Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > A Chance to Change

Madness-Part 1

by KenshinAkagi 0 reviews

As Rei and the others meet Zabuza, Rei begins losing control of his inner madness.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2013-11-30 - 1210 words

1Original
AN: Woop. Time for Land to Wave, and a nice little look at Rei's mind.

A chance to change: 7

The sun shined down brightly on the newly formed Team Seven and their client, a bridge builder named Tazuna, as they made their way to Nami No Kuni. The team had managed to pass Kakashi's bell test, and after two whole weeks of boring D-rank missions, Natsuki finally snapped at yelled at her father to get them a real mission. Minato had relented, giving them a normally easy C-rank mission to guard Tazuna on the way to the Land of Waves.

While a Team with four genin and two senseis was not normal, Rei knew the reason behind it. He, Naruto, and Natsuki were all children of the Hokage, while Sasuke was the Last Uchiha, making them High risk targets. As for Kakashi and Kushina being the sensei's, it was in the case that Naruto, Natsuki, or Rei accidentally lost control to their biju, Kakashi could use his Sharingan and calm the biju, while Kushina could contain it with her Chakra chains. Kakashi was also the only other sharingan wielder in Konoha, and thus the only one who could assist Sasuke.

The team had just defeated two ninja who were called the Demon brothers, who were handily defeated by Sasuke and Naruto. Kakashi had interrogated them, finding out they were hired by a ruthless businessman named Gato, who was bleeding Wave dry of money. Tazuna had admitted to lying about the mission, and now it was up to a team vote to decide whether to stay or leave.

"Alright everyone, I'm going to tell you this right now. Those two may have been Chunin, but from this point on we may face Jounin level threats. Kushina and I are strong, but we don't want to force you guys into unnecessary risks. So what do you all think?" Kakashi asked as his team looked at each other.

Naruto threw his fist in the air. "I'm going! This is my first C-Rank!" Natsuki followed his example. Sasuke nodded his head with a slight smirk.

Rei calmly stood there, looking at the sky. "...Fine." Kakashi and Kushina both nodded, and the team continued walking.

As Team 7 were walking, Natsuki suddenly stopped and threw a kunai at a tree, where a small white rabbit jumped out. While Natsuki began apologizing to the rabbit, Kushina immediately recognized the rabbit's white coat as a sign of it being domesticated.

"It's a trap!" Kushina and Kakashi brought down their team as a colossal cleaver-like sword swung into the nearby tree. A figure soon appeared on the tree, whom the sensei's of Team Seven recognized from the Bingo Book.

"Zabuza Momochi, the Demon of the Mist...so you're the one Gato hired to do his dirty work." Kakashi stated as he and Kushina stood up ready for combat. Zabuza chuckled as he looked at them.

"Kakashi Hatake and Kushina Uzumaki-Namikaze, both S-rank jounin of Konohagakure. You're pretty impressive, but your genin sure aren't. Look, that one is shaking!" Zabuza pointed at the group of Genin, and Sasuke responded.

"I'm not shaking out of fear...this is excitement!" Zabuza chuckled once more, and shook his head.

"I wasn't talking about you, Uchiha...I'm talking about the white haired kid."

All eyes turned to Rei, who was clutching his right eye and shaking heavily. What sounded like both sobs and chuckles kept coming from his mouth, and his left eye, the only one visible, was wide open. A light green aura was slowly beginning to surround him, as the shaking began getting more pronounced.

Zabuza laughed. "Well, I know I can't win here with two S-ranks. But I would work on your genin if I were you." Zabuza quickly fled, while Kushina shot her Chakra chains to tie Rei up. He briefly attempted to struggle, before falling unconscious as the green aura disappeared.

(Rei's Mindscape)

Isobu glared at the massive cage near his Seal island, that was previously invisible during Naruto's brief visit. The cage was massive, and a dark energy was constantly being leaked from it. A young boy was pounding at the bars, tears streaming down his face as he was cackling with uncontrolled glee.

"Is it time for us to play Onii-chan?! Let me play! Dance in their blood!" The young boy's features began becoming more visible as time went on, appearing as a seven year old boy with black hair. One eye appeared like a snakes, with noticeable black marks around it. The skin on the right side of the face had snake scales, and what little could be seen of the boy's right arm, covered in dirty rags and bandages, appeared to be snake scales as well. At several spots on the boys left arm there were bones sticking out, as if they had tried to become spikes but aborted halfway.

"Look at it...how pitiful. To think something like that exists inside my body...Isobu, Zetsu, keep it contained." Rei looked at the form that his 'madness' took the form of. The...thing in the cage looked like how he did as a boy, but with black hair, and the frequent experiments he performed on his body had transformed his inner hatred into that...thing.

What the Babylon clan lacked in fancy Kekkai Genkai or doujutsu, they more than made up for with the power to unleash their 'Madness' onto the world. The 'Madness' was often kept locked away inside the mind, only released in times of great stress. It would release the body of all limitations, turning them into mindless killing machines. So while the Babylons gained power, the 'Madness' automatically weakened the functions of the mind even when locked away, causing the Babylon clan to go insane.

It was a proven fact that the longer the 'Madness' was sealed away, the more bloodthirsty it would become. Several missions had been failed because a Babylon lost control of their madness. A few researchers had managed to link the Babylon clan to a seemingly extinct clan that passively absorbed Nature Chakra, before releasing it as killing machines.

But, while the other Babylons had chances to release their 'madness', Rei never could. Due to being a Jinchuuriki, the seal linking Isobu to Rei also blocked out the 'Madness' from being released. Add onto Isobu keeping an eye on it, and it was seemingly locked away completely. But, due to years of neglect, emotional trauma, several other events that happened to Rei during his original life, his 'Madness' was too strong to completely contain at times of great stress or emotional trauma.

And seeing the same sword that the woman you loved used to kill you would make anyone traumatized.

Isobu began waving his chakra at the cage, forcing the madness back. "There...just a bit more until Zabu-" He was suddenly cut off as chains appeared in the mindscape and surrounded him, before chaining him back into the island seal. Rei looked at where Isobu once was, shocked, before focusing his chakra in an attempt to hold back the madness.

The one time Kushina tried to help, she makes things worse! Fucking great...

AN: Think I'll end there. Read and review. Post any ideas for pairings.[//]
Sign up to rate and review this story