Categories > Original > Romance > The Forgotten Pieces (A Tom Hiddleston story)

Pancakes

by gothicangel 1 review

Pancakes for breakfast! And is Lara warming up to Tom?

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2013-12-13 - 1865 words

0Unrated
A soft racket was heard from the kitchen which forced me out of my deep slumber. After waking up, my mind was in the short moment filled with nothingness, and hearing that racket from the kitchen made me flinch which sent electrical signals to my brain trying to think of who or what could be creating that noise. As that very brief moment started to fade away, my mind began to function normally and I started to relax my tensed shoulders. That racket was created by none other than Tom Hiddleston. He was obviously a morning person since it was just past nine and I dreaded to get out of my bed and be around him. I don’t function well in the morning and I tend to snap at anyone who speaks more than a few words. I didn’t want to embarrass myself by doing that to him.

I sighed and rolled onto my side to peak at my phone. Spending some time with Tom last night was pretty alright. I didn’t think that I could spend a few hours with the man without having my face flush a bright red every time he spoke in a kind manner which was almost all the time. I needed to get use to his personality; he was quite a gentleman which made you wonder if all English men were like that too. Well, I guess I had to find out.

He spoke briefly of a few funny events that we had together which strangely sounded like familiar moments because I knew I would have been that way. My body surged with energy of excitement when I realised that I would have done just that in the events he told me about. I felt like I was one step closer to getting my memories back. I also started to think that maybe I have not changed that much in the last few years so maybe not everything was new to me. However, I did not let that thought bring me down. I needed to be positive and persistent if I wanted to retrieve my memories.

I gave up lying in bed for the reason being that I felt uncomfortable with Tom being awake whilst I was being lazy. The smell of something delicious reached my nose before I entered the kitchen. Tom has changed from his pyjamas - which I must have stored in my room for the times he stayed over - and was back in his clothes from yesterday. He was humming a tune with his back facing me as he cooked on the stove.
“Good morning,” I said quickly. I didn’t want to interrupt his rather uplifting mood and cooking.
“Ahh,” he turned to me with a big grin. “Good morning, love,” he left a quick peck on my nose.
If my body was responding to my brain’s signals it would have flinched and jumped back with the facial expression of utter shock. Fortunately, it wasn’t responding, so unfortunately I was standing there with wide eyes and completely blank face. I must have looked like a seven year old walking into their parents having sex. Okay, maybe not, but I was close to looking that frightened.

Tom must have seen the look on my face because his grin disappeared and he looked apologetic. “I apologise, I-,” he sighed whilst his gray eyes wondered around the room. “I completely forgot… about the situation…” then lowered his gaze to the tiled floor and pinched the bridge of his nose. “This is all a routine to me, you know? I wake up early, make breakfast while you sleep and when you wake up… I just-,” he gestured his hand out signalling that he was talking about the peck.
I nodded. My body was starting to respond to my brain signals. “It’s okay, I shouldn’t have been so shocked.”
“No, you had the right to be shocked.”
“But, I shouldn’t be. It’s not your fault that you forgot...” I glanced away and tapped my temple with my index finger, “…that I can’t remember.”
We stood there for a moment. Not one of us daring to look at each other. The atmosphere around us became tense and oppressive that if the air around us turned into matter then it would have squeezed us from all the pressure.

It was when I sighed that Tom took the queue to look at me before I glanced at him. He opened his mouth to say something when he narrowed his eyes and sniffed.
I was suddenly brought back to the environment around me, my brain took note of everything around me.
Our eyes widened.
“Oh!” Tom ran back to the stove to grab the pan of burnt pancake. “I burnt the pancake!”
Smoke was travelling into the air from the black piece of pancake creating a strong smell in the kitchen.
“I’ve never burnt anything in the kitchen before!” Tom was staring at the burnt food with a scowl.
I pressed my lips together to hold my laughter in as I watched the man looking so tormented by his failure in the kitchen.
The scowl disappeared and he looked up, “Well, I guess I’ll just have to-,” he paused and tilted his head to the side. “Are you laughing at me?”
I nodded before letting out the laughter I was holding. “I’m sorry! I’ve never seen someone so upset over burning their food before,” I grinned and leaned on the bench top. “I never knew you were cared so much about cooking.”
“Someone has to care since you don’t,” he pointed at me playfully.
“Yeah, well I can’t cook and I assume you already know that and I am so happy that you know how to… and I assume you know that too.”
He chuckled, “Yes, you always appreciated my cooking. I tried to teach you to cook once, and well,” he chuckled again. “You somehow burnt the food.”
“That’s me!” I smiled.

*

We spent the morning in the kitchen. Tom finished making the pancakes while I sat on the bench top helping wherever I could but mostly I just watched him. At first I felt like I was intruding his space by just staring at him constantly but then I settled on the reason that I was only watching him because by doing this action of observing, it might spark something in my lost memories. I was partially kidding myself. He had this wonderful easy-going aura which I could get addicted to because I could be uptight at times. It felt like I knew Tom for a thousand years which was so absurd since I’ve known him for over two years which I could not remember at all. Just thinking about it made this whole situation so surreal.

“Did you enjoy your pancakes?” he asked watching me slump back onto my chair.
“Yes, that was such a good breakfast!” I rubbed my belly. “Don’t tell mum that you are the better cook.”
He let out a chuckle then bit his bottom lip, “You know, right around the first time we met… when I first cooked for you, you said that exact same thing.”
My jaw dropped slightly, “Seems like history is repeating itself…sorry.”
“It’s no problem. It’s actually reassuring to me,” he smiled at me before grabbing my empty plate to put on top of his.
“Is it?”
“Yes, well, I don’t mean to sound like I’m coming onto you or pressuring you or anything but it reassures me to know that we probably will be okay.”
I smiled and looked down at my lap letting my hair fall around my face to cover the deep blush burning brightly. I convinced myself that I was only blushing because no one has ever been this sweet to me in such a long time.

*

It was almost the evening and Tom has left briefly to grab some change of clothes and to pick up dinner so I was left to spend a short period of the evening alone. I stretched my legs on the sofa and turned on the television. Since Tom being around, I have noticed my anxiety levels decreasing and I seem to stop being too desperate as I was before to retrieve my memories back. Tom just had this light-hearted personality that helps reduce my overwhelming pressure of trying to get my life back to normal as quickly as possible. Therefore, as I flipped through the channels I settled on a channel that had no world news but some show that appears to be volatile. I wanted to get away from news and stay away from constantly trying new ways to trigger my memories.

Resting my head against the arm rest I blankly watched the unfamiliar show which was coming to an end. I grabbed the remote to change the channel. I was frustrated about the fact that my own remote control looks so unfamiliar too. I was so used to unconsciously clicking on the right buttons to function the television but now I had to familiarise myself with the control. I scowled at the buttons on the remote trying to find the right button but that searching for that button never happened because I heard Tom’s name from the television. I glanced up at the screen to see a photo of Tom smiling like he always did.
“Tom Hiddleston’s long term girlfriend Lara Riley was in a car accident that caused her to lose her memories. There are no reports right now about how much she could remember or if she could remember Tom Hiddleston at all. Tom who is currently working on a new movie which will hit cinemas early next year has been absent since the accident but will return back to his role in the movie in a few weeks,” said the woman on the desk.
The man that was sitting beside her look empathetic, “So if Lara actually does not remember Tom, how do you think they will work it out?”
The woman who reported the news turned to her colleague, “I don’t know but if I was her I would have thrown myself on that beautiful man even if I don’t remember him!”

“No way,” I muttered. “How in the hell?”
Tom couldn’t be… there must be some sort of explanation as to why I am dating an actor. I rolled onto my stomach and buried my face on the sofa. How did this all happen? Why? Too many questions were buzzing in my head and I could not comprehend anything at all. However, everything did make sense now. Why Tom was always brief in what he did with his life and career and the way Ethan reacted when he met Tom. I did understand why he was not quite ready to let me know about his status because he thought I might have completely become overwhelmed and freaked out about the whole situation and frankly, I am.


_________________________________________________

I hope you are all enjoying this!
Sign up to rate and review this story