Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Life is Like T-Rex

Led to the Sea

by Shlincoln 0 reviews

In which Harry attends to work.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor,Romance - Characters: Ginny,Harry - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2013-10-27 - 3325 words

0Unrated
Life is Like T-Rex

by: slincoln

Disclaimer: The characters from Harry Potter belong to JK Rowling and are used here without permission. The story image is property of Jenny Owen Youngs and is also reproduced without permission. Story concept based on How I Met Your Mother by Carter Bays and Craig Thomas.

"Not trying to make you think this is some kind of great big deal
I just know exactly how you feel
I could be the thing you reach for in the middle of the night Let me be the one to treat you right."-Last Person, Jenny Owen Youngs

Chapter Three: Led to the Sea

****

The next day I was sitting at my desk in the Auror's Office when my boss, Gawain Robards, walked up. "Potter!" he snapped. "There's been another Sergius Mansfield sighting." Mansfield was a very low-level Death Eater during the war, who in the years after attempted to keep up the fight. Compared to someone like Bellatrix Lestrange he was a small time criminal, but even a two-bit thug is capable of using an Unforgivable Curse. I had been tracking Mansfield for several months at that point, but he had always managed to stay one step ahead of me.

"Where sir?"

"Broadstairs, in Kent, take Longbottom, see what you can find out, and be discrete. Try not to get into any more duels in front of crowds of Muggles."

"I never set out with that in mind sir."

"Good, be sure to keep it that way." Robards turned and walked back to his office.

I stood up and my way over to Neville's desk. "Come on Nev, we're going to the beach."

Neville leaned back in his chair. "Chasing shadows again Harry?"

I shrugged, "We got a tip on Mansfield, and I want to put that nasty bugger in Azkaban."

"No complaints from me there, but we've been after him for a while now and there have been a lot of leads." He stood up. "But that doesn't mean we stop running them down does it?"

I clapped Neville on the back. "Nobody ever said the life on an Auror was glamorous."


"That's certainly true," Neville agreed.

****

We Apparated to just outside Broadstairs and walked the rest of the way into town. Broadstairs is a pleasant enough little seaside town and it was a clear summer morning so there were certainly worse ways to spend our day. I had a Muggle picture of Mansfield and we both carried fake police badges identifying ourselves as detective inspectors with the MPS. We made our way through the town, showing the picture around and asking if anyone recognised it.

After spending the morning fruitlessly asking questions in knickknack shops up and down the high street we sat down for lunch in an open air cafe. "Why do you think Mansfield would come here?" Neville asked me.

"I dunno, hiding out? Meeting someone sneaking over from France? He likes the sea?"

"So you think he's here?"

I gazed out across the street at the Muggles getting in one last holiday before the summer break ended. "If you were a Death Eater looking to cause trouble this would be a good place to do it."

At that moment our waitress came by to take our orders, "Excuse me," I asked as I flashed my badge. "Have you seen this man?" I held out the picture of Mansfield.

"Oh sure, he's stopped in for dinner a few times. Is he some kind of criminal?"

"We just want to ask him a few questions," I replied smoothly.

"If I do seem him again is there a number I can reach your at, or should I just call the local police?"

Neville reached into his jacket pocket and removed a business card. "Call this number and leave a message for DI Longbottom," he told the waitress.

She took the card and stuffed it in her apron. "I do try to help the police, especially in times like these. Now what would you chaps like to order?"

"Once we're done here why don't you continue to canvass the town," I told Neville after we placed our orders.

"You'll stay behind to see if Mansfield shows? Out of sight I'm assuming."

"Of course," I tapped the pocket of my jacket that held my Invisibility Cloak. "If you find anything contact me with your DA coin."

"Hermione's right you know, when we're out around Muggles we really should carry mobiles. We don't exactly blend staring at a coin."

"I'll take it up with Robards when we get back." We finished our lunch and set about our appointed tasks.

Kids let me tell you, there is no more boring job in the world than a stakeout. Especially when you're wearing an Invisibility Cloak. It did give me plenty of time to think, and yes most of that time was spent thinking about your mother. What I would say to her, what she would say to me. In retrospect I should have been thinking more about what Aunt hermione and Uncle ron told me the night before, but introspection is never fun, especially compared to daydreams.

My patience was rewarded when Mansfield entered the cafe several hours later. I watched as he ordered his dinner. Mansfield was the half-blood bastard son of...actually, I don't remember who his father was so let's just say Yaxley, which explained his ease in dealing with Muggles. It probably was also how he managed to avoid us for so long.

****

"Dad?" Albus asked. "What does this have to do with Mum?"

"Quiet Al," James snapped. "The story's just starting to get good."

"I promise you, this is vitally important to the story," I assured Albus.

****

When Mansfield finished his meal I followed him out of the cafe and to a small cottage on the outskirts of town. After I was confident he wasn't going anywhere I walked a safe distance away and signaled for Neville to join me.

"I'm surprised you didn't go charging in after him," Neville said after Apparating next to me.

"Robards told me to be discrete, this is me being discrete."

"So what do we do now?"

"Message Ron, let him know where we are. I'll scout around the cottage and check for wards. Then we'll get him out of there." I pulled the Invisibility Cloak back on and cautiously made my way towards the cottage.

As you might expect, the cottage was off by itself, near a high cliff overlooking the Channel. There were some wards surrounding the little building, but nothing that would cause Neville or I any difficulties. Satisfied that we weren't walking into too obvious of a trap I turned to collect Neville for the arrest. Suddenly the door to the cottage banged open and Mansfield walked out. Before I had a chance to react he Disapparated away.

I bit back and curse and tore off the Invisibility Cloak. Neville quickly rushed up to where I was standing. "D'you think he made us?"

"No," I said with a shake of my head. "I expect if he caught wind we were here he would've destroyed the cottage on his way out." I drew my wand. "Fancy having a look inside?"

The interior of the cottage was extremely sparse, if you didn't know any better you'd think it abandoned. It was basically one room on the inside with a bed and bath attached. There was very little by way of furniture and no personal items of any sort visible.

"Well I'll take out here and you can have the bedroom," Neville said.

Nodding my understanding I walked into the small bedroom and found that like the rest of the cottage it was not very lived in. There was however, a desk with papers strewn about on it. My curiosity piqued I leafed through them and found a collection of trains schedules, photos, and references to two other former Death Eaters. It was obvious they were planning something big, and it appeared they were targeting Muggles. It had taken a lot of work on Minister Shaklebolt's part to smooth over relations with the Muggle government after the war and another round of Wizard on Muggle violence would cause massive diplomatic headaches for everyone involved. The whole affair had quickly turned from tracking down a lone hold out to a much larger case, and it presented a great opportunity to break the back of the former Death Eater network. But at the same time it posed a hard dilemma, there was nothing in the documents that said where the other Death Eaters were, or when they would make their move. Arresting Mansfield now would undoubtably force the rest of his group into hiding. 

I didn't have to debate for long however because the sound of the cottage's front door opening and closing echoed through the house. I cautiously looked into the living room and saw Neville and Mansfield staring at each other dumbfounded. Mansfield came to his sense a fraction quicker than Neville and with a snarl fired an Avada Kadavra in Neville's direction. Thankfully Neville jumped out of the way and the curse sailed harmlessly past him. Mansfield was so focused on Neville that it was easy for me to drop him with a Stupefy.

"You alright there Nev?" I called out.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Neville replied as he walked over to the unconscious Death Eater and snatched his wand off the ground. "That sure was a bit close though wasn't it?"

I shrugged, "We've been in worse scrapes," I said lightly. "I found out what he's up to, and it's big. He's working with Blenheim Vogler and Jason Thomas Harris."

Neville's eyes widened, "Those are two nasty pieces of work. If we could get our hands on them it would mean the end of the holdouts."

"But that's not all," I then told Neville about the attack plans I found in the bedroom.

"When will these blokes take a hint and just give up already? Haven't they heard they lost the war?"

"That certainly would make our lives easier. Still this isn't the time for us to be thinking about how we'd like the world to be. We have to get this lump back to the Ministry for questioning."

"But Harry, once they find out we knicked Mansfield they'll scamper back underground."

"I know, but we can't Obliviate him. Vogler's too good with memory charms not to notice. Wait, I have it. We tell the Prophet he's dead, fell wrong after getting hit by a stunner, and that it happened somewhere far away from here. That should be enough to keep Vogler and Harris from skiving off."

"The Prophet won't like being lied to."

"They've told enough lies about me over the years for everyone else's agendas. The least they could do now is tell some for me."

"We could also tell old Xenophilious Lovegood the truth since no one believes the Quibbler."

"Now that is some clever thinking Nev," I cast a levitating charm on Mansfield's prone form then tossed the Invisibility Cloak over him.

"That thing really does have infinite uses," Neville said appreciatively.

"Well once use actually, but lots of different ways to apply it," I replied before Apparating back to the Ministry, Mansfield firmly in tow.

****

I was writing up my report on the events of the day when Neville pulled a chair up to my desk. "Mansfield's secure in a holding cell." He announced. "What did Robards have to say about your plan?"

"He agreed, not that I thought he wouldn't. Catching Vogler and Harris is too important."

"That's good," Neville squirmed in his chair. "Y'know Harry, I'm thinking I'm going to propose to Hannah."

I looked up from my paperwork, "Nev, that's brilliant. Ron must have rubbed off on you?"

Neville shook his head, "Nah I've been thinking about it for a while now. The thing is Hannah isn't exactly comfortable with my work as an Auror, and truth be told so am I."

"What are getting at Nev?"

"What I'm saying is I'm not cut out for this job, not like you or Ron."

"Nonsense, you're a great Auror."

"I'm a good Auror Harry, you're great."

"Does this have anything to do with what happened today?"

"What? No of course not. Merlin Harry, after six years of school with you, then that last year at Hogwarts, it'll take more than some two bit Death Eater lobbing a killing curse at my head to make me piss myself." We both chuckled. "No, like I said, this is something I've been considering for a while, even before I decided to propose to Hannah. I could stay here, follow in my parents' footsteps and even be happy, but it's just not me."

"So how long have you felt this way?" I asked.

"Honestly? From the start. I signed on after the war because everything was in such shambles, and I wanted to do my part to help put it back together. Plus my parents were Aurors and I wanted to have that connection with them. And if I'm perfectly honest I wanted to have one last grand adventure with my mates. Y'know sometimes I wonder what would've happened if I'd gone with the three of you that night our first year at Hogwarts."

"We wouldn't have won the House Cup for one thing," I said lightly.

Neville cuffed me on the shoulder. "That's kind of you to say, but you know what I mean. We might be friends, but you didn't ask me to go chasing all over England trying to stop Voldemort. A decision I'm fine with I might add, but yeah I wanted to be in the innermost circle for once, to try it on if you like."

"And now that you have?"

"It's bloody exhausting! I don't know how Ron's managed to keep up with you for a whole decade!" Kids, at the time I thought that statement made me feel old. The fact that this conversation happened almost twenty years ago really makes me feel old.

"So what are you going to do instead of this glamorous life?"

"I've been talking to Professor Sprout and she's thinking about retiring in a few year's time. I've always been good at Herbology, so I figured why not teach?" He said with a shrug.

"Are you sure? My recollection is that teaching at Hogwarts isn't much safer than being an Auror."

"I figure now that Voldemort's been dealt with all I have to worry about are the students."

"Which let's be honest, are more of a threat than he ever was," I interjected. "You do realise what Sprout's game is don't you? She's trying to get out before the next generation of Weasley's arrive."

"Next generation?" Neville asked as the realisation dawned.

"Oh sure, little Victoire's sweet enough, but you know any child of Hermione and Ron is going to be a handful. To say nothing of George and Angelina, and heaven help you if Ginny ever has children."

"Especially if their last name is Potter. That's the truly frightening combination."

"Yeah well I don't think you have to worry about that anytime soon, if ever," I grumbled, then took a deep breath. "Honestly Nev, I'll hate to see you go, but you always were the best at Herbology out of our year, and it'll be good to have at least one member of the original DA back at Hogwarts."

"You know Harry, McGonagal would love to have you back too. You'd be the best Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher the school's ever had!"

"Except for Remus."

"Except for Remus," Neville agreed.

"No offense Neville, but the thought of me teaching classes at Hogwarts is only slightly less ridiculous than if George Weasley was suddenly appointed Headmaster. This is right where I need to be."

"I know, but it never hurts to ask." To this day every time I see Neville he asks if I'm ready to join the ranks of academia.

****

"That would be so much fun if you taught DADA dad," Albus said.

"Somehow I don't think your brother or sister approve of that idea," I replied with a chuckle.

"No, it would be brilliant, right Lil?" A visibly shaken James asked his sister.

"Yeah, brilliant," Lily replied unenthusiastically.

"I was sorely tempted to take Neville up on his offer for this year, what with it being James' last and all." Inwardly I laughed at the pained expression that flashed across my eldest son's face. "But I decided I didn't want to show up my children with my brilliant spell work." The trio smirked at each other, I might have defeated the darkest wizard in history, but try telling that to my children. "Now, as I was saying..."

****

"So why are you telling me this now?" I asked Neville.

"Because I'm going onto a reduced schedule. Splitting my time between here and Hogwarts. Sprout asked that I be her teaching assistant at first to see how I like it and get me up to speed, but I think she's mostly interested in having someone else do all her grading for her."

"You have to start somewhere," I reasoned.

"That you do," Neville agreed. "So you're ok with this Harry?"

"Why wouldn't I be? Seriously Neville, this is a tremendous opportunity and I'm glad you're taking it. Besides like you said, you're not leaving right away, and we can still get you to consult on any Herbology questions right?"

"Of course, once and Auror, always an Auror."

"In that case you can go with my blessing. You always were rubbish at interrogations anyway."

"You're just an arse, you know that Harry?" He said with a chuckle. "So what's this I'm hearing about you and Ginny?"

"It's nothing, we're just getting reacquainted is all, for the wedding," I hastily added.

"I'm sure you don't want to hear this from me Harry, but Ginny's the only witch the country, maybe the world, who can possibly put up with you. Whatever you have to do to get her back, do it."

"Honestly Nev, it's not like that.." I started to protest.

"Harry, if there's one thing I've learned from that war it's that life's too short to lie to yourself, go tell her how you feel."

"I hate to break it to you Neville, but I kind of already did accidentally, and she didn't take it well."

"But I was the one who spent that last year at Hogwarts with her. Trust me Harry, you're the bloke for her."

"That was a long time ago mate."

"And yet you're still hung up on her." He stood up and slapped me on the shoulder. "Anyway I should let you get back to work. Thanks for being so understanding, and keep in mind what I said about Ginny."

"I will, I promise Nev."

"That's the best I can hope for, see you tomorrow Harry, I've got to go have a long talk with Hannah." Neville waved and walked out of the office.

Kids, your Aunt Hermione is by far the smartest person I've ever known, but if you were to ask me who the wisest wizard I know is, I'd say Neville Longbottom every time. Out of all my friends he's always had the best sense of himself, and if I'd paid closer attention to what he had to say...well I'm getting ahead of myself.

****

Author's Notes: And here we start what I like to think of as the "Auror arc." It's my own little spin on the architect story lines HIMYM likes to use from time to time. Hopefully it'll be appropriately action. Fun fact, I spent quite a bit of time researching small towns along the English coastline before settling on Broadstairs. If anyone cares the title for this chapter comes from the Jenny Owen Youngs' song of the same name. Thanks again for reading.

-sam
Sign up to rate and review this story