Categories > Original > Romance > Kiss Me

Thoughts of Hayden

by sickly_ill 1 review

Chapter 2

Category: Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2013-08-06 - 2301 words

0Boring
Chapter 2 - Thoughts of Hayden



Back in the shop on Monday. I go into Anderson's office and we talk about regionals. What I did right, and what I did wrong. And about state. "Okay, so there's a $90 participant fee. But other than food, I can get ASB to cover the rental car and the hotel rooms. Which is about $100 a night."

"Are you serious?" I gape.

"Well, it's the Holiday Inn. Complimentary breakfast, pool, hot tub, wi-fi, room service. The whole shebang." I just nod. Then, Hayden joins us. I don't look at him. It's just too awkward. He makes me nervous. I just look down at my shoes and listen. "So, Hayden, Ben, and Austin's welding competition is next week. After that we'll see who'll be going with us to state." I nod. "You know, it would be sweet if we all went." Anderson's face beams. I just snort and shake my head.

"Yeah," Hayden says, "only if Ben nails his vertical." He jokes. But I don't really laugh because I have no idea what that is.

"Well, maybe he'll surprise us all." Anderson smiles and we all take to the floor to practice.


The week goes by uneventful. I am just waiting for welding to be over so we can go on to talk more about state and who's all going. I really don't want to be the only one going with Anderson. I mean, he's cool and all, but he's a guy. And I know my dad won't be very comfortable letting me go off with some guy, teacher or not, to an event for three days, two hours away in Renton.

I just sigh and decide to go for a jog Friday afternoon. I just wanted to relieve some stress and clear my thoughts. Thoughts about competition. Thoughts about Hayden. I just don't know what it is, but I feel connected to him somehow. Either that or I'm just a total creeper in desperate need of a little man action.

My run was breathtaking. Literally. When I get home I'm completely winded. I take to the kitchen and drink some cold water. After that I shower, then eat some dinner and snuggle up with yet another teeny book I found in the library.

And this is how it was all weekend. I read, did some chores, some homework, and applied for two job openings.


Monday, yet again. I'm really getting sick and tired of this repetition in my life. I don't do anything besides machining, reading, drawing, painting, and homework. I need some real friends so we can go be rachet somewhere people don't know me. And that is why I skip fourth period and go to Dairy Queen to get some ice cream. All alone. I just go through the drive through because going inside and sitting by myself is just too embarrassing.

I go to a nearby park and kill the engine in the parking lot. I eat my strawberry sundae as I listen to the sound of my breathing, swallowing, wind, and the trees rattling. So I turn the key and listen to the radio till I finish my sundae. I get out and throw it in a nearby trash can and head back to school.

Fifth period machining. I just get right to work as Jack, my partner, hangs out with his stupid ass friends who never do anything. But I can't loosen up my tool holder. I frown and look around to see who can help me. Then I spot Alex and Paco on the mill. "Hey, Alex!" I call. He looks up. "Can you help me loosen this up?" I point to my tool holder.

"Yeah," He smiles and comes over. Paco stops the mill and follows. "Here." Alex scoots in next to me and I move over so he has room. He takes a deep breath and I see his arms shake as he tries to loosen up this stupid shit. But he just huffs and looks at it.

"Here, fool, move. Let me do it!" Paco motions Alex out of my limited space for the lathe. "Pinche estupid fuck." He jokes at Alex. I just roll my eyes. "Can't even loosen this shit." Paco grabs the allen wrench already set in the hole.

Paco's much taller than me, and his cologne radiates off of him. It smells good. I take him in wearing tan Dickies, a loose black shirt, his golden chains, snap back, and his out of place safety glasses.

Within a few seconds Paco looses my tool holder. "There." He hands me the allen wrench.

"Oh my God, thanks." I smile.

"So, what part are you on?" He asks and motions to my stock in the chuck.

"I just need to champfer the sides." I turn the holder to what I assume is a 45 degree angle.

"So, you're basically done." He says and nods. "Nice." I nod and both Alex and him watch me do my work. I stop.

"Don't you guys have work to do." I say and eye them.

"We're farther than you. We can take a break." Paco says. I hear his faint Mexican accent. I just sigh and shake my head. "Why? Do you not want us here?" He asks.

"No. I hate when people watch me while I work. It's weird." I tighten the holder and my tool. I turn on my lathe and slowly ease in on my stock. I barely scrape off some metal for a nice clean, but not too deep, chamfer. Paco leans in to watch me. Alex just stands next to him with his arms crossed over his husky framed chest.

Alex is also taller than me, but much more built than Paco. He is wearing black Dickie shorts and a white shirt. He's also wearing a gold chain around his neck, but has a black beanie on. His short, curly hair popping out of the sides. I noticed Alex is darker than Paco. Compared to Alex's brown, Mexican skin, Paco could pass as a choloed out white boy.

I finish my piece and stop my lathe. I move my cariage and loosen the jaws of my chuck to take out my piece. It's complete. I smile. "Done."

"Nice." Paco compliments. "Wanna do ours?" He laughs.

"No! I had a hard enough time doing this one. I had to restart twice!" I smile.
"Yeah, but while your doing ours we can do the body of your clamp. You haven't even started on that one." Paco tries to make a deal. "C'mon, we're almost done with ours." I stand there and think about it. I really don't like working on the mill. And it would save me some time.

"Fine." I finally say.

"Yeah?" Paco smiles.

"Yeah. But make sure you don't fuck it up. I need to get this done." I say.

"Okay, we won't." Paco smiles.

"But if you do, I'm going to do it myself." I look at him sternly.

"Okay," he holds his hands up in defense.

"Go get your pieces for me, and I'll bring in mine tomorrow." I say.

"Aye, go get em, fool." Paco tells Alex.

"No! You go get em, you lazy fuck." He laughs.

"I don't know the combination!" He says. I just roll my eyes and go show Anderson my finale product.


It's Monday. Again! Ugh! But the welding competition is over. I barely get out of third period when I hear my name being called to room 107. I just roll my eyes and shake my head. Damn, Anderson.

I'm in the shop and enter Anderson's office, but he's not there. I go out onto the floor and see Ben cutting sheets. "Have you seen Anderson?" I go up to him and ask. He looks up at me and turns bright red. It's so adorable. I just smile.

"Uh," he begins, "yeah. He said he was going to the office." His deep voice totally not suiting his personality. Just then we hear the door swing open and close. I see Shepard walking tall to his office with papers in his hands.

"Thanks." I grin at Ben and leave. "You rang?" I joke as I enter Anderson's office once again. He looks up at me and chuckles.

"Yes." He gets some papers. "So, you are going to state. And so is Hayden." He smiles. "Well, as an alternate. He placed fifth." I nod and look at the papers he's got with a list of names. "And both of you placed for job interview skills." I furrow my brows.

"But I didn't get a call back." Oh yeah, the boys and I went for another competition under Job Interview Skills. Basically, you dress up and go on a fake interview. Hayden and I were both lucky to get the same guy as our interviewer. He was really nice, and interviewed well. But I was sick the week before and started having a coughing attack during my interview. Only can happen to yours truly. I was so embarrassed. The guy fetched me water and our interview was so over.

"But you got within the 100 top people. And so did Hayden." He said, and I see my name somewhere in the 80s. "So, if we go you would be in machining, Hayden in welding, and both of you in job interview skills." He explains. Right then Hayden walks in. My mouth goes dry. He's wearing skinny jeans and some torn up Nike's.

I swallow and muster up enough courage to say with a steady voice, "Good job, man."
"Oh, thanks." He nods. "Sorry you didn't get it. We got the same guy and he picked me." He apologizes, but I don't know what for. He was better than me. So what? Maybe he thinks I'm butt hurt or something, but I don't bring it up because just then Anderson tells us to take a seat.

"So, are you guys planning on going to state?" He asks as I perch myself on his second desk near the door.

"Yeah, I talked to my parents and its a go." I nod.

"Yeah, me too." Hayden says. I don't look at him. I want to, but I feel myself forcing my eyes back to my shoes. I look up at Anderson.

"Then, you have to get the $90 in by next Friday. Pay it in the activities office, and bring me the receipt. And I'll write a letter to ASB to see if they can cover the rental car and the hotel. Which, all in all, is 3,000." I blanch.

"$3,000 just to go to Renton for a 3-day competition?" I ask in disbelief.

"Yeah, man." Anderson smiles.

"Damn." I hear Hayden say.


I pay the state fee on Friday. I go into the shop and show Anderson my receipt. "Great!" He smiles. "Hayden already paid his and ASB is going to cover our trip. So, all we have to do is meet and practice. Then after spring break we'll be on our way." I nod and leave for the day.

Back at home I'm watching TV. But even Tom and Jerry can't take my mind off of Hayden. Is it just a physical attraction, or can it be more? Why do I even like him? If I like him. Who says that I do? My mind is racing. I sigh heavily and turn off the TV.

I go into my room, take out my new leather bound sketchbook, open to a new page, and take a seat at my desk. I sigh and start to doodle. But what do ya know? An outline of Hayden appears on my page. I growl and throw my sketchbook at the wall to my right. What the hell is wrong with me!? Then I hear a knock at my door. "What?!" It opens and in peeks Elio.

"Are you okay?" He asks. I just sigh and put my head in my hands as I lean my elbows on my desk. He comes in and sits on my bean bag chair. "What's wrong with you?"

"Hayden Pierce." I mumble, head in hands still.

"That kid with the piercings?" He frowns. I nod. "Do you like him?"

"I don't know. I can't get him out of my head." I say lowly. He stands and goes over to pick up my sketchbook. I see a small dent in the wall from the hard cover.

"I see." He eyes my sketch of him. I sigh again. "You like him." He states and I grown. "What's so bad about that?"

"I don't even know him! How can I like him if I know nothing about him except that he likes welding?! I can barely look at him much less talk to him!" I argue.

"You don't have to know someone to feel attracted to them, Cielo." He closes my sketchbook and sets it back on my desk. I guess he's right.

"Then, what do I do?" I ask.

"Talk to him. I mean, you're obviously attracted to him physically, find out about his personality. And once you decide your feelings for this kid then you either move on, or continue to keep having wet dreams about him." He jokes.

"Elio, you're nasty! Cochino!" I smack his arm. He chuckles. "But I think you might be right." I sigh in defeat.

"I'm always right, hermana. That's why I'm the oldest." He grins and gives me a pat on the shoulder before he leaves. That's his funny way of showing he cares. We aren't the most affectionate family, but we always know that we love each other by the little things we do.

I need to suck it up and give some clue to Hayden that I like him, but also get to know him more. But how?
Sign up to rate and review this story