Categories > TV > Bill > Change Partners

Differences of opinion

by CharmedLassie 1 review

Sun Hill has always been at the centre of complicated love ties but could this one beat the bunch? WARNING ff

Category: Bill - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst, Romance - Characters: Samantha Nixon, Sheelagh Murphy - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2005-06-10 - Updated: 2005-06-10 - 686 words

0Unrated
*
Phil strutted into CID Tuesday morning, a Cheshire Cat grin on his face. 'Morning, all.'

'You look happy,' Terry commented.

'Yeah, I am, mate.'

'Oh, aye?' Gary Best joined the conversation. 'Get lucky, did ya?'

With her back to them Sam felt free to roll her eyes.

'Wouldn't you like to know?'

As Phil came round to sit as his desk, Sam arranged her face into a mask of boredom. 'Morning.'

'Everything alright?'

'Why wouldn't it be?'

'Hey.' He leaned a little over the desks. 'I was on my own last night.'

Determined not to show him anything she looked back to the statement she was reading. 'Right.'

'Come on, don't pretend you don't care.'

'Phil, we're at work.'

'Just wanted you to know.'

He settled down to a pile of paperwork while Sam tired in vain to concentrate on her own work. Phil kept looking up, it was distracting, especially when she could take a guess at what he was thinking.

Still, she had to admit the attention was nice.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'You reckon this is the place?' Gabriel asked sarcastically as the duo approached a house practically rocking with screams.

'Let's hazard a guess, shall we?' Sheelagh took the lead, banging heavily on the door.

The yelling ceased. After a moment a figure appeared in the glass, a distorted swirl. The door was opened by a forty-something male, distinctive by a scratch running the full length of his left cheek. 'Yes, what?'

'A neighbour reported shouting,' Gabriel said.

'So?'

'So, we came to check it out. Mr Levison, yes?'

Sheelagh was busy examining the wound. 'Are you alright, Sir?'

'Look, what is this?' He put his hand to his face, touching blood. 'This is between me and my wife.'

'Can we speak to your wife, Sir?' Gabriel questioned.

'You're not needed here!'

'All the same,' Sheelagh pressed before Gabriel could speak. 'It might be a good idea.'

'Fine.' He stepped aside. 'If it'll get you out of the way.'

'Very kind of you,' Gabriel muttered as Sheelagh followed him into the pristine house.

Everything seemed in order. There were no tell-tale signs of domestic violence, smashed objects or the like but something didn't feel right. If only she could put her finger on exactly what.

The pair were led into the kitchen, Sheelagh noticed a reaction on the husband's part when he caught sight of his wife.

'Mrs Levison?' Gabriel questioned the rather attractive woman.

'Yes.' She put her mug down and glanced to her husband. 'Sorry, what is this about?'

'One of your neighbours reported a disturbance. We're obliged to check it out.'

Was it Sheelagh's imagination or was he flirting? For goodness sake, the woman's husband was standing right there!

Mrs Levison paused for a moment. I can't think what that might have been. Jack?'

'That's what I said.'

Sheelagh glanced at Gabriel, he didn't seem bothered either way. It was down to her then. 'Were you arguing at all?'

Mrs Levison smiled. Not at all.'

'Right then,' Gabriel said. 'Seems to be a misunderstanding. We'll be leaving.'

'Pardon?' Sheelagh looked at him.

'You heard them. We're not needed.'


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Here.' A cup of coffee plopped onto the desk beside her pile of papers. 'You need it.'

She was determined not to encourage him, barely glancing up, she answered, 'Why would that be, Phil?'

He grinned. 'You've been staring at your desk all morning. Thought you were tired.'

'Sorry if I didn't want to hear about your night out.'

'You are jealous then.'

'Interested's more the word. You're a friend after all.'

'Oh, Sam!'

Sighing, she put her pen down. 'Eight o'clock. Outside the station.'

He raised an eyebrow. 'I don't take orders well.'

'You'll take this one.'


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Stop going on about it, Sheelagh!'

'Sorry, I think it needs discussing. The way you behaved back there was unprofessional, not to mention inappropriate.'

'Look, the call was just an overreaction.'

'Oh, and I suppose he scratched himself, did he?'

Gabriel shook his head. 'She wasn't hitting him.'

'In your world that can't happen then?'

'It's not likely, okay?'

She snorted. 'You better hope you're right, Gabriel.'
Sign up to rate and review this story