Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > The Chimeras

Death

by CheshireMusing 0 reviews

Zuko may have finally found some peace on the island, but how long will it last?

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Zuko, Other - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2006-07-17 - Updated: 2006-07-18 - 2501 words

0Unrated
Chapter Eight: Death


The sun rose the next morning to Cade running circles around Zuko in the training ring.

"So," she said, blocking a hit. "You told me that you got that scar in an Agni Kai. That's a fire duel, right? Who were you fighting?"

Zuko tried not to get angry at the sudden question, but it was kind of hard with their adrenaline running high. He struck at her again, the clang of the practice swords echoing across the yard. "None of your business," he replied as evenly as he could manage. He pulled away and they began to circle one another, each looking for an opening. As they did, he decided on a question himself. "Your story explains the scars on your back," he said. "What about the one on your face?"

"What about it?" she retorted, moving in closer.

He shrugged. "Looks like a knife wound or something. How'd you get it?"

"Huh. None of your business." Cade struck at an opening at the prince's waist. He blocked it and tried a hit of his own without success. She grinned rather maliciously and struck back. "Ha!" she exclaimed as her sword connected gently with Zuko's shoulder. They both pulled back and the circling began again. "Your father's Fire Lord. Where's your mother?"

"That's a low blow," he said calmly. "How did your mother die?"

"Ouch. Ditto."

They grinned at each other, kind of enjoying the new game. Zuko was forced to drop his sword when Cade landed a blow on his arm. "I yield," he said quickly as Cade's sword found his throat. "You win."

"Yeah, well, you won the other game," she told him. He scooped up his fallen sword and they started back to the house. "I couldn't think of anything else to ask."

"That's a good thing," he assured her. "For me anyhow."

"Do you have any?"

"What? More questions you won't answer? No."

"We're a strange breed, aren't we?" Mimiko's voice joined into their conversation. "Humans, I mean. We seek all the answers, but dislike so many of the questions." Mimiko, who was leaning against the doorframe, gave them her cheshire grin, "If you two are done tormenting one another, I've a favor to ask."

"Supplies?" Cade guessed, gesturing to the two bags at Mimiko's feet.

"Yep," Mimiko said. "Cade, you'll take Noshi's provisions to her; Zuko can take Heshain's."

Cade nodded, but Zuko was confused. "Who's Heshain?"

"Another refugee, like you and Iroh," Mimiko explained. "Hiding from the Fire Nation. I think you'll like him. He doesn't live too far from the house." She reached down to grab the packs. Holding them out to both teenagers, she smiled. "Don't be surprised if Iroh and I aren't here when you get back. He's asked me to show him more of the island." She pointedly ignored their knowing looks as they each took a bag.




Mimiko hadn't lied when about it not being far from the house. After only a few minutes of walking in the direction she'd pointed. Zuko saw a small hut through the trees. As he grew closer, he noticed that it was in much better condition than Noshi's. There was smoke rising from a hole in the center of the roof and even a small garden at the side of the hut. Feeling a little less apprehensive, Zuko reached up to knock on the door. Before his hand hit the wood, however, the door opened.

Standing in the doorway was a tall and thin man. His black-brown hair was long and untidy, but clean, and his amber eyes were tired, but kind. Zuko caught a glimpse of scarring around the man's wrist before he dropped his hand from the door. The man smiled gently, "Morning."

"Are you Heshain?" Zuko asked at once.

"I am," the man replied, holding out his hand for the bag slung over Zuko's shoulder. The prince handed it over and started to turn away. "Just a moment," Heshain called to him. "You aren't the face I usually see. Where's Cade? Is she alright?"

"She's fine," Zuko said, surprised at the real concern in the man's voice. Upon a second glance, he realized that the man wasn't as old as he'd assumed. In fact, Heshain couldn't have been more than 25. "She's delivering supplies to Noshi."

"Ah, I see. So, you're new to the island, then?"

"Yeah."

"Well, look, could you spare a moment to visit? There's something I need to get to Cade." Heshain stood back so that Zuko could enter the hut. The prince hesitated, but then entered the small hut.

It was simple, but comfortable enough, he supposed. There was a fire pit in the center of the floor, a sleeping roll in the corner, and a short table in the other corner. There was a blackened pot hanging over the fire with water boiling merrily in it, a piece of parchment with a little writing on it and a silver ring on the table. Heshain dropped the supply bag by the fire pit and knelt beside it. "So what brings you to the island?" he asked as he opened the bag and pulled out a smaller bag of rice.

Zuko, unsure of what to do, stood for a moment before settling himself beside the table. "It's complicated," he replied.

"Huh. "Isn't it always?" Heshain asked with a lopsided grin. "Well, would it have anything to do with that rather impressive scar of yours?" He measured out some rice and poured it into the boiling water.

Zuko shifted uncomfortably. "Sort of."

"Hm. Perhaps it is a similar 'complicated' issue to mine. I was in the Fire Navy a year ago. I refused to kill a prisoner and suddenly became an enemy of my nation."

...

"I came here with my uncle," Zuko finally explained. "He also went against another officer's orders."

"And what about you?" Heshain asked, adding a small measurement of spice to the pot.

"I was already disgraced."

Heshain looked surprised. "Really? Huh. What did you say your name was?"

"Zuko."

Heshain repeated the name calming, stirring the rice. Then..."Zuko? /Prince Zuko/?" He started to rise, but Zuko shook his head and gestured for the man to stay where he was. He never thought he'd feel uncomfortable being a prince, but there was something about Heshain's absolute shock and sudden fear made him feel ill. "I'm sorry, your highness," Heshain said quickly, moving from the fire pit to the other side of the table. He pulled the parchment and quill closer and began to finish whatever he had been writing earlier.

"How did you get to the island?" Zuko asked as he watched Heshain's hand fly across the paper.

"Came to it by a fortunate accident, actually," Heshain said, grinning again. "Washed up on the northern shore a year ago. Cade's the one who found me and brought me back to the Lady Mimiko and General Suoh. They helped me build this hut and keep me supplied with food and such."

"Why don't you live in the house with them?"

"I like a simple life," Heshain told him, looking over what he'd written. "Plus, this way, they won't get sick of looking at me." His continued grin let the prince know he was joking. He then rolled the parchment up, tied a ribbon around it to keep it shut, and held it out to Zuko. "If you could get this to Cade, I'd really appreciate it."

Zuko took the scroll and nodded, getting to his feet. Heshain did the same.

After a moment's hesitation, Heshain offered his hand to the prince. "Take care of yourself."

Zuko shook his hand, surprised by the smile on his face. "I will... You too."




On his way back to the house, he saw Cade waiting at the edge of the clearing for him. He sped up his steps when she saw him coming. "Hey."

"Hey," she replied, now walking beside him. "Mimiko and your uncle aren't back yet. What took you so long?"

"Heshain needed to finish this," Zuko said, holding out the scroll to her. "He asked me to get it to you."

"Oh. Thanks." Was she blushing a little? He couldn't tell in the shade of the trees.

That's food for thought. Zuko hid a grin behind his hand.

When they reached the house, Zuko stepped inside without a thought, but halfway in, he realized that Cade had stopped at the threshold. He turned back, frowning. "Cade?"

"Shh." She held up a hand, her eyes on the forest. Zuko fell silent and waited, also turning his gaze to the trees. Then he saw it.

A flash of light through the trees. The another. And another.

Firebending.

As this realization came to Zuko, Cade took off towards the flashes of light.

"Cade! Wait!" Zuko called, running after her. But she didn't stop. Shaking his head, Zuko picked up his pace. Fear was smoldering in his stomach as they raced towards the fire. Did this have something to do with him and his uncle arriving on the island? Had they led someone here?

His fear seemed confirmed as they ran into the clearing where he and Iroh had first encountered Cade. Several men in Fire Nation armor had Iroh and Mimiko surrounded. Judging by the few fallen soldiers littering the clearing, they hadn't expected such a fight from the general and his female friend.

Cade didn't hesitate. She ran straight into the closing circle of soldiers, knocking one man to the ground. Not giving him any chance, she fell with him and crushed his nose with her elbow, knocking him out. Her sudden attack gave Iroh and Mimiko the distraction they needed. As the other soldiers looked at the new enemy, Iroh sent a wave of fire at the nearest man. Mimiko reached into the sleeve of her kimono and pulled out a set of twin daggers. One dagger went straight into the throat of another soldier. As he fell, another soldier took his place and locked Mimiko in a one on one battle.

Iroh got to his nephew's side as Zuko was drawn into the battle. "Are you alright?" the prince asked him. Iroh nodded shortly before they both dodged a fireball.

"They are here for us," Iroh told him, bringing a soldier down with a swift kick. "They were surprised by Mimiko's presence when they attacked."

The knot in Zuko's stomach turned to stone.

Mimiko and her apprentice were certainly a shock for the soldiers, it seemed. Mimiko had lost her other dagger, as it was buried in the soldier's chest, but was holding her own against another man with her firebending. Cade had been surrounded by about three soldiers, but looked delighted, rather than frightened or worried. She quickly dispatched two of the soldiers and focused on the third. As he went down as well, something in the trees caught her eye. "Archers!" she cried the warning too late as an arrow flew straight for Zuko.

Iroh tried to knock the prince aside, but wasn't quite fast enough. The arrow struck Zuko's right arm just below his shoulder instead of his heart, but he went down on his knees nonetheless. Iroh was separated from his nephew as another solider came down with a series of quick attacks.

Cade dodged a fire attack from one soldier and took a sharp hold of his wrist. Using his own momentum, she sent him stumbling into the soldier attacking Iroh. The general went straight back to Zuko, protecting him as he pulled the arrow from his arm. Cade then sent fire into the trees, trying to burn the archers out. It worked, but not before another arrow went flying towards Mimiko.

The former assassin was facing off with a soldier armed with a large dagger when the arrow went into her shoulder. She cried out in sudden pain, making her stop her attack. But her pain had slowed her down too much. The soldier rushed her and buried the dagger into her stomach.

"NO!" Cade screamed in rage and fear.

Iroh stopped suddenly, his eyes on Mimiko as she fell to her knees, dagger still in her stomach. She looked absolutely stunned. The soldier reached down to finish the job, but Cade was too fast. She rushed him from behind and with several rapid hits to his chest and one to his face, he went down dead.
Zuko stared in horror as Mimiko fell to the ground. He, like his uncle, couldn't seem to move.

Cade, however, moved fast enough for all of them. Rage fueling her, she killed another soldier by simply burning him. Before she could continue her assault, a voice from outside the clearing called, "Men, retreat!"

....A female voice.

The few remaining soldiers scattered from the clearing. Cade screamed her fury again and almost made to follow them. But she caught sight of Iroh slowly moving towards Mimiko and stopped herself. Her black eyes were wide and her face pale as she slowly calmed her rage.

Iroh knelt beside Mimiko and took her hands in his. Her breathing was fast and shallow, and her face was growing paler by the moment. Cade joined them, kneeling on her mentor's other side. "M...Master?" Her voice was quiet and strained. "Mimiko?"

Mimiko freed one hand from Iroh's and reached to touch Cade's cheek. "Love...love you," she whispered weakly. She turned her eyes to Iroh, "Both of you..."

"Mimi..." Iroh moaned, "No, Mimi, don't leave me."

But the light had already faded from Mimiko's eyes. Her hand dropped from Cade's cheek and her head fell to the side. Iroh let out a cry of desperation and clung to Mimiko's limp body. Cade hung her head, her face hidden by shadow.

Zuko watched the scene, completely numb with shock...and with guilt. He'd recognized the voice that called the retreat. It could have only been one person...

"Azula," he whispered hoarsely to himself. Blinking rapidly, he picked himself up and moved to Iroh's side, one thought prominent in his mind. This is my fault.

As Iroh sobbed into the crimson silk of Mimiko's kimono, Zuko sat back against the rough bark of a tree, absentmindedly touching one hand to the wound on his arm. "This is my fault," he said aloud.

Suddenly, Cade reached out and took hold of the hilt of the dagger still in Mimiko's stomach. Her face still shadowed, she quickly pulled it free of the flesh and stood. "Take her back to the house," she ordered, her voice soft and deadly. Iroh nodded, tears streaming down his cheeks. "Don't follow me," Cade said as Zuko stood as well.

"This is my fault," he argued. "I want to help."

Cade pointed the blood-covered blade at him and said simply, "No. Zuko," she pointed to dagger to Iroh, "help your uncle. He needs you more than I do."

She turned swiftly and took the path that the soldiers and Azula had taken in their retreat.
Sign up to rate and review this story