Categories > Original > Romance > Kiss Me

Masked Faces

by sickly_ill 0 reviews

Chapter 28 - Masked Faces

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2013-11-16 - 3424 words

0Unrated
I see lights. Ceilings. Masked faces. Tubes. Blood. Latex gloves. And I’m gone again.

My body is immobile. I can’t move anything. I hear beeping. My head is pounding. Pitch black.

I can feel my body. Limp. Weak. But I can flex my fingers. I blink my eyes open. Prying them. I see dim light. More beeping. There’s something in my nose. Once my eyes adjust more I look around the room. I move my head over to the left and see my mom sleeping on a cushioned chair. I look to my right and there’s a sink. Water. My throat is dry. I squirm, but everything hurts. I have a massive headache. I try to mumble something, but nothing comes out. I just end up coughing from my itchy throat. I squirm more. I need to get out of bed. I shimmy a little, but am stopped when the door swings open. My dad walks through. He looks like hell. He looks over at me and is shocked. Then he smiles, relieved. “Hey.” He walks up to my bedside. I try to mumble something again, but come up short. “I’ll get the nurse.” He leaves.

A male nurse walks in. He’s cute. “Hi, there, Cielo.” He greets me with a smile. “Welcome back.” He checks my monitors I didn’t notice I was connected to. “Is there anything you need?” He asks sincerely. I press my lips together and focus on making some sort of sound. The nurse patiently waits. My dad looking anxious.

“Water.” I manage to choke out. The nurse smiles.

“Of course.” He goes over to the sink and opens the tap. To my left I hear my dad waking Mom.

“Aye. Esta despierta.” He tells her. She looks over at me with tired and puffy eyes. She sits up and rushes to my side. She kisses my forehead.

“Hey, mija.” She smoothes down my greasy hair. I can feel how unclean it is. Gross.

“Here you are, Miss Santino.” The nurse holds the glass up for me to sip from. I would usual protest, but I can’t move my arms right now. I place my lips on the edge of the glass and he tips it. I part my dry lips and feel cool water rush and replenish my dry mouth.

I let the water trickle down my throat and I sigh in relief. I tilt my head up to signal no more. The nurse obliges and sets the cup aside. “Better?” The question rings in my head. That was the last thing Elio said to me before the accident. I remember.

“Elio?” I croak.

“He’s fine. A lot better than you. The car hit the trunk on his side. But on your side,” Mom frowns. I close my eyes.

“Where is he?” I feel my voice come back to me.

“At home. He’ll come visit later.” Mom tires to smile.

“My car?” I ask.

“Totaled.” Dad pipes up. I frown. “But we’ve already got one pending. It’s better.” He reassures me.

“Better be.” I tease. Everyone chuckles softly.

“I see your dry humor’s back.” I hear a familiar voice at my door. We all look and see Elio in the doorway. He’s leaning on his crutches. He’s got a purple cast on his right leg.

“You look like a fag in that color.” I comment. I see Mom restrain herself from scoffing at me.

“And you look like shit.” He quips.

“Thanks to you.” I see his face fall. “I was joking.”

“I know.” He lies. I just sigh.

“Well,” the nurse claps. “Cielo’s vitals are good. I’ll send the doc in to see how she’s doing and if she can go home or not.” My dad nods and the nurse is out.

“Can I eat?” I ask. My tummy rumbles.

“I’ll go get you some soup, y fruta.” My mom kisses me once more. She leaves and my dad follows her. Leaving Elio with me. He hobbles over to Mom’s chair and sits. He scoots it a little closer.

“So, what happened?” I ask.

“Drunk driver on my side. Texter on yours.” Elio nods.

“Does this thing sit up? I can’t lay down anymore.” I say. Elio leans over me. “Ow!” I squirm underneath him. His weight is on my ribs and they hurt like a bitch!

“Sorry.” He mumbles as he grabs a remote and presses a button. Slowly, the bed turns into a lawn chair. “There.” He sits back down in his chair. “Dude, some cop is coming to question you later. Just about the accident.” Elio starts. “So, here’s the plan. You were driving. Plead insanity. They’ll eat that shit up.” I can tell he’s joking, but he says it with a straight face. I laugh, but then wince at my ribs again. I clutch them with my right hand and see a hot pink cast on my arm. “Bruised ribs, broken arm.”

“And you?”

“Bruised ribs, broken leg.”

“At least I’m not a gimp.” I tease. But Elio doesn’t smile. I see guilt and shame in his eyes. “You couldn’t have seen that fuckin’ car.” I say softly. “We’re both still alive. That’s all that matters.” Elio just looks at me with tears in his eyes. “Fuck.” I tear up. Soon, Elio’s head is on my bed. He’s crying. I cry with him. I lay my head on his, ignoring my headache, and kiss his hair. I rub his back and smooth his hair. “Shhh. It’s okay.” I coo.

Soon, Elio’s done crying. He wipes his face and nose. I do the same. “America plays
today.”

“Where’s the remote?” I ask. And we just sit there watching the game till my parents get back. I eat and sip at my orange juice.

“Adelia sent these.” My mom admires some blue bells near the window.

“How long was I out?” I ask.

“Two days.” Elio says as he continues to watch the game with my dad. I nod. “Austin and Lauren sent those ones.” Elio points to a ‘Get Well’ balloon attached to a bouquet of white roses. “Those are from Fabi.” There’s another bouquet, but they’re a mix tulips with a teddy bear. “Darla and Susan.” Pink peonies. “Ben.” Sunflowers. I smile. “Anderson.” Violet hydrangea. “Parentals.” More white roses. “Me.” Coral hibiscus. There’s some balloons and cards. “No Hayden.” Elio answers my unasked question. I just keep quiet and watch the game.


It’s lunch time. A cheery nurse brings in a tray. “Enjoy.” She beams. I pull my table to me and practically drool at the sight of a turkey sub with a side salad, strawberries, and chips. A bottle of orange Gatorade to wash it all down. I dig in while watching old Tom and Jerry episodes. My family has gone down to the cafeteria for a lunch of their own.

I’m consumed by a chase between my favorite cat and mouse when there’s a knock at my door. “Come in.” I shout. The door swings open slowly and I look over at Hayden. I put down my sub and swallow what’s in my mouth.

“Uh, hey.” He closes the door. He’s carrying a huge stuffed bear, a small turquoise gift bag, and a bouquet of pink orchids. They look lovely. But just because he brings me gifts doesn’t mean I’m not still mad at him.

“That’s all I get? Hey?” I push away my tray.

“No.” He blinks at me. “Sky, I’m so fuckin’ sorry.” He takes a few steps towards me. “I know this is all my fault.” He runs a hand through his hair. “I know I don’t deserve anything from you.” He rubs the back of his neck. “But I brought you some stuff.” He hands me everything but the gift bag. “I’m here to tell you I love you, and to beg for your forgiveness.”

“Hayden, you acted like a shallow dick. Again. Why should I forgive you? Again!” My headache comes back. My morning painkillers are wearing off. Damn it!

“Because I love you. Because I promise to never make you feel like that again. Please. Just tell me what I need to do so that you’ll forgive me and take me back.” He sinks to his knees and grabs my right hand. He holds it tightly and kisses my exposed knuckles. “Please.” He croaks, and I see he’s crying. I feel his tears on my hand. I hear him sniffle. Damn it! I start to let my tears fall.

“Don’t ever flirt with another girl, you stupid prick.” What can I say? I love him. Even if he is a little bit of a flirt. He’s mine. He looks up at me in surprise and relief. His eyes puffy and pink, like my flowers. His cheeks tear stained.

“Oh, baby, I promise.” He stands and kisses me passionately. “I promise, promise.” He whispers and wipes at my tears. I lay my hand over his and giggle. He chuckles. He looks lovely with a smile and tear stained cheeks. “Oh.” He pulls away. “Here.” He gives me the small, but long, gift bag. “For our six months. Since we can’t really go to Crater Lake in your condition.” I take the bag and take out the long red leather box. He watches me intently as he squats at my side. I open it and see a watch inside. I gasp. Hayden’s never bought me jewelry before. But I see he has good taste.

The watch is made of gold, pearls, and small diamonds. The pearls making up the outsides, and diamonds in the middle to create the chain. The gold keeps it all together. The watch itself is gold as well, with a gold and diamond butterfly sitting on the watch. The inside made of oyster shell. “Hayden.” Is all I can muster. I’m just so breath taken.

“Look.” He turns the watch. On the back it reads: Six months with you has been worth a lifetime. – Hayden

I grin. “Happy six months.” He whispers lovingly to me. I let a stray tear fall. This is why I love him. He wipes away my tear.

“I love you.” I kiss him. He kisses me back and we engulf each other. Until we’re interrupted by my family. I pull away from him once the door opens. I blush and Hayden stands.

“Sir. Ma’am.” He stands tall and places his hands behind his back respectfully.

“Hayden.” My mom says.

“I would like to formally apologize for everything I’ve caused. I will take full responsibility for any and all my actions that have upset you in any way.” He says.

“You’re walking a thin line there, Hayden. But I respect your words.” My dad shakes his hand.

“Thank you, Sir.” Hayden nods.


I can finally go home! My dad wheels me out of the hospital and deposits me in my new Jeep Wrangler. It’s red. Two door with a canopy top. The day is sunny and summer seems to be here, so my Jeep is topless. My dad drives slowly, but I still feel the wind in my hair. It feels freeing.

When I get home, there’s a small welcome home party for me. Everyone’s here. Even Susan! She hugs me and kisses me on the forehead. I just smile.

We all eat and celebrate, but I tire easily. Hayden takes me to my room and helps me dress for bed. “It’s gonna be so awkward sleeping with this stupid thing on.” I get under the covers and glare at my cast.

“You’ll get used to it.” Hayden tucks me in and sits at my hip.

“I’m not on my death bed, Hayden. I can get ready for bed myself.” I pout. I feel like such a little kid. Which I’m not! I work, I’m graduated! I have a car! I pay my own insurance and phone bill.

“I know. But we left off on such a bad note before the accident.” He looks down at my blanket in shame. “An accident you could’ve died in! And if you died, I don’t know what I’d do with myself.” He looks on the brink of tears.

“Hayden, lets forgive and forget okay. It was an accident.” Hayden doesn’t say anything, he just nods. He’s so soft. “C’mere.” I scoot over and lift the blanket to let him lay next to me. He obliges after he kicks off his work boots. He lets me lay my head on his chest. He plays with my dirty hair while I listen to his heartbeat. The silence between us lulls me to sleep after a minute or so.


When I wake, Hayden’s gone. My dad must’ve let him out. I just get up slowly, grab a garbage bag and some tape, and prepare myself for a shower. Clean clothes, soft towel. I turn on the water and strip. I take a look in the mirror and see bruises everywhere. And they aren’t the small kind either. I frown. That accident could’ve been the end of everything. Suddenly, the weight of the situation crashes over me and I break down. I let myself cry. What if I had been driving? What if the car completely hit the passenger door and killed me? What if Elio died? All these ‘What if’s’ run through my head and I shutter. Then I hear a soft knock on the door. I’m jolted from my depressing thoughts.

“Cielo?” I hear Elio outside the door.

“Yeah?” I sniffle.

“You okay?” He asks.

“I’m fine.” I lie as I wipe away the snot dripping from my nose. I see steam fog up the glass and swirl around me. Wrapping me in a warm cocoon.

“Don’t masturbate for too long in there. I still need some hot water for my turn too.” He teases. I laugh through my subsiding tears.

“You’re such a douche bag.” I giggle. I hear him chuckle.


I finally take a shower and come out refreshed. The past is in the past and today is a new day. I go into my room after taking off the garbage bag that I taped to my arm to protect my cast from getting damp and find Hayden laying on my bed. His arms folded underneath his head. His legs crossed at the ankles. Thank God he doesn’t have his shoes on my bed! They’re off on the edge, hanging a little. “Hey.” I blink at him in surprise. I only have a towel wrapped around my naked body. My hair is dripping and my heart is pounding. Hayden sits up gracefully. He looks at me with just as much surprise. Maybe from my lack of clothing.

“Hi.” He breathes and swings his feet to the floor.

“Um, what are you doing here?” I ask as I close my door.

“I just came to check on you.” He swallows and I see his eyes roam my body up and down. I blush. “How are you feeling?”

“Better. Clean.” I bite my lip to stifle a giggle.

“Good.” He nods. Then, silence stretches between us. “Is there anything you need?” He asks, glancing up at me from his hands.

“Just to get dressed.” I swallow.

“Oh, right.” He stands.

“No, wait.” I find myself saying. He just sits back down on my bed. I walk over to stand in front of him. After a moment of hesitation, he reaches out and caresses my bare thigh. I gasp softly. He eventually lets his fingers touch my bruise. I wince a little. He just plants a soft kiss on it. He lifts his head and looks up at me. My eyes meet his. He looks at me lovingly. With adoration. He looks so hot today! Work boots, white v-neck, faded Wranglers, backwards cap. I smile down at him.

He grins up at me. I lean down and tenderly plant a kiss on his forehead. He lets out a soft breath and closes his eyes. The sight is delectable. Then, out of nowhere, he wraps his arms around my waist and they tighten around me. I’m squeezed up against him. I just lean down and gingerly wrap my arms around his head that leans against my abdomen. I kiss the top of his head and the top of his ear. He clings to me and I let him hug me until he’s done.

Hayden releases me. “I’m glad you’re still here.” He whispers.

“Me too.” I smile. He kisses my toweled belly. I giggle at the sight. He nuzzles my stomach before leaning back onto my bed on his elbows.

“So,” he wraps his legs around mine and pulls me to him. I smile. “Need help dressing?” He cocks his head to the side with a playful grin tugging at his pink lips.

“No.” I grin and walk over to my drawers. I pick out some purple lace undies and slip them on while my towels still wrapped around me. I then let my towel fall to the floor. I turn away from Hayden and find a black push-up bra. I hook it on and adjust my breasts in it. Then, I turn around and see Hayden watching me.

“Your tattoo healed up nicely.” He eyes my garter. I just smile. “It looks very sexy.” I just turn for him. “Very nice.” He nods from my bed. I giggle. I like that he can make me feel beautiful even when I have bruises all over me, and a cast. That’s not attractive. “Now, get dressed so we can go out to eat.”

“Eat where?” I dig into my closet.

“Wherever you want.” He shrugs.

“IHOP.”

“Sounds good to me.”

I nod and go back to my closet. There, I pick out a long beach dress. Strapless. I find my strappy sandals and slip them on. I brush my damp hair and apply some makeup. I sprits some perfume on, grab my purse, and my pain killers. I’ll need to take them before breakfast. “Ready.” I smile. Hayden grins.

“You look beautiful.”

I blush.

“Oh, wait!” I run over to my jewelry box and pull out the watch Hayden gifted me. I clip it on. “Now we can go.” Hayden blushes. He takes my hand and we head to my car. Hayden drives us to IHOP. There, he makes sure I’m in a cushy booth and that I get good attention from the waiter.

“Hayden, stop.” I look at him sternly.

“What?” He furrows his brows.

“I’m not dying here! I have a few bruises and a broken arm. That’s all.” I say exasperated. I know he’s just trying to take care of me, but I’m fine. I don’t need the extra attention.

“I know.” He looks down at his omelet. “I just want to make it up to you somehow. Make you feel better.”

“Just being with you makes me feel better. I don’t need to be babied. I just need time.” I reach over the table to grasp his firm hand. “And I need you.” I smile. “To make feel beautiful and special.”

“Do I not make you feel beautiful and special?” He asks with fear.

“You so do, Hayden. And that’s why I need you.” I smile more. “I mean, sometimes you make me feel furious! And jealous and sad, but in the end you always make me feel loved.” I start opening up about my feelings. Usually, it’s hard for me to say anything like this. But this morning’s ‘what if’s’ really made me realize that Hayden needs to hear how I feel just like I have to. Give and take. My words are rewarded with Hayden’s boyish blush. I melt.

“You’re so beautiful.” He grins. Now it’s my turn to blush. “Now, let’s eat. Then we can go do something.”

“Something like what?” I ask. He just shrugs. I nod and dig into my stuffed peach French toast.
Sign up to rate and review this story