Categories > Celebrities > Beatles > Something

Chapter 10

by BeatleBug 0 reviews

George and Pattie get the test results back.

Category: Beatles - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Characters: George Harrison - Published: 2012-12-12 - Updated: 2012-12-12 - 769 words

0Unrated
George got home and went straight upstairs. He knew Pattie would be crying her eyes out like the first time. He got to the bedroom door and knocked.

“Pattie, I’m home. Can I come in?” he asked. He heard Pattie mumble something like, “Sure,” so he went in. Sure enough, she was in tears. He sat down next to her and let her collapse into his arms again. “It’s alright, Pattie,” he said softly, trying to calm her down, “we can try again.”

“No,” she said.

“What do you mean?” he asked, looking at her. “I’d think you’d want to.”

“I do,” she sighed, “but… I don’t want to be heartbroken again... Maybe later, but not right away. I’m just not ready yet.”

“Alright,” George said, giving her another squeeze.

“Besides… We don’t even know if… I-If…”

“If what?”

“If… If we even can have kids…”

George grew quiet. He started thinking about what the doctor said about the possibility of one of them being infertile and swallowed through his suddenly dry throat.

After a few more moments of silence, Pattie spoke up again. “I thought you were going to stay at work,” she replied softly.

George cleared his throat. “I was, but I ended up telling Paul and he said we all could take the day off.”

“That was nice of him.”

George sighed. “Yeah, it was.”

A few more moments of silence appeared again. “Do you want me to just stay here with you, or to leave you alone?” George questioned. Pattie sighed.

“Do you mind just saying here?” Pattie asked, hoping for him to say he didn’t mind.

“Sure, I’ll stay,” he said, planting a kiss on her forehead.

“Thank you,” Pattie said.

“Anything for you.”

Pattie smiled softly at him and eventually fell asleep in his arms.


~~~

A few weeks passed by when the couple finally got a call saying the test results had come in. George held Pattie’s hand as they walked into the hospital room again with Dr. Johnson. He held the large yellow folder that held the results securely in his arms, as though it were a sacred object.

He uneasily took out the papers and sighed. George could see Pattie cringe slightly through the corner of his eye, and he knew something was wrong.

“I’m sorry,” Dr. Johnson said, “but it appears that you’re infertile, Mrs. Harrison…”

Pattie hung her head in defeat and George’s heart stopped. He looked at his wife, then back at the doctor.

“Fortunately for you, Mr. Harrison… You seem to be as healthy as a horse.”

George grunted a small, “Thank you,” and rubbed Pattie’s back gently. He stopped when she flinched, which surprised him. He knew she was upset, but he thought she’d want his comfort.

As they drove home, Pattie stared out the window in silence. George tried to touch her again, but she flinched away. When they finally reached the house, George stopped the car and looked at her.

“Why are you acting like this?” he asked.

“What do you think?” she grumbled.

“I know, but… I thought you’d want at least a hug or something…”

“I’m fine, thank you.”

George sighed. “Fine. I’ll just leave you in here and wait until you want to come out, alright?” He opened the door and started to get up.

“It wasn’t supposed to be like this,” Pattie said as she turned to him.

“What wasn’t?” George asked.

“You know… All of this… We were supposed to get married and… And start a family… And be happy!” She bit her lip and looked ahead of herself. “And now I fucked everything up…”

George sat back down and successfully hugged her, despite her repeating flinching. “Don’t say that,” he said. “We’ll be alright…”

“Yeah,” she huffed. “You will… I’ll just live the rest of my life as an old lonely maid…”

“Pattie, stop… You have me, don’t you?”

“Yeah, for now…”

“What do you mean by that?”

She went silent again and turned her face toward the rearview mirror.

“Pattie… If you think I’d leave you… I wouldn’t. The thought has never went through my mind…”

“But—“

“No buts. I want you to stop this… Please…”

She hugged her knees to her chest and buried her face. “Just go inside,” she muffled. “Leave me alone for a while…”

George sighed once again. “Alright, as you wish.” He left the car and went inside, leaving Pattie in the car with her doubts.
Sign up to rate and review this story