Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > The Chimeras

Scars

by CheshireMusing 0 reviews

Zuko has discovered Cade's secret pain. How will the half-breed react to his discovery?

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama - Characters: Zuko, Other - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-07-17 - Updated: 2006-07-18 - 3084 words

0Unrated
Chapter Six: Scars


Suoh ran Zuko through paces everyday after that. The former general's training was just as tough as his uncle's firebending training had been. It did, however, keep the prince from feeling completely out of place.

They worked with wooden practice swords for the most part now. Suoh had chided both him and Cade for using live steel in their first spar. Zuko had argued at first, pointing out that Suoh trained Cade with live steel everyday.

"I have also been training Cade for nigh on five years, young prince," Suoh told him, tossing a wooden sword at him. "I know exactly what she's capable of when it comes to a sword."

Zuko promptly shut his mouth.

"Let's begin," Suoh said, holding up his sword in a 'guard' stance.

Zuko mirrored the stance as best he could. It was slightly different from the one he'd learned. Almost everything Suoh did was an alteration of what he'd learned in the Fire Nation or from his Uncle Iroh. It was like learning everything all over again. It made sense, he guessed. Suoh and Iroh were from two different nations, after all.

"The Lady Mimiko told me you were a general in the Earth Kingdom's army," he said as they walked through the fighting stances.

"I was."

"Why did you come here?"

"20 years ago, Lady Mimiko came to me and asked me if I wanted to," Suoh replied. "I had no where else I needed to be since I was retired from the army, so I came."

"Was it only you three back then?" Zuko asked, "Mimiko, Noshi, and you?"

"Oh no," Suoh said, "there were actually about 12 of us who came in the beginning. Lady Mimiko belonged an assassination band at the time, all of whom were on the run from the Fire Nation. My troop used to supply them when they needed us. That's how I met them...and my wife."

"You have a wife?"

"Had a wife," the old general corrected. "For 20 years. She died in childbirth shortly before I came to the island."

"I'm sorry," the prince said, not knowing anything else to say.

Suoh shook his head. "I am not. We had a happy life together. I regret nothing. Keep your left hand higher on the hilt, prince."

Zuko did as he said and then asked, "Was your wife a member of Lady Mimiko's assassins?"

"She was," Suoh said with an air of pride. "She was more deadly than I."

"What was her name?"

"Ysandre," he said. He lowered his sword. "That's enough for now, young prince." He set his sword and Zuko's with the other practice blades. When he turned back to the prince, he noticed the strange expression he wore. "Something wrong, Prince Zuko?"

"Ysandre is a Fire Nation name," the prince said.

"Yes. Yes, it is."

_______________________


Later that day, once Zuko had fully processed the fact that Suoh had had a Fire Nation wife, he went to the smithy to speak with his new teacher.

The smithy was hot as any of the seven hells when Zuko stepped inside. Suoh was at the forge; hammer in one hand, red-hot blade in the other. An echoing clang made Zuko's ears ring as Suoh struck the sword. Suoh caught sight of the prince and set both sword and hammer down. "Something I can do for you, young prince?" he asked once the noise from the forge quieted.

"Actually, I wanted to see your weapons," Zuko confessed, his eyes already wandering to the wall of swords, axes, and spears.

Suoh smiled proudly and nodded. He went to the wall and pulled down a thin sword, "Here."

Zuko took the sword in hand and held it up. It was a light double-edged blade, its hilt unadorned. It didn't look like anything special to the outward eye, but Zuko felt the perfect balance as soon as he held it. The sword was a masterpiece! "Impressive." He handed the sword back to its maker. Suoh's smile widened. He looked as happy as Zuko had seen him so far. He handed the prince another sword.

This one was distinctively Fire Nation in style. He looked at Suoh quickly, a questioning expression on his face. No other weapons on the wall were done in this style.

"That sword is one of the only ones I had helped with," Suoh said. "My wife designed it, and forged the fires that helped to shape it. It is one of my favorite weapons."

Zuko tried a few passes. "It's amazing."

..."It's yours."

Zuko started, almost dropping the sword. "But...but why?"

"It suits you," was the blacksmith's reply. "Besides, you are my student now. It's my job to make sure you are properly equipped."

"What about Cade?"

"Cade already wears a sword of my making. It hangs in her room for the most part. Another that my wife helped me make."

Zuko didn't know what to say except, "Thank you."

Suoh nodded, "You are welcome, young prince. Why don't you take it to the training ring and try it out?"

Zuko twisted the hilt of his new sword in his hand and nodded slowly. "I think I will." He turned, still staring down at the sword. "Thanks," he said again.
However, the blacksmith was back at the forge again and didn't hear him. But then, he didn't really need to.

____________________


By the time that Zuko returned to the house, the moon was high over head and was the only source of light on the island save for the few fires in the house. He hung his new sword with pride above his bed and simply looked at it for a few minutes. He hadn't really had a sword of his own since before he was banished. A firebender didn't actually have much use for a close range weapon, but it still felt good to have one.

He found his uncle his usual sitting room and sat down in the chair across from him. They sat in silence for a few minutes, Iroh sipping his tea slowly and Zuko staring into the fire.

"I'm sorry."

Iroh looked at his nephew in surprise. "What are you sorry for? I wasn't aware that you had done anything, nephew."

"I'm sorry for the way I've been acting," Zuko said. "You were right to bring us to this island, I know that. But the idea of being isolated on an island with people I'd have normally considered my enemies made me..."

"Uncomfortable?" Iroh supplied, smiling kindly. "I understand completely, Zuko. And I forgive you."

Zuko nodded his thanks and then frowned. "Uncle, what are we going to do? We're traitors according to the Fire Nation. We can't stay on the island forever." He smirked suddenly and gave his uncle an ironic look. "Well, I can't anyhow."

"No, you are right," Iroh said with a sigh. "Honestly, nephew, I am not sure. The best we can do now is bid our time here. This island is the safest place we could be; provided that you are Cade don't kill one another."

Zuko shook his head.

Iroh stretched and groaned in a contented way. "I think I'll go to bed now. Don't stay up too late, nephew," he told Zuko as he stood and left the room. The prince remained in his chair by the fire, trying not to think about the place he once called home.

______________________


(/36 years ago/)

"Do you ever wonder if we're right?"

Iroh looked up at Mimi as they walked along the path, her balancing upon a stone fence that lined one side of it. "About what?"

"This war," she answered. "Do you ever question the Fire Nation's invading of the other nations?"

..."At times," he said after some thought. "When another battle has been drawn to another bloody end, it is daunting to see so much death."

"And for what?" Mimi asked, her tone rather bitter. "Why are we here, Iroh? What purpose does this war serve? What purpose is there for all of this death?"

"Mimi!" Iroh grabbed her hand and pulled her down from the fence. "Do not talk like that. Especially not here." She scowled and pulled away from him. He let her go, feeling bewildered. "What brought this on, love?" he asked her, gently taking her hand in his.

"Yesterday we passed by a defeated village," she reminded him. "Some of the buildings were still smoking. As we passed...I saw one of the surviving villagers clutching her child to her breast. The child wasn't breathing, Iroh. He was dead. It horrified me to think that we did that. Our honorable nation..." Her voice faded to nothing. "Thoughts like that scare me, Iroh. They make me wonder if I'm really my father's daughter."

"What do you mean?"

But she quickly shook her head. "Never mind. I just wish we lived in a better world."

"You're an idealist," Iroh said with a smile, trying to incite one of hers.

"Maybe so," she replied, the corners of her mouth edging into the cautious smile. "Maybe I just want to change the world."

"You're only one woman," he reminded her as she climbed back onto the fence. "One idealist won't make much of a difference."

"Then I'll just have to find more like me, then, won't I?"


_____________________


(/Present/)

The next morning, Zuko went looking for the Lady Mimiko, wanting to apologize to her as well. He knew he wouldn't be able to bring himself to say sorry to Cade, but he was sure that Mimiko would pass on his apologies to her whether he wanted her to or not. He first checked her rooms, hoping that it was early enough that she'd still be there. However, when he knocked on her door, there was no answer. As an afterthought, (one which he didn't really want to have), he also knocked on his uncle's door. To his relief, his uncle was still asleep and quite alone.

Zuko was about to venture outside when he heard Mimiko's voice coming from a room he'd not seen before. The door was open a crack, so he glanced inside.

His breath caught in his throat as he surveyed the scene in the room.

Mimiko was standing beside a bed, on which Cade was lying on her stomach. The apprentice was resting her chin on her folded arms, an empty sort of look on her face. She wore an odd backless shirt, one that tied around her neck and waist. The shirt's use was obvious though.

Covering the girl's back were jagged scars that went from her waist all the way up to the base of her neck. A few even went over her shoulders. They looked like whip scars at first, but the more Zuko looked at them, the more they looked like they'd been burned into her skin.

"So they aren't bothering you much?" Mimiko was asking her, running a gentle hand over the scars. Cade shook her head awkwardly. "Hm. I suppose that's because you aren't growing as fast as you were a few years ago. You aren't stretching them anymore. Do you want me to salve them today?"

"No," Cade said, propping herself up on her elbows, "they'll be fine, I think. We should save the liniment for colder weather anyhow."

Suddenly, she tensed. Zuko realized with a cold shock that she was looking right at the door. She leapt up from the bed and to the door, throwing it open. The look of alarm, hurt, and fury circulating through her black eyes would have stopped the hardiest warrior in his tracks. Zuko stood there, unable to move or look away.

Mimiko came up behind her apprentice, looking at Zuko with a mix of anger and question on her face. She opened her mouth to speak, but he gasped out quickly, "I'm sorry!" and took off down the hall and out of the house.

Cade watched him go, her breath coming in short, furious bursts. Mimiko wrapped her arms around the girl and met with no resistance as she normally would. "Lie down and take deep breaths until you've calmed down," the older woman ordered firmly. Cade made no response, her face still a mask of confounded emotions. "/Arcadia/!"

The use of her full name seemed to snap Cade out of her trance. She glanced down the hall once more and then did as her master bid her.

Mimiko let out a deep breath of her own and set off down the hall, a resolute presence to her.

____________________

Zuko sat on a fence post on the edge of the training ring, unsure of what to think or do. He felt someone walk up behind him, but he refused to turn around. He didn't want to talk to anyone.

Something landed in the dirt in front of him. He looked down and saw a practice blade. Snapping around, he found himself facing Cade.

"Pick it up." Her voice gave nothing away and neither did her face. He did as she asked, standing and taking the sword into his hand. Cade jumped the fence and walked to the center of the ring, a sword in her hand as well. Zuko noticed that she now wore a long-sleeved shirt that also covered her neck.

Zuko followed her into the ring and waited. She took a guard stance and they began.

It was all Zuko could do to stay on his feet. Cade moved faster than he'd ever seen her move before. Each blow sent waves of pain through his arms. At first, he fought to keep his temper under control, but as the abuse went on, he realized he was getting off easy. This was his punishment for seeing what she'd wanted to keep hidden. He braced himself and let her worked her anger out on him.

Finally, she dropped her sword in the dirt. They were both breathing heavily and drenched in sweat. Cade gestured to the bench at the edge of the ring and they both went to sit. She buried her face in a towel before handing another to him.

They sat in silence for a while.

"How did you get that scar on your face?" Cade asked him suddenly. She sounded extremely tired.

Zuko hesitated to answer. The old fury and shame began to stir in his gut. "It was an Agni Kai two...almost three years ago. I lost."

"Oh."

Seeing her question as permission to ask one himself, he chanced, "What about you? How did you get your scars?"

She fixed her gaze on the ground at her feet. "I was 9. My mother had just died and I'd left my village to seek out my father. I came across an encampment of Fire Nation soldiers. They'd... destroyed a nearby village earlier that day and were...celebrating their victory. It infuriated me. I...snapped completely. I was determined to destroy /them/. I attacked the camp, armed with a knife and my little firebending skills. I'd only managed to injure one soldier before they captured me. Because I was so young, they decided not to kill me. Instead, they whipped me with strings of fire and then threw me into the river." She turned her eyes to him, surprisingly calm. "Finding my father dropped a rung on my priority list. I made the decision as I crawled onto the riverbank that I would make it my duty to cause as much damage to the Fire Nation as I could."

"I get that," Zuko said. "But those soldiers...they're not what you should base your opinion of my nation on. Honor is very important to my people."

"Honor?" Cade repeated scathingly. "What honor do you speak of, prince/? Your people have brought nothing but war, destruction, and death to the world. Can you honestly find fault in my people for merely fighting /back/? What else can we do? Lie down and let your /honorable nation run over us?" She stood and turned her back on him.

Zuko stood as well. "I know it isn't by any happy circumstances, but you are half Fire Nation. You're turning your back on something that's a part of you."

He heard the slap before his cheek felt the sting of it. Cade had backhanded him before he could blink.

"Damn you to the seven hells, prince!" Cade hissed. "Hear and understand me; No part of me is really Fire Nation. I've laid eyes on my father once in my lifetime. He has no idea I even exist. The only thing he did was rape and dishonor my mother. He ruined her life and cursed me to a half life. I am not Fire Nation! Do you understand me?"

"Fine!" he snapped. "I understand. Get out of my face."

"Gladly." She turned away and jumped over the fence. Then she hesitated. "I was born a mistake, Zuko. I've spent over half my life trying to correct it. You'd do well to stay out of my way."

With that, she was gone.

____________________________


"Mimiko told me you had a rather bitter encounter with her apprentice," Iroh said gently, standing beside his nephew's bed. Zuko had been there for the past hour, feeling completely drained. "Would you like to tell me your side of it?"

"Not really," Zuko replied, turning on his side away from his uncle.

Iroh sighed. "Mimiko also let me know a few interesting things about young Cade. Apparently, the girl was chased out of her home after her mother died. The other villagers didn't want her 'contaminating' the rest of the children."

Zuko said nothing.

"After she got those injuries on her back," Iroh continued, "she was faced with surviving in the wilds on her own. She didn't dare go to a town for help, for fear of being shunned like she was in her own village. The point I'm trying to make, nephew, is that Cade has every right to hate our nation and to deny the blood in her veins. Don't fault her on that."

"I don't want to hear about her past. I don't care."

Iroh shook his head. "Very well." He turned towards the door. "You cannot hide in this room forever, nephew. Keep that in mind."

Zuko waited until he heard the door shut behind his uncle before sitting up in bed. He hated this island. He hated the people on it. They made him question everything he had every learned or understood.

He had to find a way out.
Sign up to rate and review this story