Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Frozen

The Big City

by WeAreTheFallen 1 review

The group travels into the city, discovering new dangers on their way.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way - Published: 2013-01-16 - Updated: 2013-01-16 - 1405 words

0Unrated
We stay at Gerard’s house for a week and a half. In that time I teach him basic skills on how to survive in the world outside. We also smoke through half the bag of blunts. It’s a nice way to live but we have to keep going. I promised myself I’d make it to New York no matter what.

As the sun rises on our last day, Gerard cooks eggs, bacon and biscuits on the stove. We all figured that a good hearty meal before we set out would be good. Who knows when we’ll be able to eat again.

“Should I wash up the dishes?” Gerard asks standing awkwardly by the sink.

I shrug, “If you feel you need to.”

As he begins to run the water I lead Frank upstairs. We still have a few more things to pack up and I also want to talk to him about our plan of action. It’s not that I don’t want Gerard to be involved I just feel that he doesn’t understand the ways of the world as well as Frank and me.

My best friend puts the remaining stuff in the three backpacks as I sit on the bed looking over our map. Occasionally, Frank will glance up at me before returning to his job.

“What?”

Frank laughs, “Nothing, you just don’t look like yourself.”

I flip him off before sliding onto the floor. We lay the map out over the carpet, drawing out our path to Atlanta. For now we’re planning on following the highway. It will be much faster and there’s less chance we’ll run into anything that might want to eat us. In the event we need food Frank or I will go off into the woods and hunt. Gerard is still not trained enough to be on his own so one of us will have to be with him at all times until he gets the hang of living in the cold.

“I’m hoping we’ll be to the city within the week. We can find hotels along the road to sleep in,” I explain.

“We’ll have to move through part of the night if we want to get there in a week,” Frank observes.

“Maybe we can find a car left on the road.”

Frank glances over at me, “Won’t the liquid inside be frozen by now?”

I frown. I had completely forgotten about that. There’s no point in taking time to hotwire a car if the stuff inside is frozen solid.

Just then Gerard appears in the doorway. He glances between Frank and me before entering the room. “What are you guys talking about?”

“We’re trying to get to the city within the week but it won’t be possible without walking through the night. If we had a car it would only take a few hours in a car but most of them have been sitting for a while and probably won’t run,” Frank explains.

Gerard nods, “I have a car in the garage.”

“Does it have fuel?”

The dark haired boy nods.

“Do you think it’ll run?”

“There’s only one way to find out.”

And with that everyone is getting up off the floor and heading down the stairs. The packs are a little heavier due to the extra water and canned food we took from Gerard’s basement supply. After Gerard collects the car keys we head to the garage.

There, sitting in front of us is a bright red Camaro. For a few minutes Frank and I just stand, rooted to the spot, taking in the automobile in front of us. This is absolutely crazy. Never in my life did I think I would have to chance to be in a car like that.

“Are you serious,” Frank questions, taking the keys from Gerard and unlocking the doors.

“If you don’t like this one we can take the van,” Gerard answers looking a little confused.

“No, this is perfect,” I answer, putting the keys in the ignition. Thankfully, the car engine roars to life.

For a few minutes we just sit there, letting the car warm up. After we’re certain the Camaro isn’t going to shut down on us, Gerard opens the garage door. He gets back in and I begin to pull out.

Then, just like that, we’re on the road.

In order to preserve gas we keep the heat off. The radio is just static so that stays off as well. Frank and Gerard talk about camping trips taken in the woods around the area.

“Have you ever driven before,” Gerard asks.

“I drove all kinds of things,” I answer, turning onto a tramp that will put us onto the highway.

Although we can already see the tall building looming in the distance we still have about two hours until we get to the actual city.

Thankfully, after the weather warning went out, most people stayed inside which means the highway is clear. It’s literally a straight shot from where we are now to the big city.

“So what exactly are we going to do once we get to the city?” Gerard asks.

He’s extremely curious about everything. It seems to me that after his parents left he pretty much just lost touch with what was going on. The snow came and he just assumed it was that time of the year. It wasn’t until he noticed that no one was moving around next door and that his parents never came home that he realized something wasn’t quite right. He said he learned most things off of the internet but I don’t entirely believe him. The internet has been out since the second month.

“We’re hoping to get some new winter gear. Yours won’t last long and ours is starting to wear out. There’s a good store in the city. Maybe we can find a place to stay for a little bit, perhaps even pick up another car to make the journey to New York a little shorter,” I explain.

“What about the military?”

“The military?”

“They drive through in big cars. I think they’re looking for people but I’m not sure,” Gerard answers. “They drove through my neighborhood the night before you guys showed up. I can only imagine that they’re heading towards the city as well.”

This worries me. What if we run into them? I’m sure you just can’t look at the military and tell them you don’t want to go with them. If we get caught that will slow us down immensely. I don’t even know what they’d do to us.

“We’ll just have to be on guard,” Frank answers.

He glances over at me, placing his hand on my knee. He can obviously see that I’m in distress.

For the rest of our drive everyone is quiet, mentally preparing for what could be ahead.

We all decide it will be better to try and park in some kind of garage. We don’t know if the military has been through here before. The last thing we want is for one of them to see a new car and begin to search for us.

Eventually we find an apartment complex with a parking garage. I pull into the first spot we find, shutting the engine off. The boys grab their bags, Frank handing me mine. Together we head towards the door at the other end of the garage.

“If anyone hears any kind of car coming you have to let the others know. None of us are going to get caught,” I announce before pushing the door open and entering the carpeted hallway.

As we walk I can hear footsteps. My pace quickens, hand curling around the knife I keep in a holster on my hip. Motioning for the others to be on guard we turn the corner. We come face to face with a girl.


Author's Note: Hope you all enjoy :). Remember to R&R. Oh and btw: here's Rain http://creativefan.com/important/cf/2012/07/highlights-for-black-hair/head-color.jpg
If you want a picture of your character as their introduced please either let me know and I'll find one or leave a link in your comment.
Sign up to rate and review this story