Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > Untitled

The Flight

by syrac 0 reviews

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2013-12-28 - Updated: 2014-01-04 - 753 words

1Original
The Flight

David let out a heavy sigh, and he turned off the car engine. Here they were together, possibly for the last time. Silence filled the car once again as the music switched off, the two of them sat together in the airport car park.

“So this is it,” David broke the silence first.

“I’ll get my cases,” Lucy blurted, unsure what else to say.

She opened the car door and climbed out into the icy air of January. Slamming the door closed, she walked around to the back of the car.

Whilst Lucy made her way to the boot, David rested his head on the steering wheel. He knew he was going to miss her. It would have been easier if she had just broken up with him, that way he could have a reason to dislike her, maybe he wouldn’t miss her so much. But no. He loved her just as much as he had the first time he had met her, despite how intoxicated he was. Lifting his head up, David got out of the car and walked around to the back of the car to help Lucy lift the suitcases out of the boot.

Closing the boot of the car, David’s eyes began to well up. This was it. David looked up at Lucy and could see the tears forming in her eyes too. “I love you,” he whispered, unable to make his voice any louder. Lucy moved quickly towards him and wrapped her thin pale arms around his waist. He could feel the dampness of her tears on his t-shirt.

“I love you too,” her voice was muffled as she buried her face into his clothes, breathing in his scent, memorising it.

Then suddenly, she pulled away. That was the last time David felt her touch. She turned away and began walking to the entrance of the airport, pulling her cases behind her. She didn’t turn back, she just walked away. That was David’s last image of her.

*

She could smell it no more, she had gotten used to it. Lucy prayed that what happens with the smell of the plane, would soon happen to her feelings for David. At first she would gag at the stench, it would make her sick to the stomach, but slowly she would grow used to it, and then, smell nothing.

Her eyes were no longer blood-shot from the tears, she could cry no more. She had been one of the last to board the plane, and was now sat in a blue faux-leather seat next to an old frail woman. The woman had smiled to her when Lucy had squeezed past her to get to her window seat, Lucy attempted to smile back, but it must have been clearly obvious to the woman that it was forced. The woman made no effort to contact Lucy in any way since.

As the plane took off, Lucy sucked on a Haribo cola bottle to prevent her ears from popping, and started out the window, literally watching the world go by. She did this for the majority of the journey, she had brought a book, but her mind was too busy to read anything.

Half way through the journey the woman turned to her right and looked at Lucy. “You miss him don’t you.”

Lucy jumped at the sudden voice. The sudden American voice. The woman must be returning home, maybe that would be Lucy in a few decades time. “Excuse me?”

“From the distant look in your eyes I’m guessing your sad, and considering you're on a plane, I can only assume you're leaving someone. And a beautiful young lady like you must have a boyfriend, am I correct?”

“Um, yes... I mean, I did,” Lucy laughed nervously, she did that a lot.

“I’m guessing you’re leaving him, right?” Lucy nodded and the woman sighed nostalgically. “I was in your position once. I wasn’t leaving the country, but I was leaving for NYU and I for USC. It was hard at first, but you meet new people, you move on.” The woman reached out and placed her tanned wrinkled hand on Lucy’s smooth pale one, they were so unalike, yet so alike.

Lucy looked up at the woman once again and smiled, this time a genuine one. The woman gave her hand a reassuring squeeze and then closed her eyes. Resting her head against the plane wall, she did the same.
Sign up to rate and review this story