Categories > Books > Dracula > Seductions of the Dark

Chapter 8

by rainia_nytewolf 0 reviews

Rainia Remembers.

Category: Dracula - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Published: 2006-08-09 - Updated: 2006-08-09 - 1538 words

0Unrated
Authors Notes-This is just a quick note so people don't get confused by this chapter and the previous one. In chapter 1, we learned that Rainia was related to Vlad distantly. She's related to him in the present time by marriage, nothing more. In the past, she wasn't related to him at all.

Chapter 8- Rainia Remembers

Rainia sat up in bed, breathing heavily. This was by far one of the scariest dreams she had yet. She had been running, looking over her shoulder as she ran to her room. Slamming the door, she had barred it, hoping to delay her pursuers. Rainia had run to her balcony, looking down at the river below as the Turks had rammed her door. Standing on the rail, she had looked back as the door splintered and they entered. "You'll never take me!" She had vowed to them, before flinging herself off the railing.

She had fell through the air and as soon as she hit the water, Rainia woke up nearly screaming in terror. It had seemed so real...wait. This explained it. This was what her mind had not let her know. That was how she died!

"Calm down Rainia...you can get through this without losing your sanity." She told herself, trying to calm her rapidly beating heart. "Ok, let's think here. I know how I died and that I was married to him...how did we meet though?"

Closing her eyes, Rainia concentrated on thinking about all the dreams and flashbacks she had as a new one hit her.

(A/N-This is Rainia's flash back...it's really cute in my opinion.)

A sixteen-year-old Rainia winced as her maids brushed her unruly mane of hair. "Ouch!" She cried as the comb hit a knot.

"Sorry miss." The maid apologized quickly.

"Don't know what all this fuss is about anyway..." She grumbled as they fixed her hair in an elegant twist.

"The prince is coming, miss, of course it's an important occasion." The maid who was fixing her hair said, smiling at the other girl's reflection in the mirror.

"I know, I know...propriety and manners before our guest of honor." She said sarcastically, annoyed with the fact she had to get dressed up for some arrogant prince.

The maid was silent as she finished putting her hair up. "There you go, miss."

"Thank you...you're dismissed."

The maid dropped a curtsy and left the room.

"And this is my lovely daughter, Rainia." Her father announced as Rainia came down in an elegant blue gown. Vlad looked at her as she forced a small smile at him. Vlad took her gloved hand in his own and placed a gently kiss on her knuckles.

"Pleasure to meet your acquaintance." Rainia said, letting him take her hand.

"The pleasure is all mine." Vlad replied, letting go of her hand.

Rainia's father looked between the two and looked to his side at his wife. She looked back at him and smiled with a nod. "Shall we?"

Vlad offered his arm to Rainia who, almost unconsciously, put her arm in his. "Of course."

"So what do you think?" Rainia's mother asked looking expectantly at her daughter as Vlad and her father talked in the other room.

Rainia raised an inquisitive eyebrow at her mother. "What are you planning, Mother?"

Her mother looked taken aback. "Who said I was planning anything?"

Rainia sighed and shrugged her shoulders gently. "He's...nice."

"Nice? That's all?"

"Alright mother, he's a definite improvement from some of the others you and father have forced me to talk to."

Her mother beamed at her. "He's requested your hand in marriage."

Rainia, who had just lifted her glass of wine to her lips, nearly choked as her mother said that. "What?"

Her mother nodded, gushing. "Isn't it wonderful?"

"I don't even know him!"

"I didn't know your father when we got married."

"That's different though mother. Your marriage was arranged."

"Regardless, Prince Vlad was quite taken with you."

Rainia pressed a hand to her chest, trying to calm her wildly beating heart. "Is that why he's talking with father?"

Her mother nodded. "Yes."

Rainia's father looked at Vlad. "You requested to speak with me, your highness?"

Vlad nodded, placing his hands behind his back. "Yes, I wish to request your daughters hand in marriage."

"Well, this is certainly a surprise...a pleasant one, rest assured, but a surprise all the same, but so soon? You only just met her after all."

Vlad nodded. "I know, sir, but she is by far one of the most charming women I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. The marriage would bring your family up considerably in social status."

Rainia's father frowned lightly in thought. He did have a point; the marriage would most definitely help their social status. "Might I talk this over with my wife before I make my decision?"

Vlad nodded, bowing slightly. "Of course."

"Marie, if we agree, our social class will go up considerably." Rainia's father said to her mother, not even aware that their daughter was listening.

"That's it? That's all you care about?" Rainia burst out, staring incredulously at her mother and father. Shaking her head in disgust, she turned and ran out into the gardens. Her parents started after her, looking at each other with guilt-ridden faces.

Vlad, who had been admiring the gardens, looked at Rainia as she ran into the maze of rose bushes. He looked at the house then looked towards where she had run off. Turning on his heel, he followed her quietly.

Rainia sat, back to a small garden wall, her face buried in her skirts. Her shoulders were shaking as she cried her heart out. Vlad approached cautiously, not having much luck with emotions and such. "What do you want?" She asked, finally looking up, her make up running down her face, mixing with her tears.

Vlad sighed and sat next to her. "You're mad at me, aren't you?"

Rainia gave a bitter, hollow laugh. "No, not necessarily. More mad at my mother and father than anyone else."

Vlad nodded slowly, his green eyes staring ahead. "I'm sorry."

"For what? You haven't done anything to me..." Rainia asked before adding bitterly, "yet."

"I should have talked with you before even bothering approaching your father."

"The only reason they're considering it is because of their social status. You and I both know that." Rainia muttered, pulling her gloves off to wipe the tears from her face.

Vlad nodded. "I know."

"Why do you want me to marry you anyway?" Rainia asked suddenly, her curiosity getting to her.

Vlad chuckled low in his throat. "You're unlike any of the other women I've met. You don't want to marry me for my money or for the title of princess or queen. Plus, you aren't as stuck up as I thought you would be."

Rainia laughed out loud. "Not as stuck up as you thought I was? Well you're certainly not as arrogant as I thought you would be."

"Let's start over, shall we?" Vlad offered his hand to her. "I'm Vladimir."

Rainia took his hand and shook it awkwardly. "Rainia."

"See, now that wasn't so bad was it?"

Rainia smiled slightly. "I guess not."

"Now, " Vlad rose, and offered a hand to help her up. She took it gratefully and let him help her up. "Will you make me the happiest I have ever been and do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

Rainia looked at him, chewing her lip, unsure of what to say. "I thought you were supposed to ask my father for my hand."

Vlad shrugged. "You have to have a say in it as well."

"It's not proper." Rainia protested gently, knowing she was fighting a losing battle.

"To hell with propriety." Vlad replied, causing Rainia to laugh. "You should do that more often."

"Laugh?"

"Aye. You don't smile enough either."

"Oh, well excuse me." Rainia replied, her tone dripping with sarcasm.

"You're excused." Vlad countered, looking her in the eyes, completely straight faced. Rainia tried not to laugh but failed and started laughing, as did Vlad.

Rainia's mother watched from the upstairs window as Rainia and Vlad wandered the gardens together. "What-" Her husband began only to be shushed by his wife as she pointed to where Rainia was showing the gardens to Vlad. "Oh."

"Think she's still mad at us?"

"More than likely...she does know how to hold a grudge after all."

"She gets it from you." Marie said with a smirk, looking at her husband.

"She most certainly does not!"

"Well, she doesn't get it from me, that's for sure."


(A/N: End of Flashback...hehe, I'm so evil! )

Rainia chuckled to herself in the present, rising from her bed and grabbing her robe and slipping it on. Walking downstairs she entered her study only to have her jaw drop. There, on her desk, was a letter written by Vlad to her. Which meant not only had he been here last night but had also read her letter.

After reading the letter, she nodded. "This explains it...this is why I know how I died now." She said to herself as Alexia walked into the room.
Sign up to rate and review this story