Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Michiyuki

Chapter 6-The Letter That Brings Hope

by tiny14xx 0 reviews

Kakashi finds the Amaterasu family in their grief and explains Munenori's actions to Akira before reading a letter left to her by her deceased brother at her request.

Category: Naruto - Rating: G - Genres: Angst - Characters: Kakashi - Published: 2013-10-30 - 912 words

0Unrated
When Kakashi arrived at the Amaterasu home, he found Katsumoto lying flat on his back, staring blankly at the ceiling as tears streamed from his eyes, a picture of Munenori and Katsumi standing next to each other as Munenori held a baby Akira on his chest. Kiriko was sitting at the table clutching what looked like old articles of clothing which he assumed belonged to the two of her now deceased children. He felt awful for them, but the one he was more focused on was now sitting on the sill of the window, staring out at the village as her tears streaming down her face silently. As he came closer to her, he saw the package from Munenori opened next to her.
“Have you heard?” Rubbing the back of his neck with a small sigh, Kakashi nods.
“I have…” Wiping away her tears, Akira turned towards him, her puffy and red rimmed eyes still watery.
“Kakashi… do you think…do you think that Aniki knew he was going to die somehow?” Kakashi tried not to give her a reaction that could tell her he knew while inside he felt surprised.
“W-Why would you think that?” She looks down as she lifted an identical pendant to the one around his wrist. He had guessed it was the one he had seen around Munenori’s neck everyday.
“He left me things…if he wanted me to have them when I was a genin…couldn’t he have waited to give it to me himself? It made me think that…that maybe Aniki didn’t think he was ever coming home…”
“Akira-“
“Why would he go then? Did Aniki hate being with us?” Kakashi closed the distance between them before sitting down next to her and taking one of her hands.
“Of course he didn’t. He loved you all very much, I could see it in his eyes.”
“Then why would he go?” With a sigh, Kakashi pulled her close, his hand gently rubbing her back as she rest her head on his shoulder, more tears streaming down her face.
“He wanted to protect those he cares for. He died as a shinobi should, with his honor and his beliefs…his will to keep his loved ones safe and happy.”As he uttered those words, he wondered that when she found out the truth, if she ever found out the truth...would she hate him after knowing that he knew about it all the entire time and did nothing to prevent it?
“I would have been happier if he hadn’t gone…” Kakashi chuckles softly.
“I know, but you will learn that there will always be loss in the life of a shinobi.” Pulling away, Akira dug into the package and pulled out a sealed letter with her name written on the envelope.
“What is it?”
“It is a letter from Aniki…could you…could you read it for me? I feel like I may break down again if I read it myself…” Kakashi gave her a small nod before hesitantly taking the envelope and opening it. He felt it was something private that only Akira should read but since she had asked him to, he couldn’t say no...especially not now.
“Akira…if you are reading this…you were either too impatient to wait until you were a genin to read this or you waited like I had instructed of you.” Kakashi paused a moment to watch her purse her lips and pout.
“That is so like him…” The man chuckles before continuing on.
“This also means that you know I am no longer with you. Forgive me. This was a very difficult decision for me to make and I am sure, that although you may not understand now why I have done what I did, you will understand in time as you get older. Sometimes, it is necessary to make sacrifices for the people you love. I was prepared to make mine.
You may hate me after you find out the truth, but know that I still love you, and that is why I have made this decision. It may be unfair of me to ask, but please try not to be sad about me parting with you. The life of a shinobi is not easy my dear. You will always lose those you love in battle but you need to always remember what they sought to protect, what they died to protect and honor them for that instead of mourning them for their death. When you become older, you will find what you want to protect, and you will understand why I have made the choices I have made since you will most likely do the same. My dear sister, I cherish the times we have had together and hope that you are able to find happiness without my presence and wish that you are as successful a shinobi as I believe that you will be. I have high hopes for you Akira. Good luck and goodbye for the last time. Love always, Munenori.” Kakashi closed the letter and placed it into the envelope before setting it down and turning his gaze to her. She was smiling softly as she gripped the crystal. Although there were still tears streaming from her eyes, she seemed more at peace than filled with grief.
“Thank you Kakashi.” He nods as he continued to watch her, noticing the newfound determination in her eyes.
Sign up to rate and review this story