Categories > Theatre > Rent > Songbook of Roger Davis

Santa Fe Sunset

by Blaze_of_Glory 0 reviews

Roger Tries to find Inspiration for a new song, his attempts are leading him to thoughts he thought he'd left behind.

Category: Rent - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Collins, Roger - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2005-06-10 - Updated: 2005-06-10 - 400 words

0Unrated
Santa Fe Sunset


Breathing in the deep spicy scented air of La Boehm Roger set back to work on his newest song. This song was the very essence of Mark. He wished none of this had ever happened. He looked past the yellow and orange plastered walls and out the large gleaming windows at the passing crowds. If it hadn't been for that party, none of it would...but then he would have never met Mimi. Mimi...even now he still wondered...

"NO...Its over, she gone, get over it."

He shivered, interrupting his own dangerously cryptic thoughts.

"No, I cant think about her right now...not today."

He leaned back in his chair and set back to the task of finishing the song, he had to finish this tonight. Only one more verse. This was the easier part. he knew all he had to do was get it out. He'd already been in the restaurant all morning, it was now mid-afternoon. Nobody ever bothered him. This they had learned not to do very quickly. Several times Collins had come over to talk, but he hadn't gotten much out of him and simply left with a "It'll be great Roger, You'll see."

Roger looked around the bright, sunny room smiling at Collins reassurance, the thought of being great

"Yeah, it'll be great."

An hour later he was back in the apartment sitting on the faded and worn couch with the fender in his lap, surrounded by sheet music some of which he had crumpled in frustration, the rest sitting in neat stacks on the coffee table. The notes just wouldn't come out right. Sure he could write the lyrics but the music always got to him.

/"I can do this...I have to."/

He was talking to himself more than anything. With Mark gone, he lived alone. Sure Collins was just downstairs, but it wasn't the same. Thinking of Mark his mind set to the sound of his camera and its gentle "WHIRRRRRRR"..

"Maybe...that might work"

He set the fender back up in his lap properly and started to rip out notes that reminded him of that annoying camera. He couldn't help but sigh as he thought about the camera that was collecting dust on the closet shelf. He glanced out the window and looked at the Santa Fe sky...the title came to him then..

Santa Fe Sunset.
Sign up to rate and review this story