Categories > Original > Romance > The Forgotten Pieces (A Tom Hiddleston story)

To Linger

by gothicangel 0 reviews

Lara's attempts in retrieving the happenings of the last three years.

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2013-10-27 - 1544 words

0Unrated
I rubbed the plain white cast holding my Radius bone together as pain shot through my arm. I hissed through my gritted teeth as I answered my phone that was lying underneath my pillow. I unintentionally rolled over onto my broken arm when I was abruptly awoken from my slumber by my phone ringing a sound of music that I have never heard of.
“Lara!” the sound of my supposed long-term boyfriend reached my ears. “What happened? Are you okay?” he sounded so rushed and full of panic.
“I just put my weight onto my arm!” my usual high-pitched voice cracked into a foolish wailing sound.
“For heaven’s sake Lara! I should not have left you alone!” he was a ball of worry.
I opened my mouth to calm his nerves and attempt in pursuing him to keep sane.
“I’m on my break at work, I’ll get off work for the rest of the day and come over to-“
“Slow down!” I interrupted the obviously psycho man. My fingers gripped my smartphone whilst firmly pressed against my ear. I was in a sitting position, my arm no longer attracting my brain of its pain. I sighed before I let my lips move against my mind’s will, “If you knew me that well, then you would know that I don’t like being pestered. So if you please just let me speak,” I paused and listened to silence through the receiver. “I’m okay, I just rolled over onto my arm. It’s not hurting now so just stay at work, okay?”
“Sorry,” there was no sound after the apology for a moment and in that moment I started to batter myself over speaking to him in a harsh tone.
He was my boyfriend after all and he did have the ultimate right to worry over his vulnerable girlfriend feeling the slightest pain. However, I was not use to this. Not to him or the fact of having a boyfriend. I just did my own thing and didn’t expect someone or anyone for that matter to come to my aid every time something happened. To even think that this man has been by my side through my coma and giving up his priorities to look after his girlfriend who did not remember him would yield me to give him credit was beyond question.
“I apologise,” I said in a formal matter after the moment of silence that was clearly causing me guilt in the bottom pit of my stomach.
“You don’t need to apologise. I have completely forgotten to change my act and should have known that you do not appreciate obsessive people, especially an obsessive boyfriend.”
I heard him chuckle through the receiver. This conversation was becoming difficult to handle, “It’s nice to have someone worry,” I replied in a genuine tone.

Sleeping after the phone conversation with Tom was out of the agenda since attempting to fall back asleep would bring out guilty thoughts. Instead I used the morning and early afternoon rummaging through my apartment to find out about who I am, well, was. I wasn’t sure how to process that. To find evidence of who I was? Who I have forgotten? Maybe. Did that however signify that who I am now was who I was three years ago? I was becoming delirious with these foolish thoughts. I cleared my mind and decided to impersonate a detective.
“Who is Lara Riley?” I asked myself in a deep voice.
I picked through the many pieces of paper laying on the coffee table in the lounge room. Scanning through what looked like my notes and notes from work, it appears that I was a considerable good assistant editor although I had not the full understanding of what my actual position at my job was. A vibrant colourful piece peaked through the plain white papers which caught my curious eyes. I picked up what looked like a magazine with my index finger and thumb still impersonating a detective. The title of the magazine read Rolling Stones. My jaw dropped. I must have been fantastic at what I do to land a job in one of the most well-known magazines in the world.
“Wow, Lara is fantastic!” I exclaimed. I suddenly felt more determined to reunite with my memories. I just wanted to remember to see what it feels like to live my dream.

I abruptly stood up from my crouching position next to the coffee table. I decided that these few days were enough to live as a twenty three year old and start getting into my daily routine to trigger my lost memories. My mind proceeded to a blank when I struggled to think of what my daily routine might have been. For one, it would be seeing Tom however I did not think it would be the perfect shot in retrieving my memories. I wanted to undergo a task on my own.

A scoff escaped my lips as my eyes absently glanced out my window which let the soft light of the overcast afternoon into the lounge room. I grabbed my coat that I have worn the previous night and headed toward the front door. The sight of the area I live in would obviously have a high chance of reuniting with my lost memories.

My uninjured hand was holding my coat tight around my shivering body as I wandered through empty streets. The spontaneous decision was not thoroughly thought out since I was beginning to have a slight annoyance about having the sling to hold my broken arm in which prevented properly wearing my coat and that I should have thought of a clear destination rather than absently wandering around. However my determination to put the attempts in retrieving my lost memories into progress administered high hopes that the goal was not far now.

I trudged through empty streets as I took in London’s atmosphere. It was beautiful. Despite the bitter cold, this city was embarked with so much beauty and history. Slowly I realised that I was entering a popular section of the city that was bustling with people. Most of them were likely making their way home from work or school.

It was then that I stopped walking in the midst of bustling busy people to raised my head up in the overcast sky to realise that it was slowly becoming darker. The day has passed so quickly and I still did not recognise anything in the places that I’ve absently walked through. I sighed in defeat, accepting the fact that I might not be able to recover my memories at least not so soon after the accident.

Slowly turning I walked back to the direction that I have emerged from but abruptly stopped. My head whipped around causing strands of dark hair to fall over my pale face. My palms started to sweat against the cold. I could not remember the path I have taken to arrive at this city. I felt so terrible and initiated feelings of anguish about deciding to walk around to retrieve my memory. It was such a foolish idea in the first place. Being spontaneous seemed like a great idea at the time but I did not think of the possible consequences unfortunately.

As I was trying to think of possible solutions to get myself home my phone in my coat started to ring that awful tune again signalling that someone was calling me. Retrieving the phone from my pocket, I took a moment to look at the screen to see who wanted to contact me. Ethan. I stared blankly at the screen. Who was Ethan?

I did not bother to think and answered the phone instead.
“Lara! I heard about the accident! Are you okay? I am so sorry I did not visit! I’m actually not doing anything right now and was wondering if I could come over?” a smooth English accent sounding distressed was heard from the receiver.
“Uh, Ethan?” I paused trying to think of a better way to construct my next sentence. “The accident unfortunately caused me to…”
“Lose your memory, I know,” the man on the other end of the phone sounded calm.
“Yes, and I am so sorry but I do not remember…” I was unable to continue.
“It’s okay, you don’t even remember your beloved boyfriend which is fine with me,” I could feel him grin. “I’m Ethan, your friend at work. I write about music in the magazine.”
“Oh okay, Ethan, I’d love to… get to know you… if that’s a good way to put it… did you want to meet up somewhere?”
“Yes, we can start over! From memory, I was a jerk when I first met you… where would you like to meet?”

______

Took me awhile to wrap up this chapter due to uni and assignments. But it's over for the year, so I can get back to it. I enjoy writing this solely because it takes me away from reality.

Thank you to those who read, this is more of a filler than anything dramatic happening. I hope it is not as boring.

Hope to see reviews!
Sign up to rate and review this story