Categories > Anime/Manga > Full Metal Alchemist > The Heroes of Amestris

Chapter 9

by Andrea1991 0 reviews

Ed and Roy decide what to do.

Category: Full Metal Alchemist - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Edward Elric,Roy Mustang - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2012-11-27 - Updated: 2012-11-27 - 783 words

1Moving
The next morning Mustang awoke immediately concerned. Edward had been staring at him as he slept; the expression on his face was identical to the one Roy saw as he drifted to sleep. Guilt distorted his features, and he did nothing to hide it.

Roy sat up, ready to proceed with the conversation that he dreaded. Ed was going to tell him that last night was a mistake, that it should have never happened, and it will never happen again. The unspoken words were already forming cracks in his heart, spreading like a web and ready to shatter.

“Look.”

“No, let me say something Roy.” The use of his first name caught him off guard. He allowed his eyes to meet Edward’s. “I’ve had a lot of time to think about this.” Edward paused, collecting his thoughts. “Yesterday. . . what happened. . . it was a mistake. I think we both know that.”

All he could do was nod, still looking him dead in the eyes. I won’t look away from him. I’ll face what I’ve done. Remaining silent, he clenched his fists against the approaching rejection and waited for Ed to speak.

“It should never have happened.”

A muscle twitched in Roy’s jaw, which was locked into place.

“And well, I uh . . . I have to admit I’m a little confused.” Scratching the back of his head, Ed laughed meekly.

Mustang’s face went blank, his mouth forming a big O. “C-Confused?” Memories of the previous day flashed through his mind. It seemed pretty straight-forward to him. Trying to put some emotional distance between them, he decided to use his old military title. “What do you mean, Fullmetal?”

Edward’s face changed again, this time to something Mustang was completely incapable of translating. Muttering something, Ed looked down at his hands in what appeared to be embarrassment.

Clearing his throat, he pushed past his attraction of Ed’s state of vulnerability and tried again. “Fullmetal, you need to speak up.”

“I said you have no idea what it does to me when you call me that!”

Again, Roy was surprised. “Do you not like it?” That’s the point.

“No, I . . . It’s hot.” Edward blurted.

Now it was Mustang’s turn to scratch his head in confusion. Wait a minute. . . Edward blushed profusely, obviously exhilarated by what he had accidentally revealed.

“Are you saying that. . . that you return my feelings?” Mustang asked. A flutter of hope shivered through his chest.

“I mean, I love Winry. I’m just so confused right now.” Shamed, the blonde looked away from him.

Discomfort at the mention of Winry combined with elation inside him. “Ed, it’s ok.”

“Is it? I feel dirty right now. I’ve done wrong to both you and her.”

“You’re not doing anything wrong to me. And believe me, I’m the one that feels dirty.”

Edward raised his eyes to peer at him. “What do you mean?”

“Ed, I . . .” He took a breath. “Never mind.”

“Please tell me.”

Mustang closed his eyes. He knew what he needed to say. What he should say. “You need to marry Winry. And be loyal to her. There’s really nothing to be confused about, Ed. You’re right. Last night was a mistake, and it should have never happened. You’ve just been lonely.”

Roy was purposely building a wall between them, brick by brick. And Winry was the mortar. He could see Edward’s face, but once again was unable to decipher the expression.

“No, you’re right.” Edward looked up, grinning. “It really was just dumb. I’m glad we got on the same page! Now, I’m gonna go to work. Are you ok to stay here on your own? Are you feeling ok now?”

Quietly, defeated, Mustang replied. “Yeah. I’m just fine.”

Roy heard inaudible chatter as Ed moved about the house, picking up this and that to take with him to work. He simply couldn’t listen to Edward’s pretentious babble anymore. It was painful to hear Ed trying to cover up his shame. The door clicked shut, and Mustang was left alone once more.

The thought crossed his mind to go ahead and catch a train, but he knew that would be more of an encumbrance upon Edward than if he stayed. Mustang lay back, staring up at the ceiling. He could still feel the muscles of Ed’s body pressed against him, listening to the husky moans in his ears. And his lips had fit against Roy’s so perfectly.

At least I got that one moment with him. Mustang shut his eyes. Yeah, that’s all I need.
Sign up to rate and review this story