Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > First Impressions

The Best Part of Believe is the Lie

by Mikeyunicornrawr 0 reviews

Same ol' description, high school AU Peterick collaboration with RAWRsaysRabidMissile

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2012-11-14 - Updated: 2012-11-14 - 3733 words

0Unrated
Pete's POV

I sigh and shake my head before leaving the bathroom. I go to my next class but can't focus. I can't get Patrick's hurt look out of my head. I knew it would look bad. I knew he'd take it the wrong way. But it just... kinda happened. Patrick's right. Why should we wait till after school? I owe it to tell him before we talk to Josh. But if I catch him between classes, there's the risk of Josh showing up. So instead, I pull out my notebook. I can slip him the note when we pass in the halls. I grab my pen and start writing, the memory running through my mind as I write it all down.

I found Josh coming back from the office, with a detention slip for lunch period tomorrow. He grinned at me and before I knew it, leaned forward to kiss me. I turned my head before he could catch my lips.

"Pete, what's wrong?"

"Hm? Oh, nothing. Think I'm coming down with a cold. Just um... no kissing, okay?"

"Well can I kiss you on the cheek?" Josh grinned that sickening grin.

"Whatever, I don't care. I have to show you something."

"Ooh, got something for me? How sweet." Don't gag, Pete. Don't gag. I pulled out my video camera and turned it on. I pressed the green little button and the video started playing. Wow, you really could see the torment in my eyes as I kissed him. He obviously couldn't, though. He was smiling. Wait. Why was he smiling?

"Josh?"

"This is great!"

"What do you mean, great?"

"This is so hot. Gimme the SD card, so I can watch it at home."

"You're kidding, right? Don't you know what this means?"

"It means I get to relive the day when we got together. Over and over." His grin widened.

"Whoa. Together... what?"

"Moving too fast? Oh... I'm sorry. You're right. We haven't even told anyone yet."

"Josh!" I stared at him, eyes wide in disgust. "Are you really that dumb?"

"Oh... right. You probably don't want people knowing. Don't worry, though. I have this school wrapped around my fingers. They won't treat you like that fat fag Patrick."

"Don't call him that!"

"Why not?" He looked at me, puzzled.

"He's my... friend." I bit my lip, looking away.

"Ha! Wait... really? Dude, why?"

I glared at him. So many things I would have liked to say. "He just is, okay?"

"Aw, does this mean I have to be nice to him?"

I look up at the clock and sigh as I finish my letter.

"So Patrick, I thought that if I kept him thinking we were together until after school, we could figure something out. Keeping him away from hurting you is my main priority right now. As soon as he asked if he had to be nice to you, I knew that I had to go with it. I don't know what to do. And I know I fucked up. But this asshole is NOT my boyfriend. Never will be. Just meet us at my car after school. Please.
-Pete."

I fold up the letter and bite my lip as the bell rings. I run out of the classroom and hurry to find Patrick.

"Pete..." I turn around and come face to face with Patrick.

"Patrick, there you are. Quick-"

He cuts me off. "I'm not meeting you after school."

"What? No, you have to. Just..." I look around frantically. "Seriously, just read this. It explains everything. You have to trust me." I shove the note into his hand and run off.


[‎Patrick's POV]

As I sit in class, I look down at the note in my hand, after reading it. I sigh, really wishing I could just avoid them both. But the truth is, I can’t. I can’t avoid Josh because he has a habit of finding me. I can’t avoid Pete, because I live with him, and I really have no where else to go. That and he’s my best friend. I bite my lip guiltily. I shouldn’t have snapped at Pete until I knew the full story. Of course Josh misunderstood, he’s an idiot. I was wrong to assume Pete would do something like that to me. As if Pete would actually date Josh. I quickly scribble out a note for Pete.

“Pete,

I’m sorry for snapping. I was wrong. I have a tendency to just assume everyone’s against me and... I know you’re not. You’re a great friend, and I’m less of one. I suck, and I’m sorry. And, I also feel the need to point out... I’m not just saying this shit because I need a place to live. That isn’t it, at all. You’re my best friend and I trust you. I’m sorry.

Love,
Patrick.”

I blush deeply after rereading it and quickly scribble out the “Love” part. I fold it up and shove it into my pocket, hoping to find Pete between classes. When the bell rings I quickly pack up my books and run into the hallway. I catch a glimpse of Pete and run over to him, accidentally falling and knocking him down.

“Oww... “ Pete looks up to me, “I know you’re mad at me but..”

I shake my head and quickly stand, helping him up, slipping the note into his hand, “I-I’m not. I’m sorry.” I hurry to class.

I sit down in my seat, and pull out my books as Josh and his friend walk in.

“Hey fag!” one of his friends call over, “Saw you knock down Pete, what were you trying to do, fuck him?” He laughs.

Josh looks to me, but remains silent.

His friend nudges him, “Wanna go teach that fag a lesson?” he grins wickedly.

“Nah, man. Teacher’s coming, I’m already in trouble.” Josh takes his seat.

So, he wasn’t exactly nice, but at least he didn’t hit me. I just try to concentrate until the class is over and I can see Pete in gym.


Pete's POV

I hurry into my 4th period class and get to my seat before unfolding the note. I read it quickly and chuckle when I see the scratched-out word at the end. I fold it back up and lean back in my chair, letting my mind wander. He really does mean a lot to me, and I'm pretty relieved that he trusted my letter. I was worried he would throw it away without reading it. I'm just not sure what to do about Josh. Patrick will know. He came up with the idea in the first place. I sigh and take out my notebook, turning toward the front of the room and actually trying to listen to teacher. It's not long before the bell rings and I'm on my way to gym. I walk into the side room and see Patrick. Josh is nowhere to be found, so I figure it's safe to talk to him.

"Patrick, hey. Read your note."

"Yeah? G-Good. I uh... I'm sorry I didn't believe you." He fidgets, looking away.

"No problem, I know how it looked. I'm sorry I couldn't tell you."

"L-Listen, Pete... what are we gonna-" Before Patrick can continue, the second bell rings and the gym teacher comes in.

"No more chatting, boys. In the gym. Let's go."

I frown at Patrick and go into the gym, where Josh is standing with his friends. He winks at me. Patrick sees and we both share a look of disgust. Josh starts to come over to me but is herded away by his basketball coach.

"After school, Pete!" He shouts over his shoulder. I nod before going to sit on the bleachers. Patrick's in a different exercise group, so he goes off to run laps around the gym while we sit and wait. Another stupid thing about this school. Each class is so big, we have to take turns exercising and playing games. When his group is done, I get up and replace him on the floor for laps. After that and a game of volleyball, we're back on the bleachers for the rest of the period.

"Patrick. You are gonna meet us after school, right?"

He nods. "I still don't know what you have up your sleeve."

"My sleeve? I was hoping you had a sleeve." I gaze at him, eyes wide.

"Wh-What? You're the one who showed up with him hanging all over you."

"You're the one who suggested we show him the video."

"I-I wasn't expecting this!" Patrick begins to look panicked as the bell rings.

"Neither was I, I thought he'd probably just freak out and beg me not to show anyone. Or beat the shit out of me, either one."

"Obviously not."

Before I can say another word, Josh shows up and grabs my shoulder.

"Alright, let's talk. To your car?"

I bite my lip and nod. "Yeah. To my car." We stand and walk toward the exit.


[‎Patrick’s POV]

I follow Pete and Josh to Pete’s car, thinking hard. What the hell are we going to do? Next time I’m going to let Pete do whatever he thinks will work. But honestly, I hope there isn’t a next time.

“Look, uh.. could we drive somewhere?” Josh looks around, “I can’t be seen casually talking to Patrick..”

I glare at him and take the passenger’s seat.

“Don’t talk about Patrick like he’s not here.” Pete looks to Josh, “Get in, we’ll go to Starbucks or something.”

Josh takes the back seat, pulling his hood over his head.

Pete rolls his eyes and pulls out of the parking lot, going to the Starbucks parking lot a few blocks away. The ride there is silent. When Pete parks, Josh pulls the hood off.

“Okay, so I’ve agreed not to hit you, or openly insult you...” Josh mumbles.

“That... That isn’t quite the point, Josh...” I sigh.

“What? You want to be insulted?” Josh raises an eyebrow.

“No...See...” I look to Pete.

Pete bites his lip, “Josh I.. I’m not interested in you, okay?”

Josh looks to Pete, “Wh-What? But you, we kissed...”

“You kissed me, but that...” he sighs, “I taped it as leverage.. I’m sick of the way you treat Patrick. I’m sick of the way you’re a dick to everyone. The way you’re so disgustingly homophobic, but you’re gay yourself!”

Josh glares at Pete, “So you fucking used me? And how did you even know I’d fall for...” he looks to me, “Shit. You fucking told him didn’t you!?”

I flinch in fear, “I-I-”

“Don’t you go off on Patrick. He takes enough of your shit. If you’re gonna be mad, be mad at me. But you know what? Be pissed. Beat the shit out of me. I don’t care, because when you do? That video will be uploaded onto the school website, youtube, facebook, and I’ll show every god damn person I come across in the hall.”

Josh looks down, “I’m not going to do that. But we’re... that isn’t real?” he looks up to Pete.

“No, it isn’t. I’m sorry, but I couldn’t ever be with someone that treats someone so nice and innocent the way you treat Patrick. You’re mean, awful, nasty and cruel. All he did was be a sweet person. And you? You disgust me. You repulse me. Maybe one day you’ll learn not to treat people like shit. Maybe you’ll lean to accept yourself and you’ll find a great guy. But me? I’m not that guy.”

Josh nods slowly, “Okay I... Okay. You won’t show that to anyone, will you?” he continues when Pete shakes his head, “ I... I’d like to come out without video evidence...” he bites his lip, “And Patrick?”

“Yeah?” I look up to him.

“I’m sorry I’ve been such a dick. That doesn’t come close to making up for it, but I am. Pete’s right, you didn’t deserve any of it.” Josh opens the car door and gets out, walking into the Starbucks.


Pete's POV

I turn to Patrick, eyes wide. "Holy shit... it worked."

"Yeah. I... I was half expecting it not to."

"I was fully expecting it not to," I admit. Patrick nods.

"Do you believe him?" Patrick asks.

I shrug. "I'm not sure if I do believe him. But so far it seems to have worked. He's gonna leave you alone. It's all gonna work out."

"Y-You sure, Pete?"

"Sure, I'm sure. And I won't let him hurt you. I promise."

Patrick smiles and locks his door. "Drive, Pete. He can find his own way home."

"Damn, Patrick. Giving the bully one last taste of his own medicine?

Patrick shrugs. "Yeah, he'll be fine. Not like it's far from his house. I just wanna enjoy the rest of the way home without fear of him saying something rude."

"Of course. Let's go." I shift into gear and pull out of the parking lot. I can't see Josh inside Starbucks, but I'm sure he sees us leaving. He'll be fine, though. As we pull away, I see a few of his friends walk inside. I turn my eyes back to the road, ignoring it.

"Pete?"

"Yeah, 'Trick?"

"Thank you."

"For what?" I ask, driving quickly down the streets.

"For 'taking one for the team'," he replies.

I nod. "Seriously, it was the least I could do. Why do you think I had friends at my last school? I wasn't popular, I wasn't a jock, and I didn't have the IQ of Einstein. No. I just knew how to help people when they needed it."

"I-I bet they loved you. I'm sorry you had to move."

"I'm getting used to it now. And hey, that's what Facebook's for. Keeping in touch. Plus, I have an awesome new best friend."

Patrick smiles and blushes. I pull into my driveway and he gives me a hug as soon as I park. I hug back happily. We get out of the car and grab our bags. I'm about ready to lock up when I remember to grab the video camera.

"Patrick?"

"Yeah?"

"He took my video camera."


Patrick’s POV

My eyes widen, “Shit I-I... shit. I’m so sorry!”

Pete shakes his head, “Don’t worry. We’ve got it on my computer.”

“I am going to worry! That was your video camera! They’re expensive! I... I have one you can have, i-it’s not as good but-”

Pete shakes his head, “Hey, it’s okay. But we will need to use it. In case he decides to start shit, we can play it with yours.”

I bite my lip, “I-I’m so sorry-”

“Patrick, calm down. It’s okay.” he smiles softly and rubs my shoulder.

I blush lightly at his touch, “B-But it’s at my h..shit I have to get my stuff!”

“Alright, well let’s go ahead and get your things, alright?”

I nod, “M-Might as well..”

He nods and changes direction, driving to my house. It’s not my house anymore. When we pull up, mom’s car won’t be there. She won’t be there. Her stuff won’t be there. Gone. I bite my lip and look down until we get there. When he kills the engine he looks to me, putting his hand on my shoulder again.

“You alright, ‘Trick?” he looks to me.

I bite my lip, “I’m...” I sigh and take out my key, “It’s just weird...” I look to the empty driveway.

He nods, “I’ll come in with you..”

I bite my lip and get out of the car, walking up to the door. With shaking hands, I unlock the door. I walk inside and wince instantly. The furniture is gone. The only pictures missing, are the ones excluding me. I walk to my bedroom with Pete and set my guitar on the bed.

“You play guitar?” he asks, impressed.

I shrug, nodding towards the drumset, “I dabble...” I frown, “Guess the drumset is staying...”

“No way! We’ll come back and get it in my dad’s truck!”

“There’s no where to put-”

“You’ll have your own room. You can put it there.” Pete shrugs, “Or we’ll figure it out. Don’t leave it.”

“O-Okay...” I grab a bag and begin stuffing my clothes inside.

“Patrick...there’s a note taped on your door.” he takes it off and hands it to me.

I bite my lip and read my mother’s handwriting.

“Patrick,

First, you need to know why I left. I realized after you left with your friend, that you’re right. I am homophobic, and I do care too much about my image. And you’ve left me down as a son. You’re not the son I wanted. Maybe I expect too much, but now I’m finished. I’m far too tired of trying to make you someone else, and ignoring your flaws. I know you won’t go back with your father, and I don’t blame you. I hope you find somewhere to go, though. In case you need it, there is some money hidden in the freezer. Patrick, I’m not coming back. You won’t be able to contact me either, as I’ve shut off our phones. I’m sorry, but that includes yours as well. I know you’ll be okay, because you may not be the son I expect you to be, but you’re very smart. You’ll figure something out, so I won’t even feel guilty. You may have noticed I left the pictures. I’m sorry, but I couldn’t see your face any longer. You’re welcome to them. I left your room as is, but everything else is gone. I think my leaving will be best for the both of us. I do love you Patrick. I know right now it doesn’t feel like it, and you might never believe it. But I love you.”

I drop the piece of paper, shaking with sobs. She really left, and she doesn’t feel guilty. It’s real, she’s gone. Pete pulls me into a hug.

“Sh-She...” I choke, “Sh-She...”

“I know Patrick, I know... I read it before I showed you.” he hugs tighter, “It’s going to be okay...”

“N-No.” I shake more, “N-No..”

He holds me close, rubbing my back, “Cry all you need, it’s alright. I’ll keep you safe. You’re okay.”

I sniffle and cling to him, “I-I can’t believe I-I’m that much of a disappointment.”


Pete's POV

I hold him tight and feel a few tears fall from my eyes as well. His sobs are getting louder, so I rub his back reassuringly.

"Patrick, you'll be okay. You've got us. My parents will take care of you and it'll just be a really good place to be. They're not homophobic and don't care what you weigh. They just care about love."

"I-I w-want my own mom to l-love me." Patrick whimpers.

I frown and pull away, looking into his eyes. "'Trick, she does love you. She said so in the note. Maybe it doesn't feel like it, but she means it. She's just... afraid. Unjustifiably so. I know this is gonna eat at her horribly. And maybe this is for the best. It won't be much longer till we're out of school. It was about time, and sure it happened a bit earlier than anticipated, but... maybe it's not the end of the world."

"It is to me!" Patrick chokes on a sob and moves to sit down on his bed. He misses it by about an inch and fall to the floor. Before I can help him up, he curls up on his side and just heaves. I sigh and sit next to him, placing my hand on his shoulder. It's a few minutes before he can talk, and when he does, it's hard to understand.

"P-Pete, I...I-m s-sorry for putting y-you through this. don't w-want to have a fucked up life, it just h-happens."

"You can't choose your life. But sometimes you can choose to rely on others who want to help make it better. Now come on."

"Wh-What?" Patrick looks up at me from the floor, rubbing his eyes.

"We need to get out of here. So I'll help you. You just stay there until you can move and until then, I'll get a head start on moving your stuff." With that, I stand and start grabbing things around his room. Patrick manages to sit up and watch me through tear-filled eyes. I grab handful after handful of books, DVD's, and other belongings and take them to my car. When I come back for a third trip, Patrick is still sitting there, but no longer crying.

"Pete, you're an incredible friend. You know that, right?"

"I try to be," I shrug.

"W-Well, it works. You really care. How did I ever think you were a jerk? With your perfect life, perfect family, perfect... self."

"Did you just call me perfect?"

"M-Maybe. I just... I u-um... yeah. You seem like nothing's ever wrong with you. I envy it."

"Patrick, nothing's perfect about me. I'm not really that great a guy. I think I proved that."

"N-No, what you proved was that you're not what I thought about you."

"Which was?"

Patrick shrugs. "Like I said. A jerk. I think you just act like a jerk to try and keep yourself safe."

I shake my head. "Nah, I'm just a bit... aloof."

Patrick shrugs again and smiles slightly. I go over to his bedside table and pick up another stack of books and go to leave his room.

"Just stay there, okay? I've got this." Patrick nods and wipes his eyes.

I go outside and put the books in my car before coming back. As I step into his room, I feel a pair of lips on mine.
Sign up to rate and review this story