Categories > Books > Dracula > Seductions of the Dark

Default Chapter

by rainia_nytewolf 0 reviews

Originally on fanfiction.net under my penname Rainia NyteWolf. If you've seen the 1992 version of Dracula,this is my personal take on that.

Category: Dracula - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy, Romance - Published: 2006-08-09 - Updated: 2006-08-09 - 897 words

1Original
Authors Notes- First off, let me just say that I do not own Dracula. The character Dracula belongs to Bram Stoker and the real life Dracula (who lived in the 1400's and whose body has yet to be found) belongs to himself and the people of Romania. The only character I own is Rainia. This chapter does not reflect my religious beliefs nor is it intended to offend anyone else's. If it does, I am truly sorry. This is fiction and not meant to be real.

Seductions of the Dark

Chapter One: The Beginning

Rainia yawned sleepily and rubbed her temples. She was poring over papers written by other researchers who swore up and down that Dracula was a real life vampire. She laughed softly at that. Being a distant relative of the Dracula family, she highly doubted her several generations back great uncle was a vampire. Though in her line of work anything was possible.

One of the best Paranormal Researchers in the United States, she had encountered many things that science could not explain. Such as the comings and goings of ghosts in her own home. They let themselves be known by slamming doors, cutting the television on and off, or the infamous time where the one had caused her computer to explode without warning. She had grown so used to their presence she even began to talk to them when she became lonely.

Her boyfriend had recently broken up with her, which only increased her loneliness. He had called her line of work 'useless' saying that the Bible was the answer to everything. Rainia had yelled back at him, saying there was no proof that God truly existed, and that if he didn't like her line of work he could just gather his things and get out. That was when the ghosts decided to come back. They had never liked him and were happy he was gone. No longer did they cause things to explode but rather helped when something was out of order.

She always thanked them whenever she noticed something they had done for her. Her friend Alexia had recently moved in and had never been a firm believer in ghosts until then. Rainia loved freaking her out by saying one of the spirits was next to her, which most of the time was true. Her friend had recently gotten over it and actually started to do the things Rainia did.

"Rainia!" Alexia called, startling her out of her thoughts.

"Yeah?" She yelled back, not looking up from her work.

"You want to order pizza?"

"Sure, if you're buying!" She yelled back and earned a laugh from Alexia, who poked her head into Rainia's study.

"Rainia, take a break and relax. We'll order in pizza and have a night of horror movies!" Alexia said with a grin.

"Alex you know I have work to do." Rainia began, using her friend's nickname.

"Please, Rain?" Her friend countered, her lower lip sticking out in a pout.

Rainia sighed, finding it no use to argue. "Oh alright."

Alexia pawed through her friend's collection of movies, frowning in thought as she tried to decide what to watch. "Nightmare on Elm Street?" She queried, looking up as Rainia walked into the room, holding a two-liter of Dr. Pepper and a box of pizza.

"No, I've seen all of them way too many times." She said with a laugh, setting the pizza and drink down on the coffee table. She went to sit down on the end of the couch but sensing a presence there, sat next to it rather then sitting on the spirit who was sitting there.

"Ok, well what about...Final Destination?" Alexia suggested, waving the DVD in the air.

"Sounds good to me." Rainia replied, grabbing the remote and turning the DVD player on.

Later that night, while Rainia was getting ready for bed, a voice called out to her. "Come to me..." It said, making Rainia jump and look around. Shaking her head she finished brushing her teeth and slipped out of her robe, hanging it on the back of the door. Grabbing a long t-shirt she pulled it on and walked over to her bed, pulling the red and black sheets back. Settling down, she snuggled up under the blankets and slowly drifted off to sleep.

Her dream that night was the strangest she'd ever had. A dark, gloomy castle loomed above her, and yet she was smiling. Smiling as if she had never been happier. Someone walked up behind her, putting his arms around her. She couldn't see who it was but she did hear a voice. The same voice from before she went to bed. "You will come to me. You will stay with me for all eternity."

Sitting bolt upright in bed, Rainia gasped for breath as if she had just run a mile. What had that been? And whom was that person calling to her, demanding she come to him? Why did he want her, of all people? She shook her head and got out of bed, grabbing her robe from the bathroom and slipping it on. Putting on her slippers, she walked out to the kitchen where she put water in the coffee maker for some hot coco. Cupping her hands around the hot mug, she sat at the kitchen table and didn't go back to sleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story