Categories > Games > Zelda > Correspondence

Disillusioned

by arora_kayd 1 review

Written by me. After learning of Sheik's death, Link stuggles to comes to terms.

Category: Zelda - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Characters: Link - Published: 2006-07-17 - Updated: 2006-07-18 - 691 words

0Unrated
Title: Disillusioned
Author: Arora-Kayd
Beta: Point-Earedpain
Disclaimer: We own nothing! ... nothing terribly signifigant that is...
Summary: After learning of Sheik's death, Link stuggles to come to terms.
Rating:PG


Link was utterly dumbstruck.

He was dead? Sheik died? Sheik couldn't die. Sheik just did not die.

A hole seemed to worm it's way into Link's chest, eating his soul away at a painfully slow pace.

Breathing became difficult as he re-read the words and threw the letter on his desk, gripping his head with both hands. Impa's accusation haunted him. What did you do to him, Link? He felt the rising of tears, but they would not come. He craved their cathartic release, but his eyes remained dry.

Link was unsure of how much time passed, only dimly aware that it had grown darker when the door to his study opened. He raised his head, arms crossed in front of him on the desk, waiting for the intruder to speak. Link looked down when he felt a tugging on his long shirt and produced a weak smile for his son.

"What's wrong, Daddy?" Asif immediately noticed Link's saddened disposition and hugged his father's leg. Link reached down and pulled the boy onto his lap. Back to chest, he hugged Asif to him, finding comfort in his warmth, and rested his chin of Asif's head.

"A close friend of Daddy's passed away." Asif deserved to know that much, and so did Sheik.

"I'm sorry." Asif hugged Link's arms and settled himself. A moment passed before Link placed a kiss on the blond head under him.

"Me too." Asif stayed on his fathers lap, eyes slowly falling as Link gently rocked him. It wasn't long before Asif was yawing and fighting to keep his eyes open. Link repositioned his son, linking the boy's arms around his neck, and carried him to bed.

After tucking Asif in, Link returned to his own room. Zelda sat at her vanity and Link pressed a kiss to her cheek as he passed. Sitting down heavily on their bed, Link began undressing for bed. Hearing a sigh to her right, Zelda turned to look at her husband, noting the same off mood as her son had.

"What's the matter?"

"Nothing. It's just...been a long day." Link dismissed, knowing anything more specific would raise too many questions. Zelda knew that part of Link missed the old days of heroism and chalked his mood to that longing.

Zelda moved to the bed and settled herself under the covers where Link joined her a few minuets later. She initiated a good night kiss that Link kept short before he rolled to his side, facing the right wall. Zelda stared at his naked back for a moment before lying down in a mirror position.

A few days later found Link at his desk, quill resting idly in his hand as he stared at the blank parchment in front of him. It took some time for the words to come to him, and even then they were disjointed.

.....................

Impa,

It should have been me. It was all my fault. It should have been me.

I won't speak of what happened, for both his and my sakes. Just know that he didn't deserve what I did. It was far worse than anything he could have ever done.

I was just so angry... everything...

I just don't...

I never meant...

Sheik was always so strong. He should have been able to cope

There I go blaming others again. Goddesses! Why can't I learn? If I hadn't blamed him then things would be so different... wouldn't they? I just don't know any more.

Forgive me. I can no longer fix things with him. I hope my deepest, sincerest apologies bring you some comfort.

At least he was... happy in the end. He deserves happiness, and to rest. He earned it... he earned a lot more than I gave him credit for it seems. Selfish - that is what I was.

I'm so sorry, Sheik.

I...

~ Link


We're pretty sure there's going to be one more chapter, maybe two...but it's still kinda up in the air.
Sign up to rate and review this story