Categories > Original > Drama > Chicana

BK

by sickly_ill 0 reviews

“It should be obvious.” Marcelino lifts his head and looks me in the eye. I can't read his expression.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2013-03-06 - 1959 words

0Unrated
I head downstairs and get out some ingredients for beef and cheese burritos. As I'm making them Armando walks into the kitchen. “What are you making?” He sniffs the air.
“Beef and cheese burritos.” I smile.
“They smell hella good.” He smiles. Then Marcelino walks into the kitchen.
“Yeah, they do.” We stand in silence for a moment.
“Hey, Marcelino,” Armando starts, “I'm moving out today. Will you help me get some shit moved? I just have a dresser, bed, and book shelf. I'll be going shopping later for some more furniture. And, Raquel, I was hoping you'd help me with that. You've always had better taste in furniture than I ever did.” He chuckles.
“Yeah, sure.” I shrug.
“What time are we doing this? I've gotta work later tonight.”
“I was thinking around four. Have everything moved by five thrity.” Armando suggests.
“Yeah, okay. I gotta work at six.”
“Well, It's three thrity. Eat before you go.” I place a plate of six burritos infront of them. They dig in and are out the door by three forty-five.
“We'll be back later.” Armando says as I'm wiping down the counters in the kitchen.
“Okay,” I wave them out and I'm left alone. But I don't know what to do. I decide that I need a trip to the mall would be good for me. It'll get me walking. Maybe I can look for some things for the baby. I grab my purse and head out.

At the mall I find a baby store. Inside are cribs, strollers, clothes, shoes, etc. I look around and see that most of the women in here are older than I am. I feel a little out of place. I even get dirty looks from some of them. I just browse about uncomfortably. Then a woman walks up to me. “Can I help you find anything?” She smiles wide, which makes me smile.
“Just browsing about. I don't really know much about this stuff.” I motion about the store.
“You're first?” The lady grins with glee. I can see something sparkle in her eyes.
“Uh, yeah.” I smile awkwardly.
“How far along?” She asks.
“Three and a half months.” I smile and touch my stomach gingerly.
“Oh, yay!” The lady smiles and claps, and I hear the jingle of her lanyard and name tag. She works here. “Well, what you'll need is a crib for sure. Have you started on the nursery?”
“Does clearing out a room for a nursey count?” I ask.
“Of course! That's progress!” She seems so enthusiatic. I'm liking her already. “What's the sex?”
“A boy.” I smile. She beams.
“We have great blues and neutral colors if the traditional baby blue doesn't work for you.” She leads me to a tall and wide shelf full of paint samples. I look at all the various colors.
“This light seafoam green looks good.” I say as I imagine it on the walls of my old room.
“Oooh! Yes! That's a good choice.”
By the time Tory finishes with me, I leave with pamphlets and organizers on everything about pregnancy and nesting, new born baby clothes, a tub, and ideas for the furnishings.
I head to some more stores and buy myself some more cute maternity clothes. Then I hear my phone ring. Marcelino is calling. “Hey,” I smile.
“Where are you?” I can hear the panic in his voice.
“Don't worry, I'm at the mall.” I try to reassure him.
“With who?”
“With myself. Well, not technically. I have the baby in me.” I make a funny, but I only hear myself laughing. I hear him sigh. I think in relief.
“I got home and you weren't here. I just got worried after you didn't come back after ten minutes.” I roll my eyes. “Come home, now.”
“You can't boss me around.” I defend. I'm not done shopping.
“Yes I can. And you will do what I say.” Marcelino says.
“Look, I'm fine. I just wanted to get out of the house. I can take care of myself.” I don't give Marcelino time to respond as I hang up and walk into Victoria's Secret.

I get home around six. Marcelino is nowhere to be found, and I assume Armando is at his new apartment. But Dad is home. “Where have you been?” He asks from the couch where he's reading sports.
“I went to the mall.” I put down my bags. “And, Daddy, I found the cutest things for the baby!!” I smile.
“Really?” His eyes gleam and he grins. I show him everything, and we start on ideas for the nursery.
“Have you guys' discussed names yet?” Dad asks. The thought had slipped my mind.
“Uh, no. But we'll get around to it.” I smile.
“I was thinking Luis. Or Cristobal.” My dad suggests.
“Cristobal seems good.” I smile.

I make chicken paninis with a side of egg salad and some left over menudo. Dad eats two plates, I eat two as well. I'm cleaning up when Marcelino walks in. He looks stressed and not very happy. I furrow my brows at him. But he doesn't even acknowledge me as he heads upstairs. He's obviously still mad about earlier. I just sigh and finish cleaning as I hear the shower run.
I go upstairs and change for bed when I hear the shower stop. I'm brading my hair for bed when Marcelino comes in. He doesn't say anything as he puts on some boxers and flannel pajama bottoms. Then, he takes his pillows and leaves the room. I furrow my brows. He's never not slept with me. Not even when he lived with his family.
I go downstairs and watch Marcelino make a bed on the couch. I clear my throat and softly say, “Marcelino.” He glances at me and then takes a seat on his “bed” for the night. He sighs heavily. His muscular back is to me. He holds his head in his hands. I walk around and sit across from him on the coffee table. “Marcelino,” I repeat.
“What, Raquel?” He keeps his head in his hands. He never responds to me like this.
“Are you okay?”
“No.”
“Well, tell me what's wrong.” I suggest.
“It should be obvious.” Marcelino lifts his head and looks me in the eye. I can't read his expression.
“Well, you can't demand me. You aren't my boss or master or anything else like that.” I say. “I can't recall a time I've demanded you before.”
“That's not what I'm mad about.”
“Then tell me.”
“Raquel, I just need some space to think.” He sighs. I just nod and leave. I lay in my empty and cold bed. I think about everything. I think about nothing. I just think until I finally give in to sleep.

In the morning, I wake to nobody by my side. I go to the top of the staircase and see Marcelino's already gone. I sigh. Should I take him some lunch? Yes, I think I'll do that.
I take a shower and get all pretty. Curled hair, minimal make-up, coral pink sundress, white sandals, and my bracelet Marcelino got me.
I make him a sub consisting of peperonni, smoked ham, swiss cheese, letuce, avocado, and tomatoes. With a side of original chicken noodle soup, with a Gatorade. I pack it all up and head to panaderia. I walk in and smell the sweet bread. I tall, dark Mexican greets me. “Hola, muneca.” He smiles at me.
“Hola. Esta Marcelino?” I ask. He nods and yells for Marcelino. I see him emerge in a white apron powdered in flour. He looks a little pleased to see me.
“Hey,” he says as he comes up to me.
“Uh, hey.” I bite my lip. Then remember why I was here. “I brought you some lunch. It's nothing big.” I hand him his lunch.
“Thanks.” He smiles slightly. But I note that he doesn't use “babe” or “baby”, but at least he smiled...somewhat. I sigh.
“I hate you being mad at me.” I frown and wring my hands together.
“I don't like being mad at you either. Pero, you have to understand my point of view. I was worried sick.” I sigh again and look down at my hands. I feel Marcelino's finger lift my chin. I look into his eyes.
“I'm sorry.” I whisper.
“Me too.” He says. He kisses me lightly and softly. I melt. He presses his forehead against mine.
“When do you get off tonight?” I ask.
“Seven.”
“I'll have something prepared by then.” I smile. He grins.
“And that's why I love you.” I giggle. “Now, get back home. And be there when I get there. I don't wanna rehash this at home.”
“Agreed.” I kiss him. He turns to walk away and I slap his fine ass. He jumps at the sudden display of sexual affection. I laugh. He shakes his head with a smile.

Back at home, I sit in the nursery. I've taped the sample of light seafoam green to the wall. It looks good. I imagine the crib to my right, where my bed was. The changing table at the window. Play pen and dresser to my left. A rocker in the corner with a nightstand filled with baby books. I rub my belly. “I can't wait for you to be with us.” I say. I walk out of the room and feel sleepy. I head to my bed and sleep.

I wake with Marcelino rubbing my back. “Hey, baby.” He smiles. I yawn and stretch. Oh, shit!
“Oh, I forgot to make dinner.” I'm about to get up, but Marcelino puts a hand on my shoulder.
“I got some BK on the way.” I smile in relief. He just stares into my eyes.
“Hey, when I went to the mall, I got some baby stuff.” I smile. Marcelino just furrows his brows. I get up and pull out the bags from the closet. I lay everything out on the bed. “Tory, the lady at the baby store, told me she could help us with everything we'd need for the nursery. And getting clothes too.
“Really?” Marcelino picks up a small onesie from the bed that reads, “I love my mommy.”
“Yeah. She was really excited for us. She even gave me info on all the best quality stuff for the baby. Like the crib and all that.” I smile. But Marcelino doesn't seem as excited as I am. “What's wrong?” I ask.
“It's just...” He sighs. “This is all happening so fast.” He rubs his face.
“We can wait. I was just curious.” I say. “Here, I'll put this away. Till you're ready.” I start to gather everything and put it back in the bag, “We can even return it.”
Marcelino's hand grabs my wrist. “No, don't.” He pleads. “I'm just scared. That's all.” He swallows hard.
“I know you are. So am I.” I grab his hands and hold them in mine.
“But I know how excited you are. And I don't wanna ruin that.”
“No, you don't get it. We need to be on the same page in order to move forward. And right now we're not.” I say.
“But now thinking about it. We should start prepping everything.” He nods. Then I see his face glow as he grins. Full of sincerity and love.
“I was thinking of the name Adelio.” He suggests. “Now, it's just a suggestion. We don't have to name him that.”
“No, that's a great name.” I smile. “But how about we put this off until tomorrow. I'm staving. And pregnant women need to eat. A lot.” I smile.
“Okay, then.” Marcelino nods and we head downstairs to eat some BK.
Sign up to rate and review this story