Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Skinny Love

Lingering Fingertips

by wayuphighify 5 reviews

Ryan flinches to the touch, eyes staying closed but lids fluttering slightly.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2013-04-23 - 2470 words

3Ambiance
A/N SORRY it took so long. School has been kicking my sorry ass :( and so have the other fics I'm working on. Ah.

-

Ryan stops at the grocery store to pick up some microwavable soup for Spencer. Spencer has been sick all week, and he figures he'll be out tomorrow, Friday, too.

Once Ryan gets in the house, he welcomes himself in. “Hello, family.” He says as he walks into the kitchen.

“Oh shocker, Ryan's here.” Mrs. Smith teases, then patting him on the back. “'s good to see you.”

“You too.” He smiles as he puts together the soup and puts it in the microwave. “How's Spencer been?”

“Sick. He'll be fine in a few days I'm sure. Just don't get too close to him, okay?”

“Yeah, no problem.”

“Spencer's upstairs in his room. I'm sure he'll be happy to see you.”

Ryan grabs the soup from the microwave and smiles.“Thanks,” He says halfheartedly.

Spencer, surely, isn't looking to well. His blue eyes have lost some light with the dark bags that are under them, and his flushed cheeks standing out even in the dark lightened room. The room even smells like sick, there being tissues and water bottles lying around everywhere. Ryan feels ill just standing in here.

“Hey,” Ryan sits down in Spencer's desk chair, “bought you some soup.”

“Woah, because I haven't had any of that the past few days,” Spencer replies in a mocking tone.

“I'll gladly eat it for you.” Ryan deadpans.

They smile at each other for a second until Spencer gladly takes it.

“So what have I been missing?” Spencer asks. “Anyone arrested?”

Ryan laughs at that insincerely then tenses his jaw. “Alex Turner should get arrested.”

“Alex isn't that bad.” Spencer mutters as he takes another spoonful.

“Sickness has gotten to your brain. 'Cos he totally beat the shit out of Urie today.”

“Brendon Urie? Why? He's kinda shy, I don't see what he would do wrong.” Spencer sits up more and leans in, curious on what Ryan has to say.

Shy my ass, Ryan thinks.

Ryan huffs. “You know Brendon... likes guys?”

“Yeah, dude he's been out for like two years.”

“Well apparently that's enough to make Alex mad.”

Spencer furrows his brows. “Alex never goes for the other gay people. I though he was friends with some of them.”

“What?”

“Yeah. You know Justine? He's friends with her.”

Ryan thinks for a moment. “Maybe he is into lesbians. A lot of guys would die to see chicks making out.”

“Guilty.” Spencer laughs then coughs. “He's also friends with you.”

Ryan smirks. “I'm not gay.”

“You're not out either. But you're not necessarily in the closet.”

Ryan narrows his eyes.

“Dude, we go to a concert and by the end of the night you were shoving your hand down an older guy's pants that you still don't know the name of.”

Wow. Yeah, that happened.

He was desperate.

“He wasn't old, like, twenty-three at most.” Ryan reiterates. “And I just don't care about the gender in which I lay my hands on. And I do favor woman more often.”

“Liar.” Spencer says with a spoonful of chicken-noodle in his mouth. “I'm kidding. Touch whatever genitals you want, but spare me the details.”

Ryan sighs contently and stretches his back in Spencer's chair.

“So how's your dad?”

“Best not to ask.” He replies flatly.

“Have you been alright? Like-”

“I had one today. During lunch in the bathroom.”

Spencer frowns, showing sorrowful eyes. “Why?”

“He called me and h-he,” Ryan takes a breath, “yeah.”

“The problem is, now Brendon came in, and I think he knows. Spence, he basically knows my whole life. And that kid is a loud mouth.”

“I'm sorry you experienced that again, Ry.” That's all Spencer could manage. He has always felt sorry for his friend, and has always wanted to help with his adversities. Problem is, Ryan doesn't accept help at all, and when he does, Ryan quickly changes his mind about any step they almost take.

“It's fine. He's alright... He came in, and like, calmed me down.”

“Glad it was him if it wasn't me,” Spencer mutters. “You need to know that everyone isn't a bad person.”

Ryan thinks for a moment, Spencer's words echoing inside his head. “Yeah.”

“Are you scared to go home tonight? Want to stay here?”

Ryan considers it but decides not to. “You're sick, you deserve a good sleep. I'll come and see you tomorrow.”

“Okay.” Spencer frowns.

-

Ryan gets home and his fathers car is already in the driveway. He takes a deep breath and leans back in the driver seat.

He manages to go into the house haphazardly, hearing nothing but his shoes against the floor.

“So, where did you go?” The raspy voice says around the corner. Ryan flinches and turns towards it.

“I went to visit Spencer. He's sick.” Ryan knows that's not a good answer.

His father grunts. “You have a job, a responsibility. You need to learn to take charge for your actions.”

Fuck, he's screwed.

“I need to teach you these lessons,” the man says, taking steps closer to Ryan. He tries to back away, more and more until soon his back is to the stairs.

“Please don't. I'm sorry- I-” Ryan takes a step to the stairs but his father grabs him quickly.

Ryan is cut off by a rough grab around his arm, nails digging into his skin. “No-” He tries.

Ryan is thrown onto the floor immediately, hitting his head hard against the bottom step. His head spins, wishing it was over. Tears well into his eyes, not surprised this is happening again. It's routine. He isn't sure on whether his head is bleeding or not, but he doesn't have time to come to a conclusion by the strong kick going to his side.

“You have never learned how to be the man you are supposed to be,” his father slurs, surely some spit coming out of his mouth.

“I've tried to make you tough,” He kneels down next to Ryan, wrapping his hands around the tired and helpless boy who can barely hold his eyes open. Ryan blinks, trying to keep himself from going unconscious. He grabs the hand that's wrapped around his neck, pulling at it forcibly and kicking his legs, doing whatever he can to defend himself. He's about to pass out with lack of air, the world going black.

“I'll do whatever I have to in order to make you a man,”

That's the last thing Ryan hears before he is out.

-

Ryan's not at school the next day. This worries Brendon, because he seemed fine last night. He was sure he'd be seeing him today.

He can't help but feel suspicious about Ryan and his life, the way he keeps everything hidden and avoids talking about it.

He leaves during his study hall second period to go to Ryan's.

Ryan's house isn't hard to find, it different from many houses around him. He pulls into the driveway and his car is there making Brendon slightly relieved but at the same time more nervous.

There is no sign of activity outside the house, so he knocks on the door but it doesn't get answered.

“Ryan? Open up.” He says firmly.

Nothing.

“I'm gonna open the door,” he warns, turning the door nob and opening it to see something he didn't expect, but should've.

Ryan is lying on his side motionless, and a small spot of dried blood coming from the back of his head. Brendon rushes up next to him, leaving the door open behind him.

“Ryan, fuck, wake up,” Brendon begs and puts his hand on Ryan's arm, voice shaking. “Ryan,” he repeats, picking up his body. Ryan flinches to the touch, eyes staying closed but lids fluttering slightly.

“It's me, Brendon, open your eyes.”

“The-” Ryan breathes, “the light hurts.” Is all he wants to say. Ryan's head is spinning even though he's not moving, and he is so confused as to what is going on.

Brendon has never been more relieved to hear a voice. He rubs his arm soothingly.

“What do you want me to do?” Brendon asks, not knowing if he should pick him up and take him to the hospital.

“I'll be fine, just- leave.”

Brendon tuts. “I open the door to you lying on the floor with blood and you not moving. I'm taking you upstairs.”

“Nph.”

“Can you get up?” He asks nicely, voice calm as he brushes Ryan's bangs out of his eyes. He notices his eyes, and gets out his phone and turns the back light on, shining it in his eyes.

“The fuck?” Ryan says.

Ryan feels the tips of cool finger tips against him and sighs, leaning up in the slightest and using his arms to hold himself up because his torso can't do it itself. That's all he can really do though.

“I'm really sore,” Ryan says, voice scratchy.

Brendon thinks for a moment. “I'm taking you to the doctor.”

Ryan tries to laugh but it just hurts him. “You can't.”

“Dude, chill.” Brendon shakes his head, “So you can't walk huh?” He wraps one arm around Ryan's torso and the other under his legs.

“I really hurt my ribs... something happened to my knees- I don't-”

He pulls him up , and Ryan's head throbs and he closes his eyes to the exposure of light as he carries him out. Ryan curls into Brendon's chest the best he could, even though he's much smaller than him.

“Okay, we've reached the car, get in.”

Ryan does as follows, whole body shaking.

Brendon forgets about the rest of his classes for the day, hoping that he isn't missing out on much.

The whole way there, Ryan's babbling mindless things to Brendon. He looks over to him when he starts to quiet, “Don't sleep,” he grazes his hand on Ryan's elbow. The contact making Ryan's eyes stay open.

He's been holding back on asking Ryan how this happened. The stairs- maybe. A person- he hopes not.

Once they get there they are admitted after a while, the doctor doing various tests on Ryan who is completely silent.

“We're going to give him a cat scan,” The doctor says, “all the insurance is luckily on file under Miranda O'Malley.”

“Mom,” Ryan says. Brendon nods once.

Ryan hasn't seen his mom in years, but she's responsible for the costs that his father refuses to pay.

The cat scan made Ryan nervous, but they have concluded Ryan does have a concussion, bad enough that he should basically be kept in a darkness. Not really going to happen though, so he was mainly just told to don't look into bright lights.

Ryan sits on the weird bed, and Brendon in one of the seats, waiting for the doctor to tell about the x-rays that Ryan had to go in for.

“I'm sorry for ruining your day,” Ryan finally utters, once he's in his right mind.

“You didn't. I got to miss an English test.” Brendon smiles, “How are you feeling?”

“Less shitty.”

“Good.” Brendon grins, staring at Ryan in his weird hospital robe.

The doctor finally walks in with the x-rays.

“Luckily, Ryan, nothing's broken.” Dr. Figgan announced, holding up the x-rays. “But you're definitely bruised, especially on your sides. We have pills ready for you at the counter.”

“Thank you,” Ryan sighed. He really just wants to go home and take a nap.

“May I asked what happened?”

Ryan is silent for a moment, “Well, we have wooden stairs at my house. And I fell down them.”

The man scratches the side of his head. “Well, I recommend being a little more careful. So you're free to go, remember your medication, and take it easy for a few days. Don't drive either, because of occasionally seeing double.”

Both of the boys nod and grab everything necessary, making it back to the car.

“What really happened?” Brendon questions, before turning on the car. He studies Ryan and the bruises he has on the side of his neck. “Somebody hurt you. Who was it?”

Ryan is silent, not knowing what to say. He is really sick of lying to everyone, about everything.

“Yesterday, you ran out the door when you were late for work. Your dad's your boss.” Brendon's voice dies out slowly as he speaks.

“And you left work to come pick me up, and I assume he didn't like that did he?” Guilt suddenly washes over him. “He hurt you, this bad? Is it always this bad? This was my fault.”

“I have a headache.” Ryan mumbles.

“He hurt you because of me. I was the reason you were late for work. I was the reason you left early. I'm-”

“Shut up,” He bites. “It's not your fault.”

“I'm right aren't I?” Brendon says lowly. “It's not your fault either.” He assures, with a stronger voice.

Ryan rolls his eyes.

-

Ryan's left in his room while Brendon had to go home to his parents. He feels oddly alone, having been with the kid all day. It's not like they talked much, or what they were talking about was that important, but he feels more lonely. What Brendon said in the car made him nervous, made him feel vulnerable. It scared him half to death. It's just more to add on to his plate, when it comes to making sure the kid doesn't say a word to anyone else.

He can't be that weird kid in school, known for nothing except his father or how weird he is. It's not like he can just trust Brendon to not say anything, because that kid talks all the time. Spencer doesn't even know the extent of what his dad does, and has never said a word to anyone else about it. He needs to think of something to make sure Brendon doesn't do anything. Meaning he has to follow everything he does. Like how he carried him, or how he touched his bangs. A person wouldn't normally do that, would they? He had something there. He'd have to be careful if they went anywhere. If Ryan left him, everything could fall apart. It could end up worse than it would be if Brendon told people who he really is now.

Maybe if Ryan just gave the guy a chance and will actually try to see if things work out, he wouldn't have any issues. He needs to convince himself he likes Brendon Urie. Possible more as a friend.

He could, couldn't he? It's all to keep him safe, and it's a risk he's willing to take.

-

R&R and I'll keep writing this story. :)

(It hasn't even been revised! I'm in such a rush.)
Sign up to rate and review this story