Categories > Original > Romance > Kiss Me

Back Together

by sickly_ill 0 reviews

Chapter 11 - Back Together

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2013-09-16 - 3266 words

1Ambiance
2 months later…


A lot has happened since the transition from fall to winter. I got a job at BK, babysit on weekends, am tutoring at Burton Elementary, Skills USA, Latino Club, manager of the girl’s JV basketball team, and I got an internship at NACF (Native Arts & Cultures Foundation). So, one can say I’m pretty busy. On top of that I’ve got Hayden and AP tests. Well, test. Since I’m only going to take one.

It’s mid-January and I’m busy all week. I make time to call Hayden, but the calls are brief. I know it seems that I’m too busy for him, but we hang out at school. And he swings by to get a burger and watch me at the register. Which I find super sweet. I’m just making sure I have a good senior year. I want my college to know that I care about my future. And I need to do all of this to make sure I have a good future. And I want Hayden to be by my side. And even he’s got work and other things to do for school. So it’s not like I’m the one too busy to hang out sometimes.

Hayden walks me to my car after school. “What are you doing tonight?” He asks as we get to my car.

“Uh, what’s today? Thursday?” I try to remember what I have Thursdays.

“Yeah.” He nods. I just lean against the driver’s door and think.

“I have tutoring at four, and I work a few hours tonight.” I open my door as Hayden sighs deeply. “Babe, you know it’s important for me to do this.” I sit and buckle up.

“I know, I know.” He rubs the back of his neck how I find so cute.

“But I’ll call you tonight, okay?” He nods. “Okay,” I smile. He just leans down to kiss my cheek, then closes my door for me. I just drive away and head to Burton.


After work, I just walk into my room like a zombie and completely crash. Knowing full well I’m forgetting something, but I just leave it for tomorrow.


I wake in a rush and don’t have much time to do anything. Elio’s chowing down while I get my bag and keys. “Elio, let’s go.” I head out the door with damp hair and he follows. Behind me he pulls my hood over my head.

“Don’t want you getting sick.” He swallows whatever’s in his mouth and we go to school.


At school, Hayden comes up to my locker as the first bell rings. I’m closing my locker with books in hand and ready for first period when he stops me. “Hey, baby.” He kisses me. “Why didn’t you call last night? I waited up.” Shit! I knew I was forgetting something! I mentally slap myself as he wraps his arms around my waist and I look up at him.

“Oh, babe, once I got home I crashed.” I frown.

“Well, just take a weekend off and come with us to Greg’s cabin. It’s nice and in a secluded area. I’m talking hot tub and pool table nice.” He smiles.

“I work graveyard Friday and Saturday. And Sunday is test prep.” I bite my lip.

“C’mon, Sky. We haven’t had a date in a while.” He kisses me again, hoping he’ll change my mind.

“Babe, I can’t. I have previous plans. I can’t just cancel for a stupid cabin trip.” I explain as softly as possible.

“Fine. Whatever.” He sighs and walks me to my class in silence. “See you at lunch.” He kisses my cheek and I nod.


During lunch, in the shop, I don’t greet anyone and just get to work. I’m busy ghosting my piece in the mill when Hayden comes out from behind the wall. “Hey. When did you get here?” Hayden asks me.

“Tutorial.” I watch as my piece cleans up.

“Oh.” He just says and walks away for me to finish my work.

I’m washing my hands when he comes up behind me and nuzzles my neck. I pull away. “Not in the shop.” I am out of his grasp.

“Sky, don’t be such a prude.” He tries to laugh it off, but doesn’t quite pull it off.

“Well, I’m working. And we’re at school.” I dry my hands.

“So? I’ve seen other couples just about fucking in the halls.” He argues.

“Well, we’re not them.” I head to my bag and dig out my lunch. Just then, Ben comes up and greets me with a hug. We chat for a while and then he leaves.

“You give Ben more action than you do me!” Hayden seethes. “And I’m your boyfriend!”

“Well, Ben’s a good friend. And I kissed you this morning. That’s more than Ben.” I lose my appetite and put my lunch back in my bag.

“Not by much.” He huffs. I just roll my eyes. “You think I’m expendable, Sky. Just because you’re my girlfriend doesn’t mean I’m gonna treat you like a princess every day.
Especially when you say one thing and do another.”

“Oh my God! I’m sorry I didn’t call! Stop being such a baby!” I grovel.

“You know what, I’m not gonna stand here and argue with you.” Hayden stomps away.


Once home, I make sure I call Hayden before I get in bed. It rings three times until he picks up. “Hello?”

“Not my usual greeting, but I’ll take it.” I sigh.

“What do you want, Sky?” Hayden sounds exasperated.

“I just called to say good night. And that I’m sorry about today. I’ve just been a little stressed.” I rub my eyes.

“Well, then come with me to the cabin this weekend. You can relax and I can give you a massage.” His voice lets me know he’s getting a little too carried away and excited. I just smile.

“Oh, Hayden.” I just picture us in the hot tub. Skinny dipping. Making out. But then I force myself to stop. I sigh. “I can’t.”

“I get it.” He says.

“And that’s why you’re my boyfriend.” I smile.

“I better be.” I hear him chuckle softly.

“Oh, Hayden, you are.” I smile.

“Okay, well, I’ll let you get some sleep. Good night, sleepy head.”

“Good night, best boyfriend.” I smile and we hang up.


And it continues like this for a while. Until Hayden has enough of my too-busy-for-you antics.


I feel abandoned. Although Hayden keeps hugging and kissing me, and holding my hand through the halls like he would any other day, he does it without sincerity. His hugs are brief. His kisses bland, and his hands never leave his sides. I didn’t know what’s wrong. Is it something I did? Something I said? Whatever it is, it really has a negative impact on him.

While he’s walking me to the shop we stop outside the door. He leans in to kiss me, but I turn away. He gives me a confused look. “Babe, what’s been going on lately? It’s like, you’re here physically, but out in la-la land mentally. Is there something you wanna tell me?”

I didn’t want to feel like I’m prying, but I have to know what’s wrong. I can’t take it anymore.

“You know, it’s been two weeks, and this is the first time you’ve asked me that.” He gives me a slight smile. Like he’s smiling to himself at me in mockery.

“I don’t follow.” I say, searching his eyes for something. Anything.

“Of course you don’t. You don’t see what I do.” He looks at me. He’s sad. I wait a beat for him to continue. “The only time I ever see you is at school or working. And I have to buy a burger just to talk to you face-to-face. We haven’t been on a date in forever. We don’t do anything anymore.” Wow.

“Well, I’ve been busy with school, and work, and the internship. And you know I volunteer at Burton tutoring. My weeks are full. And weekends are spent catching up on homework and babysitting. I have no time to even breathe!”

“Exactly! You have no time even for yourself! So, why are you bothering with me?” OMG. Is he suggesting we break up?

“What are you saying? Do you wanna break up?” I feel the tears coming. The knot in my throat starting to form.

“No, not break up. But just take a break.” He sighs and runs his hands through his cute, dirty blonde hair.

“So, you’re going to leave me when I need your support the most?” I blink a few times to keep my tears at bay.

“No,” Hayden sighs and reaches for me. I take a step back, towards the door.

“No. It’s okay. I get it. I don’t even have time for myself. Why bother with you? It’s logical.” I reach for the doorknob. “You’re logical. That’s what I liked about you.” I open the door to the shop and sneak inside.

I hear the air compressor and the guys talking. I take a deep breath and get ready to finish a layout Anderson had me start the day before.

I lay my backpack on the table and get out my pencil and calculator. I don’t talk to anyone. I don’t look at anyone. I just get out my safety glasses, layout, and head to the mill nearest me. I put in my stock and set the mill. As I take my first pass the table shakes. I put on the locks and finish it. But as I continue, the cuts keep coming out choppy and full of burs. I start to get frustrated.

“Are you okay?” Paco comes up to me.

“I’m fine.” I lie. I check my settings to see why my cuts are coming out like shit.

“You look mad.” He says. Why can’t he just leave me alone to finish my work?

“I’m not mad!” I yell at him. Some of the guys over by the tables look over at me. I just sigh. “Can you just leave me alone?” I sigh again and run my hand through my bangs. Paco just nods and goes back to putting on his jumpsuit. I sigh again and decide to give up on my piece. I just go to sit in the lab and think about Hayden.


A week passes, Spring Break to be exact, since Hayden’s suggested break, and school’s been super awkward. We see each other in the halls, in class, after school for SkillsUSA. We don’t talk. We barely look. We just go about our business. Even Anderson asks what’s going on between us. “Did you guys break up or something?”
“No. We’re on a break.” I hear Hayden answer.
“Well, whatever it is, you need to fix it. You both can’t compete like this. You’ll both come out with fingers missing. Then, we’ll all be screwed.” I just sigh and get back to fucking up my piece. I really need to stop eavesdropping.


SkillsUSA again.

I open the door and I immediately see Ben, Austin, and Hayden at the drill press. Ben looks up at me and smiles. I give him a half smile since I’m not so psyched to be here.
I can’t see what they’re doing, but I have the feeling they shouldn’t be doing it. But then again, I don’t see Anderson anywhere. Typical. I just put down my things on the table. I see them disperse, and Ben and Hayden head to the back. But Austin decides to approach me.

“What’s wrong with you and Hayden? He won’t tell me anything.” I just roll my eyes. I’ve been hearing that same question over and over again.

“He wanted to take a break.” I get out my tools.

“Is that it?” He asks in disbelief. I furrow my brows. I drop everything I’m doing and turn to Austin. “It’s just that he’s been moping around the house like YOU broke up with HIM. It’s kinda pathetic really.”

“That makes no sense. He’s the one who told me he wanted to take a break.” I furrow my brows again.

“Well, are you mad at him?”

“No. I’m just disappointed.” I frown. “I mean, I need him to support me. Not leave whenever I get busy.”

“Well, you’re only human. You can’t do everything all at once.” And with that Austin leaves. I just sigh and go to my mill.

I think about what Austin said. And it makes sense. Maybe I can drop Latino Club. Maybe skip a few Title VII meetings. Maybe ask for weekends off from work.
I’m deep in thought when Hayden runs to my side and shuts off the mill. I hadn’t been paying attention and the carbide tool took off more than 100 thousands, which caused the tool to break and my piece to shift in the holder.

I assess the mess, and I’m brought back to the present.

“He’s right.” Hayden speaks. “We can’t compete like this.” Hayden starts to straighten my piece.

“Is that all you care about?” I whisper. Hayden freezes and looks at me. But I avert my eyes to the huge chips on the table.

“No.” He stands straight up. “But it seems like you do.”

“I can quit if you want.” I suggest. I’d love to have my Hayden back.

He grabs my chin gently between his handsomely boney fingers, and tilts my head up to look at him. I stare into his icy blue eyes. “I don’t want that.” I furrow my brows. “I just want you to make time for me.” He drops his hand and I instantly miss his warm touch.

“I will. I’ve been doing some thinking and I’m going to drop Latino Club. And ask for weekends off. I just want to be with you.” I say. He does his little half smile I find so sexy.

“I want to tell you not to, but I do want you to. I want to have you all to myself every day. But I can’t. So I’ll settle for what you have to offer.” I chuckle.

“Good. Because that was all you were gonna get.” He smiles, which makes me smile. We just stand there looking in each other’s eyes. “What are you waiting for? Kiss me already.” I play. He giggles and leans down to kiss me. His soft lips mold perfectly against mine.
I stand on my tip toes to deepen the kiss. His tongue slides against my lips and into my mouth. His hot tongue rubbing against mine. I moan softly. I wrap my arms around his neck and he grabs me by the waist. “Alright, kiddos! Get back to work!” I hear Anderson call from the band saw. We part and look over at him. “Hayden, leave her alone and get back to your TIG weld.”

“Okay, Anderson!” Hayden gives me one last kiss before he leaves to the back. I am left breathless and totally starry-eyed.


Hayden drives me to his house where once we enter we go hard at each other. We don't even make it to his room. We end up on the couch. I'm in my bra and underwear. Hayden in his boxers and t-shirt.

We're making out like there's no tomorrow. His tongue battling mine for dominance, my hands tugging on his hair, his arm resting to the side of my head so he doesn't squish me, one hand on the back my thigh.

I feel his hard penis press against my stomach and I smile.

We're still going at it like a couple of hormonal teenagers when the front door opens. "Boys! I'm home!" I hear his mom's voice from the door. We both freeze and scramble to get up. But it's too late. She enters the living room to see me trying to squeeze back into my skinny jeans. "Oh, my!" She jumps as she sees us. She covers her eyes and I keep dressing.

"Shit." I mutter. "Hayden, I can't find my shirt."

"Uh." He looks about, but doesn't find it either. "Here." He removes his and puts it on me.

"Are you decent yet?" His mom asks.

"Yeah, mom." I press my lips together and stand next to a topless Hayden. I feel my cheeks redden as his mom looks at me. "Uh, Mom, this is Sky." He wraps his arm around my shoulders. "Sky, this is my mom."

"Hi." I say meekly and awkwardly, but I extend my hand for her to shake. I'm surprised that she does, but she regards me differently.

"Hi." She gives me a tight smile.

"Hayden, what is she doing here?" She asks politely.

"Uh..." He doesn't know what to say. So I come to his rescue.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. Hayden and I just got back together and we assumed nobody would be home. This is not how I imagined I'd meet you for the first time. I'm thoroughly embarrassed. I'm not going to say it won't happen again, because I don't want to start off on the wrong foot by lying. But I hope that you just give me another chance to prove my worth to date your son and be a part of his life." I say breathlessly. "I hope you can understand our embarrassment and that we're just regular hormonal teenagers that are completely mad about each other." As I finish I see her expression change. She's stunned. But I wait patiently for her to respond.

"Well, I think you've proved your worth just now." She smiles. "Would you like to join us for dinner?" Her offer surprises me.

"I would love to, but I'm not exactly dressed for a nice dinner. And I should get home anyway. My parents are probably wondering where I am." I swallow. "But I would love to some other time you feel like willingly having me in your house." I joke. She laughs.

"Okay, then. Hayden, take this young lady home. But make sure you come straight back here. I haven't even begun with you yet." He looks at him sternly. I hide my smile as she chastises him.

"Okay, mom." He puts on a sweater and some sneakers as I put on a coat of his and my shoes.

"Good bye, ma'am. I hope you aren't too hard on him." I smile.

"Oh, honey, call me Darla." She smiles.

"Well, Darla, I hope you can forgive us, and I look forward to a family dinner sometime in the future." I smile one last time. "Bye." I wave at her.

"Bye." She smiles and I'm ushered out by Hayden.

"You might have just saved my ass back there, babe." Hayden smiles as he hands me his helmet.

"You can thank me later." I give him a wink and a wicked grin spreads across his face.


Sign up to rate and review this story