Categories > Original > Horror > A Demon Sleeps in a Blender

The First Day of School

by Kellyconcarne 0 reviews

It's Alice's first day at Grinsville Junior High and let's face it, there's nothing more horrible then the first day as a new student in a new school.

Category: Horror - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Horror, Humor - Published: 2006-07-31 - Updated: 2006-08-01 - 2809 words

0Unrated
A Demon Sleeps in the Blender
By: Kellyconcarne

Author's Note: It's been far too long hasn't it, my fellow creatures? I apologize. You've probably picked up by now that I am not exactly quick on updating this story but that comes from being a full time student and also looking for inspiration. I was having trouble finding direction for this story but now that I've discovered it, I'm back to continue with devious vigor. I've found that a lot of people have read this and grown addicted and I'm thrilled people are in love with my writing that much. It's all I could ask for, thank you so much. Now, please, continue to read and as always, REVIEEEEEEEEEEEWWWW. It's like crack, I need it. Now, I'm going to shut up and give you what you came here for, the next chapter...

Chapter 4
The car rolled down the hill, departing the dark ominous feel of the mansion, and brought Alice and her father to the thin road which led to Grinsville, a haven of social normality. As Alice's father carefully steered the car around the curves of the unnaturally small road, Alice sat in the back brooding.

"Dad, this place is going to be awful, do you have to take me there?!" She grumbled. Matthew sighed and bargained with the angry 12-year old,

"Alice, please, it's not that bad."

"How would you know?" She retaliated, as the car ran over rocks causing her to bounce around,

"You're not even going to go there."

"Because I have magical brain powers beyond your comprehension and my brain powers tell me you'll be fine." He argued, glancing at her through the rear-view mirror and wiggling his eyebrows jokingly.

"Then you need a lobotomy." Alice sneered and folded her arms. The car meanwhile pulled to a stop on the side of the intersecting street where Alice was supposed to wait for the bus, but she didn't move to get out.

"Would you rather have Charlotte home school you?" Her father offered, his tone growing more threatening. Alice quickly opened the door and stepped out, slamming it behind her. She slung her backpack over her shoulders as she watched her father drive away, sticking his hand out to wave good-bye as he left her to wait for the bus.

After 15 minutes of waiting and pondering of running to the nearest arcade to spend her day in a more fruitful way, the bus arrived, flying around the corner at a ridiculous speed. It screeched to a halt, and the doors opened with a hiss. The bus driver, an exhausted crabby woman with dark circles beneath her eyes from years of dealing with kids and early morning routes, glared at her.

"You're new, aren't you?" She snapped. But before Alice could respond, she suddenly barked, "Well get on the bus already! We're running late, jeez!"
Alice obeyed and climbed onto the bus. Instantly all eyes were on her. The children on the bus stared at her like she was naked or a disease. No one smiled at her or said hello, they just watched her. Alice stood there for a moment before the driver turned her head and screamed over her shoulder to sit down. She quickly hurried to the back and took an empty seat, sliding next to the window. The bus lurched forward and caused Alice to slam the side of her head against the window. She rubbed the side of her head and noticed all the children sitting next to the window had pillows. Since nobody bothered to tell her that riding the bus would give her brain damage, she was stuck, smacking her head against the window repeatedly.

To make her headache worse, she watched in horror as Kimmy boarded the bus a few stops later. Kimmy looked around with a grin on her face for a place to sit when she suddenly spotted Alice. She waved her hands over her head and screeched, "ALICEEEE," before rushing towards the back. Immediately, she tripped over 5 backpacks, making her smack her face into the floor but she got up quickly, only to trip over another backpack. This repeated on for a while as the children found it quite amusing or were too busy to realize that their heavy bags were a safety hazard. Eventually she reached the seat and slid next to Alice, who turned her head away in disgust and in hopes of bludgeoning her head so much she would bleed to death.

"Are you nervous, Alice? You're going to be fine! I'll show you around Grinsville Junior High and we'll be in all of the classes together. You can sit next to me! And we'll have lots of fun!" She gushed excitedly.

"Oh joy abounds." Alice remarked sarcastically, as her face smacked against the cold glass. "Does this lady always drive THIS bad?" Kimmy nodded, her big smile plastered onto her face. "Yep, but its fun! We usually just swing back and forth with it. It's like a roller coaster ride!"

Ms. Zadim, the bus driver, was one of many who were stuck with the horrible job of being a school bus driver. Screaming kids and poor pay were only part of their suffering. In order to get the children to school on time, it was required that they begin their day very early. To keep herself from falling asleep and crashing the bus or sending it flying off a cliff, Ms. Zadim would drink about 2 full pots of coffee before going to work. Unfortunately, a side effect of so much caffeine in a small amount of time was that she would get very shaky, so shaky in fact that her arms would jerk back and forth causing to the bus to be constantly swerving. She was responsible for countless damages to mailboxes, street signs, joggers, dogs, cats, houses, and other cars. But at least the children were safe, which was the main priority of the school.

The bus arrived at Grinsville Junior High after the right side of Alice's face was completely bruised and numb. She followed Kimmy off the bus and stared up at the large, light and dark brown brick building which stretched horizontally like a pair of arms as the horizontal wings were only a story tall and the large building was 3 stories tall. It was as if the school was a person offering a hug, a very cold hard conforming hug. Kids were running around greeting one another and walking into the building eagerly. Alice looked around and noticed something very peculiar, all of the children wore or carried things that had "Grinsville Junior High" stamped on it. Every single child had something that had the school's name and a huge smiley face on it, from backpacks to sweatshirts.

"Does everyone here have some obsession with the school?" Alice asked Kimmy, watching the kids with a bewildered look. Kimmy shrugged with a giggle and rationalized, "Well they are really serious about school spirit. Everyone is supposed to wear as much stuff that has the school's name on it. The principal demands that we show as much spirit for the school as we can! After all..." She straightened herself up, placed a fist over her heart and declared in a low masculine voice,

"Grinsville Junior High is a school that not only enforces education and discipline, but enforces smiling as well!"

She lowered her hand and grinned, "Or at least that's what the principal says." Kimmy turned and started walking into the school with Alice walking next to her. Alice looked Kimmy up and down carefully, not noticing anything with "Grinsville Junior High" written on her. Finally she asked, "So where's your school stuff?"

Kimmy cackled mischievously before she answered, "My bumper sticker was destroyed... when the car exploded. It turns out that the neighborhood kids were lying when they told me my pet rabbit could drive a car."

Alice didn't bother to ask and picked up the pace, hurrying into the building, hoping the door would hit Kimmy in the face and she would be saved from this girl who was becoming steadily more and more disturbing. Of course it didn't and Kimmy quickly caught up with her. Kimmy grabbed her hand and yanked her down the hall which was brimming with students of all ages. The 5th graders walked around looking absolutely petrified, some of them even had wet spots on the front of their pants. The 6th graders ran down the hall quickly to avoid getting pummeled while the 8th graders were doing what 8th graders do best- joyfully tormenting the 5th and 6th graders for no other reason except that they were the oldest ones in the school. Some knocked piles of books out of the kids' hands to the ground then gave wedgies. Others stuffed kids into lockers with snakes and rats. The worst was when they would take away the Grinsville Junior High accessories the younger students had and destroy them before declaring throughout the whole school that these kids had no school spirit which would leave the kids instantly ignored and shunned. After all, if a student at Grinsville Junior High had no school spirit, they might as well have an incurable disease!

And what were the 7th graders doing amidst all of this chaos? Whispering to one another, exchanging gel pens, and ratting out to the 8th graders where the younger ones were hiding. After years of abuse, the 7th graders were pretty used to whatever the 8th graders could dish out so they were left alone since there's nothing more wholesomely amusing than watching a kid scream and cry in humiliation. Alice stared back at the sea of scattered shame and school drama that Kimmy had just led her through unharmed. The peppy pig-tailed girl turned to her, "So what do you think so far?"

"I can feel the smiling school spirit flowing into me." She responded sarcastically, staring for a moment longer before following Kimmy down the hall to their classroom. Inside the classroom was more chaos, although this was considerably smaller. Paper airplanes glided through the air as kids ran from desk to desk, chatting with their friends over god knows what. She saw Kimmy who was busy putting away things at her desk, if you care to define shoving papers and books into the desk like pushing a stubborn goat through a gate as "putting away", and quickly joined her. Kimmy grinned at her and grabbed her by the wrist before she hurried to the teacher who was sitting at her desk in the front of the classroom reading a magazine on dish washers, although no one can really imagine why anyone would find that the least bit interesting.

"Ms. Leonard! Alice Fooge is here! She's a
new student, it's her first day!" Kimmy called to her teacher, who was still behind the magazine.

"Oh really? I didn't know we were getting a new student." The teacher responded in a rather bored tone, not lowering her magazine. Alice decided to speak up for herself as she pried her wrist from Kimmy's death-like grip,

"Surely, I must be on the list. I was told they were putting me in your class, Ms. Leonard. Didn't you get any kind of memo?"

"Eh, maybe. I don't know, I don't really read the memos, they're boring." Ms. Leonard shrugged behind the magazine. "Well just wait here at the front of the class until class starts, then you can introduce yourself, Amy."

Alice was about to correct her, but she was interrupted by the ringing bell that announced that another boring day at school had begun. Kimmy hurried back to her seat and smiled a big confident smile at Alice, who grinned back weakly. All of the students took their seats and waited. About 5 minutes passed before the teacher finally spoke from behind her magazine, "Is it time for class?"

Alice stared at her in disbelief before she managed out, "Yes. It started 5 minutes ago." The teacher sighed and lowered her magazine, revealing her head. She had curly hair that formed over her head like a helmet and huge glasses which make her eyes look extremely small. She also had unusually small lips for a person; they looked like a mark on her face more than an actual pair. She pursed her lips together which made them look practically invisible. "Well today we apparently have a new student. Why don't you introduce yourself...or something?" She asked as she reclined in her seat.

Alice shifted back and forth, feeling nervous, exposed- in short, awkward. Sadly, there is nothing short about awkward moments. Life is undeniably full of awkward moments, moments when you wonder how in the name of God you ended up in this situation in the first place and how long until it ends. Some of these moments include telling the doctor about a nasty rash in a very private place or asking someone to prom, having a miserable time and ending up sitting next to them 3 weeks later at some event. Running into an ex boyfriend or girlfriend is pretty bad, and walking in on a relative stark naked is worse, not to mention mentally scarring. Unfortunately, Alice was in the mother of all awkward moments-being introduced to a class as a new student.

"Well," she began slowly, "my name is Alice Fooge."

"Fooge?" A student interrupted her, as if they didn't believe that she could possibly have this silly of a last name.

"Fooge." Alice responded with a nod before she continued with her awkward speech, "I'm 12 years old. My birthday is on October 24th. I'm...um an only child but I have a black cat named 'Doom'. I live with my dad and my step-mom, Charlotte." She paused for a moment and realized they were still giving her the blank stares so she carried on. "I like to draw and read. I don't play any sports, I don't like them. I love horror movies. My favorite is 'Night of the Living Dead', it's really cool because it's gory and..."

Kimmy cut in with a shrill cry, "Tell them where you live!!" All of the children suddenly looked at her with interest rather than plain brain dead activity. Alice cleared her throat and sighed before she spoke, "I live in my great uncle Sebastian's house. It's the big dark house in the middle of the woods; it's kind of on the outskirts of the city."

"You live THERE?! There are all sorts of scary things that go on there!" A girl cried out, shivering.

"I hear it's got ghosts! They say the guy who owned it was insane!" Another student chimed in. "Have you seen any ghosts?"

Alice was taken back, "Uh no, and the guy wasn't crazy, he was my great uncle. Actually the house isn't that scary, I think it's really cool. I like it." Alice admitted.

"EW! You're a freak! You're just like your crazy uncle! I bet you're going to do weird experiments and stuff on there! I'm not going over there, not in a million years." A girl sneered, her small group of friends giggled.

"Look, it's not that bad, really. It's actually rather beautiful inside." Alice argued.

The girl curled her lip and sighed in disgust, "Whatever. Anyone who thinks that house is nice is a freak of nature. That place is weird and I hear people have died in it. That guy was a nutcase." Her friends nodded and murmured in agreement.

Alice glared at her, now really annoyed. This girl was asking for it. "That man was my uncle Sebastian. He wasn't a psycho, he was just different."

"You mean weird and sick like you." The snotty girl retorted as her friends cackled.

Now Alice was searching around for something to throw at this girl. A chair, the teacher- anything would suffice so long as it shut her up. But as she was at a loss of projectile objects, she went with something else. "You know, maybe you're right, maybe I am a sick crazy person like my uncle. Maybe I'll show up under your bed in the middle of the night." She whispered cryptically as she crept towards the girl and her friends, her hands raised. "And then maybe I'll steal all of your makeup and use it on myself." Her voice grew louder which each word. "And then maybe, I'll drag you out of bed by your braces and take you back to my house and make you have a SLEEP OVER WITH ME!!" She bellowed with an eerie cackle. The girls burst into screaming and ran out of the room while Alice chased after them, cackling like a witch. When she was sure they were gone, she came back into the room with a satisfied smile,

"Any questions?"


Sign up to rate and review this story