Categories > TV > Criminal Minds > Saving Spencer Reid

Chapter 10

by Nuada 0 reviews

Please refer to chapter 1.

Category: Criminal Minds - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2013-08-09 - 1181 words - Complete

0Unrated
Despite the fact that Reid had thought that he'd been doing a decent job of fooling everyone at work, everyone was worried about him. They all watched him when he was at work, realizing that he was in deeper trouble then even he realized but none of them knowing exactly how far he would go and no one knew how to help him. Reid knew that they were watching, which was why he had been doing everything he could to give off the appearance of normalcy. That was to say that he thought that he'd been doing an okay job when it came to making them think that he was dealing…had dealt with the passing of Gideon and that he was perfectly fine. Hotch was the only one that didn't completely buy that.

Aaron knew that Reid was smart (okay, understatement and an idiotic thing to say) and that somewhere deep down Reid had to have known that he wasn't fooling anyone. You couldn't work beside the same people, day in and day out, never mind the fact that they were Profilers, and think that you could fool them. Aaron watched Reid go through his daily tasks, going through case after case, filing the paper work and reports on time when required but when he smiled it never quite reached his eyes. He drank more coffee (if that had been possible), the dark circles under his eyes were darker and his eyes had that haunted look that Aaron was used to seeing on the victims not a member of his own team. He knew that the rest of the team was looking at him to give them the answers but he was no more knowledgeable as to what was going through the genius' head then anyone else was.

Garcia, on the other had had decided that if no one was going to talk to Reid then she was going to have to. There was no way that she was just going to sit there and let Reid get lost further and further into the misery that he had built around himself. She was tired of people acting like he was going to break. As far as she was concerned, they had waited long enough for him to open up. She knew from working with Reid that he wasn't going to admit that there was a problem or that he needed help, to talk or even a hug. No, with her little genius usually you had to coax it out of him. Or else he would just let it fester and eat away at him until something really bad happened.

She waited until most people had left for the day. It wasn't all that unusual that he was the last one to leave that had become his custom ever since Gideon died. She knew what he was doing, aside from ignoring the fact that he was starting to scare everyone around him, he would wait until he was certain that everyone was gone and then he would go through Gideon's old case files. She had no idea what he could possibly be looking for, all she knew was that's what he was doing.

She walked silently into the dimly lit bullpen. He was sitting at his desk; he had pulled out most of Gideon's old files and was going through them. At first she just stood there and watched him. She had always found it fascinating and somewhat eerie when he read, the speed that he could use to go through a file or a book was freaky at times. He was so engrossed in what he was doing that he didn't even realize that he was being watched. She almost didn't want to interrupt him until she notice the tremor to his hands and the silent tears that were making their way down his face.

She walked until she was right behind him and put her had on his all-too-thin shoulder. "Spencer?" She hadn't expected that he would jump, scaring the crap out of both of them.

"Garcia? What are you doing here?" His voice was a squeak and he looked like the little boy who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

She put her hands on her hips, very much in little mother mode. "I could ask you the same thing. When was the last time you had a good night's sleep or anything to eat for that matter?" As she spoke she lightly poked at him. She couldn't remember the last time that she had seen him eat anything and she didn't want to end up hurting him.

He tried telling himself that this was no big deal. That she was just being concerned and that he could lie his way through this. He had formed the lie in his head, he had even visualized how the scene would play out and that she would fall for it apologize for the intrusion and leave him alone. He was trying not to look guilty, not to lead on that he was falling apart. She shook her head and he knew right then that lying wasn't going to be an option, she was not going to be satisfied with pretty words and lame excuses. He took a deep breath and rubbed at his eyes to try and bring them back into focus. "Okay, admittedly it has been awhile. It hasn't been intentional, it's just that I've been really busy." He said realizing after the words left his mouth how lame they sounded.

"Are you trying to seriously tell me that you have been so busy that you don't have time to eat or try and get a good night's sleep? Dr. Reid that is the craziest thing that I have ever heard. Come on." She held out her hand.

"What do you want?" He stood up without taking her hand. The room was starting to spin. He tried not to let on just how bad things had gotten and the fact that he wasn't completely sure that he would be able to make it out of the bullpen without passing out on the way to the door, was not going to make that easy. He closed his eyes against the dizziness and took a deep breath. He could hear her voice but he was having such a hard time focusing that he couldn't make out what she was saying.

Garcia knew that something was wrong. When he had stood up, all of the colour had drained out of face and then he passed out. She was on the phone immediately with EMS. She had no idea what precisely was wrong with him but she blamed herself. She hadn't been desensitized to what her genius had been going through and she knew that she should have seen the signs that Spencer was in trouble way before it got to this point. She decided right then and there that she was going to have to have a long talk with him as soon as he was up to it.
Sign up to rate and review this story