Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Lost Friend

Chapter 9

by USA_Tiger 0 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Harry,Sirius - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2013-06-11 - 7999 words

2Original
Disclaimer: Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling, Pokemon to WB and Nintendo, and Ranma 1/2 to Rumiko Takahashi.

A Lost Friend

By: USA Tiger

Chapter 9

In a couple of days, Sirius had his strength back and had taken to following Harry around when the boy explored Nerima and went to look for Ryoga. But today, Harry had a different plan in mind. Now that Sirius was better, Harry planed on heading for Mahou Village which was Tokyo’s main wizarding community.

"It's great Sirius, you can get a new wand while you're there," Harry said as he guided his godfather toward Nerima's entrance to the village. Sirius yipped and barked happily while Hedwig followed behind her master on the other side. Harry rounded the corner that lead to the shopping center the entrance was in and ran smack into a warm body. 'Not again!' Harry thought as he stumbled backwards, he always seemed to be running into people since he got here.

"Whoa Harry-chan," Ryoga's familiar voice said as strong arms darted out and caught Harry before he fell. Harry blushed slightly as he wrapped his hands around Ryoga's muscular arms.

"Sorry," Harry said as he was set back on his feet. "We're heading to Mahou Village."

"What's Mahou Village?" someone asked from behind Ryoga. Ryoga scowled and turned around to face Ranma.

"That is none of your business," The lost boy growled. Ranma rolled his eyes and hopped down from the wall he had been walking on. He had been heading for the shopping center when he caught site of Ryoga with Harry and now he wanted to know what was going on.

"It's just the magic community Ranma," Harry explained. Ranma perked up, he was always looking for anything he could to cure his curse.

"So where is it?" He asked, making Ryoga scowl again.

"You are not going," Ryoga said, leaning close so Ranma was the only one to hear him. "You're a muggle not a wizard; you don't have any reason to go."

"Oh come on P-chan, what harm is it gonna do?" Ranma asked. Ryoga sighed, with Ranma there was always some sort of trouble.

"If he follows us, that is his own business," Harry said, grabbing Ryoga's hand and pulling the older boy toward the portal that lead to Yummei Lane in Mahou Village. Ryoga blushed and gave a goofy grin as the smaller boy pulled him along, ignoring the smirk on Ranma's face or the laughing bark from Sirius as they followed as well along side Hedwig.

****

"Wow," Ranma said in surprise as he looked out across Yummei Lane. He looked out with wide eyes at everything until Ryoga slapped him on the back of the head.

"Stop making it obvious that you're a muggle," Ryoga hissed while Ranma glared at him, rubbing at where he was slapped.

"Alright already," Ranma said, following behind the group. Sirius had changed back into human from since he wasn't a wanted criminal here. They were heading to the goblin bank Gringotts, Sirius needed to inform his accountant in Britain he was still alive. "So what are those little ugly guys?" Ranma asked when they passed the front doors, looking back at the goblin guards.

"They're goblins Ranma," Ryoga said as he shook his head. "Don't insult them like that, they run the banks and they are very proud warriors. I don't need you starting a war with them just because you’re rude."

"I need to get in touch with my bank manager in England," Sirius told one of the tellers.

"Name?" The teller asked.

"Sirius Black," The teller motioned for an underling goblin to come over after he looked up the man's name.

"Take Black-sama to the communication room and contact Gringotts in Diagon Ally," Sirius was lead away. "Name?"

"Harry Potter, I need to go to my vault please," Harry said as he handed over his key. The goblin teller looked at the key then handed it back.

"Bloodsnout will take you," the goblin said as he waved another underling over. The three teens and owl-turned-human were lead to the carts, Ranma giving it a wary look.

"We're suppose to ride that thing?" He asked as the others climbed into the cart.

"Yep," Harry said he loved riding the vault carts; it was like riding a roller coaster. "Just hang on, the goblins only go one speed and that's fast!" Ranma frowned and got in, giving a yell as the cart took off at breakneck speed, clinging to the side of the cart.

After the shock wore off, Ranma was able to enjoy the ride down to Harry's vault. Once they stopped, Harry jumped out and waited for the goblin to open the door. Ranma followed behind and whistled as he saw all the gold in Harry's vault.

"Wow, if Nabiki knew about this, I think she would faint in shock," Ranma said as he looked around. "Word of advice, don't tell her your loaded. She'll try to scam you for every coin. Geez, I think you're richer than Kuno."

"Hmm, this is just my Japan vault. The goblins told me I have vaults like this all over the world with the bulk in England. That's where my family vaults are," Harry explained as he finished and headed for the cart. "Kuno is the one with the sword right?"

"Yeah, why?" Ranma asked as he followed.

"I ran into him the other day, he was proclaiming love for my owl then Sirius took him out as Padfoot," Harry said with a grin.

"Kuno is an idiot," Ranma said while Ryoga nodded in agreement.

***

Back in the lobby Sirius was waiting for them by the doors.

"Ready then cub?" He asked grinning as Harry nodded.

"They know you’re alive back home?" Harry asked.

"The goblins do, we can wait to tell the order," Sirius said. "Come on, let’s find a wand shop, I can finally get a new wand!"

Sirius happily bounded out into the street, looking for a place that sold wands.

"Is he always like this?" Ranma asked, remembering how the man had called his girl form cute before.

"Yeah, Siri is a prankster, he's like a big kid sometimes," Harry agreed. "Come on, let’s follow him before he gets himself into trouble." He grabbed Ryoga's hand as he took off after his godfather. Ranma followed at a more sedated pace with Hedwig a step behind him.

Sirius found a store that sold wands down the street, eagerly talking to the owner.

"Ahhh, Hibiki-san!" The man said as he saw Ryoga. "Sakura wood and crushed dragon scale, ne?"

"Hai Shijo-san," Ryoga said. Taro Shijo was a wand maker as famous as Garrick Ollivander who worked out of Japan. The man was part demon, his demon blood stronger than Ryoga's, with allowed him to work with the woods and cores of wands.

"So Black-san. You said you needed to find a new wand?" Taro said as he turned back to Sirius. "Come inside my store then, I will find you a match. What was the wood and core of your last wand? It will help narrow down what I should look for."

"8'3 inches of dogwood and a hair of a grim," Sirius said. "My parents made me go to the wand shop in Knockturn Alley."

"Hmm... let’s see then," Taro looked over the row of boxes and took on off the shelf. "Here, this one is oak and grim." He handed it to Sirius who gave it a wave. It was snatched out of his hand and replaced by another after a lamp exploded, making Ranma who was standing next to it jump out of the way. Sirius went through a number of wands until he finally found the right one. "Ah, another dogwood but this one has the hair of a class ‘A’ dog demon. Very rare, there aren’t many dog demons left." Sirius grinned; he could have sworn the wand felt better than his old one did.

"Anyone else getting a wand today?" Taro asked, looking at the young woman and two other teens.

"Sir... could you check and see if Hedwig is able to use a wand?" Harry asked, pulling Hedwig to the front.

"Hmmm.... there is a cloak of some sort of magic around here.... Hibiki-san and the other boy have it too but it is muted"

"I bet that's the Jusenkyo curse," Ranma said since that was the only thing the three of them had in common.

"Jusenkyo... ah! You two are part of the Nerima shape shifting group," Taro said with a nod. "Well the magic is active around her, so what was she before?"

"She's my owl," Harry admitted. "We thought she might be able to use magic as a human."

"Well let's use a test wand and see if she can make it spark," Taro said, going over to his desk and takeing out a box. He opened it as he walked over, holding the box out to Hedwig. "Just pick up the wand dear, it will let out sparks if you have any magic." Hedwig did as instructed, taking the simple looking wand out. As she held it, white and black sparks showered from the end.

"Ah, excellent! Yes, your owl has a strong magical core," Taro said with a nod. "I will be able to fit her with a wand if you wish. And you young sir? Are you here to test it as well?"

"I don't think it will work for him," Ryoga said with a shake of his head. Ranma rolled his eyes and grabbed the test wand. Ryoga was shocked when a few of tiny weak looking colorless sparks came out of the wand.

"Hmmm... I'm sorry sir, but your core is too weak," Taro said as he took the wand from Ranma. "It's not even enough to be a Hedge-wizard."

"Wait.... so I'm a wizard guy like these two?" Ranma asked, pointing at Ryoga and Harry. Taro shook his head.

"No, like I said, your magic is too weak to use any sort of spells which classifies you as a squib. You will be able to get past muggle repelling wards but otherwise you are the same as a muggle."

**

"So that's why you got past my ward that day," Harry said as they sat outside at a small cafe on another street in Mahou Village. Hedwig was on his right side, looking in wonder at the wand she retrieved. It was a maple wood with a feather of a white griffin as a core, she would be able to use spells like her master now! "I was worried I didn't cast it right."

"Yeah, but it doesn't really change anything," Ranma pointed out. "I still can't use magic like Ryoga so he'll beat me there."

"Magic isn't everything Ranma," Ryoga said as he rolled his eyes. "I'm still not going to turn my wand on you."

"I still don't understand though, just what is a squib?" Ranma asked.

"A squib is a child that is born to magical parents but can't use magic themselves," Sirius said. "You have only a little bit of magic but it's nowhere near enough to use any spells. See you have muggles who don't have any magic, then squibs who have only a tiny bit but are pretty much on the same level as muggles. Then you have Hedge-wizards and witches who can use magic but only a few low level spells. Then you have witches and wizards like us."

"But my Pop doesn't have any magic and I don't think my Mom does either," Ranma pointed out.

"Well you could be from a squib line then. If you trace back your bloodline, one of your ancestors was magical. If could very well be your future kids or grandkids could be the witches or wizards," Sirius said then turned to Harry. "So what else do we need to do Pup?"

"I need a new trunk. Either just one for Hedwig or one big enough to hold both of our stuff. I should really get her some robes too," Harry said then sighed. "I should find way to contact Professor Dumbledore too. I'm having fun here but pretty soon I've got to go back."

"Well let’s go see about that trunk and worry about the other thing later," Sirius said as they stood. As they walked down the street, they passed a pet stop. Hedwig stopped and looked through the window, tugging on Harry's arm.

"What is it girl?" Harry asked.

"Looks like she wants to go in here," Sirius said. "Why don't you three head on down, I'll see what it is Hedwig wants here," he offered. Harry hesitated for a moment then nodded his head, leaving with Ryoga and Ranma. Hedwig grabbed Sirius's arm and dragged him into the store. Sirius thought for a moment that she might want some owl treats for herself, but instead she went straight to the back where the owls were.

Hedwig knew she couldn't stay in her true form; it was too dangerous for her to fly on her own so she could no longer deliver mail for her wizard. So her Harry-hatchling needed a new owl and Hedwig was determine to find one that would be as loyal and hardworking as she! She might be human now but she could still understand her fellow owls and as she made owl barking, chirping and hooting noises, they understood her as well.

One by one Hedwig questioned and studied the other owls, Sirius watching in amazement. Finally Hedwig stopped in front of a black and white owl that was a little smaller than Hedwig's owl from. The owl on the perch seemed to have more black in its coloring and its face resembled a tawny owl. It had dark eyes which seemed to study Hedwig as much as she studied it in return.

Finally the owl fluttered down and rested on Hedwig's shoulder. The owl, which was a he, agreed to be this strange human owl new post owl for her human master.

~Ah! I see you chose one of our Ural Owls,~ The shop keeper said in Japanese while smiling.

"I don't suppose you speak English," Sirius said as he and Hedwig approached the counter.

"Hai Sir. Now, will you be needing a perch or food for the owl?" The shop keeper said as he moved the owl from Hedwig's shoulder to a waiting cage.

"Err, I think we're good on a perch but extra food wouldn't go to waste," Sirius said. The keeper nodded and made up a bag of treats as well, ringing it all up. Sirius paid for the owl and food then left the store with Hedwig who was holding the cage. "Um Hedwig, why did you buy an owl?"

"Owl for Master Harry," Hedwig said. "Master Harry need new owl to carry post. Can't anymore, must trust new owl."

***

Sirius and Hedwig found the three teenage boys at the luggage shop. Ranma was leaning against a wall while Ryoga helped Harry to pick out a new trunk.

"We're back," Sirius said in a sing-song voice. Harry looked up and grinned before noticing the cage Hedwig was holding.

"What's that?" He asked. Hedwig held out the cage to her wizard.

"New owl for master," Hedwig said. The Ural owl chirped and bobbed his head. "New owl say be loyal to Master Harry, all mail safe with him."

"Oh Hedwig... I wasn't going to replace you," Harry said as he took the cage. Hedwig just shook her head.

"Master Harry need owl. Cannot be Master's owl now," Hedwig said.

"Well, if you're sure..." Harry said slowly, Hedwig nodded to show that she was sure. Harry lifted up the cage so he could look at his new owl. The owl was very handsome and looked back at Harry with as much as intelligent as Hedwig. "What kind of owl is he?"

"That's an Ural Owl," Ryoga said, leaning closer to look at the owl too. Harry smiled; he was going to have to find a good name for his new pet.

***

That evening Ranma headed back to the Tendo Dojo. His mind was still on what had happen in the wand shop and what had been revealed to him. Now he wondered did either of his parents know? He never seen Genma or Nodoka use magic, and he was pretty sure he would notice Genma using magic spells to make his life easier as lazy as Genma was.

~Taidaima,~ He said as he entered the dojo, smiling slightly as he heard Kasumi answer with 'Okaeri Nasai!' Ranma wondered into the living room where his father Genma was playing Shogi once again with Soun Tendo and his mother Nodoka was sitting nearby. His mother was living with them at the Tendo Dojo after her house was destroyed by the others looking for a ring that didn't even exist and now were waiting for the house to be rebuilt.

Ranma sat down, looking at both of his parents again, wondering how to approach the subject.

~Hey Mom, Pop, do you know what a squib is?~ He asked watching as Genma turned and gave him a confused look.

~What are you talking about boy?~ He asked in a confused tone, telling Ranma that his dad didn't know a thing. While Genma was distracted, Soun cheated and moved pieces around on the board. Ranma noticed that his mother stiffened at the word, gripping her sword that she always carried around tightly.

~It is nothing husband, go back to your game,~ Nodoka said as she stood. ~Follow me Ranma.~ She lead Ranma out to the dojo, facing her son once they were alone. ~Where did you hear that word?~

~So you do know what it is!~ Ranma said. Nodoka nodded slowly then sighed, sitting down and motioning for Ranma to sit down before her.

~Ranma, you and I are descended from a family of magic users. Your grandfather is a wizard but when it came time for me to begin my lessons in magic, it was discovered that I had none,~ Nodoka explained. ~Your grandfather was very disappointed that I turned out to be a squib and sent me away. He did not disown me but at the same time he wanted nothing to do with me. This is why I have not spoken about my family at all. Once I married your father, I have not spoken to any of my family at all. Father hoped that I would marry a wizard of his choosing so magic would be introduced back into our bloodline but instead I married your father.

~The last time I spoke to your grandfather was when he requested that you be tested to see if you could wield magic.~

~And I fail there cause I don't have any,~ Ranma said.

~You showed a little more magic than I did but you are still classified as a squib,~ Nodoka said. ~So I decided since you cannot learn any magic, I would allow Genma to take you on that trice damned training trip so at least you would have something. Ranma, how did you learn that you learn about all this?~

~My friend Ryoga and his little friend Harry are both wizards. I tagged along as they went to some little wizard village,~ Ranma explained. ~Harry's owl was cursed at Jusenkyo and he wanted to see if she could use magic as a human. That wand maker guy said I could use the test wand too.~

~I see,~ Nodoka said with a sigh. She hadn't wanted to burden Ranma with knowledge of the wizarding world since he could never be fully apart of it. It seemed destiny had other ideas, not only was her son cursed but he found and knew people who could use magic. ~I gather up our family history then. Since you know about magic, it is only fair that you know about our bloodline.~ (1)

***

Harry was finishing up a letter for Dumbledore, his summer was coming close to ending, his birthday in a couple of days and it was time to let his Headmaster know where he was. His new owl Isamu, whose name he found in Japanese names and meant 'courage', was sitting on the back of the chair next to him, waiting for his master to finish.

Harry sighed as he finished and signed his name; a large part of him wasn't ready to go back to England.

"Alright Isamu, take this to Albus Dumbledore at Hogwarts," He said as he tied the letter to Isamu's leg then carried his owl outside. "Just be careful getting there and... and take your time too," He said, petting the Ural owl's chest feathers. Isamu hooted and bobbed his head, nipping at Harry's fingers gently before taking off into the air, heading west toward his designation. Harry watched Isamu leave until the owl was a speck in the sky.

"It'll be ok pup," Sirius said as he wrapped his arms around his godson from behind and rested his chin on Harry's head. "I'll make sure you're prepared for all those bastards, they won't know what hit them."

"Thanks Siri," Harry said with a slight smile.

"Come on, it's chilly out here and that crone with the stick said she wants to give you another potion lesson," Harry laughed softly and pulled away from Sirius.

"If it wasn't for that 'crone' as you call her, you wouldn't be here," Harry pointed out then ran inside, Cologne had taken it on herself to properly teach him potions. The Amazon elder was a hard task master but she was loads better than Snape. With her, Harry actually learned something and learned to enjoy making potions, rekindling the interest he had in them when he first rejoined the wizarding world. Snape managed to kill that interest when the man picked on him and refused to teach like a real teacher.

Inside Cologne was setting up a cauldron and several ingredients on the table for her lesson with Harry. She had finally found away to make Harry apart of the tribe without somehow getting him to marry one of the girls of the tribe. It was a little rule that wasn't used on outsiders very often that read that if a tribe member took an outsider as an apprentice then that person became a part of the tribe.

Cologne had noticed that Harry had a bit of a gift with potions once he was properly taught and Cologne had no one to pass her craft on to since her daughter passed away. Her grandson Poe had no skill for it; he was better finding and gathering ingredients. Then there was her great granddaughter Shampoo who like her father had no head for potions, her strength was as a warrior and using Shiatsu techniques.

So finding that with proper training Harry had a way with Potions Cologne snapped the chance up to make the young wizard her apprentice in potion making.

"I'm here elder," Harry said as he ran into the kitchen.

"Good," Cologne said with a smile. "Let’s start shall we?"

****

Ryoga ran his hand through his hair as he tried to come up with a gift to give Harry for his friend’s upcoming birthday. Sirius had cheerfully mentioned a couple of days ago when Ryoga last saw everyone that Harry's birthday was on July 31st, which was in a couple of days from now. Ryoga felt that he had to come up with a perfect gift for the younger teen, but what?

'It has to be special,' Ryoga thought, wondering around an outdoor market he found himself in. Ryoga still wasn't completely sure just what he felt for Harry, he felt closer to the younger wizard that most everyone he knew in Nerima, but he was so unlucky in love he didn't want to jump on the bandwagon that he... he might be falling in love with Harry. He didn't want to break his own heart again.

"Are you looking for something special dear?" An older woman asked from a stall.

"Oh... yeah... I'm looking for something my friend's birthday," Ryoga said coming closer to the stall to look at what the woman had.

"Well have a look at my wares, perhaps what you are looking for is here," The woman said, waving her hand over her wares. "Perhaps a necklace, I have many with protective charms on them."

"Charms?" Ryoga asked a bit startled, looking up at the woman.

"Come now dear, you wouldn't have even noticed me and my stall if you were not a wizard," The woman said with a soft chuckle. "It's warded so only magic users can see it. Now, what is your friend like?"

"Well... he likes to fly and he's good at defensive magic," Ryoga said slowly.

"Hmm, a fan of Quidditch is he?" The woman asked, digging out a box. "I have a few charms that are shaped like Quidditch equipment." The box was offered to Ryoga after the lid was taken off. Ryoga took it and started to sort through the charms.

Ryoga happened upon a charm that was shaped like a Snitch that was black with an amber stone in the middle while the wings were red with specks of gold. The middle reminded him of his personal colors of black and yellow while the wings reminded him of Harry who he knew was a Gryffindor at Hogwarts.

"You said these had charms set to them," Ryoga said as he held up the Snitch charm.

"All the ones in the box haven't been set with charms yet, but for a small fee, I can set one of your choice," The woman offered. Ryoga thought it over; Harry had a lot of people after him back in England and at his school but Harry mentioned that his biggest worry was the link between him and his enemy Voldemort's minds.

"Can you set use a charm that could protect a person's mind from others? Like a portable occlumency shield?" Ryoga asked.

"Yes, but it will only shield some attacks, high level legilimency or telepathy will still get through," The woman said. Ryoga figured it was better than no shields at all and told her he wanted that and paid for the charm and the shield that was set to it. After selecting a chain for the Snitch charm, it was gift wrapped and Ryoga was on his way again, hoping he would make it back to Nerima by Harry's birthday.

**

(Kuno and Nabiki are speaking in Japanese here)

Nabiki gleefully dig into the ice cream Sunday she got Kuno to buy her, the other teen was such an easy sap.

"Hmm," She licked her lips then picked up the envelope on the chair next to her. "There you go Kuno-baby, fresh new photo of your 'loves'." Kuno eagerly opened the envelope for the photos that he paid an arm and a leg for. He flipped through them; yes very lovely photos of Akane Tendo and of the spirited Pig-tailed girl but Kuno wished Nabiki had gotten some of his new love as well, causing him to sigh in a melancholy way.

"What, don't like the photos?" Nabiki asked confused.

"These photos of the lively Akane Tendo and the fiery Pig-tail girl are wonderful," Kuno assured her. "I wish that douth had also gotten some of my snowy goddess."

Nabiki blinked at Kuno, slowly lowering the spoon from her mouth.

"Your who?" She asked as she had no idea who Kuno was speaking of.

"The snow goddess," Kuno repeated, holding up a trembling fisted hand as he spoke about the pale girl from the other day. "Hair and skin as white as snow, her eyes were like gold. She must have come from the mountain tops to seek my help from the black demon dog that plagues her."

"Oh her," Nabiki said, her mind racing. She had no idea who the hell Kuno was talking about but with her contacts she was sure she could find whoever this girl was and get a few pictures, meaning she would make more money off of the idiot across from her. "Give me a few days and I'll have your photos, I didn't know you had a thing for her."

"Thank you Tendo Nabiki," Kuno said as he stood, taking his photos of Akane and Ranma with him. Nabiki waved as he left then turned to the next table where one of her loyal lackeys waited.

"Who the hell is he talking about?" She asked.

"Not sure boss, but there's a rumor that there's this new girl staying at the Amazon's restaurant, I heard one of the guys in class talking about her after he ate there the other day," The girl said. "Her and this foreigner boy who's been there for the last few weeks, he's been hanging out with that cute bandanna boy that's always fighting with Ranma."

"Hmm," Nabiki tapped her chin; she guessed she was going to have to pay a visit to Nekohanten. She couldn't believe she missed something like some new boy hanging out with Ryoga as much as the lost boy ended up in their home. She now vaguely remembered catching Akane and Ranma something about a new kid, but they always calmed up when she entered the room./ 'Oh ho, so those two have been keeping a secret from me. Well, I'll find out sooner or later.'/

"Go see what you can find out about the two then," Nabiki told her lackey as she turned back to her Sunday, no reason to let her treat go to waste.

"Yes boss!" The girl said as she ran out of the ice cream shop.

****

(and now "talk" is back to English)

"So where are we going?" Harry asked as he and Ryoga headed for the train station.

"I thought... you might to come over to my home," Ryoga said. "Meet my family."

"I love to," Harry said with a bright smile. "Your parent's won't mind?"

"Err... I'm not sure if my Kasan and Tousan will be there, they have the same problem I have," Ryoga admitted. He told him which district he lived in at the ticket booth, letting Harry get the tickets. Once they were sitting across from each other on the train did they continue their conversation.

"Both of your parents get lost like you do?" Harry asked softly. Ryoga nodded sadly.

"Both Kasan and Tousan were born into the Hibiki clan, just from two different branches. They are very distance cousins," He admitted. "Kasan's branch is full of witches and wizards while Tousan is from a non magic branch but descended from wolf demons."

"Do you get to see your Mum and Dad at all?" Harry asked.

"I see my Kasan every now and then, she tries to best to be a good mother, and she always leaves me something to eat when she does make it home. It's just always spoiled when I find my house," Ryoga explained. "I haven't seen Tousan in years but I talk to him on the phone a lot. Mostly it just my dogs that live at home. Checkers has taken care of the house since I got her 5 years ago, she a very smart dog," Ryoga smiled proudly as he talked about his beloved pet.

"Well I look forward to meeting you family," Harry assured Ryoga. The two young wizards talked about this and that as they rode the train until they reached the right station. Ryoga told Harry his address and let the younger boy lead him home. The lost boy smiled when they came up on his house, he didn't see it often but it was a warm feeling when he did make it home.

"Taidaima!" Ryoga called as he open the door, listening for an answering call of which there was none. Ryoga sighed sadly; he hoped his mother would have at least been home.

"Awoo!"

"Ruff!" Two big dogs came bounding out of the other room, barking happily as they tackled Ryoga and knocked him to the ground, making the teen laugh as they bathed his face in doggy kisses. Right behind them was a litter of wiggling yapping puppies who dog-piled the boy.

"Hahahaha! Checkers, Shirokuro stop!" Ryoga said between his laughter, petting both of the adult dogs. (2)

Finally both dogs pulled back from Ryoga who sat up and petted each. The puppies tumbled into Ryoga's lap and ran around him happily.

"Harry, this is Checkers and Shirokuro Hibiki," Ryoga said proudly as he stood up, placing a hand on each dogs head. Harry looked curious at the dogs; both had a unique coat pattern, black on one side and white on the other with a perfect split down the middle. The one Ryoga introduced as Checkers was black on the left side and white on the right while the other dog Shirokuro was the first dog's mirror, black on the right and white on the left.

"Please to meet you both," Harry said, laughing as they both offered a paw to shake.

"Checkers has been my dog for 5 years now; I adopted her as a puppy," Ryoga explained as he started taking down the traps his mother left behind. "Shirokuro I met a couple of months ago, he's a ninja dog that ran away from his village and we saved each other’s lives and I gave him a home."

"So these are their puppies?" Harry guessed each of the puppies had a coloring and coat pattern like the adults.

"No, Checkers already had her puppies before I brought Shirokuro home," Ryoga admitted, leading Harry into the kitchen. On the counter was a moldy sandwich left behind by Ryoga's mother which he threw away in the trash. "Both Checkers and Shirokuro get along really well and he takes care of the puppies like they are his."

"Well I can tell they love you," Harry said, grinning at the adoring look both dogs gave Ryoga.

"My mom is glad for Shirokuro; he helps keep the house safe with the ninja skills he learned at his village," Ryoga said.

"I've never heard of a dog able to fight like a Ninja," Harry said.

"They train dogs in the art of 'Ninken' at Sarugakrue Village, it means ninja dog. Shirokuro is a very good fighter. Checkers on the other hand does things like keep the house clean," Ryoga scratched Checkers behind the ear who panted happily.

Both teens looked up as they heard the front door open and close followed by a woman's voice calling out "Taidaima" Ryoga's green eyes lit up and he ran into the entry way, Harry following behind him.

"Kasan!" Ryoga yelled happily, Harry watching as the older boy swept up a petite woman into a hug.

~Oh Ryoga-chan, I am so glad you are home son,~ Ryoga's mother said with a happy smile of her own. She shared a few looks with her son; Ryoga had her nose and round face. Ryoga also had her green eyes, which were currently bright green. Ryoga's mother noticed Harry standing in the doorway. ~Oh? Who's your friend Ryoga?~

"Kasan, this is my friend Harry Potter," Ryoga said as switch back to English and set his mother back on the floor. "Harry, this is my Kasan."

"Harry Potter? England's 'Boy-who-lived'?" Ryoga's mother said surprised, making Harry blink in response.

"You know of me?" He asked.

"I've gotten lost in England a few times over the years," The woman admitted. "I believed you by the way, when you said that dark wizard was back."

"Thank you Mrs. Hibiki, not many people did. But now everyone knows Voldemort is back," Harry said. Ryoga's mother smiled, she could hear the gratefulness in the boy's voice and couldn't blame him, the few times she was in England's wizarding world she heard and read what people were saying about the poor boy last year.

"Just call me Ayako," Ayako said, heading for the kitchen. "I think I'll start dinner." Ryoga grinned, he missed his mother's cooking. Checkers followed Ayako into the kitchen to keep her from getting lost.

"Kasan's cooking is great," Ryoga said as he followed Harry back into the living room. "Kasumi's cooking is great too but Kasan knows how to make dishes all over the world."

"I can't wait to taste it then," Harry said, he liked to see Ryoga so happy about seeing his mother. He was sure if it was his own mother Lily he would be the same.

"Harry... I know it's not quite your birthday yet... but I got something for you," Ryoga said, looking down bashful as he dug into his pocket and took out a little box. He held it out to Harry who slowly took it; his birthday was the next day not that he really planed on doing much. Harry opened the box, his green eyes lighting up.

"Oh wow, Ryoga this is great!" Harry said as he pulled the necklace out of the box and held it up in front of him, admiring the Snitch charm. Ryoga's face lit up, Harry seemed to really like his gift.

"It has a charm on it to, it'll protect your mind against everything but high level legilimency and telepathy," Ryoga explained. Harry smiled, it may not do anything against Voldemort's connection but at least someone was trying to help him protect his mind. Harry pulled the chain over his head, the Snitch charm resting against his chest, then looked up at Ryoga with a bright smile which Ryoga returned. Ayako smiled as she watched the two boys, she was glad to see Ryoga happy. He reminded her of his father Ryoichi, acting the same way when they met and fell in love. She could see Ryoga well on his way to falling in love with the other boy.

~Just like his father, hmm Checkers?~ Ayako said softly to the dog at her feet. ~I think Harry will be my son-in-law one day.~

"Awooo," Checkers said softly, nodding her head in agreement. Ayako chuckled softly and turned back to finish cooking.

**

Nabiki yawned as she sat at the cafe across from the Nekohanten, absently stirring her drink with the straw. Her minion confirmed that there was a white hair girl living at the Amazon's place and now the middle Tendo daughter was camping outside of the Nekohanten waiting for her own glance of Kuno's new 'love'. She had her camera nearby so she could get the photos to sell the idiot.

Nabiki didn't want to go into the Nekohanten itself incase this girl was an Amazon and didn't want Cologne in her face over taking photos of one of her villagers. The girl glanced at the Nekohanten when she heard barking, the front door opened and a large black dog ran out followed by a pretty young woman with white hair.

'Well I'll give Kuno this much, she is pretty,' Nabiki thought as she grabbed her camera and started to take pictures. 'Didn't know he was into older women.' She snapped photo after photo of Hedwig, Nabiki never noticed the dog had moved away.

"AHHH!" Nabiki yelled as something wet and cold pressed into the small of her back, jumping up and turning to see the large dog that had come out with Hedwig. Padfoot barked and lowered his front end to the ground while his rear end wiggled as his tail wagged. ~Go away mutt,~ Nabiki said, shooing Padfoot away with a hand. He barked again as he pressed his head into Nabiki's lap. She rolled her eyes, putting her camera to the side and grabbing a piece of cake off of her plate she had been snacking on. While she was distracted, Padfoot grabbed the camera by the strap and ran off with it.

~Here, take the cake and....~ Nabiki blinked as she turned back and saw that the dog was gone. ~Huh... stupid dog,~ she muttered to herself with a shrug as she popped the cake piece into her mouth and turned back to the Nekohanten, Hedwig was still outside so she could get a few more photos for Kuno. Nabiki's hands patted around on the table trying to find her camera. She blinked and turned her head, her camera was gone.

Across the street, Sirius snickered as he tossed the camera up and down in his hand. He didn't know what the girl was doing taking photos of Hedwig but she wasn't getting them now. He watched in amusement as Nabiki franticly looked for her camera then pointed his wand at the object; transfiguring the camera into a stuff dog, maybe his pup would like a new toy.

****

Albus sighed softly as he put another piece of paperwork to the side. His mind just wasn't on anything but on poor Harry. He felt he had failed the boy somehow and didn't know how to find the Potter heir. Every spell he used couldn't locate Harry and even Fawkes was lost on where Harry had gone. Tomorrow was the boy's birthday, by now the wards would have been charged enough so Harry could spend the rest of his summer holidays with the Weasleys. The already weak blood wards had failed without Harry there, part of which Albus was happy about. Not about the wards falling but that Harry wouldn't be returning to the Dursleys. He had know that Harry hadn't had the best life there, but he had hope that Petunia had some sort of affection for her sister's side, alas this wasn't the case.

On top of everything else, Albus missed his chance to convince Horace to return to teaching at Hogwarts, the man had already moved from his hiding spot and it had taken Albus forever to find him in the first place! Albus had planned on using Harry's fame to entice Horace; he needed his old friend there to help Harry learn about the Horcuxes. Now he was going to either have to tell Severus that he was going to have to continue teaching Potions this year and find a new DADA teacher or find someone else to teach Potions. He sighed again, reaching up to rub his forehead with his good hand.

tap tap Albus looked up wearily and glanced over at the window. His heart sped up as he saw a black and white owl in the window, thinking that it was Harry's owl Hedwig, the headmaster jumped up and opened the window to let the owl in. Once Albus got a good look at the owl that landed on his desk, he sighed in disappointment, it wasn't Hedwig. This owl was a little smaller that the Snowy owl and looked a bit like a black and white Tawny owl.

"Well, I wonder who you belong to," Albus said as he sat down and offered the owl a few treats. The owl hooted and held out his leg for the man to take the letter from him. Albus opened the letter and sighed again, this time in relief, it was Harry's handwriting.

'Dear Professor Dumbledore,

I'm sorry that I disappeared from the Dursleys, I teleported from the house by accident, I'll explain how I did that when you come and get me. I'm safe and currently in Japan, I'm staying at a place called the Nekohanten in Nerima. When you come, I have a couple of surprises.

Harry Potter

P.S. This is my new owl Isamu, please bring him back with you'

"Thank Merlin," Albus said as he put the letter down, he was glad to hear Harry was safe and is sounded like he was well. He chuckled softly as he realized he was right, Harry ended up in Japan.

"I think we should head to Grimmauld Place old friend," He said to Fawkes as he got up, offering his arm to Isamu. The Ural owl climbed onto the offered limb with a tired hoot. Fawkes trilled loudly and flew over to Albus, landed on the man's shoulder. With a musical trill Fawkes fire-flashed all of them over to the Black ancestral home. Once in the house, Albus walked over to the kitchen. At the table was a ragger looking Remus.

"Albus," Remus greeted, looking up at his old headmaster hopefully.

"I've just received word from young Mr. Potter," Albus said with a twinkle, which had been missing the last few weeks, in his blue eyes.

"Really? Is the cub alright?" Remus asked as he stood up. "Where is he?"

"It seems young Harry has find himself in Japan, in someplace called Nerima," Albus explained. "This handsome fellow should be able to lead us to Harry once we are in Japan," He said as he nodded to Isamu on his arm.

"Well what are we waiting on, let’s go get my cub!" Remus said.

"In a few hours, it is nighttime in Japan now," Albus said. "Mr. Potter can wait until then, he seems safe enough from his letter. I suggest you get some sleep before we leave for Japan, you look like you need it," he suggested as Remus looked very tired. Remus sighed but nodded his head; he was dead on his feet having been up for days at a time worrying about his pack's cub. A few hours sleep would do him good now that he knew Harry was alive and where he was.

****

Author note: So we're finally heading for the last stretch of Harry's time in Nerima, soon it will be back to Hogwarts for the school year.

(1) So Ranma is a 2nd generation squib on his mother's side, it's the reason he got past Harry's Muggle repelling wards back in chapter 5 since I believe squibs can't be completely magic less otherwise Filch couldn't work as the caretaker at Hogwarts, it would just look like a crumbling castle to him if he had no magic as all. Ranma won't be able to use magic but at the same time, he won't have a problem with being able to go to Hogwarts either.

(2) Ok let me explain before the Ranma 1/2 fanatics lynch me. In the manga Ryoga has a girl dog named Shirokuro (or as she's called in this fic by her English name 'Checkers') and I knew the dog was in the anime but I didn't know until I looked it up that Shirokuro in the anime is a boy dog. The girl Shirokuro is the Hibiki family dog and has a litter of I think about 5 puppies while the boy Shirokuro is from a village of ninjas and becomes Ryoga's dog after he runs away from his village. I also noticed that the manga and anime versions mirror each other in color. Both are black and white with the colors split down the middle but the manga girl Shirokuro is black on the left and white on the right. The anime boy Shirokuro on the other hand is black on the right and white on the left.

So they are two different dogs really. And since I base my fic off of both the anime and manga for the Ranma 1/2 part, I decided to use both versions as Ryoga's pets. So the manga version is called Checkers here and the anima version is called Shirokuro.

Next, I am looking for someone to beta this story. And I drew a cute little piece of fanart of Ryoga as P-chan with Harry in his Tepig form. The link will be in my profile if you’re reading this on ff dot net.

Otherwise here's the link - http://freakwerewolf.deviantart.com/art/Snout-Kiss-372100565

Edit 7-2-14: Quite a few bits of grammar that needed to be fixed this time around.
Sign up to rate and review this story