Categories > Original > Romance > Kiss Me

Let Him Breathe

by sickly_ill 0 reviews

Chapter 18 - Let Him Breathe

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2013-10-09 - 1509 words

1Exciting
A/N: I have TWO reviewers now! And some of you are probably like, "Wow. Two. Awesome. Big deal." -___- But to me it is! I love hearing from my readers! The reviews on this little story I've got going inspires me to write more and better. So, hope you enjoy reading this one as much I enjoyed writing it for y'all.




I sit in the living room eating and chatting with my cousins. We’re watching music videos. It’s getting dark and the guys are coming in now. I prepare a plate for Hayden and he eats everything. Even asks for seconds. I gladly serve him another plate as I watch him get along with the guys. I smile. I put the second plate in front of him and am about to walk away when he wraps an arm around my waist and pulls me into his lap. “Thank you.” He kisses me.

“For what?” I blush and tuck some hair behind me ear. What a public display of affection in front of the men in my family.

“Everything.” I finally see into his hooded eyes. He’s buzzed.

I just smile. “Eat.” I demand. “I’ll get you some water.” I get up and head into the kitchen to get him a water bottle from the fridge. I can’t have a drunk Hayden. Just then Elio comes in the kitchen. I punch his arm.

“Ow! What the hell?” He rubs his bicep.

“You promised you would watch Hayden!” I whisper harshly.

“C’mon, Sky. He’s letting up. You need to let him breathe. Damn. And he’s not drunk. He’s just buzzed.” Elio explains. I frown and go out to give Hayden his water. I see an open can in front of him. I take it and replace its place with the water.

“No more drinking, okay?” I say.

“Fine.” Hayden nods and finishes his plate.


I’m in my room getting Elio’s present. Concert tickets to go see Gerardo Ortiz. His favorite Mexican singer. I also got Hayden and I some. So we can double date. It’d be fun. The concert’s in two months. I think I can teach Hayden enough moves by then.

Suddenly, my door swings open. Hayden comes in and closes the door behind him. He’s sobered up a little. “Hey, I was looking for you.” He smirks.

“Sorry. I was just getting Elio’s present.” I wave the envelope in the air.

“He’s gonna trip.” He smiles.

“I hope so.” I bite my lip. Things get awkward when he doesn’t respond and we’re just standing more than a yard apart some each other. In my room. Alone.

“Are you mad at me?” Hayden shoves his hands into his pockets and looks down at my cream carpet.

“I’m not mad.” I say. “I’m just disappointed.” I frown.

“In me?” He glances up at me.

“Yes.” I whisper.

“Babe, I didn’t mean to drink so much. But I just wanted to unwind and relax. We were just having a fun time. I just lost count.” He shrugs, but guilt is evident on his face.

“I know. But I see my cousins and tias and see their husbands and boyfriends getting drunk and then they have to deal with their bullshit. I don’t want us to be like them. If you wanna get drunk fine, but do it when I’m not around. And if I am just know I’m not gonna baby you until you feel better. I’m not gonna be there when you puke to clean it up. It was your decision.” I say. He needs to know I don’t want a drunk for a boyfriend.

“Okay then.” He says with a little bit of annoyance in his voice.

“Well, I’m just letting you know. I don’t want a drunk boyfriend making an ass out of himself.” I spit at him.

“I wasn’t drunk!” He almost shouts.

“Whatever, Hayden.” I brush passed him and open my door. Just as I walk out he grabs my arm. I shoot him a warning look, but he doesn’t let go. Instead he pulls me back into my room. “You better get your fucking hands off me.” I say through gritted teeth. He just pulls me to him. I pull my arm from his grasp and we stare each other down. Our tension is interrupted when his phone rings. He looks at it. A text.

“Austin’s outside.” He says. “I need to go. I got work tomorrow.” He leans down to kiss me, but I turn away. So he kisses my cheek instead and sighs. His breath tickling my shoulder. “I’ll call you tomorrow.” He brushes passed me and I watch as he bids everyone a good night, Elio a happy birthday, takes home the left overs my mom prepared for him in her new Tupperware, and leaves.

Elio comes up to me in the hall. “What’s wrong?” He asks.

“Nothing.” I fake a smile. “Here.” I hand him his envelope.

“What’s this?” He asks.

“Your birthday present. From me.” I watch as he opens it and reads the tickets. His eyes go wide and he grins.

“Whaaaat?” He chuckles. “Oh my God!” He grins more.

“I thought you’d like ‘em.” I giggle.

“There’s two.” He notices.

“I thought we’d double date. Hayden, me, and you and your date.” I suggest.

“That’d be cool.” He nods. “Thank you, hermanita.” He hugs me tightly.

“Happy Birthday.” I hug him back.


It’s Sunday and Hayden still hasn’t called. And I’m too afraid to call first. What if I did something wrong? What if I’m a controlling girlfriend and he doesn’t want to be with me anymore? There are so many scenarios running in my head that I get lightheaded. I just decide to take a nap. I don’t have anything to do today anyway. No work. No internship. No Skills USA. Not even chores!

When I finally wake up I check my phone. Nope. No missed calls or texts. I sigh and just stay in bed. Staring up at the ceiling. Just then there’s a soft knock at my door. “What?” I look over at it. And in comes Hayden. Dirty from work. I sit up instantly.

“Uh, hey.” He closes the door and stays there. Standing.

“Hi.” I say.

“Uh, sorry I haven’t called. I’ve just been working.” He rubs the back of his neck.

“It’s okay.” I shrug.

“No, it’s not. I’ve been a douche bag. And I don’t wanna be.” He sighs.

“And I don’t wanna be a controlling girlfriend.” I frown.

“I never said you were.” He looks up at me in shock.

“Well, I just thought that the way I acted at Elio’s party was a little controlling and that maybe was the reason you didn’t call.” I shrug again.

“Not at all. I see that all you’re trying to do is make me a better person. And I wanna be a better person. For you. And for myself. And for my family. I even stopped smoking.”

“Then why were you smoking at the wedding?”

“Smoking is a stress reliever for me. It always has been. And that night I was stressed. And embarrassed. I didn’t know what else to do.” He shrugs this time. I just sigh.

“I just don’t want to be like the females in my family. Putting up with unnecessary bullshit because their men wanna get shit faced.” I bring my knees to my chest and lay my head on them.

“I know. And I see that now. Babe,” He comes to sit in front of me on my bed. “I get it. And I’m sorry. And I know what I need to do to make things right with you.” He smirks.

“And what is that?” I shift my head so that now my chin is resting on my knees. He just smiles and kisses me slowly and sensually. Butterflies and sparks. When he pulls back I keep my eyes closed and bite my lip. I open them and he’s grinning at me.

“I love you.” He cups my cheek.

“I love you too.” I smile. And just like that we go back to being the weird couple that we are.

“So, what are you doing Friday?” Hayden asks.

“Why?” I tease him.

“What do you mean why? I wanna take your fine ass out.” I giggle at his comment about my ass.

“Mmm, where to?” I cock an eyebrow at him.

“How about to the movies? I heard Prisoners is good.” He suggests.

“Sure. I’ll go see a movie with you. Right after you kiss me.” I smile. He obliges and we hang out in my room for a bit until he has to go home.
Sign up to rate and review this story