Categories > Celebrities > Johnny Depp > 21 Jump Street: Vault (Def Leppard Greatest Hits)

Two Steps Behind

by Brambleshadow 0 reviews

Category: Johnny Depp - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2013-07-09 - 744 words

0Unrated
Recorded live in one minute. A B-side then a hit. Lovely. (Phil) Pete, our co-producer, promised to quit if it became a hit. We're still waiting, Pete. (Sav)

Chapter 5: Two Steps Behind

Walk away if you want to
It's okay if you need to
Well you can run but you can never hide
From the shadow that's creeping up beside you
There's a magic running through your soul
But you can't have it all


Tom glanced up from the report he was writing on a recently closed case and found he was looking at Judy. Night had fallen, and everyone else had already left, so they were the only ones in the chapel. Even Sal Balducci, the janitor, had already gone home. And now, as he studied her, his sepia eyes softened and warmed. The two of them had been through a lot together: he'd stayed with her after finding out she'd been raped, comforted her; she had been the one to realize that he was slowly becoming crazy after his girlfriend, Amy, had been murdered. Somehow, they'd become closer over the years, but they'd never actually hooked up. Whenever Judy needed space, Tom gave it to her. He was okay with it, if she wanted to walk away. But lately he sensed something was troubling her—and he couldn't figure out what it was.

Judy's voice broke into his thoughts: "You see something you like?"

Tom blinked slowly, coming out of a daze. "What?"

"Just checking to see if you were paying attention," Hoffs grinned.

Ah, so she had been watching him watching her. Not that Hanson minded. He decided to take the opening, and, rising, walked over to her desk Holding her gaze, he proceeded to perch on the edge of aforementioned piece of furniture. He thought out loud, "You can't have it all, you know."

Hoffs looked at him curiously. "What makes you say that?"

Tom thought about it, shrugged. "I don't know. I mean, we've been through a lot since I joined Jump Street."

Her reply was so quiet he had to strain to hear it: "I know."

Whatever you do—I'll be two steps behind you
Wherever you go—and I'll be there to remind you
That it only takes a minute of your precious time
To turn around, and I'll be two steps behind

Yeah, yeah


And they'd always supported each other. Whatever Judy did, wherever she went, Hanson was two steps behind here, there to remind her that he'd always be there for her.

The words to a Def Leppard ballad were suddenly playing in Tom's head, so he crooned softly:

"Take the time to think about it
Walk the line, you know that you just can't fight it
Take a look around, and you'll see what you can find
Like the fire that's burnin' up inside me
And there's a magic running through your soul
But you can't have it all, no

Whatever you do—I'll be two steps behind you
Wherever you go—and I'll be there to remind you
That it only takes a minute of your precious time
To turn around, and I'll be two steps behind."


Judy stared, her mouth hanging open a little. "Where'd you hear that?"

"Uh, the radio."

She shrugged one shoulder. "Okay, then. Hey, I never knew you liked Def Leppard. Bruce Springsteen, sure, but not them."

"What is it with you guys hassling me about my taste in music?"

Hoffs eyed him for a moment, then cracked a small grin. "It's 'cuz we love you, Hanson."

"Same here." His chocolate-brown eyes heated up as he looked her over. Yes, he cared about her a lot, wanted to protect her, but was that because they were such good friends or because he had serious feelings for her?

Judy suddenly slammed her report file closed and stood up. "Night, Hanson. I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?" She started to walk by, but Tom slipped off her desk, drew her close, and kissed her softly on the forehead. "Night, Jude." Then he released her and watched as she walked away.

There's a magic running through your soul
But you, you can't have it all

Whatever you do—I'll be two steps behind you
Wherever you go—and I'll be there to remind you
That it only takes a minute of your precious time
To turn around, I'll be two steps behind

Yeah, baby, two steps behind
Oh sugar, two steps behind
Sign up to rate and review this story