needed to hide, this is the place to be."


"I can see why," the prince muttered, looking around for a path through the trees. He suddenly had a bad feeling. "Let's keep moving," he said.

Iroh gave a delighted laugh and pointed ahead of them. "I think I see smoke further on. This way."

However, before he could take a step, something dropped from the tree in front of him and blocked his path. A figure dressed in mottled browns and greens, perfect camouflage for the forest, face hidden by a hood. Iroh met the black eyes through slits in the hood and stood his ground. The figure reached behind his back and unsheathed a pair of short broadswords. "Men of the Fire Nation," the figure spoke harshly and held the tip of one sword to Iroh's throat, "you are trespassing."

Iroh didn't blink. "We are not here to cause harm," he said, his voice quiet and calm. "My nephew and I seek shelter."

"How did you find this place?" the figure snapped.

"I was given the coordinates," Iroh explained. "I was told to come here if I was ever in need."

The stranger still did not seem convinced. He stepped closer to Iroh and held the blade steady. "This island does not welcome Fire Nation." He pointed the other sword at Zuko. "Don't you move!"

Zuko stopped in his tracks and scowled. He'd been edging to the side in hopes of getting a clear shot at their attacker. "Still so sure about this place, Uncle?" he asked irritably.

Iroh did not reply.

"Cade. Stand Down."

Zuko and the stranger both turned their heads in the direction of a new voice. The stranger did not move at first. "Master, they are Fire Nation."

"I am aware of this." The owner of the voice stepped into the clearing. It was a woman with silvered black hair drawn back into a knot and sharp face, dressed in a dark red kimono. Though the silver in her hair gave away age, her face did not. It was lean and intelligent with the barest sign of aging. Her golden eyes rested on Zuko only a moment before she strode forward to place a hand on the blade at Iroh's throat. "I ordered you to stand down, apprentice. Do as I say."

"But Master!"

"Now."

The hooded figure hesitated one moment more and then lowered the blade. He stepped back, sheathing the swords. The woman turned and faced Iroh, putting her hands in her hips. "So pray tell, what brings the Dragon of the West General Iroh to Hakuhatsu Island?"

Zuko watched as his uncle's face went from slightly confused to genuinely pleased. Iroh bowed his head to the woman. "Following the advice of an old friend," he replied. "It is good to see you again, Mimiko."

The woman, Mimiko, smiled gently. "It is good to see you too, Iroh. It's been a long time, hasn't it?"

Zuko and the figure, Cade, looked at each other, both plainly confused.

Mimiko looked past Iroh to Zuko and chuckled warmly. "Well, I think we've thoroughly puzzled the children, old friend. Let's finish this conversation in the comfort of my home, which I welcome you to."

She turned and started towards the rising smoke. The hooded apprentice turned on his heel and followed. Iroh gestured to his nephew that they should follow as well.

"Uncle, what is going on?" Zuko asked quietly as they walked a few feet behind Mimiko and her apprentice. "Who is this woman?"

"I met her many years ago when I was still in the army," Iroh explained. "She and I remained friends for years before we were forced to go our separate ways."

"Is she the one who gave you the location of this island?"

Iroh nodded. "She was, indeed."

The group left the forest behind for a clear meadow, a large building built near the center of it. It was an odd mix of Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation styles. The smoke was rising from a smaller building near it. As they passed this smaller building, Zuko saw that it was a smithy. Set nearer to the trees a distance past the main building was what was obviously a training ring, complete with dummies and equipment. Mimiko led them straight to the main building and ushered them inside.

Once inside, it was clear that although the building was large, it was not entirely extravagant. Mimiko took them to a small room with a large fireplace and threadbare, though cushioned chairs. She gestured for the men to sit as she settled herself in a chair near the fire. Her apprentice took a position by the door, straight-backed and clearly on guard. Iroh sat near Mimiko and looked quite at ease. Zuko, on the other hand, seemed just as tense as Cade.

Mimiko sighed lightly. "Isn't this a familiar setting?" she asked jokingly of Iroh. The old general laughed and agreed. "For us, anyhow," Mimiko continued, raising an eyebrow at both her apprentice and Zuko. "Now, would this young man be your nephew, Prince Zuko?"

"He is," Iroh said, inclining his head, "Zuko, this is my friend, Lady Mimiko. Like I said before, she and I became friends long ago when I was serving in the army."

"It is a pleasure to meet you, highness," Mimiko said, bowing her head to the prince. "I doubt you were even a gleam in your father's eye when Iroh and I parted ways. What brings the two of you here?"

Zuko did not feel the need to speak. Iroh glanced at him before launching into the tale of the failed assault on the Northern Water Tribe. He explained Zuko's banishment in the simplest of terms and his own status as a traitor.

Mimiko frowned as Iroh spoke of Admiral Zhao's murder of the spirit. "The fool actually murdered the Spirit of the Moon? And you were declared traitor for trying to stop him? Gods, Iroh, what has happened to the world while I've been gone?"

Iroh shook his head sadly. "It is a dark and frightening place as always, Mimiko. But those are the circumstances that brought us here. We must keep a low profile for a while."

"You are welcome here as long as you need stay, my friend," Mimiko told him firmly. She motioned to her apprentice, "Come here, Cade." The apprentice took only a few steps forward, obviously not wanting to be near Iroh or Zuko. "Iroh, this is my apprentice, Cade. I found her about five years ago the last time I left the island. Take off that hood, Cade. Stop hiding your face."

Cade pulled the hood off roughly, frowning deeply. She glared at the men, as if daring them to say anything about her face.

Zuko started when he saw her face. Not only was Mimiko's apprentice female, she couldn't be far from his age and bore a scar on the left side of her face like he did. Hers was a thin, vertical scar and lower on her face than his, but it was surprising nonetheless. Her hair was an odd, very dark red and her eyes were a pure and piercing black. Zuko had never seen such strange coloring before.

Neither had Iroh, but he did not let his surprise show. He gave Cade a kind smile. "Good to meet you, young lady."

Cade did not reply except to glower at him. She looked to Mimiko and bowed slightly. "Master, may I be excused?"

Mimiko seemed to think about it. "Very well," she said after a moment. Cade bowed again and quickly left the room. Mimiko shook her head and sighed deeply. "Please forgive my apprentice. She's had a rather difficult life, mostly due to the Fire Nation. She isn't usually so...irritable."

"Who exactly are you?" Zuko asked suddenly. He didn't like the fact that Cade was against the Fire Nation. Was this Mimiko woman an enemy of his nation as well? If so, how could Iroh be friends with her? "And who is /she/?" he added, jerking his head towards the door that Cade had disappeared through.

Mimiko did not look insulted by his rudeness. "I'm simply an old woman who does not agree with the Fire Nation's politics. Despite the blood in my veins, young prince, I am rather against this war. But there is little I can do about it, so I distance myself from it instead. I've only minimal firebending skills and no stomach for battle. I put my skills to better use by giving training to young Cade."

"She's a firebender?" Iroh asked.

"Yes," Mimiko replied with a short nod. "She has greater potential than I ever did, though. I do what I can for her, but that is only so much."

"She doesn't look like Fire Nation," Zuko said quickly. "At least any Fire Nation I've ever seen. How is it she has firebending skills at all?"

Mimiko shook her head and looked pitying. A soft creak drew their attention back to the door. Cade had reappeared there, her face now blank.

"I'm a half-breed," she told Zuko, her voice dangerously soft. "My mother was from the Earth Kingdom and my father was a soldier of the Fire Nation."

Zuko frowned again. "How can you be so against the Fire Nation, then? If your own mother had an affair with a Fire Nation soldier?"

Cade fixed her dark eyes on him. Her voice was still soft, but there was a slight tremor to it. "It wasn't an affair...and my mother didn't have much say in the matter."

Zuko's eyes widen in understanding and he fell silent. Iroh looked quickly to Mimiko, who nodded. Iroh hung his head slightly, unsure of what he could possibly say. 'Sorry' just didn't seem appropriate.

Mimiko cleared her throat and Iroh lifted his head to see her. "Why don't I show you and your nephew around the island? There are some others on this isle that you should meet."

"Sounds like a good idea," Iroh said, feeling grateful to his old friend. Zuko only nodded slightly, his mouth a thin line. Cade stepped out of the room again without another word.
Sign up to rate and review this story