Categories > Original > Drama > Akasaka Moon

Jasmines

by Noizchild 0 reviews

Kato meets Michiko for the first time in the spring.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2013-07-19 - 782 words - Complete

0Unrated
Jasmines

I will never forget April seventh, 1959. It was raining on that Tuesday. I was twenty-five years old and my career as a priest was going rather smoothly. I still worked as an assistant in counseling to Hirata-sama that year. Japan was on its seventh year of independence from the Allied forces. Juriko and Haruka had long since faded from my mind. My mother was still doing well with her health. In fact, we called each other on a nightly basis. I just thought that my life had nicely come together.

And then, there was that morning in April seventh, 1959.

I was running late because I overslept from working on some paperwork from last night. It was rare for me to have crappy days in 1959. Judging from the rain, I thought that was going to be one of those bad days. I didn't have time to get breakfast and didn't think that I even had the right papers. I couldn't even check as I rushed out the door. I stood out in the rain in front of my apartment, trying to hail a taxi. Come on! Where is that damn taxi! I looked through the heavy rain.

"Oh no!" I heard someone wail. "My shoes!" When I looked over to my right, I thought that I saw one of the gods' most precious gifts. This woman looked about my age, maybe younger. She had plastic pink-purple hair clips by her ears. I thought she would've looked prettier with a smile on her face. She looked like a little porcelain doll in her white and pink dress suit with matching shoes and a hat. I found myself drawn over to her.

"Excuse me miss," I said. She looked up, frustrated.

"What?" she wailed. I gave her a calm smile.

"Are you okay, miss?" I asked.

"No!" she whimpered.

"Okay," I said. "What is the problem?"

"A car drove by and ruined my new shoes," she said. I looked down at the problem that she was talking about. Mud and water had seeped through her left pink shoe and white pantyhose.

"Here," I said in a patient voice. I reached into my jacket and pulled out a handkerchief. I knelt down and wiped her leg off the best that I could. She looked on at me with a curious look.

"I don't get it," she said.

"Get what?" I asked as I looked up.

"Why are you doing all of this for some stranger that you've just met?" the woman asked. I shrugged.

"Felt like it," I said. She giggled.

"What?" I asked.

"You're an odd person," she said.

"I get that a lot," I said.

"Do you?" she asked.

I nodded as I pressed my lips together. "Yeah."

"What is your name?" this angel asked.

"Kato Iwao. What's yours?" I answered.

My little butterfly gave me a smile for the first time since we met. "Hino Michiko."

My jaw almost dropped. "You mean… Hino, as in sake brewers?"

"That's right," she said.

I whistled. "Wow." I took another look at Michiko. "So, what's the occasion today, Hino-san?"

Michiko gave me a funny look. "Occasion?"

"You know, why are you all dressed up like that?" I asked.

"Oh! I'm going to tour the Hino Factory today," she answered with a smile.

"Why?" I asked.

"I'm an only child and there are no other male heirs to the company. So, my father's thinking about letting me run the company," she replied.

I raised an eyebrow. "Is he sure that is a good idea?"

Michiko frowned. "You don't think I'm capable enough to run the factory?"

I quickly put up my hands. "No, no! I think you'll do a good job. It's just…"

"Just what?" she asked.

"It would be interesting to see a woman run a big company!" I blurted out. Michiko's facial didn't change as she kept her mouth closed. Did I blow it with her? Her thin ruby-tined lips curved into a smile.

"You really are an odd one," she said. I chuckled as I smiled.

"Yeah, I guess I am," I said. Just then, the taxi pulled up. Michiko climbed inside and turned to me.

"You coming?" she asked.

"Do you want me to…?" I said, trailing off.

"Of course," she said. "You have to go somewhere too, don't you?" Her question reminded me that I was already running late for work that morning.

"Damn it, yes!" I yelled. I jumped into the cab next to her and buckled up. "Drive!" The driver complied and stepped on the gas. Heh, not a bad morning after all. I got to meet an angel who was soon to be my wife in four years.
Sign up to rate and review this story